• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thyroid Test Results: Normal Range, but Low T4 and High TSH? What's Next?

can you explain more?Your thyroid needs adequate levels of D3 to function normally. Many medications and supplements can interfere with thyroid function.
raebates
Staff member
I would have PMd or emailed people, but I couldn't remember who had asked me to keep them informed about my thyroid tests. :blushing:

My Free T3 is right smack dab in the middle of the range. However, while they're still within the normal range, my Free T4 is somewhat low and my TSH somewhat high. My doctor told me that if I were already on thyroid medication he'd suggest adjusting it. Since I'm not currently on meds, he would prefer that I wait a couple of months and then re-test. That will give him an idea of whether that's my normal or the levels are changing. He will also test me at that time for anemia, since that can cause many of my symptoms. That's fine with me. I hate to add extra meds to my regime if I don't have to. On the other hand, I want my energy, stamina, and clear head back.

The good news is that the rest of my levels are pretty good. My A1C could be a bit lower. Come to find out I've not been taking my diabetes meds in the optimal manner. I should be taking them 1/2 hour before my meal. Who knew? And, in the interest of full disclosure, my LDL is 5 points higher than they'd like for a diabetic. He suggested that I increase my niacin. (I refuse to take cholesterol-lowering drugs, especially when my cholesterol is well within the guidelines for anyone else.)

He told me that exercise is good for my sluggishness and becoming easily fatigued. I told him that Monday through Friday I do 30 minutes on the bike. Saturdays I do 20 minutes. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I strength train with weights. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday I do yoga stretches. He said that it sounded like I had the exercise thing covered. :rolleyes:

I've made an appointment with my alternative health adviser for tomorrow morning. I'm anxious to hear what she has to say about my symptoms.

Thanks for the update Rae. I'll be interested to know what your Alternative Practitioner says too.

I'm just curious why they didn't test for Anemia when they did the other testing...that's a pretty common test, especially with your symptoms.

The original tests that were ordered were my standard labs in preparation for my regular diabetes check-ups: blood sugar, triglycerides, cholesterol, and kidney function. I had called to ask for the thyroid tests to be added. The nurse I talked to asked a couple of questions necessary to prove to my insurance that they were necessary tests, but she didn't make any suggestions. If I had talked with my doctor he probably would have.

I'm curious to see what the adjustment in time on your diabetes meds will do for you. I think it will make a noticeable difference.

janetupnorth said:
I'm curious to see what the adjustment in time on your diabetes meds will do for you. I think it will make a noticeable difference.

Me, too. I re-read all of my prescription info. It says "Take with meals." So, I was taking the medication as I sat down to eat my meals. From what my doctor said, the whole "take it 1/2 hour before the meal" thing is a suggestion from a new study.

I know that some medications and supplements are absorbed more easily into the system when the digestive juices are flowing well during the digestion of food. I just thought that was the way it worked with my diabetes medication. I just need to stop thinking. :cool:

raebates said:
Me, too. I re-read all of my prescription info. It says "Take with meals." So, I was taking the medication as I sat down to eat my meals. From what my doctor said, the whole "take it 1/2 hour before the meal" thing is a suggestion from a new study.

I know that some medications and supplements are absorbed more easily into the system when the digestive juices are flowing well during the digestion of food. I just thought that was the way it worked with my diabetes medication.
I just need to stop thinking. :cool:
You're in the right place, a whole lot of people around here are experts at it.

Have they tested your D3 levels? I was told that even if your thyroid levels are within the "normal" range that your thyroid can't function correctly without proper D3 levels.

REALLY? Which med? Mine is Metformin and my doc specifically reccomended I make it my "desert" because of its digestive effects.

Thyroid meds are the tiniest pill imaginable ... which is why I forget it so easily.

Thanks for updating us.

Stampaholic1961 said:
Have they tested your D3 levels? I was told that even if your thyroid levels are within the "normal" range that your thyroid can't function correctly without proper D3 levels.

I'm not familiar with D3. I'll look into that before I have my next blood work done.

Di, I take Glucovance. It's a combination of two different meds. It was this medication combo specifically that my doctor was speaking of. If your doctor told you to make yours dessert, stick with his or her instructions.

When I thought I was going through a thyroid issue, my dr ran the full panel and couldn't find anything out of the normal range, so she decided to send me to a sleep doctor.
That has been my whole trouble all along. They hooked me up with a cpap machine and I feel so much better. I am not as sluggish (still tired, but getting better all the time), my anxiety is better and I have dropped 8 lbs. since I started the machine in January. They said you would be suprised at how much messed up sleep patterns can affect almost every facet of your health from mental to weight to metabolism and fatigue.
Just wanted to let you know what I found out.

Leslie, I've read that many times, about poor sleeping patterns messing up everything else. Glad it's working for you, and what an added benefit theh weight loss is. Maybe I should get one of those machines. :)

Rae, I am curious as to what your Alternative Practitioner will say, too. IMO (and I know you didn't ask for it) is that everyone should be getting 30 minutes of cardio every day and continue yoga and weight lifting as normal. Cardio really helps with diabetes and cholesterol levels. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I've read many times and many places that exercise is one of the best ways to keep those two conditions under control.

I hope everything gets figured out and you get back your energy, stamina, and clear head.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're in the right place, a whole lot of people around here are experts at it.

ROFLOL! Thanks for the morning laugh!

I have Fibromyalgia and Charcot-Marie-Tooth so some of your symptoms are similar to mine. For me the neuropathy pain I have in my feet and legs stops me from being active (I relate it to being hit with a sledge hammer to my lower legs and feet). My medication is giving some trouble right now. I take Cymbalta (yes I know it is an anti-depressant, but I take it for the neuropathy) I recently had to increase my dose for break through pain, and that causes less sleep at night and more fatigue during the day. I went from maybe one nap every once in a while to sometimes 2-3. My Dr and I have determined I need to decide which I want to live with fatigue or pain.Right now I am on a trial to determine which I want to live with, so far no results it's only been two days.

Di_Can_Cook said:
REALLY? Which med? Mine is Metformin and my doc specifically reccomended I make it my "desert" because of its digestive effects.

Thyroid meds are the tiniest pill imaginable ... which is why I forget it so easily.

Thanks for updating us.

I found that eating sand really messes with my digestive system.

...on medicines, ask your PHARMACIST when it is best to take it. They best know the composition of the medicine, extended release, etc., and when it is best to take it.

Many are made to release throughout the day, others are more instantaneous. Each med is different.

tlag1986 said:
I have Fibromyalgia and Charcot-Marie-Tooth so some of your symptoms are similar to mine. For me the neuropathy pain I have in my feet and legs stops me from being active (I relate it to being hit with a sledge hammer to my lower legs and feet).

My medication is giving some trouble right now. I take Cymbalta (yes I know it is an anti-depressant, but I take it for the neuropathy) I recently had to increase my dose for break through pain, and that causes less sleep at night and more fatigue during the day. I went from maybe one nap every once in a while to sometimes 2-3. My Dr and I have determined I need to decide which I want to live with fatigue or pain.

Right now I am on a trial to determine which I want to live with, so far no results it's only been two days.

Wow...they really used that drug for that?
Keep in good contact with your doctor on how that makes you feel. That drug is over-prescribed for things...don't get me started on drug companies and doctors...

Anyway, I know 2 people with very personal experiences with being prescribed that and both had to get off because it did really odd things to them.

I hope your doctor finds a good balance for you.

janetupnorth said:
Wow...they really used that drug for that?
Keep in good contact with your doctor on how that makes you feel. That drug is over-prescribed for things...don't get me started on drug companies and doctors...

Anyway, I know 2 people with very personal experiences with being prescribed that and both had to get off because it did really odd things to them.

I hope your doctor finds a good balance for you.

My neurologist swears by it. She uses it and Lyrica for Fibromyalgia all the time. My DB and Sis also have CMT and they take Lyrica for it. The drugs literally take all the pain away. It is amazing when you live in constant pain and all of a sudden there is none.

CMT is a neurological muscular degenerative disease that will only worsen with age, but I seem to have a very mild case. My siblings can barely walk. With the Cymbalta I can now walk without a constant limp, but I do tire easily.

Being a nurse I don't like to take many medications, so I am glad I only take Cymbalta and a Hormone (post hysterectomy).

tlag1986 said:
My neurologist swears by it. She uses it and Lyrica for Fibromyalgia all the time. My DB and Sis also have CMT and they take Lyrica for it. The drugs literally take all the pain away. It is amazing when you live in constant pain and all of a sudden there is none.

CMT is a neurological muscular degenerative disease that will only worsen with age, but I seem to have a very mild case. My siblings can barely walk. With the Cymbalta I can now walk without a constant limp, but I do tire easily.

Being a nurse I don't like to take many medications, so I am glad I only take Cymbalta and a Hormone (post hysterectomy).

Well, it is good that it is a good drug for something!

Often that happens where it works for something other than its intent. The people I know who tried it have OCD or depression and it really messed with their thoughts/mind too much.

Every body chemistry is different so doctors have to think and patients have to communicate.

JAE said:
Rae, I am curious as to what your Alternative Practitioner will say, too. IMO (and I know you didn't ask for it) is that everyone should be getting 30 minutes of cardio every day and continue yoga and weight lifting as normal. Cardio really helps with diabetes and cholesterol levels. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I've read many times and many places that exercise is one of the best ways to keep those two conditions under control.

Exercise is definitely the best way to keep those conditions (and many others) under control. My routine was suggested by one of my physicians and applauded by my Alternative Health Adviser. Most of the health professionals I've consulted (both standard and alternative) encourage taking one day a week off. From what I understand it allows the body time to rest and heal. It also helps to lower the chance of burnout.

If it makes you feel any better, that's just the directed, focused exercise I get. I also do all of those things like parking in a far space so I have to walk to the door of a business that increase my overall activity level.

I love my Alternative Health Adviser. Her name is Judy.Judy said first that she was glad my doctor didn't rush to put me on thyroid medication. Not that it might not be needed in the future, but she thought a couple of other things might work better for me right now. She suggested a blend of things to cleanse my liver and get my endocrine system/adrenals back in balance. Judy said she thought these would help my thyroid to function better.She also suggested a something to help my body deal with the mental and emotional stress I'm going through while dealing with my friend's eminent death. It's something I'll be taking for 10 days to reduce cortisol and counter-balance other stress-induced hormones. It isn't anything that will dull my grief. It will just help my body deal with the aftermath of my emotions. Finally, she told me to get upside down once or twice a day. She said that getting upside down (think kid sitting with legs on the back of the couch, not Mork from Ork) will help my system drain a little better. She applauded once again my schedule--morning exercise, evenly-spaced meals and snacks, morning prayer/meditation, and evening wind-down routine. She told me that she likes working with easy people like me. I do what I'm supposed to and do my best to be an informed patient. She just reminded me to make sure that I build in days to simply breathe deeply and experience relaxed joy. I'll go back in 2 weeks to see how I'm adjusting to the compounds. If I'm still struggling, she'll offer a couple of options for dealing specifically with my thyroid.

rae, have you ever discussed a cleanse with Judy?

I've done one and felt great before and after. Too bad I went back to my old habbits. I'm going to do one again in March.

I know they are contreversial and all, but I'm just stating my own personal experience was great!

Judy told me that usually she starts people with a cleanse. After asking a few questions about my bowel habits, she was convinced that I didn't need that. (If you've done a cleanse, you'll understand what I'm saying without a need to get too graphic.)

Yeah, I understand. ;)

I'm beginning to notice a difference. It's a gradual thing. I have a little more get-up-and-go in the morning, and don't think I'm tiring as quickly.

Rae,
You might want to check out this website about thyroid. Wilson's Temperature Syndrome -- Hypothyroidism -- Hypothyroid -- Thyroid disease
I haven't found a doctor in our area who deals with it but I have used his thyroid supplements. They were working pretty well. Then I got really sick & couldn't keep anything down. I got out of the habit of taking them then. I need to get back on them. I bought their book etc. I gave a copy of the CD to my doctor to see if he would be willing to work with me on it but I haven't heard from him yet.Vitamin D3 is produced by the sun. Lots of people have low levels because we either aren't out in the sun or if we are, we use sunscreen which blocks its production. The Goshen Cancer Center is using D3 in the treatment & prevention of cancer. If you look in the store for vitamin D, make sure the ingredients list says Cholecalciferol. This is different than the vitamin D that is added to milk etc.

I feel so much better. Four or five days after starting my re-balancing program, I felt things moving in a better direction. It was no longer a Herculean effort to get my body moving in the morning. The Furry Guy said he noticed that I was sleeping better. (He works second shift and comes home when I've been asleep for a couple of hours. He said that for a while it seemed like I was really restless and not in a particularly deep sleep. That has changed.)By the time I had finished my 10-day program, I could tell that I was getting more done. I was no longer dragging by mid-day. I went to see my Alternative Health Adviser today for a follow-up visit. She said that it seems like I'm back in balance. She warned me that these things are often cyclical, so to pay close attention. If we catch things as they start toward a downward slide it will be easier to right them quickly. I also talked to her about ear candling. The woman who used to candle my ears retired. Judy sells ear candles at her shop. I told her that I've never done them at home. My cousin suggested it last summer, but I pointed out that I really like the experience of going to someone. First, the idea of The Furry Guy with fire near my hair is a bit frightening. Second, the woman who candled my ears took the time to massage my face. The lights were low. Soft chimes were playing. The place smelled wonderful. She spoke in a soothing voice. It was a very relaxing experience. Judy said, "I know just the woman for you." I called. I have an appointment for March 3. It works out well because I'll already be in town for a hair appointment.Oh, yeah, and by the time I left I had a February Catalog Show and a new customer. One of Judy's employees asked to order something. A customer found out I was PC, then Judy found out we have bamboo spoons.It's been a good day.

raebates said:
I feel so much better. Four or five days after starting my re-balancing program, I felt things moving in a better direction. It was no longer a Herculean effort to get my body moving in the morning. The Furry Guy said he noticed that I was sleeping better. (He works second shift and comes home when I've been asleep for a couple of hours. He said that for a while it seemed like I was really restless and not in a particularly deep sleep. That has changed.)

By the time I had finished my 10-day program, I could tell that I was getting more done. I was no longer dragging by mid-day.

I went to see my Alternative Health Adviser today for a follow-up visit. She said that it seems like I'm back in balance. She warned me that these things are often cyclical, so to pay close attention. If we catch things as they start toward a downward slide it will be easier to right them quickly.

I also talked to her about ear candling. The woman who used to candle my ears retired. Judy sells ear candles at her shop. I told her that I've never done them at home. My cousin suggested it last summer, but I pointed out that I really like the experience of going to someone. First, the idea of The Furry Guy with fire near my hair is a bit frightening. Second, the woman who candled my ears took the time to massage my face. The lights were low. Soft chimes were playing. The place smelled wonderful. She spoke in a soothing voice. It was a very relaxing experience. Judy said, "I know just the woman for you." I called. I have an appointment for March 3. It works out well because I'll already be in town for a hair appointment.

Oh, yeah, and by the time I left I had a February Catalog Show and a new customer. One of Judy's employees asked to order something. A customer found out I was PC, then Judy found out we have bamboo spoons.

It's been a good day.

Rae - that is so good! I'm glad Judy could help. I love my alternative practitioner too, Judy sounds like she alot like Lynn (mine!). So, it's by taking something for your adrenal system, and it's helping your thyroid?

I take an alternative compound for my adrenal system, along with what I take for my thyroid, and saying that it is cyclical reminded me that Lynn has adjusted mine a couple times. She had to adjust it when the weather got cold in the Fall, because she said that your adrenal system (including the Thyroid) has to work harder to maintain itself when the temperature is colder. So, possibly, when it's warmer, you feel better? (maybe that's why there are so many Snowbirds in MI who travel south for the winter?)

Oh - congrats on the Contacts and booking too! Whoo Hooo!

Thanks, Becky. Yes, what I took was supposed to give my adrenal system a kick-start. She said I had sort of overworked that system and kind of blown a fuse. It evidently worked. As for the weather, I usually get more energetic in the winter and slow down in the summer. I'm not a hot-weather gal. I think that's probably why I became so aware of this problem. If it had happened during the summer I would have attributed it to hot weather blahs. Then again, I'm really weird. ;)

An update:I realized recently that I was feeling much better, but I still wasn't feeling like myself. In addition I noticed 2 disturbing things. First, I've started having trouble sleeping again. Second, I've lost some weight in my face but begun gaining it around my waist. Neither of those is good things. That's when I realized I'm still functioning a little below par. Let's say my normal energy and concentration level as 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. When I started this thread I was at about a 4. By the time I adjusted to the initial treatments and started getting massages (which got rid of my headache), I was at about a 7. I was feeling so much better I didn't stop to really consider whether I was back to myself. I'm not. Seven is not nearly close enough to 10. I figured it might be depression. My son left the nest. My best buddy died. My husband's hours got cut, causing some serious belt-tightening. I took on some new responsibilities. All of those added up. I also considered that it might be hormonal--related to menopause. I'm 46 and have only one working ovary after a hysterectomy 3 years ago. That would be logical, too.So, I made an appointment with my Alternative Health Adviser. She thinks it's a pancreas issue. We know my pancreas is compromised since I have diabetes. She suggested that I cut out all carbs for 3 days. We talked about how to keep my blood sugar on an even keel without carbs. After those 3 days, I'll evaluate and contact her. If I'm starting to notice a difference, I'll continue for a total of 2 to 3 weeks. That should be enough time for my pancreas to recuperate. Then I'll be able to add my whole grains and other good carbs back in. So, I was partly right. The pancreas produces insulin, which is a hormone. That could be throwing my whole endocrine system out of whack.

Well, completely cutting out carbs has become a problem. I'm adding back in just a little whole grains (rolled or steel-cut oats) and some fruits and vegetables to keep my blood sugar above the danger line.

krzymomof4 said:
When I thought I was going through a thyroid issue, my dr ran the full panel and couldn't find anything out of the normal range, so she decided to send me to a sleep doctor.
That has been my whole trouble all along. They hooked me up with a cpap machine and I feel so much better. I am not as sluggish (still tired, but getting better all the time), my anxiety is better and I have dropped 8 lbs. since I started the machine in January. They said you would be suprised at how much messed up sleep patterns can affect almost every facet of your health from mental to weight to metabolism and fatigue.
Just wanted to let you know what I found out.

Leslie,

What symptoms were you having that even prompted you to go to the dr??? I have been told many many times from a few friends and relatives that they think I have sleep apnea. I have had 2 nasal surgeries (septoplasty and turbinate reduction) and still snore bad (I also do have allergies and asthma). Do you just call your primary dr and ask for a sleep test??? I really don't want a cpap machine as my real dad had one when he stayed here once and I honestly don't think I could do that at night (too noisy). I also keep seeing an ad for a place here in town that says to call them to get rid of your cpap machine - must be for some procedure or something so that has always got me wondering lately. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rae - so sorry to hear about all you have been through lately. I am so glad to hear about what your alternative med dr is trying out with you. Definitely looking forward to hearing more about your results. Hugs and prayers to you and your family!

I'm feeling great. I'm sleeping better. I have more energy. The brain fog has lifted. I don't know that I'm back to 100%, but I'm much better than I was. This seems to be working for me.

Related to Thyroid Test Results: Normal Range, but Low T4 and High TSH? What's Next?

1. What does it mean if my thyroid test results show a normal range but low T4 and high TSH?

If your thyroid test results show a normal range but low T4 and high TSH, it could indicate a potential thyroid issue. T4 is a thyroid hormone that helps regulate your metabolism, and TSH is a hormone produced by your pituitary gland that signals your thyroid to produce T4. A low T4 level could suggest an underactive thyroid, while a high TSH level could indicate your body is working harder to produce enough T4. It's important to follow up with your doctor to determine the cause and potential next steps.

2. My Free T3 is in the middle of the range - is that good?

Having your Free T3 level in the middle of the range is generally considered to be within a healthy range. However, it's important to consider your overall thyroid function and consult with your doctor about any concerns.

3. Should I be worried if my Free T4 is low and my TSH is high?

While it's always important to follow up with your doctor about any concerning test results, having a low Free T4 and high TSH could indicate an underactive thyroid. However, it's important to consider other factors and follow up with your doctor for a proper diagnosis.

4. What should I do if my doctor suggests waiting a couple of months to re-test my thyroid levels?

If your doctor recommends waiting a couple of months to re-test your thyroid levels, it's important to follow their advice and schedule a follow-up appointment. This will allow your doctor to monitor any changes in your levels and determine the best course of action for your specific situation.

5. Can exercise help with my symptoms of sluggishness and fatigue?

Yes, exercise can be beneficial for managing symptoms of sluggishness and fatigue. However, it's important to consult with your doctor before starting any new exercise routine. They may also recommend specific exercises or activities that can help improve your energy levels.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies