• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Snappy Comebacks for Ms Negitive Nelly

In summary, the chefers were discussing the usefulness of different kitchen tools. One chef recommended the use of a food chopper, while another recommended the use of a batter bowl. Another recommended the use of a microwave-safe bowl for cooking purposes. The last chef recommended the use of a product that they themselves use, which is the personal computer. The chefers agreed that not every product is for every person, but that everyone has the opportunity to try out the product before making a decision. Finally, the chefers offered advice on how to deal with negative people who are cynical of direct sales. The best way to deal with that is to pass around your paycheck and to show off your free stuff.
cwinter474
Gold Member
I started this thread from another post, I thought us newbies could benefit from the wise wisdom of the other chefers out there.

I made the carmel apple tartlets, got out the apple corer peeler slicer, did a apple or two, someone asked about it, I answered, then she answered "couldn't you just get a knife and peel and cut up the apple?...

Got out the chopper, "couldn't you just dice the apples with a knife?...

Got out the measure all, "couldn't you use any glass?...

the batter bowl, "wouldn't any microwave bowl work?".....

The following replys are from "raebates" THANKS

Yes, you could. I bet you're a whiz with a knife. However, most of us aren't. I almost never made anything I had to peel, core, and slice apples for before I got my APCS.

Well, no, not just any glass would work. If you had one that was exactly the same diameter, that one would work. Plus, you can't use your glass to measure out the caramel and then shoot it out slick as a whistle.

Sure, a microwave-safe bowl would work. But, most don't have the great measurements, don't have a lid, don't have a pour spout, and can't be used in the oven.

I'm always glad to help. I find that most Negative Nellies simply want attention. By agreeing with them in part, you take the sting out of what they've said. Just make sure you add the "but . . . " It gets your point across and yet lets you look like the sweet, intelligent person you are. ;)

The formula is typically:
compliment Ms. Negative on her resourcefulness + "but" + convenience factor for tool in questionIf you add a self-deprecating comment it helps defuse the situation, too. Like, "I'm so lazy I love not having to clean peanut butter from my measuring cups when I use the MAC."

Oh, yeah, and knowing that you'll be able to share the "You won't believe what happened at tonight's show!" moments with us make them easier to take.

I agree with the others - 'but' ... is a great way to be polite but not snappy.

In the past, I have replied:
"well, I have customers who LOVE the (product) and find it helps them save prep time. The food chopper is like using 6 knives at once."

"The Batter Bowls are nice because you can microwave in it - AS WELL AS bake a cake in it, put it in the freezer, AND wash it in the Dishwasher"

"Well, if you are not sure about purchasing the (product), then just I challenge you to try it out. PC is WONDERFUL for returning products that their customers are not happy with - BUT I GUARANTEE you will LOVE IT"

We were talking about this at last night's meeting. My director reminded me of some other wording that I've used before when someone just goes on and on about not seeing the usefulness of a product:Well, then you certainly shouldn't buy one. Maybe you can find something else you'll like.

raebates said:
Well, then you certainly shouldn't buy one. Maybe you can find something else you'll like.

This one I think is my FAVORITE, kinda a nice way to say "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I sort of think of it as my sweet way of saying, "Back off biddy!" Then again, maybe that's just me. LOL!

These are great! I could've used this advice when my sister was being a stinker at my kick-off show! :)

EXACTLY! NOT EVERY product is for EVERYONE!

A little off the topic, but how do you deal with negative people who are cynical of your business? I'm talking about the people who have their minds made up on direct sales before you even say a word. I don't want to sound like a starry-eyed new recruit when dealing with that sort of person! :)

Hathery said:
A little off the topic, but how do you deal with negative people who are cynical of your business? I'm talking about the people who have their minds made up on direct sales before you even say a word. I don't want to sound like a starry-eyed new recruit when dealing with that sort of person! :)

The best way to deal with that is to pass around your paycheck! Also show off your FREE stuff, if they can touch and see the tangible stuff they will BELIEVE!
I know so many people have to see to believe and there are plenty of direct sales businesses out there that frankly don't compare to PC. Maybe they have been exposed to those or have started selling for a company and failed. When that happens, people become skeptical of ALL companies.
Also I think Negative Nellies are just trying to complain because they can't afford the products in some cases and have to act as if they don't like, need or want the items so it doesn't seem weird that they ordered a citrus peeler or a paring knife.
I don't let them discourage me, I use it as a spring board to brag even more about our products and the wonderful compliments I have heard time and time again from our customers. I try to find those in the crowd who love PC as well and they usually take over the debate for me and end up winning. Because you can't beat someone's testimony of actually using our products day to day in their kitchen!
Debbie :chef:

That's great advice!!! Thank you :)

chefann said:
The formula is typically:
compliment Ms. Negative on her resourcefulness + "but" + convenience factor for tool in question

Hi, everyone, I actually learned of a great way to "disagree agreeably" (I'll credit the Dale Carnegie course on this one). The way to do that is actually to NOT use the word "but". People get defensive when they hear words like that and hear you disagreeing. If you acknowledge what they're saying as others have mentioned here, and continue without disagreeing (don't say things like "but", "however", etc.), then just go on to say what you believe / give facts that support what you like.

Some of the examples here were great - just leaving out the "but" and it can sound more agreeable.

Of course that's easier said than done and takes practice!

It would be kind of funny to have a 'your-way vs my-way' challenge. Who could peel/core/slice an apple the quickest? AND get such neat perfect slices?? *hehe*. Good replies..I'll have to remember those if I have one of those helpful customers at a show.

I used several of these this week so I thought I would do a newbie bump

Thanks for the bump!

I like the your way vs. my way challenge......that one made me laugh!!! :D

I love Rae's description of "biddy"!! Made me laugh out loud!

I love when the guests gang up on some of these guests and say...well I have it and I wouldn't want to do without it!

And the last of my random, scattered thoughts...does anyone remember MAD magazines "Snappy answerst to stupid questions"? Wouldn't you love to do something like this? I am REALLY dating myself!

You shouldn't date yourself. It makes for a really messy breakup.I remember those. They were hysterical--things you would love to say but never could.

Related to Snappy Comebacks for Ms Negitive Nelly

What is a "Snappy Comeback"?

A "Snappy Comeback" is a quick and clever response to a negative or critical comment. It can help diffuse a tense situation and turn the conversation into a more positive direction.

Why should I use "Snappy Comebacks"?

Using a "Snappy Comeback" can help you maintain your composure and confidence when faced with a negative person. It can also show that you are not affected by their negativity and can even make them think twice about their behavior.

How do I come up with a good "Snappy Comeback"?

The key to a good "Snappy Comeback" is to keep it short, simple, and witty. It should also be tailored to the situation and the person you are responding to. You can also draw inspiration from funny quotes, movies, or books.

Are "Snappy Comebacks" appropriate for all situations?

No, "Snappy Comebacks" should be used with caution and only in appropriate situations. Make sure to read the room and consider the tone and context before using one. It's always better to choose your battles and avoid escalating a situation.

Can using a "Snappy Comeback" backfire?

There is always a risk that a "Snappy Comeback" may not have the intended effect and could potentially make the situation worse. It's important to use it carefully and only when necessary. If you feel uncomfortable or unsure, it might be best to avoid using one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Southern Chef
  • Jennie50
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • DebPC
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies