• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tax Question...what Is Everyones Opinion on This...

In summary, I think it would be better to get a CPA to do your taxes. I have had both experiences and the CPA experience is much more beneficial in the long run.
schel
What would be better? And why?
An accountant for taxes, or a computer program?
Schel

Funny, I just had an arguement with my DH about that. I want to get a program because we went to H&R Block last year and they totally screwed us. I think I can handle it myself. He wants to have a "professional" do it because we have refinanced our condo at least twice last year (long story).

I am SO intimidated by computer programs and the idea of doing it myself. I am afraid I'd screw something up. With an ex-husband who always seems to be waiting in the wings like a rabbid fox to find me screwing something up so he can pounce...I feel better having it done by a professional. Although, hearing so many of you saying H&R block screwed you up...that worries me.

AccountantI vote for CPA!!

You will want to find one that specializes in small businesses. The advantage to this is that they know the tax laws!

I've had both a private CPA and have gone to the Tax Jock-in-a-Box, and the only way I have felt that I got the best out of my taxes is TurboTax. I love it. Its easy, quick and painless...the most important.

We have an accountant, but it's also DH's best friend, so I trust him. Both my husband & I own are own business & he helps us get the most write-offs we can.

I have had mine done both ways. 1 year I went to H & R Block, turns out I got screwed. The next year I went to a now very good friend and he did them, got about $2500.00 more back!!! He is a private CPA. They seem to know more about the everyday running of a biz since they are doing their own! I am now claiming alot more in "writeoffs" than I did while H & R was doing them!

thechefofnorthbend said:
I've had both a private CPA and have gone to the Tax Jock-in-a-Box, and the only way I have felt that I got the best out of my taxes is TurboTax. I love it. Its easy, quick and painless...the most important.

I wish that one of you who is comfy with Turbo Tax lived neaby. Once I am SHOWN how to do something I can usually handle it myself from then on...but if I go buy Turbo Tax and open the box and try to start it - I know i'll be too freaked out to do it.

We do Turbo Tax every year. I think we are going to do it again this year. Next year we are going to do Turbo Tax and use an accountant because 2007 will be the first year that both my husband and I are self employed.

I'm with you Carolyn; I'd love to try it myself, but I'm too chicken! My CPA charges us about $80, and we have the peace of mind knowing it's done right. Plus, I don't have to worry about finding the time to do it--I just take him my info & it's done in a few days--that way I don't have to take my time & focus off my biz! (we were left with bad feelings with H&R Block too)

I'm curious what everyone's "bad feelings" and "getting screwed" by H&R Block entails. I've never had problems with them, but, I've never checked to see if we got all we could - like using a CPA to check them.

We have always used Turbo Tax. It's so easy!

cmdtrgd said:
I'm curious what everyone's "bad feelings" and "getting screwed" by H&R Block entails. I've never had problems with them, but, I've never checked to see if we got all we could - like using a CPA to check them.

Kate: this is just my experience. The one year we used them was the first year of my PC biz (not a lot of sales either). We ended up OWING IN about $300; plus they charged us $200 to do it. Ever since we've gotten a refund (with me making more too) plus we get charged about $120 less with our CPA. Just what happened to me!

I have been preparing income taxes for over 10 years and selling pampered chef for 4 years. I think that you really need to know what items you can be deducting and being prepared for the tax preparer does not matter then if it is a CPA ($$$$$) or some just preparing income taxes ($$) One thing with H & R Block is that they do not ask you many questions about your business. If they dont see any mileage expense or any advertising theya re not likely to ask you those questions, it is their job tojust put down what you bring them. Just a few ideas on reminders of tax write offs:

Supplies: dish soap, laundry soap, or an expense each time you wash your aprons or dish towels, how about those dish towels you use at home to dry those PC items after a show. All of the paper, envelopes, stamps, paper clips pens etc that you use that you probably do not even think of everyday.

The ingredients for all the new recipes that you try out, you cannot go to a show and try a recipe for the first time, you need to practice at home and you may need to practice it a couple of times. All of those ingredients are tax deductible. When you get together with friends and take a dish to pass use your PC dishes and write off the ingredients. When you have a show in your own home write off all the food and beverage.

Any gifts that you purchase to give away , if they are PC and promoting your business why not write those off. If someone helps me with a big show I give them a PC item and wrtie it off. All the little give aways you may do. Free shipping for someone, write it all off.

Advertising, newspaper ads, clothing with PC logo on it, magnets etc.

Insurance: the $2.00 that is deducted from your checks each month is a tax wrtie off. I also have a rider on my homeowners insurance should something happen to cover my home based business. It is only like $35.00 a year extra so I write this off.

When you get your 1099-Misc the amount of money received and other income are both income to you, but all of the items that you have earned, free products, logo items, PC dollars to purchase supplies should all be written off as expenses also. So look at the bottom of your 1099_misc for those addes expenses.

Dont forget your website if you have one, and a portion of your internet service fee can be tax deductible.

Repairs and purchases for your computer.

Don't forget mileage. For every mile you drive for your business you will receive 48.5 cents for 2006 and
44.5 cents for 2007. This means for all those miles to the bank to deposit money, to the post office, to pick up supplies, to drop off catalogs, drop off an order, drop off items to your hostess, etc. I gear most of my trips out around doing things for PC and for personal and tax the tax wrtie off for the mileage.

Good luck girls

Anything you buy to promote or use in your business is a tax write off. It is not a fun job to track everything but when tax time comes you will be smiling.

I jusy wish my dh would write off some of the internet but he says he wont
we also do turbo tax and we have been using it for 6 yrs now

There is no reason why you should not be taking a protion of the internet bill if you are going on the website for PC and submitting your orders online and using the forum of chefsuccess. You should also be taking a portion of your turbo tax program as a write off on your business.

I am hoping my husband will do the internet thing this yr

To answer the screwed by H&R Block question- I paid $300 last year to prepare my PC taxes. She said that she couldn't put my biz on a schedule C because her computer wouldn't let her. She told me I had to file separetly, so I did. When it was checkout time our total was $425!! (personal and business). I am definetly going to get "TaxCut" this year because I DO NOT have that kind of money. I only made $650 last year and spent $300 on the business taxes!! I saw on the TaxCut commercial that they have free audit support if you get audited...

Last edited:
I love taxactonline. I have been using them for about 5 years. This is my first year with my business. But I feel confident they will be just as good. I have a friend who is an accountant and have asked him some questins about deductions.

I have used Jackson-Hewitt for the past two years. I have been impressed with the deductions they get us. My husband is a minister and for tax purposes he is considered self employed. Since we are both self employed with so many different things we can deduct I am scared to use Turbo Tax and do it myself.

I used to use H&R and didn't think about how we are getting bigger refunds now that we use someone else until you guys started talking about it :)

Well I use my families business.... which is H&R Block, those of you who have had such problems if you read and talk you will that H&R Block as a standard gaurentee if you have a problem we fix, so if you have a problem or don't like something we offer something for free called the double check challege, frankly I am sick and tired of deffending what my family does for a living, if you dont' like it just deal with it and move on to the next thing. And if you go to H&R Block and they dont' ask you question THEY are SUPPOSED TO we all have the same training!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I am sick and tired of the bashing!!! FYI if you live in Oregon anyone who prepares taxes and charges for it has to be licesnsed!! SO WE DO KNOW THE TAX LAWS~!!! That's why we spend nine months in classes!!

Leah - I wanted to know the reasons people were unhappy to see if it was something I could ask my H&R Block person about. I wanted to be informed, not unhappy.

I understand your point Kate, but to me it seems like, if someone has a problem with something they would go back to see if it can be fixed to begin with. It's good to be informed not unhappy

Leah,

I am sure no one meant to offend you personally. And I don't think it matters what business you are in, there will be people unhappy! We all know what it is like to have a bad experience with a customer or host and then hear about it around town...YIKES!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have used H&R in the past (Before PC) and it was fine. I felt that I was more comfortable with my CPA because I did feel like she knew all of the perks of owning a business since she has the write offs for her own!

I hope you have a better day! Remember to smile...:D :D :D :D :D :D

Leah- I totally understand your need to "defend" your family's business. Like you have said- each H&R Block is independently owned, but they all stick to the same training. While I understand that the tax preparers have been trained, some just don't care or obviously didn't pay attention in training. I don't feel like I am bashing your family's business when I explain my situation, just sharing my experience. I spent $300 on tax prep that could have cost $125 if she had just cared to ask someone else how to do it correctly.

As someone explained on the last thread about this- tax preparers are just like PC reps. We all get the same "training" but one person could take your money and screw you while another provides a wonderful service that keeps you coming back...people are still people no matter what "training" they have had...

Just my humble opinion...

Leah,
I am sorry you felt personally attacked. I am sure no one meant to offend you. We were all just looking for info and people were sharing their experiences. I am glad you spoke up though, because after so many had negative experiences with H&R it is GREAT to know about the guarantee H&R offers....so thanks for letting us know about it - that makes me feel more comfy with the idea of using H&R Block :)

ChefAlicia said:
You should also be taking a portion of your turbo tax program as a write off on your business.
This I do, and we even checked with the IRS directly and the advise us to do it. It is a business expense.

lacychef said:
I'm with you Carolyn; I'd love to try it myself, but I'm too chicken! My CPA charges us about $80, and we have the peace of mind knowing it's done right. Plus, I don't have to worry about finding the time to do it--I just take him my info & it's done in a few days--that way I don't have to take my time & focus off my biz! (we were left with bad feelings with H&R Block too)

That's cheap mine charges $125.00.

Gillian- I also paid around $400 for my taxes last year. That is absolutely rediculous. I will look for someone new this year I think.

Leah-I am not bashing you or your family but I do think that someone messed up. Yes it happened to be at H&R Block. Independently owned is the key words. You all had nothing to do with this incident. I am sorry you felt bashed upon.

The point is not all H&R Block offices are Independently owned some of them a good majority of them are COMPANY owned... if it doesnt' have a sign that says Independently owed it means it's company owned. If someone messed up then bring it back and have it checked..... it's really a rather simple thing to do!!

We do ours using software and then take everyting to H&R to have them reviewed to make sure we did everything right. This will be our 1st time with the schedule C so we'll see how it works out.

I believe you should look into "Writing off" free products you have received. Deductions are for expenses, not income.

chesse said:
I believe you should look into "Writing off" free products you have received. Deductions are for expenses, not income.
How do you do this?

Professional CPA ALL THE WAYAnd when I mean Professional - it's someone who does it year round, not just a fill in durring tax season.

I have, since I was 16 always used a professional CPA. I work in the financial industry, and have seen the nightmeres that people have when they try to do their own taxes. Furthermore, should you be audited, the CPA will handle the discussion with the IRS, not yourself. What are you going to tell the IRS should they ever contact you - I used this program I bought for $29 at the store. Tax laws are consitantly changing, I want someone who is up on it, and is trained appropriately on it.

ChefAlicia said:
I have been preparing income taxes for over 10 years and selling pampered chef for 4 years. I think that you really need to know what items you can be deducting and being prepared for the tax preparer does not matter then if it is a CPA ($$$$$) or some just preparing income taxes ($$) One thing with H & R Block is that they do not ask you many questions about your business. If they dont see any mileage expense or any advertising theya re not likely to ask you those questions, it is their job tojust put down what you bring them. Just a few ideas on reminders of tax write off:
Supplies: dish soap, laundry soap, or an expense each time you wash your aprons or dish towels, how about those dish towels you use at home to dry those PC items after a show. All of the paper, envelopes, stamps, paper clips pens etc that you use that you probably do not even think of everyday.

The ingredients for all the new recipes that you try out, you cannot go to a show and try a recipe for the first time, you need to practice at home and you may need to practice it a couple of times. All of those ingredients are tax deductible. When you get together with friends and take a dish to pass use your PC dishes and write off the ingredients. When you have a show in your own home write off all the food and beverage.

Any gifts that you purchase to give away , if they are PC and promoting your business why not write those off. If someone helps me with a big show I give them a PC item and wrtie it off. All the little give aways you may do. Free shipping for someone, write it all off.

Insurance: the $2.00 that is deducted from your checks each month is a tax wrtie off. I also have a rider on my homeowners insurance should something happen to cover my home based business. It is only like $35.00 a year extra so I write this off.

When you get your 1099-Misc the amount of money received and other income are both income to you, but all of the items that you have earned, free products, logo items, PC dollars to purchase supplies should all be written off as expenses also. So look at the bottom of your 1099_misc for those addes expenses.

Dont forget your website if you have one, and a portion of your internet service fee can be tax deductible.

Don't forget mileage. For every mile you drive for your business you will receive 48.5 cents for 2006 and
44.5 cents for 2007. This means for all those miles to the bank to deposit money, to the post office, to pick up supplies, to drop off catalogs, drop off an order, drop off items to your hostess, etc. I gear most of my trips out around doing things for PC and for personal and tax the tax wrtie off for the mileage.

Good luck girls

Anything you buy to promote or use in your business is a tax write off. It is not a fun job to track everything but when tax time comes you will be smiling.

Wow! Want to be hired to do my taxes this year? I'm not joking. Contact me if you're interested. [email protected].

Last edited:
chesse said:

I understood that these are a wash. The are income, then expensed as business supplies.

You can't expense an income. They are opposites. But let's say you earn leadership money. You claim it as an income and then you spend it on business. THAT is a wash. You can't SPEND a piece of cookware.

earn productsIf you are reinvesting the products you earn back into your business, they are tax deductable. If you hadn't earned them you would have spent $ buying them, so that would be an business expense. Just as if you expense items you add to your kit, you would do the same for products you earned that you use in your kit.

We have our offices open year around... Not every H&R Block office in a town is open year around but my family keeps are's open. We always going to classes, so I guess it is each persons on opionion, just if your one of those that likes to be the one complaining that something is wrong and never does anything about it to begin with is when I feel like my families business as a whole is being bashed on. Not to say that you are.... just what I picked up from others.

ltkacz said:
And when I mean Professional - it's someone who does it year round, not just a fill in durring tax season.

I have, since I was 16 always used a professional CPA. I work in the financial industry, and have seen the nightmeres that people have when they try to do their own taxes. Furthermore, should you be audited, the CPA will handle the discussion with the IRS, not yourself. What are you going to tell the IRS should they ever contact you - I used this program I bought for $29 at the store. Tax laws are consitantly changing, I want someone who is up on it, and is trained appropriately on it.

I am sorry that someone was upset by an H & R comment, each H & R block is owned individually then you are aware that there is a good apple among some that are not so good. I am sorry that you families attitude about treating people nicely is not shared by all. I meant no harm to your families business.

We have used TurboTax every year and we have refinanced our house several times and have had to businesses and NEVER had a problem. It checks everything for you on an audit check and as long as you have your info correct to put into it, it is not a problem. I have a friend who is a CPA and he told me he could do my taxes for me and take my money, but like he said if you can use Pampered Partner, you can use TurboTax. They are equally easy to use.

ChefAlicia said:
I have been preparing income taxes for over 10 years and selling pampered chef for 4 years. I think that you really need to know what items you can be deducting and being prepared for the tax preparer does not matter then if it is a CPA ($$$$$) or some just preparing income taxes ($$) One thing with H & R Block is that they do not ask you many questions about your business. If they dont see any mileage expense or any advertising theya re not likely to ask you those questions, it is their job tojust put down what you bring them. Just a few ideas on reminders of tax write offs:

Good luck girls

Speaking of write-offs=
Can I write of the fees, Uniforms and Books for my Culinary School since it's in the same field. I already plan on using the Hope School credit for part of it.

Jennie4PC said:
I jusy wish my dh would write off some of the internet but he says he wont
we also do turbo tax and we have been using it for 6 yrs now
Do you do it on-line? or buy the program?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingwithdot
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • scavallero
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • ahammons