• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Taxes - Those That Go to a Professional Cpa

In summary, it is cheaper to have a CPA do your taxes than to do them yourself. However, you can still do them yourself if you are comfortable with Turbo Tax.
jj16
Gold Member
I've never had to take my taxes to a CPA before now because they were dirt simple. With the deductions I don't feel so comfortable doing my own this year.

When I take them to the CPA is it cheaper if you make photocopies of your receipts?

I also rarely do paper checks (probably should have for proof) did I mess up by not doing this?

Finally, do you separate under different categories and if so what categories do you use?

Thanks

jj16:confused:

My CPA never asked to see my receipts. I just had to give her a report of my expenses. I used Microsoft Money so all I had to do was print out a list of my expenses by category and she figured it out. She would ask questions if anything was unclear.Now we do them ourselves with Turbo Tax as DH no longer has his business.

Judy,
I used Turbo tax. I still do my own taxes for my llc (different program) and PC. P3 keeps track of everything if you remember to enter it :blushing: Then Turbo Tax is super simple! Walks you thru everything! I had a professional do mine for years when I had my salon and then we found out he filed them wrong 4 years in a row! Big mess w IRS, so now I do it myself. Just my 2 cents.:p

we used a tax person last yr and we will go back to turbo tax. Much cheaper, we got the same back with a tax consultant when we did turbo tax

My DH wants us to have a friend that we go to church with who is an accountant do our taxes. We've always just done Turbo Tax and did just fine. But now DH thinks that there's just too many new rules and with my business it's getting harder and more confusing. I feel weird having this other man do our taxes, I don't know why. It's like hiring your minister to come clean your toilet. :D I just am embarrassed to show him my business receipts and how much I spend on stuff. :rolleyes:

I've used two different accountants. For both people, I came in with my list of expenses and they figured out what category they went into for deductions. I left the first guy b/c it seemed he put things in diff. categories each year and didn't really understand our biz (plus he screwed up the SS#s on my friend's return). Last year I went to a woman. In her office for less than an hour and left with my returns. She said she'd bill me. More than a month later a bill for $300 came. Stupid me had not asked her what she charged. A friend referred her. I got a great deal on Turbo Tax this year at Costco (coupon for $10 off good until the 17th). Since I have to spend all of the time pulling the #s together I figure I can plug them into the software and look at last year's return if I have any questions. I was just reading something about using a tax preparer. I may use someone every few years to catch up on any changes to the tax code. The best advice I think I got was to not claim a loss on your biz for several years in a row b/c then the IRS will view it as a hobby.

We used to go to a tax preparer BUT then switched to an accountant. The accountant seems to know a lot more as far as deductions for businesses that the tax preparer didn't even ask about or mention. In all the years that I've been in direct sales (8) the first 3 was with a tax preparer and we ended up having to pay in. Since I've been going to the accountant we've always got money back. The highest was close $3,000 :thumbup: and we do NOT have children. It's always been $98 until the one year I switched companies and came over to PC. And that was because I had to have an extra form showing the close out of the one business. I recommend an accountant over a tax preparer. JMHO:)

Related to Taxes - Those That Go to a Professional Cpa

What is a CPA?

A CPA, or Certified Public Accountant, is a professional who has met the education and experience requirements to become licensed by a state board of accountancy. They have the authority to offer a wide range of accounting services, including tax preparation, financial planning, and auditing.

Why should I hire a CPA for my taxes?

CPAs are highly trained and knowledgeable professionals who are well-versed in tax laws and regulations. They can help you navigate complex tax situations and ensure that your taxes are filed accurately and on time. Additionally, they can provide valuable tax planning advice to help you minimize your tax liability.

How much does it cost to hire a CPA for tax preparation?

The cost of hiring a CPA for tax preparation varies depending on the complexity of your tax situation, the location of the CPA, and the amount of time it takes to complete your taxes. Generally, you can expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $500 for individual tax preparation services.

What documents do I need to bring to my CPA for tax preparation?

You should bring all relevant documents related to your income, expenses, and deductions. This may include W-2s, 1099s, bank statements, mortgage statements, and receipts for charitable donations. It's a good idea to consult with your CPA beforehand to ensure you have all the necessary documents.

How can a CPA help me with tax planning?

A CPA can analyze your financial situation and provide advice on how to structure your finances to minimize your tax liability. They can also help you understand the tax implications of different financial decisions, such as buying a home or starting a business. By working with a CPA, you can make informed decisions that can save you money on your taxes in the long run.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jj16
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
jenniferm
  • floccies
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
GeorgiaPeach
  • chefmoseley