• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Easily Spreading Natural Peanut Butter | Nut Butter Hacks

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties of using natural nut butters, specifically peanut butter. Some people have trouble stirring the oil that rises to the top, while others have found ways to make it easier. Suggestions include turning the jar upside down overnight, microwaving it, or stirring it in a separate bowl. Some brands, such as Skippy and JIF, have a smoother consistency and are easier to spread. However, some people are concerned about added ingredients like palm oil and sugar in these brands. The use of palm oil is a controversial topic, with some people believing it is fine to consume while others have concerns about its health effects.
debbie mc
Hi All;

I have a question for those of you who use natural peanut butter (or any of the other nut butters; Almond, Hazelnut, etc)

I have tried buying natural peanut butter in the past, however I have found it extremely difficult to use. It's sooooooo thick & hard that I haven't been able to get the oils that rise to the top actually stirred in enough to make it spreadable. MY DH has tried and he had a tough time and he's 6'5" and a strong man!

Don't laugh, but I even tried microwaving it a little bit to see if I could get the peanut butter softened enough to try to get it stirred......that was NOT the way to approach it....it ruined the peanut butter and I had to throw out the jar!:cry::cry:

So....What is your secret for getting the natural nut butters actually spreadable???:eek:

TIA

Cheers,
D.

Open it, and then close it again. Turn it upside down and let it rest on the lid overnight - or 24 hours. Then, turn it right side up, open it and stir it thoroughly (it will be easier to stir now too). After that you shouldn't have to stir it anymore. I do this with Natural Almond Butter, so I think it should work for PB too.

ChefBeckyD said:
Open it, and then close it again. Turn it upside down and let it rest on the lid overnight - or 24 hours. Then, turn it right side up, open it and stir it thoroughly (it will be easier to stir now too). After that you shouldn't have to stir it anymore. I do this with Natural Almond Butter, so I think it should work for PB too.

THANk YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ChefBecky!!!! I've wanted to switch to the natural nut butters, but after having to throw out a jar of it, I couldn't justify spending the extra $$ on them (even though there are tonnes of nutrition reasons why I should) until I could figure out how to make them useable.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
D.

I've tried a couple different brands of the natural peanut butter, and some are easier to stir than others. Some require refrigeration and others don't. The first brand I got, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the consistency was terrible (I can't remember what brand it was...I'd have to see it on the shelf to remember it). When it was brand new, it took a lot of mixing to get the oil incorporated, but it wasn't too hard. I'd use a knife and slice down into the PB over and over again. But once it was refrigerated, it made it really hard to spread.

I switched to Skippy natural. It doesn't separate like the others and tastes similar to the stuff we grew up with.

We usually use Smuckers. My husband usually dumps it all into a big bowl, stirs it up good, then adds it back to the jar.

I looked at using Skippy once because it was cheaper than Smuckers. I remember reading the label and not choosing it for something listed on it but I can't remember exactly what. I'm thinking maybe it was added sugar which I need to avoid.

JIFs Natural is yummy and regular PB type consistancy and easily spreadable.

I think Smuckers actually sells a peanut butter stirring attachment that fits their jars. :) It's quite cute, but the shipping cost makes it not worth it for me. Maybe it is changed since they came up with it several years ago.

DebinNC said:
We usually use Smuckers. My husband usually dumps it all into a big bowl, stirs it up good, then adds it back to the jar.

I looked at using Skippy once because it was cheaper than Smuckers. I remember reading the label and not choosing it for something listed on it but I can't remember exactly what. I'm thinking maybe it was added sugar which I need to avoid.

Alot of peanut butters that say "all natural" have added palm oil (in place of the hydrogenated oil) and added sugar. The palm oil is what is making it smooth, and keeping it from separating.

Isn't palm oil bad for you as well?

I believe palm oil is a saturated fat- not as bad as trans fat, but it's up there in the not-so-good-for-you arena.

heather223 said:
Isn't palm oil bad for you as well?

People have different feelings and beliefs about this. Personally, I think Palm Oil is fine, and would use it WAAAAYYY before I used canola or soy oils. I know that my thinking goes against the status quo, so I just tell people to research for themselves.

Here is a good article on Palm Oil.

http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/39863.aspx

I buy the Adams peanut butter and use our Mix N Chop to stir it up! It works perfect and I always tell people about it at parties! It actually gets down to the bottom of the jar and incorporates all the oils in the peanut butter. Love it!!

Another great use for one of the best kitchen tools every! Thanks, Jennifer!

1. What is natural peanut butter?

Natural peanut butter is made with only two ingredients: peanuts and salt. It does not contain any added oils, sugars, or preservatives.

2. How is natural peanut butter different from regular peanut butter?

Regular peanut butter often contains added oils, sugars, and preservatives to improve taste and texture. Natural peanut butter is made with just peanuts and salt, making it a healthier option.

3. Does natural peanut butter need to be refrigerated?

Yes, natural peanut butter should be refrigerated after opening to prevent the natural oils from separating and to maintain freshness. Simply stir before using if the oils have separated.

4. Can I use natural peanut butter in recipes that call for regular peanut butter?

Yes, you can use natural peanut butter in any recipe that calls for regular peanut butter. However, the texture and taste may be slightly different due to the lack of added oils and sugars.

5. Is natural peanut butter suitable for those with peanut allergies?

No, natural peanut butter is not suitable for those with peanut allergies as it is still made with peanuts. Those with allergies should avoid all peanut products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Shannen
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Windy City Pampered Chef
Back