• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Support Amish Community with Donation at Upcoming Auction

In summary, an Amish school will be hosting an auction next week to raise money for the community. It is a community of about 80 families, and about 40 students. The drive is about 17 miles or more north of my work, and even further from my home. One of the members of the congregation has no moral objection to a cel phone, but at least one of the members of the community would prefer that the auctioneer wears clothes that are respectful of their views.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
An Amish school will be hosting an auction next week to raise money for the community. It is a community of about 80 families, and about 40 students. The drive is about 17 miles or more north of my work, and even further from my home. At least one of the members of the congregation has no moral objection to a cel phone.

I'm debating donating a basket of items that don't seem to be moving at fairs, along with a certficate for free product with a show. This has not had the desired effect at other fairs, but I'm thinking that most of our products are Amish-friendly (no power) and would resonate with these ladies. But would they have issues with a "Yankee" coming up there to do a show, peddling products, and driving more than 20 miles to do so?

I wouldn't think so, I would just suggest that when you go that you wear clothes that are respectful of their views (long skirt, shirt that covers up to the neckline and has sleeves-usually elbow lenght at least).
I know at conference that there was a group of Mennonite women. I know it is not the same, but I think they are similar in many of their views.

And play down the microwavable qualities of our stoneware. :)

There are many successful Amish (perhaps the gals that Leslie thought were Mennonite) consultants in our business. This could be an awesome recruiting opportunity.These are women who cook a great deal and can utilize tools that don't need electricity. As mentioned, I would suggest you dress modestly. Also, let them get their hands on the tools.

I'm not a skirt kinda gal .... I'm wondering if I have to wear one when I put on my "work hat" and go out there for said auction. I personally believe the skirts I have, especially long ones, are immodest, and I don't like working in them. And it's 90 degrees in the shade out here. Besides, my hair is pixie short. They'd know I'm a "Yankee" anyway.My work sent me out to a community dinner held at a Mosque not long ago. The next day, I got bombarded with questions from coworkers who assumed I "covered." I personally believe it is DISRESPECTFUL to do so because you're pretending to be something you're not.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I personally believe the skirts I have, especially long ones, are immodest, and I don't like working in them.

Hmmm. That sentence created a visual I just can't get rid of. Thanks Di!

I just hate the big, loose, wrinkled skirts that used to be in style. (Those are the only long ones I have.) I think they call too much attention to the "badonky donk" or however you spell it!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I just hate the big, loose, wrinkled skirts that used to be in style. (Those are the only long ones I have.) I think they call too much attention to the "badonky donk" or however you spell it!

That explains it perfectly. Thanks!

Remembered what they're called. Broomstick skirts. Icky.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'm not a skirt kinda gal .... I'm wondering if I have to wear one when I put on my "work hat" and go out there for said auction. I personally believe the skirts I have, especially long ones, are immodest, and I don't like working in them. And it's 90 degrees in the shade out here. Besides, my hair is pixie short. They'd know I'm a "Yankee" anyway.

My work sent me out to a community dinner held at a Mosque not long ago. The next day, I got bombarded with questions from coworkers who assumed I "covered." I personally believe it is DISRESPECTFUL to do so because you're pretending to be something you're not.

I think about this kind of thing a lot. I grew up on Hawaii, and was just amazed years ago to learn that many cultures consider bare arms to be immodest. I agree that it is disrespectful to pretend to be something you are not, but at the same time, it is appropriate to cover what they want you to cover when you are in their "house."--just like you'd probably be slightly put off if a consultant showed up at your house in daisy dukes and a halter top. (not at all immodest by some folks standards)

It's not about pretending, just about considering your audience. (By the way, if you usually wear daisy dukes to your shows, even the Amish probably still won't run you out of town, they just won't be as receptive.)

If it were me, I would probably ask someone who's organizing the auction what is appropriate. (or if you have an Amish friend..) For instance, ask about the pants. Probably better loose than tight...ask about sleeves, and if they'd prefer you wear a hat or ball cap or something. It may well be that they won't care, and of course they'll know you aren't Amish no matter what you wear.

I hope you'll keep us updated. Have fun, and who knows who you may recruit?!

Marghi

Well I DO know that there is a consultant in a town not far from them (don't know who she is) and one not far the other way who would probably love the business. (She used to be a Cheffer but I haven't seen her for a while.)Of course, should I get a booking, I would ask the host what NOT to wear ... explain that the only long skirts I have are broomstick-style and colored, and inquire as to whether 3/4 sleeves and bright colors are OK. Can't see myself in a turtle neck top in the summer, but maybe in the fall ... Also about footwear. I have it in my head that you're supposed to wear "dress" shoes with skirts and not only do these show more of the foot, they are uncomfortable to work in for a long time.And when I talk about "work" I mean my day/night/weekend job is sending me out there next Friday, the day before my vacation. I can't see myself dressing differently than I would any other day at work, because I'd have to spend an 8 hour shift dressed like that.I'm curious ... what would be appropriate items to include, or not, in such a basket? Should I avoid plastic items, for instance?

(Oh, and I won't wear bare arms most of the time either, for different reasons. I am overweight and they look AWFUL on me.)

When I went to the Grand Canyon last May (and it was hot!) there were two Amish couples there. Must have been pretty lax cause they were riding the tour shuttles, but I don't know all the rules. Any way, the women were wearing denim skirts and athletic shoes. I didn't notice their shirts--I noticed the skirts and shoes cause I matched! lol. The skirts were below the knee, but not full length. I'm sure athletic shoes would be just fine, and I bet pants would be okay.

Try not to wear a Kathy Griffin tee-shirt with "Hello, Bitches!" emblazoned on the front.

RMDave said:
Try not to wear a Kathy Griffin tee-shirt with "Hello, Bitches!" emblazoned on the front.

Why? Is that your T-shirt?

;-)

Marghi

What about gauchos? I am not trying to encourage you to be something you're not, but this is something I have delt with a lot. I married into a family where the girls were only allowed to wear long skirts. Basically the rule is (btwn. DH and I), in their home I dress respectful of their beliefs, and in my home I dress as I feel comfortable. I don't dress skimpy in any way. I too am overweight and like to be well covered, but I often wear knee length shorts. MIL doesn't see this as appropriate. I don't worry about it if the kids and I are out and about and just happen to stop by, but if we are invited over for dinner, then I try to wear a long skirt. I didn't even own a long skirt when DH and I started our courtship.
I don't think it is a must, I just think that if you are going into their community it would be respectful to cover yourself. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?!?!?!

Don't own any gauchos either.Let's save the discussion on "what not to wear" until I ACTUALLY GET A BOOKING because I'm going there next week in my work capacity, and will be wearing pants and a respectful blouse with a scoop neck. (Most of the ladies won't see me anyway and if I do donate a basket I might not be around when it goes on the block.)Rather, can we talk about what to put IN the basket? Like, should I avoid desert plates and can openers and twixits? Or are these OK?

Is plastic offensive? I would thing even if they make their own bread, they will put it in bags and could use twixit's or they are great for putting a cloth napkin around a baby's neck for a bib. Maybe not a can opener, but then again I would think some of them might use it. I don't think there would be anything wrong with dessert plates.
I am no expert at that stuff though.

What about the lovely placemats from conference. They might love those.

Ha ha! Didn't go to conference, but I think I have some placemats lurking about ... but a set of 2? Their families are much larger! LOL!But the linens would make lovely basket liners .... dang the bright colors, though!

No the placemats are too colorful. I talked to some of the Amish ladies and asked what they used. They sell a lot of stoneware. They use gas ovens/stoves but no electricity. They love the tools. They do not sell any of the Dots (too colorful) at all. The plain white Simple Additions is probably okay. They do not use "canned products" from the grocery store but can their own. No cookbooks because the recipes are not adaptable to their culture. The ladies at Conference wore muted pastel dresses... I think they were mid-length. Scoop neck but not low on the shoulders at all; think they used to call it a "boat neck top". Take a look at a cover of an Amish novel. Amish CANNOT have their picture taken. Not sure how they managed with the two ladies who made Director and Advanced Director. They do like the Twix-It-Clips. The ones on the Outlet would be more appropriate than the cranberry. Of course no microwave so they don't sell any of those products. I'm not sure about the Bamboo but since they use wooden spoons, I don't see that being a problem. Keep in mind you are stepping into their culture. While you are not Amish, to wear anything exposing any "skin" at the neckline or hemline would be extremely offensive to them. One of the ladies had a cell phone with her but I think it was more or less for "necessity calls". You don't have anyone you could borrow a skirt from? I would love to have talked to them a lot more than I did. I think they would have a lot to share with us. I know they got a HUGE dose of "worldly things" while in Chicago.

Given my size, it's all but impossible to borrow clothing ... and those who are my size don't have long skirts either.I will not be exposing anything at the neck anyway next week ... and would chat at length with them IF I BOOK A SHOW.I actually was just thinking of a twix-it to seal the basket bag ... I do have a medium stone but am not sure if I want to donate something so nice and new. Don't have time to buy one because it's next week. I do have a stoneware crock but only one left, and it's blue. Frankly, I may keep it. It matches my kitchen.Oh, and given their culture I won't include a cookbook but will include a catalog, which has recipes. Nix on the can opener too. OH ... and I actually asked about the photo thing, given my other job. The guy who called me works with them and thinks they are OK with general, group shots AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT LOOKING RIGHT AT THE CAMERA. Side profiles or general group shots are fine. The president of the school is going to ask about it because it needs to be cleared with the elders. We have taken shots of them before, from the back. Remember the shooting at an amish school being splashed all over the headlines?

Well, went to the hospital today to visit my friend's sister ... for some time we've been noticing a large Amish contingent in the waiting room. I finally had a few minutes to talk to one of the ladies and ask her some questions.I was dressed in my work clothes (black pants, pink rayon blouse) and told her that there was an upcoming auction for an Amish school. I asked if I attended pretty much dressed as I am now, maybe a more subdued blouse, would that be offensive? She said no.I also said I was thinking of making a donation and did not want to donate things they wouldn't use. What about can openers, items made of plastic, colored linens? She said all of these things would be fine. They all use can openers and she recently gave one of ours to a family member as a gift.

great! it was all well and good for us to guess, but you went to an "authoritative source"-lol--
Hope your sister's friend was cheered by your visit, and thanks for sharing your findings!

Marghi

Long story about my friend's sister. She barely knows anybody is there b/c she's so heavily sedated and on a vent. She was hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the highway almost 2 weeks ago. Surgery was today ... they hope to have her off the vent soon.Oh and the guy behind me during this conversation lives in that town and drives the Amish .. .Amish family's story is much worse ... nephew injured in car crash, has a brain injury, going to long term care for rehab. Amazing the bonding that happens in an ICU waiting room.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Long story about my friend's sister. She barely knows anybody is there b/c she's so heavily sedated and on a vent. She was hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the highway almost 2 weeks ago. Surgery was today ... they hope to have her off the vent soon.

Oh and the guy behind me during this conversation lives in that town and drives the Amish .. .

Amish family's story is much worse ... nephew injured in car crash, has a brain injury, going to long term care for rehab. Amazing the bonding that happens in an ICU waiting room.

oh no. Thanks for sharing. Yes, it is amazing how one connects in times like that. So sorry to hear both stories, but glad your friend's sister's situation is looking better. Hoping the young man's rehab goes well, they can do much more now than even a few years ago.

yours
Marghi

I am sending prayers in their direction. I had this happen to a dear friend back in the 70s, luckily not since, but we lost him to a drunk driver who crossed the freeway median and hit my friend and his friends head on. 4 19 yos were lost that night.
But I digress and must send out major kudos to you for doing something very difficult. You talked to total strangers and got answers to the questions you had! How very awesome of you! Congrats!!! I think this is a situation that will work well for you because of your courage!
Let us know what you do eventually put in the basket! I am so curious now that you have some insight.

Glad you got to talk to some Amish personally! Sometimes they have different "degrees" of what is acceptable in their individual orders. God wanted you to be able to make the right impression so He put them in your pathway! Isn't He cool that way sometimes?

Related to Support Amish Community with Donation at Upcoming Auction

1. What is the Amish School Donation program?

The Amish School Donation program is a partnership between Pampered Chef and the Amish community to support their schools. A portion of the sales from select Pampered Chef products is donated to Amish schools across the country.

2. How does Pampered Chef choose which products to include in the Amish School Donation program?

Pampered Chef carefully selects products that are popular and frequently used by the Amish community. These products are also high-quality and contribute to the success of the fundraising program.

3. How much of the sales from the selected products go towards the Amish School Donation program?

For every purchase of a selected product, Pampered Chef donates 10% of the sales to the Amish School Donation program. This is a significant contribution that helps support the education and development of Amish children.

4. Can customers choose which Amish school their donation will go to?

No, the donations are distributed among various Amish schools across the country. Pampered Chef and the Amish community work together to determine which schools are in need of support and allocate the donations accordingly.

5. How can I participate in the Amish School Donation program?

To support the Amish School Donation program, simply purchase any of the selected Pampered Chef products. You can also spread the word and encourage others to support this cause. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of Amish children.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AlowayFamily
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
  • Deb Bixler
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Diane
Replies