• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Questions for Past Nat'l Conference Attendees

In summary, the speaker recommended that people focus on different workshops this time around, as they felt that some of the previous workshops were not relevant to their current goals. They also recommended bringing clothes that are comfortable and appropriate for the conference, as well as packing extra room in their suitcase for shopping in Chicago.
its_me_susan
Please tell those of us who have never been to a National Conference, some things you wanted to make sure you did differently the next conference you attended (ie. are you focusing on different kinds of workshops this time around b/c you could buy the cds, or due to what others said were the best workshops...)?

Do you have any workshop registration tips (ie. Don't miss out on the Live Show ~ or be sure to see the recruiting stars)?

What do people wear (what should we pack that you wished you had packed last time?

Anything else?

Here's MY delemma.... I *NEED* to switch something to put the wedding registries workshop in....... Can anyone offer their input please? Here's what I signed up for last night...

07/10/06
1:15 PM -2:30 PM- Super Start Your New Consultants
3:00 PM -4:15 PM- 90 Days to the Business You Want (Belinda Ellsworth)

07/11/06
2:15 PM - 3:30 PM- Bookings: Fill Your Calendar A
4:00 PM - 5:15 PM- Inside Scoop: New Products & Recipes A

07/12/06
9:00 AM - 10:15 AM- Recruiting With the Stars

(thanks!!!)

Last edited:
My advice...Hi Susan!

I actually signed up for most of the workshops you did, just different times. The one I did not sign up for was Inside Scoop because I do not really think it will benefit my business. I always feel comfortable talking about the new products and the new recipes. If you have any anxiety or nervousness on how to present new products or recipes, that class would probably be good for you.

Focusing on what you want for your business is what should drive your decisions. Let me guess on your goals based on your classes. You definitely want to become a Director, but you first want to make sure you have the bookings to get in front of as many people as possible. You also want to make sure you have the skills to really work with your new consultants. You want for them to be successful. If I am correct, your goals are similar to mine!

I know all of this may seem obvious to some people, but just typing it out reinforces it for me.

I thought about the Wedding Registry class, but decided I need the Franklin Covey workshop instead. I attended one of them last conference and I am taking the enhancement workshop this time. Have you ever been to a Franklin Covey workshop? I actually took one for my previous fulltime job years ago and it was so great. I also liked the one at conference last year. Many companies pay big money to get their employees trained by Franklin Covey. My husband's company recently paid for him and his team to have the training. Franklin Covey is just that good.

As far as clothes go, I wore (as many did) khaki pants or capri's each day. I also recommend bringing a light sweater or jacket. The conference rooms can get a little chilly. For the Executive Dinner, you will want to "dress it up" a little. Dressy pants, a skirt or dress would be appropriate for the night. Those who get to walk the stage wear definitely dress up even more. In the past couple of years I have seen some very beautiful outfits and some outfits that were meant to be beautiful, but looked a little more like a prom dress.

I also recommend you leave a little extra room in your suitcase. You will need it for packing away Pampered Chef items and for anything you buy in Chicago! The shopping is great!

Let' see, did I miss answering any of your questions?

Lisa

I agree with Lisa. Drop the Inside Scoop and add in the Wedding Registry.

There will be a whole big room set up with ALL the new stuff that we get to walk through and play with the products. HO staff are there to answer questions and give us tips. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, if someone in your cluster is going to Inside Scoop, you can get the info from them!

I didn't sign up for the inside scoop or cooking show live...I did that last year and found it boring plus, I figure I will get all of that info here since we are always talking about products and recipes. I think you picked well and I agree with Lisa...pick workshops that will help you with your business and help you with what you want to accomplish.

My approach to the dress is business casual, I felt that jeans and a t-shirt are a little too casual. I wear khaki's or slacks with a nice shirt. Wear comfy shoes as there is a lot of walking.

Make sure to bring lots of business cards, you will hand them out to everyone. A lot of people will ask you what your best tip is, so be prepared for that one. Leave plenty of room in the suitcase to bring stuff home and bring an open mind because you will learn sooooo much.

Have fun!!

its_me_susan said:
(ie. are you focusing on different kinds of workshops this time around b/c you could buy the cds, or due to what others said were the best workshops...)?

Do you have any workshop registration tips (ie. Don't miss out on the Live Show ~ or be sure to see the recruiting stars)?

What do people wear (what should we pack that you wished you had packed last time?

Anything else?

Here's MY delemma.... I *NEED* to switch something to put the wedding registries workshop in

Hi, Susan!

What would I do differently from last year? I would have a more well rounded schedule. I didn't take any recruiting classes last year, and afterwards I was so bummed! Talking to my AD as I made my decisions this year really helped!

I really struggled with the Wedding Registry class also. I ended up not taking it. My AD asked "Is the Wedding Registry something you can learn about on your own, by listening to CDs, talking to other consultants, that website you use?" The answer was obviously yes, so I decided to pass on that one. Also, my AD tries to make sure that our cluster is spread out on the classes, so that way someone from within our cluster should be taking the Wedding Registry class, and we can learn from her!

Dress is listed as business type. No jeans, something you'd be comfortable wearing to an office. There will be people dressed in shorts, jeans, etc., but the guidelines ask us not to do that. I really rebelled against that last year (like I usually do when I don't like what someone is saying), but I was really glad I packed appropriately. It definitely helped with my own attitude to be dressed professionally. I still had a blast, but I remembered I was there to LEARN and NETWORK and HAVE FUN, in that order! I did wear dressy capris (not jeans), long skirts, slacks.

Definitely bring a lightweight sweater, especially if you are prone to be cold. Comfortable shoes are a must...you do a LOT of walking!

I'm bringing a backpack this year to carry my stuff in...sweater, bottled water, snacks, etc. I regretted not having one last year.

I did really enjoy the live show last year, but decided not to do it this year. I make it a point to go someone else's show here locally once every other month or so, and feel like that is giving me what I need in that direction.

I definitely recommend the CD...just be sure you actually LISTEN to it!

Keep ALL your receipts for tax time, from all vendors, hotels, taxis, foods, etc. I managed to loose some of mine, and am now scrambling (had to file for an extension so I could pull my credit card statements!)

Bring a swimming suit for evening fun! Come early on Wednesday and leave late on Sunday (or whatever your days before/after conference are) for sightseeing opportunities. Last year, we took a boat tour before we left on Sunday, and it was a blast. Something I will always remember.

Sorry so long...hope this information helps!

Suitcase issueWhat I did last year was:

Put my second largest suitcase inside my largest suitcase, and packed in the second largest. Then, when it was time to come back, I had a second suitcase to use for everything I got...plus, some of my cluster packed in my box also!

What a good idea...packing a suitcase in another. One thing my group always does is only take carry-on luggage so we don't have to wait for our luggage....our planes always seem to run late. Last year I traveled alone and did check my luggage in...and it was lost...but that is a chance you take.

As far as conference goes...TAKE A SWEATER OR LIGHT JACKET!!! I forgot mine last year and it was so cold in some of the rooms I had to get up and leave...I am very cold natured. I couldn't believe I forgot my sweater. I guess it was just being nervous traveling alone. Is there a website workshop? If I was going this year that would be something I would want. Don't forget to take your camera and film. And, wear comfortable shoes. You will be walking a lot. Capri pants or slacks are fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Talk to other consultants. And, eat at Bubba Gump's on the pier.

I appreciate you ladies sooooo much! Thank you for your input!!! Ok, here's a thought - - there are several cds on bookings (aren't there?) ~ some good ones too, right?

Maybe I should take that workshop off, add the bridal registry one (I have a David's bridal contract so should really learn how to utilize that one)?

Has anyone heard of a good time management cd?

I did learn some great things that just stayed in my memory, at the leadership conference, on the new products just because I watched it live.... Of course I'm sure we will all be talking about those in the airport and at lunch.... maybe double recruiting workshops (or would that be overkill - do you think it's alot of repeat)???

You are right - I should start to go to other consuultant's shows to learn -- free training there, always available.

Has anyone done a "double digit recruiting" type workshop before?

Last edited:
its_me_susan said:
Maybe I should take that workshop off, add the bridal registry one (I have a David's bridal contract so should really learn how to utilize that one)?
I think since you do the David's Bridal thing, the wedding registry workshop would be great. I took that one too because I just signed a contract to do some advertising in a bridal guide (NOT cheap) and I figured I'd better make that money worthwhile. Although the training CDs on the wedding stuff will be good to listen to, at the workshops you'll likely have the chance to ask questions at the end of the workshop and you can get feedback based on your specific situation (doing the David's Bridal stuff). Plus I assume the speakers will be consultants and directors who have had direct success with registries and I don't know if the CDs have that specific information yet.

Just my two cents.:)

I think the time management worshop will be good. Franklin Covey is the time management expert! And the FC guy who led my workshop last year was the husband of a PC consultant! He was so funny. He had fashioned the clock/timer into a wrist watch. It was hilarious!!!

I like taking the New Products classes because we get tips and ideas straight from the Home Office. Even though we will all share when we get back I like getting the knowledge firsthand. It just helps me to remember.

The Kitchen Show live I took 2 years in a row and was disappointed. I agree with earlier posts about this one, go to someone elses show in your cluster.

Definitely bring a second bag. We can purchase mini-catalogs, invitations, and recipe cards at conference and bring them home (will save on shipping cost). Also there are some conference freebies and you may want to purchase from some of the vendors.

Most of all...Relax!! We will be sharing after conference. Take the classes that you want your business to reflect knowledge in and ask us all about the rest. Have fun!! Enjoy the ride.

Sounds goofy, but I always bring soda and snacks too. I'm a soda freak and they don't serve it there, you have to buy from a vending machine, and trying to find change is impossible! Plus, I'm always hungry:) Oh, and camera, never know when Doris will be in the bathroom stall next to you! (Happened my first conference!) Not that I would take a picture in the stall! Plus, taking pics to collage with and share with the rest of your cluster is fun!
Have fun too!! I can't wait! I need the break from the kids:)

Ange--they have snacks available outside of the meeting rooms and water in the room for you. They have candy bars and granola bars available and in some instances they have apples, oranges, and bananas.

My question is this, How many meals are included and how many will I be buying?

My director told us that we can get by with $200 in spending to help cover some meals and few items. She however likes to spend, spends like $600 on souviniers, and invites, mini catalogs, vendors, ect. So I think it is what you can, and want to spend.:D

Bring gum, candy, water and a sweater because it gets a little chilly with the AC on. Don't forget a CAMERA especially if you do the HO tour you get to sit at Doris desk:)

This year I am not going too much going on :(

I think I bought 3 meals while I was there. We went out the first night before conf started, and I think there was a lunch and another dinner I paid for...but it went so fast that I don't remember that stuff really well anymore.

What to bring... Conference package (which includes your meal tickets, workshop tickets and your name badge)
 Umbrella (if you bring it, it won't rain!)
 Comfortable Business casual clothes for day time/ 1 dress outfit for Banquet night.
 Make-up, blow dryer, curling iron, brush, comb
 shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, deodorant
 Safety pins, band-aids, emery board, q-tips and small scissors (hey, you never know!) - maybe even a small sewing kit with needle and thread
 Visine (for those red eyes in the morning!)
 Notebook pens, and a yellow highlighter marker
 Camera with extra batteries and film
 Extra bag (for all the goodies you'll be bringing home from Conference) or leave some room in your suitcase when you pack!
 Comfortable pair of walking shoes
 Sweater/light jacket (for cold conference rooms and late night walks)
 Business cards (lots of them!) and put your e-mail address on them too. SASE's to give to speakers in case you want handouts or extra information (write what you want in the upper fold, so they remember what you requested). You may want to put a business tip on the back. People will be asking you for you best tip! Be prepared!
 Cell phone/calling cards in case of emergency, etc.
 Gum, candy, breath mints
 Insulated water bottle
 Chips, fruit, snacks, small cooler for your room
 Advil, Tylenol, Tums, Pepto Bismol or Imodium
 A copy of your latest newsletter to share, trade,
 Catalogs and recruiting/ show info (for people you may meet and talk with during your travels)
 Bring pins you've earned and wear them with pride
 Tissues - for those tear-jerker sessions
 Sunglasses/hat
 Bathing suit (if you want to go swimming in the hotel)
 Money/travelers checks/credit card/debit card
 Comfortable shoulder bag or briefcase to carry with you at all times with most of this stuff in it!
 Small waist/fanny pack to hold money, camera, etc. if you go into the city
 And a smile!!!!!!

We only get meals on Day 2 and breakfast on Day 3 this year unless you take a HO tour. So plan on paying for all of your meals on day 1 and lunch on day 3.

Thanks for posting that list of must haves. It is a good list.

OH - I think I might have messed up - Is there a dinner and which night?? My sister already bought tickets for Wicked on Friday night.

There is a dinner and it is usually the 2nd night, but we have the big general session on the first night that you don't want to miss. Here is the agenda that is on CC

Day One
6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Registration and Booths Open
6:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Home Office Tour #1*
8 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Home Office Tour #2*
11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Upper Level Directors Luncheon
1:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Workshop
3 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. Workshop
6 p.m. – 7 p.m. President’s Reception
7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Opening General Session – Awards Night

Day Two [ return to top ]
7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Registration and booths open
7 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast
7 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Breakfast of Caring (invitation only)
8 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Supportive Spouse/Guest Forum (Home Office Tour)
9 a.m. – noon General Session
12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. Career Club Luncheon (by invitation only)
12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. General Lunch
12:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Supportive Spouse/Guest Event** (golfing)***
2:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Workshop
4 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. Workshop
7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Executive Director Banquets (Sheraton and Hilton hotels)

Day Three [ return to top ]
7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Booths open
7 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast
7:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. New Directors Breakfast
9 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. Workshop
11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Closing General Session
1:45 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Home Office Tour #3*
7 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Executive Reception
7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Directors Special Event at Field Museum

this year I will be bringing a small rolling briefcase. Last time my bag got soooo heavy what with water, notebooks, snacks etc. I was miserable! Do make sure you have very comfortable shoes!! I could not believe how much walking there was.

Conference is such an awesome experience. I really want to enjoy everything!

Last time I went I was 3 month pregnant and comfortable was not in my vocabulary! LOL...

Okay silly question here but I see that it says the booths and registration open up in the morning. What are those for? Aren't we preregistered? I admit I don't get it. Help.

You go and pick up your packet, as well as the bag they give us every year for conference. Then you can go browse all of the booths and vendors (Nancy's Artwork, Merrill, VIP, etc). It's nice to go a little early so there aren't huge lines. Getting the packet is fun because you get to see the style of this year's bag. I still use mine from 2004. I liked that better than the one we got last year.:)

Okay silly question here but I see that it says the booths and registration open up in the morning. What are those for? Aren't we preregistered? I admit I don't get it. Help.

Thats not a silly question! I'd like that answer too since this is my first year going! Last year I was in the middle of my daughters wedding that same weekend!

Once we register online, is it set in stone? In other words, can we change to another class if we want once we are there? Thanks!

Cindycooks said:

Thats not a silly question! I'd like that answer too since this is my first year going! Last year I was in the middle of my daughters wedding that same weekend!

Once we register online, is it set in stone? In other words, can we change to another class if we want once we are there? Thanks!

It is to get your new PC bag, name badge, workshop tickets, and all the rest of the goodies you get. As far as changing classes once you're there I couldn't tell you.

Yes, you can change the classes if you ant to. There is usually a place to sign up for a class change at the same spot we pick up our registration packets.

Take the Home Office Tour - especially if this is your first year going to conference! I had only been doing PC for 3 months and took the HO tour and won a shopping spree last year! I got over $2500 worth of PC products shipped directly to my house - it was sooo awesome! I had so much extra cookware I was able to stock my kitchen, my mom's and give some to my brothers not to mention I still have a few pieces in boxes! It is an awesome tour to really see where we call and where the packages ship from. This tour really helped me connect and get a visual of where and how the company works. You just never know - you might get 90 seconds to grab like crazy!

Also - it is very easy to change classes and the booths are so much fun! They also have a grab box area where you can spend something like 10, 20 or $30 on a mystery box that has old and new PC items in it! The whole experience is AWESOME and I'd never miss it - once you go you will see a difference in your business and your outlook on what a GREAT company PC is!

Make sure you go to the top of the John Han**** tower - it's like the 95th story - there is a cool lounge and bar up there that looks out over Navy pier. You have to buy a drink to stay up there but it's well worth it to see out over the city - awesome views!!

My cooking show live class last year was great! Michelle Zitto was the leader and she was a hoot! It is nice to see someone so experienced do their demo if you don't have that luxury! I signed up for Belinda's class because I've heard so many people talk about how wonderful she is - I am really looking forward to hearing her...

Ok - I'll stop now...can't wait to go to CHICAGO!!

wow - this board must be sensored due to my last posting - the name rhymes with dock!

pamper_the_chef said:
Take the Home Office Tour - especially if this is your first year going to conference! I had only been doing PC for 3 months and took the HO tour and won a shopping spree last year! I got over $2500 worth of PC products shipped directly to my house - it was sooo awesome! I had so much extra cookware I was able to stock my kitchen, my mom's and give some to my brothers not to mention I still have a few pieces in boxes! It is an awesome tour to really see where we call and where the packages ship from. This tour really helped me connect and get a visual of where and how the company works. You just never know - you might get 90 seconds to grab like crazy!

Also - it is very easy to change classes and the booths are so much fun! They also have a grab box area where you can spend something like 10, 20 or $30 on a mystery box that has old and new PC items in it! The whole experience is AWESOME and I'd never miss it - once you go you will see a difference in your business and your outlook on what a GREAT company PC is!

Make sure you go to the top of the John Han**** tower - it's like the 95th story - there is a cool lounge and bar up there that looks out over Navy pier. You have to buy a drink to stay up there but it's well worth it to see out over the city - awesome views!!

My cooking show live class last year was great! Michelle Zitto was the leader and she was a hoot! It is nice to see someone so experienced do their demo if you don't have that luxury! I signed up for Belinda's class because I've heard so many people talk about how wonderful she is - I am really looking forward to hearing her...

Ok - I'll stop now...can't wait to go to CHICAGO!!

Were you at the first tour last year? If so, I've seen you at the shopping spree!! That was awsome that you won. I was screaming for you to take everything!! Did all your stuff get home before you?:)

Michelle Zitto is GREAT! She came to one of my cluster meetings and did a live kitchen show for us!!

All of your information is fantastic. Its my first time going.. I'm in my 2nd SS and I cant wait to go!

Can you tell me if the Host Coaching and the Franklin Covey seminars are worth it? I think I did the host coaching but not positive at this moment.

If you did the Franklin in the past, what did it teach you?

TIA

I know, but water just doesn't cut it for me, need the caffeine! And I have braces now, so I can't eat alot of the other stuff, has to be soft--so chocolate is always great!!

thanks though!

Chef Kearns said:
Yes, you can change the classes if you ant to. There is usually a place to sign up for a class change at the same spot we pick up our registration packets.

You can change once now by email - call or email through the registration page.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedchristine
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
Replies
Views
LoisCuller
  • soonerchef
  • General Chat
Replies