• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant "I'm Too Good to Be Doing Pampered Chef"

build up a great business and they see that this is more than just a nice little hobby for you, they may come around. But for now, it might be best to just keep Pampered Chef out of your conversations with them for now.
donnathepamperedchef
My DD and DS say “I’m too good to being doing Pamper Chef”. They would like to see me back in the big corner office, 10hrs a day, stressed, undervalued and unhappy! Geez, what’s with that? We are talking young adults here with families of their own, but obviously lacking brain power. My kids, I get to say that :) We all make decisions in our lives and changes, and this is my change and I am loving it. Just over 90 days with PC, over $5K is sales, I think I am doing pretty good. Why would I be an embarrassment? I have asked them to think about friends etc that might be interested in hosting a party with me and you would think I was asking for their first born, which some days they might just be willing to give to me. I am tired of explaining to them, this is what I am going to do, I am having fun, loving it and getting paid for the first time in my life to have fun. What’s the problem? My DD was at a BBQ on the weekend and somehow PC was mentioned, most likely not by her – anyway someone said how they loved PC and wouldn’t mind some product or a show. So today I follow up with my DD for contact info and she won’t give. Doesn’t want me bugging people like I am desperate; how is it being desperate offering great products, free products and fun. What am I missing? It’s at a point now that I can’t even mention PC in a conversation. Grow Up

Don't let them get you down!! But probably for the sake of your relationship, it might be best to leave PC out of your conversations with them for now...
In any case, it looks like you're doing great even without their support, so I would just keep doing what you're doing - eventually once you've built up a great business and they see that this is more than just a nice little hobby for you, they may come around!
But when they come to your house for supper, they'll still see how great the products are even without you saying anything!

I know what you mean... when ppl ask what I'm doing and I say I sell Pampered chef... its "oh, you are still doing that".. .Why yes I am and proud of it! My mom gets really irritated when ppl act like I dont work :) Just give it time, Donna... when PC sends you on your first trip you make sure to take anyone BUT the doubters! Just send them a great pic :) Or when you get a really great comm. check or that box of free products or, or, or... then ask them when the last time their company sent them on a paid FOR vacation... not paid vacation, but paid FOR.
sorry to go on my own tangent there, but I just had this conversation with my DH after running into a family member at the store. So, I'm still a little irritated too :) Keep up your great work, Donna! You will get out of this biz what YOU want to :)

I think sometimes people will put you down when in actuality they are envious of you. You are doing something they wish they could do! In this case, working from home, doing a job you obviously LOVE and still getting paid for it. Who doesn't want that? I see this time and again in other areas- like weight loss....when someone is trying to lose weight and are successful at it, or any other area of life, their friends and family feel threatened or are jealous- so they sabotage it in some ways. Maybe not on purpose. With the weightloss example- they suggest restaurants that are known for having terribly bad or high-calorie foods, or they bring the worst possible dessert to your house or whatever and then say things like "Oh- a small piece won't hurt!"So to me, when folks act that way (negative)- it's partly because they don't understand and nothing you say will change it, and because they maybe envious of what you are able to do, even if they don't realize it. It's what you DO with your business and the results you get (like Charity said!) that will show them otherwise. I'm sure it is very sad to know that right now, your family doesn't support you. But hang in there.

(((Hugs)))

Unfortunately, family can be the toughest sometimes. Like Charity said, once you grow your business even further they may realize there's more to you than just "the party lady." Then again, they may never see it that way, no matter what you do.

If you've already said "This is what I'm doing, and I'm happy doing it" then the only other thing you can say is "If you don't like it, too bad, don't bring it up." I'm sure you've taught them "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" ;) and it might be time to remind them of that. Then don't discuss your business with them.

As for the contact at the BBQ, you may lose that one. You'll have to practice asking for contact information at the time of your contact to follow up later, that way you don't have to involve the kids or anyone else.

thanks everyone - I am going to show them just what their mother is made of!

GO for it Donna!!! my kids were like that when I started.. My son now gets excited when a PC box shows up, asking me what new did I get..

NooraK said:
(((Hugs)))

As for the contact at the BBQ, you may lose that one. You'll have to practice asking for contact information at the time of your contact to follow up later, that way you don't have to involve the kids or anyone else.

From the way I read the original post her daughter was at BBQ not her and she heard from her daughter that someone was interested but then wouldn't tell her who it was. And to me that is crazy. Referrals are what drive a lot of our businesses. So I can't imagine that at all. I don't have a lot of my own family that personally books or refers because most live out of state. My DH's husband's family hasn't been much either though. So I get the whole lace of family support. His one cousin's wife booked before and she's due for one now that I have to call! ;) But his other cousin's wife used to be a consultant and also worked with my director so she goes through her and that's fine. there is plenty of business for all of us to go around.

kcmckay said:
From the way I read the original post her daughter was at BBQ not her and she heard from her daughter that someone was interested but then wouldn't tell her who it was. And to me that is crazy. Referrals are what drive a lot of our businesses.

I misread it a bit. I thought both of them were at the BBQ and the person saying this knew the daughter.

Either way, I agree it's silly of your daughter to first tell you that someone asked about the product and said they'd want to do a show, but then turn right around and say she won't put you in contact with that person. I can understand not wanting to give you their information, some people just don't do that. But what's the big deal in passing along a business card, or asking that person if it's OK to share their phone number?

I agree Katie & Noora, why say something to me if you don't want me talking to them, next time just keep it to yourself. I am lucky that I have so much support from my DH and two other DDs, so I am going to go with that and just keep loving what I am doing.:)

My house-mate was a big PC hater when I started. When my kit arrived, I got an e-mail stating, "Your over-priced box of Pampered Chef arrived."Said house-mate has evolved into less of a hater and more of a fan. LOVES the spices, the food chopper, and the knives. Whines when they are missing from the house when I'm at a show. Should house-mate ever move, has threatened to become a "kit-napper" and sign up for the opportunity just to take favorite products!I personally cannot do this full-time ... and while you've done AMAZING, if I were to sell that amount, there's no way I could live on that commission. But still ... you're already 1/3 of a way to the big $15K milestone! Congrats!

Congratulations on a great start! Like others have said, sometimes family can be the hardest to sell on the value of a PC business. Give it some time. Eventually they may see how fulfilling and profitable your business is. As for "too good for PC," you might point out that there are people with all kinds of degrees who choose to do PC. Some of them do it as a diversion from their day jobs. Many of them do it, like you seem to, because it's a chance to work at what they love.

You just have to kick some Pampered Chef Butt!! They will come around eventually! I think that they might be worried more about how it makes "them" look. "Oh, ya, my Mom sells Pampered Chef" might not sound as impressive as "My mom is a corporate buyer for Cha-Ching Enterprises". You know what I am saying! People think that your title is who you are and determines your worth as a human being. It could be the crappiest job but it sounds cool! My son was like that when my daughter first signed up. He stays with her while he goes to school in the fall. Anyway, he had no choice but to be the guinea pig for her to practice on. Now he cooks and loves the stuff. It will get better! I agree with Charity, send them a post card from the trip that you just earned! The best revenge is to be extremely happy at what you are doing! I am!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Good point, freebyrdz. If that's their beef just have them tell people that their mom is a consultant or is a business owner.

I have a degree and left a job making 6 figures to be a SAHM. My husband was the hater at the beginning of my business.. after he took a 2000 a month paycut and I covered it PLUS another 1500 a month on top of that.. PLUS we are leaving for Disney tomorrow... his attitude has come full circle. Success is the best revenge!!

I predict 2 months until one of them asks you "how is that kitchen thing going?"

scottcooks said:
I predict 2 months until one of them asks you "how is that kitchen thing going?"

Seriously! I will never forget when I started selling PC five years ago. I was so excited when I announced it at the annual family reunion. My husband's aunt told me, "That's nice. Have fun while it lasts. You know, until the well dries up because that isn't a long term business and your friends and family will get tired of you." (WOW! How supportive!) And, every year we go up, she asks about my business. Last year, Dave interrupted and blurted out, "She got a promotion! She is in charge of people!" LOL I always tell her that I can't keep up with the shows. And, I have limited my show schedule, so it is tough to "get everyone in". I mean, I'm not doing $5K a month, but for now, this is what I need for now.

So, I guess this is just my long-winded way of saying to keep doing what you're doing! You are doing an amazing job!

Thank you everyone! I am not going to let them get me down and I will be sending them postcards from my trips. I was at a show last night and my DD called and talked with my DH, boy did she get an earful from him. He said she kept going on and on that selling PC wasn’t making the best use of my experience and brainpower, he told her if she didn’t want to support me on it to SHUT UP, that I am doing something I love and she should realize that and be supportive not demeaning. Loved it when I got home and he told me about the call, I told him I :love: him and that I had a great show, 4 bookings, sales over $750 (host wants the C&ST), everybody there was new to me, had a great time all around. He helped me get everything loaded up in the dishwasher and washed everything else for me. Another show tonight, so there my DD, take that! I am a :chef::D

Go Hubby!! YEAH! That's encouraging. And good for him!! *and way to go at the show btw!*

Thanks for sharing your DH's take! He sounds like a keeper and great helper!

YAY, Donna!!! That is AWESOME!! YOU are awesome!! I am so happy for you!

It's SO nice to have a supportive husband... mine will carry my bags in for me after a show and help me do my dishes. It's usually late by the time I get home, so I really appreciate that 'post-show support', and having someone listen to either my good or not-so-great reports of how it went. So since he's on board, then you've got it made!

freebyrdz said:
YAY, Donna!!! That is AWESOME!! YOU are awesome!! I am so happy for you!

Thanks Freebyrdz, you're pretty awesome too and a BIG THANK YOU to everyone. Another show tonight, another two bookings and another great time out. Grandsons are coming for a sleepover tomorrow which I am so looking forward too, a little downtime - haha who am I kidding, 6 and 4 last thing I will get is downtime:). We are going to make the Molten Lava Cake/Keiths Chocolate Fudge Cake, whatever it's called, we are making it tomorrow. They love cooking with Nana, that's me, and I love them whether we are cooking or not.

cheflorraine said:
It's SO nice to have a supportive husband... mine will carry my bags in for me after a show and help me do my dishes. It's usually late by the time I get home, so I really appreciate that 'post-show support', and having someone listen to either my good or not-so-great reports of how it went. So since he's on board, then you've got it made!

Lorraine he is very supportive; sounds like we may be married to the same man :) and a day doesn't go by where I don't thank him for being just who he is.

Yay for supportive husbands!

I too got the "You've got to be kidding!" thing when I announced I was going into PC. My other half thought it too would be a passing fancy. Nothing now that it has been 10 years! He figured it out when he got sick and I was able to support us without his full pay check for almost 4 months. Of course, it was not enough to keep us from problems but hey, I did good for 4 months! Then my mom, came over Christmas eve after I just got my kit and told me point blank, "I won;t do any parties for you as this stuff is overpriced!". She looked at the ice cream dipper, decided it was way to expensive at $12.50. So I gave it to her after I asked her how many she had. She said one. I asked her how much it cost. She said only $3.95. Then she said BUT I have to replace them about 3 times a year since they keep turning gray. After 6 months of using ours and not having it turn gray, she was sold and has been a PC groupie ever since!
Sometimes you just have to show them the proof rather than trying to fight them verbally and it sounds like you have a great start!

pampered1224 said:
I too got the "You've got to be kidding!" thing when I announced I was going into PC!. ......

Sometimes you just have to show them the proof rather than trying to fight them verbally and it sounds like you have a great start!

This happened to me years ago when I went into massage therapy. My brother told me I was "wasting my mind." Big brother, big influence on all of us.

Years later (after supporting myself doing therapeutic massage for many years, and even teaching it) he told me he'd been wrong, and apologized. But I didn't mention it to him after my first reply when I discussed all the things I was going to have to learn when I first went into it. I did give him some massages,but I still don't think he really "gets it." His wife rocks, though! Now I don't do massage anymore, but just wait til I tell him I am doing PC....yikes. I'm not going to tell him until I've been doing it a while. (he lives in VA, me in AZ)....He is a snob and a food snob especially.
all that said, I do love him.
Marghi

Marghi, send the family a gift of some PC items you love! That will break the ice. Don't tell him why, just say you found these awesome products you thought they would love! You know, an ice breaker to that conversation!

John, you are so sharp! that is a great idea!
Marghi

Donna, I love your positive attitude!! If you like to read or want some great encouragement, read Tom Barrett's books: Dare to Dream and Work to Win, and Success Happens! Tom Barrett is incredibly intelligent and works with members of Congress and corporate leaders, and is a HUGE fan of network marketing, like The Pampered Chef. Just a lil' something for your back pocket. :)

BlueMoon said:
This happened to me years ago when I went into massage therapy. My brother told me I was "wasting my mind." Big brother, big influence on all of us.

Years later (after supporting myself doing therapeutic massage for many years, and even teaching it) he told me he'd been wrong, and apologized. But I didn't mention it to him after my first reply when I discussed all the things I was going to have to learn when I first went into it. I did give him some massages,but I still don't think he really "gets it." His wife rocks, though! Now I don't do massage anymore, but just wait til I tell him I am doing PC....yikes. I'm not going to tell him until I've been doing it a while. (he lives in VA, me in AZ)....He is a snob and a food snob especially.
all that said, I do love him.
Marghi

Marghi, I just saw this, so I'm curious if you told him when you came out in August? You weren't 'official' then, of course. Are you still waiting to let him know?

If so, I guess it's a good thing Keith and I didn't get to meet up with you! We would have been talking PC the whole time, which would have caused your brother a lot* of confusion.

*Rae, I still don't like separating them!!!

pampchefsarah said:
Marghi, I just saw this, so I'm curious if you told him when you came out in August? You weren't 'official' then, of course. Are you still waiting to let him know?

If so, I guess it's a good thing Keith and I didn't get to meet up with you! We would have been talking PC the whole time, which would have caused your brother a lot* of confusion.

*Rae, I still don't like separating them!!!

Lol, it's a funny story, he's not as snooty as I thought! We were driving around and he said, I know you always have something going on, what are you going to do when you are done with school--I said, well, I think I'm going to do some cooking class type stuff with a kitchen goods business, where I go to people's homes. He said, oh, like the Pampered Chef?
I said, yes (totally caught me off guard) and he asked me what I thought about the quality, and I told him what I've told other chefs, that I think it's great quality for the price, but beyond that it introduces people to tools they might never have heard of unless the frequent specialty kitchen stores. And I can teach them how to use the tools. He said, great. We have some pampered chef stuff we really like.

I was shocked and delighted! Then, my kid sister, who totally shuts down any kind of DS conversation, saw on FB that I was starting my business, and asked how she could order! wow. My family is exceeding expectations! By miles.

Thanks for asking, and I can't wait to meet you and Keith next year!

1. Why do my kids think I'm "too good" for Pampered Chef?

It's possible that your children have a certain perception of what is considered a successful career, and they may see Pampered Chef as less prestigious than a traditional corporate job. They may also have a limited understanding of the benefits and opportunities that come with being a consultant for a reputable company like Pampered Chef.

2. How can I address my kids' negative attitude towards my decision to work for Pampered Chef?

It's important to communicate with your kids and explain to them why you chose to become a consultant for Pampered Chef. Share your success and satisfaction with your job, and educate them on the benefits of this type of work, such as flexible hours and the ability to make money while having fun. Encourage them to be open-minded and supportive of your decision.

3. Why do my kids seem embarrassed by my Pampered Chef job?

Embarrassment is often rooted in fear of judgment or not fitting societal norms. Your children may simply be worried about how others perceive your job, and they may not fully understand the concept of direct sales. It's important to have open and honest conversations with them to dispel any misconceptions and show them that there is nothing to be embarrassed about in being a successful Pampered Chef consultant.

4. How can I get my kids to help me with my Pampered Chef business?

If your children are not interested in becoming involved in your business, it's important to respect their decision. However, you can still involve them in other ways, such as asking for their help with setting up for parties or sharing your products with their friends and colleagues. If they see the value and success of your business, they may become more supportive and willing to help in the future.

5. What should I do if my kids don't want me to mention Pampered Chef in conversation?

It's important to respect your children's wishes, but also to stand up for yourself and your business. You can politely explain to them that your job is a source of pride and joy for you, and you should be able to talk about it freely. If they continue to object, try to find a compromise, such as only mentioning your business in certain contexts or with certain people. Ultimately, it's important to communicate and find a solution that works for both you and your children.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • Cook1
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Christine Hughes
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies