• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Revive Your Discolored Cutting Board with These Tips - No More Orange Stains!

No, I don't think bleach would work. It's not as though you're using it in liquid form- you're still inhaling the fumes. If you want to try something else, try peroxide.
peichef
Help!! I have a show in a couple of hours & my cutting board w measuring cups is ORANGE. It came out of the dishwasher that way -- my other one (lg grooved) is fine.
I want to take my cutting brd w meas. cups tonight??

Baking powder hasn't worked

WHAT WILL MAKE MY CUTTING BOARD WHITE(R) AGAIN????

Do you have a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? Those work well sometimes.If not, try bleach.

what about a daluted bleach mixture?

Try a weak bleach solution (a little bleach in water) or cleanser with bleach (like Soft Scrub). If you don't have bleach, use peroxide.

Last edited:
Gee-- lookit all of us typing at once. :D

And, we all gave just about the same answer. Great minds . . .

2 problems -- i don't keep bleach in the house & I don't go near Mr Clean Magic erasers because they are carcinogenic:(Would lemon juice work?? Vinegar?? (my 2 favourite cleaning products)

The thing about Mr Clean being carcinogenic is an urban legend, although I wouldn't want to use one on a food prep surface anyway.

Lemon juice or vinegar might work. It's worth a shot. :)

Last edited:
Mr Clean Magic Erasers contain formaldehyde. There was a huge documentary on our Nat;'l broadcasting network (CBC) almost 2 yrs ago about hidden carcinogens & toxins in foods & household producs -- a show similar to 60 minutes. Very credible. All that is beside the point, though .... my cutting board looks icky:(

Do you have an automatic dishwasher? If so, do you use liquid dishwasher detergent? Soaking for a while in a strong solution of liquid dishwasher detergent and water might work.

interesting-- I assume the tv show they mention is the one I saw. If it is so safe, though, why don't they list the "ingredients" on the packaging???

I do have a dishwasher -- it was orange when it emerged from it!?!? I have tried soaking it, scrubbing with baking powder paste. It is horrible looking. I guess I'll have to take my other cutting brd tonight :(

Generally, my cutting boards (and other things) only turn orange when I've washed them with something covered in tomato paste. Soaking it in a strong solution of dishwasher liquid and water is basically like bleaching it.

Based on what you've posted that you have and feel comfortrable using, try soaking it in some vinegar or lemon juice. What's it gonna hurt? It just might work, and then you can take your preferred board.

But I still wanna know what in the dishwasher made it turn orange. :yuck:

For those interested, here's the msds sheet for magic erasers: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16003386I don't use them cuz I find baking soda works wonders and is a lot cheaper and more practical (I can use to clean, bake and a whole lot more - I actually have book for ideas I never even considered. LOL)

I agree with Ann, I haven't had my turn orange but i use mr clean all through my house and my kids and i haven't gotten sick, I probably go through bleach like crazy i should own stock in it lol I have asmtha so i am constantly cleaning i never want the mold to dare have the chance to build up 409 works good it cleans up koolaide messy my kids make off our counter top try that one it might work i let it soak for a few mins then scrub it and make sure you just wash it really well with dish soap

I bleach my cutting boards every few weeks...

If you use orange rinse agent that could turn your white stuff an orange tint. My PC scraper handle from 2005 with the orange scraper part turned a tint of orange in my dishwasher. At the time I was using Jet Dry rinse agent and it was orange. That's the only thing I can think of that would have turned it orange.

Ooh- if you have asthma you should use peroxide instead of bleach. Peroxide isn't as dangerous as bleach.

Think about it for a second: bleach is chlorine. Chlorine gas was used in WWI as a weapon. It's poisonous. Even though you're using it in liquid form, you're still inhaling the fumes. Yuck. Peroxide also kills germs, but isn't as harmful to people.

Thanks ann, i haven't heard of using that before people always jokes about how my house is clean enough to eat off the floor lol my husband when we 1st got married thought my cleaning was out of controll and when we moved from our previous house to this one and it had a mold problem we didn't know about and i got horrid sick so now he is just as bad with cleaning now too, I think my kids are getting those habits too

I have found that carrots will color my cutting boards orange, if they are on it long enough.

As for cleaning them, my favorite product is Clorox Clean-up! It's basically a diluted bleach/water solution, but I love it! It is in a spray bottle, so I don't get bleach on my clothes...used to somehow to "splatter" it, no matter how careful I was!!

That being said, fresh lemon juice should also work! (may just take a little bit longer, that's all!)

Best wishes!
Paula

1. Why is my cutting board turning orange?

Orange stains on cutting boards are often caused by contact with acidic foods, such as tomatoes or citrus fruits, or from prolonged exposure to high heat.

2. Can I still use my cutting board if it has orange stains?

Yes, as long as the stains are not too deep or extensive, the cutting board is still safe to use. However, it is recommended to remove the stains for hygienic reasons and to prevent them from getting worse.

3. How do I remove the orange stains from my cutting board?

One way to remove orange stains is by using a mixture of equal parts baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the stained areas, let it sit for a few minutes, and then scrub with a cloth or sponge. Rinse with water and dry thoroughly.

4. Can I use bleach to remove orange stains from my cutting board?

No, bleach is not recommended for removing stains on cutting boards as it can damage the wood and leave a harsh chemical residue that can be harmful if ingested.

5. How can I prevent my cutting board from getting orange stains in the future?

To prevent orange stains, avoid using your cutting board for acidic foods and clean it immediately after each use. You can also lightly sand the surface of your cutting board every few months to keep it smooth and free from deep grooves that can trap stains.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• donnathepamperedchef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
donnathepamperedchef
  • hmolah
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Becca115
Replies