• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Proper Etiquette for Pet Owners: Avoiding Unwanted Greetings and Germs

In summary, people who own dogs should take care not to let them jump on people when they are visiting, and also to keep them under control when they are not at home.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I wish there was such a thing! :confused: Why do people, especially when they are expecting someone--a stranger no less, let their big ole dog answer the door?:confused: Then even if it is a "harmless" dog you end up getting goosed :eek: by the darn thing! It is very annoying to me to walk into someone's home and have an animal jump up on me and/or stick their nose in my crotch. There should be some kind of etiquette class for animal owners! I don't like dog spit all over me (not on my hands, legs and ESPECIALLY not my face!!). It is not cute! It makes me cringe! And I hate to cook in someone's kitchen (or eat at their house) when I see the dog lick them in the face or on the hands and they don't go wash. Don't give me all of that "dogs mouths are cleaner than..." nonsense. It is gross!! Plain and simple!

Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen!

Can you tell I'm passionate about this too? :eek:

As an animal owner. I agree with you 110%. When I have company I always put the girls away. They have a habit of being overly friendly. They are not very big 20 lbs each or very drooly but I agree that there is no need for them to jump all over company. Thanks for bringing this up. I have in the past used my fear of dogs to ask a kost politely to please find a place for the dog. It has always worked =)

Don't sugar coat it, tell us what you really think.

rebeccastt said:
Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen!

Can you tell I'm passionate about this too? :eek:

and one more....AMEN!!

I was at my daughter's soccer game tonight and the darn man next to me had his beagle on a leash but left it slack and it kept walking UNDER my foldup chair and I was getting goosed from BELOW! After many nasty looks on my behalf, I gave up and just moved down the line! Give me a break, keep your pets close folks. I have pets too, but respect others!

Dog loverI love dogs!!

BUT I AGREE!! I have been at people's homes where their animal is practically trying to sit in my lap or trying to sniff me and it's really annoying. I agree that this should be something that a person with common sense would know. I mean it's one thing to get close to your pets at home but someone else's pets is another story. I don't want to be rude but I usually use my pregnancy as an excuse.

"Oh no I don't want that dog to jump on my stomach, OUCH!"

or

"I love dogs but can you put him away, I am already off balance and would hate to fall and have my baby in your home."
LOL

This usually gets them to put their pooch away, but for heaven's sake I would think they would just do that. I have a small maltipoo puppy who probably weighs like 5 lbs wet but I still put him and our cat away whenever we have guests unless they insist we let them out.

Debbie :D

Let me speak for the dogs out here...

"We just want to be your friend. And by the way, let's play!"

Being a dog owner of a 122 lb golden (yes, he is huge) he is not allowed on the furniture, or in people's laps. He will sniff you when you come into his home, but only because he wants to make sure you are ok to be around his people. After that he is happy to lay at your feet and look adoring in your direction. He is extremely social, and we never put him away. Where would we put him?? He grew out of the largest crate they make before he was 6 months old.

People are told before they come over that he is part of the family. But we don't tolerate him being a big, fercious animal when people come by. He doesn't bark, doesn't beg, doesn't take food off the dining table (even though he is tall enough to be able to reach the dining room table), coffee table or whereever else it may be.

Dogs are a responsibilty, and some people don't treat them as such. It's about training and sadly, some owners don't take the time to teach their pets manners and obediance.

There, I will now get off my soap box full of dog food.

By the way, that's my boy in my pic.

Good for you
PamperChefCarol said:
Let me speak for the dogs out here...

"We just want to be your friend. And by the way, let's play!"

Being a dog owner of a 122 lb golden (yes, he is huge) he is not allowed on the furniture, or in people's laps. He will sniff you when you come into his home, but only because he wants to make sure you are ok to be around his people. After that he is happy to lay at your feet and look adoring in your direction. He is extremely social, and we never put him away. Where would we put him?? He grew out of the largest crate they make before he was 6 months old.

People are told before they come over that he is part of the family. But we don't tolerate him being a big, fercious animal when people come by. He doesn't bark, doesn't beg, doesn't take food off the dining table (even though he is tall enough to be able to reach the dining room table), coffee table or whereever else it may be.

Dogs are a responsibilty, and some people don't treat them as such. It's about training and sadly, some owners don't take the time to teach their pets manners and obediance.

There, I will now get off my soap box full of dog food.

By the way, that's my boy in my pic.

Well that's great, but we are talking about people who don't give their dogs any obedience training and pretty much let their animals run the house!!

I plan to get a German shepherd soon and I know this big dog will be put through obedience training and given simple commands that will keep him from jumping on people, making a nuisance of himself to strangers and licking people who don't want to be licked.

I am looking forward to having the dog near me when strangers come to the house, for protection of course, and having him outside with my four kids while they play and having some peace of mind. But I would never let my pet cross the boundaries of being friendly by slobbering on someone or climbing in someone's lap. It surprises me to have to even say something like "Can you get this dog off me?" LOL

Putting him in....Oh and as far as putting him somewhere:

Garage
Laundry room
One of the bedrooms with a child
Backyard

If the dog can't be controlled. Otherwise I have no problem with it. I have been around dogs who are well trained and just sat in a certain spot until I left.

I totally agree with you. We have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and he is probably one of the best breeds EVER!!

Maverick is a very good dog, and listens well. He does tend to be overly "friendly" when someone comes over. If I can't calm him down BEFORE I open the door, I usually put him in his cage before I open the door.

If you don't know what this type of dog looks like, well, they look sort of like a miniature Collie. They have a collie face, Daschund shaped body/legs (very short to the ground), and no tail.
The problem here is, he tries soooo hard to be obedient, but, because he's so short to the ground, he almost has to jump in order to reach someone to get them to pet him!! It's almost comical, really.
I don't want him to jump on people though, so I do try very hard to make sure he's "caged" until he calms down.
What I usually explain to people is....I've got a dog. He doesn't bite, but he may try to jump on you. He's a big baby is all, and he honestly just thinks you've come over to see him! And, he's hoping, to play!! lol

He gets soooo excited, but he has no tail, so his whole butt actually shakes!! He's adorable!

But, nobody appreciates being "mauled", so everyone should be paying attention to their pets!! Oh, and the kissing the face thing? I totally agree....a big YUCK!!

I have Scottish Terrierists. They are trained, but when something comes up that fits into the category of rodent, all training goes right out the window.

Yeah, dealing with my hosts huge German Shepherd last Friday was so much fun. NOT!

Chef Kearns said:
I wish there was such a thing! :confused: Why do people, especially when they are expecting someone--a stranger no less, let their big ole dog answer the door?:confused: Then even if it is a "harmless" dog you end up getting goosed :eek: by the darn thing! It is very annoying to me to walk into someone's home and have an animal jump up on me and/or stick their nose in my crotch. There should be some kind of etiquette class for animal owners! I don't like dog spit all over me (not on my hands, legs and ESPECIALLY not my face!!). It is not cute! It makes me cringe! And I hate to cook in someone's kitchen (or eat at their house) when I see the dog lick them in the face or on the hands and they don't go wash. Don't give me all of that "dogs mouths are cleaner than..." nonsense. It is gross!! Plain and simple!

Finally someone who understands me!!! I've never understood rational people saying that dogs mouths are cleaner! How can a mouth that licks itself (& others) eats poop & vomit be cleaner than mine? Stupid!!

As much as I dislike being goosed by a nosy dog, I actually prefer that to the cat that climbs all over my stuff.

raebates said:
As much as I dislike being goosed by a nosy dog, I actually prefer that to the cat that climbs all over my stuff.

I agree. I had a cat at a recent show that I found licking my small bamboo spoon in my crate--it was used. Yuck! I'm not an animal person, but I can tolerate them. But I would rather they get put away when I'm trying to cook for guests!

The person who was worst about this (at least that I ever met) was my SIL. She likes BIG dogs. Not Bull Mastiffs, but big labs, German shepherds, etc. My grandmother-in-law (her grandmother) is really afraid of dogs because she was bitten as a small child. And what does SIL do when Grandma comes over for a family dinner? Does she put the dog in the (fenced) backyard or a spare bedroom? No! She lets the dog jump all over Grandma, and then laughs. B*itch. (SIL, not the dog.)

I try to keep my pets in line, but they tend to bite me when I put them away, so DH has to do it. We do get funny looks from people when Beaker flies through the house. (Wheeeeeeee!)

I'm so glad someone started this thread because I was thinking the same thing. Honestly, I don't want the dog sniffing me, either because that usually means it's in my way! I don't think it's cute for any dog to jump on me or put their wet nose on my feet no matter how much a part of the family it is. I assume many people with dogs/pets don't even understand how someone couldn't appreciate a pet because owners many times just ignore the obvious...me pushing the dog away with my foot (not kicking), me stopping as I see the dog coming and saying something like "uh oh" or "oooh", me tripping over the dog while I'm carrying things, etc.
I had a show for a very good friend of mine and I was washing off my SA large tray before using it and the dish rag had dog hair on it. YUCK! DISGUSTING! GROSS! Needless to say, I started over on that.

I understand where everyone is coming from. But my Springer Spaniel seems to have an identity problem. He thinks he is a person! He does jump, and get really excited when someone comes over... although he is getting SO much better about not jumping! We try to put him outside when we know someone is coming over, but he will bark, bark and bark for hours. I feel like that is just as annoying! (he needs to be WITH people, he won't even stay outside alone!) When we have a lot of people coming over, we board him. (What a pain!!) But... it isn't always as easy as it sounds. We went through obedience classes and all... didn't help!When I have a show at someone's house that has pets, if it is a dog I usually put all of my stuff up on a counter/table. If they have a cat, it doesn't matter where you put it because the cat will usually be on counters/tables/etc. (yuck)

How do you feel when your host or her husband greets you by licking your face and toes, jumps up and down on you when you walk through the door of their home, barks to the point of scaring you or humps your leg? I personally find it a little annoying. Yes, these are members of the family just like the dogs and cats. If it is okay for the pets to do, shouldn't it be okay for the host and the rest of her family?

Thanks!
Lisa

jenniferknapp said:
I understand where everyone is coming from. But my Springer Spaniel seems to have an identity problem. He thinks he is a person!
Just had to say I LOVE Springers. I grew up with one (her name was Spring) and she lived until 14 years old. I'd love to see a picture of yours! I want a dog badly, but can barely keep the house clean with two small kids along with my PC business. So, if we ever get one, it'll be way down the line when the kids are bigger AND I can convince my husband that dogs are awesome.:)

I agree though about the obnoxious dogs at host's homes who don't seem to have any training by their owners. I've been pretty lucky, I guess, and haven't run into too many of those.

I have a 4mo. old beagle, Nutmeg. She is adorable and cute, BUT highly active. She loves people and loves to bark. She is annoyed when we crate her and leave for a few hours. HOWEVER, I am taking her to puppy classes which ends in 2 weeks. She hasn't gotten very far, but the teacher makes great points when it comes to dogs "greeting" others. We as owners need to block them and put them in a 'sit' and 'stay'. Sometimes this works, but she is a puppy and consistency is key. So it will take time.
Now with that said it is tougher with kids mine, are 8 and 4. I do my best with them to be consistent with Nutmeg. I am determined to have a well mannered dog. I even bought a bark controller collar, which should arrive today, so that she will learn not to bark at the door bell or when being crated when we leave. (teacher didn't like it, but oh well) We will see how it works.
I do give her tons of treats to help train but she is also a treat snob so sometimes that is an obsticle too.

I have a Lhasa Poodle mix (mutt). She loves people, but also loves to jump up on people when they stop in. If I put her in her cage, she makes the most obnoxious noises I've ever heard. However, if I hold her when people come in, she's okay. After greeting everyone, she goes in the other room. She just gets so excited when people come over! ugh! I am a "cat" person...love cats, but can't have one due to allergies (everyone else in my family, not me). We got this dog because she does not shed. She is a royal pain. I love her to death, as she is a member of the family, but dogs are a pain in the you-know-what. As far as dogs/cats at shows I've done, I only had one problem with the dog trying to stick his nose into the bag where the food was, then the owner put him outside for a while, and then it was fine.

I'd like to think my kids are good!Sorry have to pipe in here..................as most who read my posts know I have three kids, all of the 4 legged kind. My dogs are all low to the ground and don't sniff people's crotches;) But my home is there home too, if people don't like it don't come over!!!!!!!!! They have never bitten anyone or been mean in anyway to our guests. Dogs have a sense of when people don't like them and they seem to act out even more then. My MIL doesn't like my basett hound and he won't leave her alone and as you know they drool big time when they get excited:eek: Otherwise he is very well behaved. We spent a lot of time training our kids to behave and would be very upset if there were sniffing people the wrong way. They also know that jumping isn't good as well.

I do agree with people who won't do anything with there kids though, it's hard to handle. Screaming, running around the house, spilling juice, tossing around your artwork, MANNERS;) ;) ;)

pcchris said:
I have a Lhasa Poodle mix (mutt). However, if I hold her when people come in, she's okay. After greeting everyone, she goes in the other room. She just gets so excited when people come over!

Most dogs will calm down and go lay down after they have been greeted. People must realize how they would feel if somebody came over and walked by without saying hello:p

First I will say I have never owned a dog but want one in a year or so when my kids are older. I have had my fair share of cats.

I am all for pets being treated as a member of the family, but I am working to teach my children how to behave properly why should it be different for pets? I would not tollerate my children jumping all over visitors to my home.

After I had a few guests at my shows visibly upset by the behavior of a hosts animals. Not to mention me being grossed out by a cat walking all over my tools that I was set up to demo. I added a note to my host letter regarding pets.

This is at the end of my letter:

"One last request… I Love animals but If you have pets I ask that you keep them away from the area where we will be working. Many times I have had cats or dogs roaming arround my tools prior to a show and this can be very unsanitary. And disconcerting to your guests.

I will be calling you soon to talk about your goals and how together we can achieve them! Feel free to call me any time!"

I try to make a point to make sure they read this and it has helped tremendously!

I usually ask my host during host coaching whether there is a pet in the house, and suggest that they be put outside or in another room so that I don't accidentally drop something and harm the pet. It's a tactful way to mention that the pet probably shouldn't be in the same room as the demo.

tpchefrebecca said:
I have a 4mo. old beagle, Nutmeg. She is adorable and cute, BUT highly active. She loves people and loves to bark. She is annoyed when we crate her and leave for a few hours. HOWEVER, I am taking her to puppy classes which ends in 2 weeks. She hasn't gotten very far, but the teacher makes great points when it comes to dogs "greeting" others. We as owners need to block them and put them in a 'sit' and 'stay'. Sometimes this works, but she is a puppy and consistency is key. So it will take time.
Now with that said it is tougher with kids mine, are 8 and 4. I do my best with them to be consistent with Nutmeg. I am determined to have a well mannered dog. I even bought a bark controller collar, which should arrive today, so that she will learn not to bark at the door bell or when being crated when we leave. (teacher didn't like it, but oh well) We will see how it works.
I do give her tons of treats to help train but she is also a treat snob so sometimes that is an obsticle too.

Training is hard but remember she is only 4m, she's just a wee baby still. I would love to see photos, I love beagles. Nutmeg is such a cute name. Classes are a great idea. I myself would not use those collars, I think a good stern "no" works just as good if not better. Good Luck and enjoy all the puppy fun:D

Let me start by saying that I am not really an animal person!! I know, that's horrible, right? Well, I have allergies and hate to have animal hair all over the place (gagging just thinking about it) , but I can deal with animals if they aren't jumping on me or licking me (gross!). I know it doesn't make sense, but I have a harder time dealing with small dogs - they seem to be a little more hyper.
With that said, my husband is an animal lover - especially dogs. Okay, not just dogs, but big dogs! Even our kids (3yrs and 1yr) love animals already.

That would explain how I got talked into a German Shepherd. According to my DH, it was our oldest's 1st birthday present - but I know that it was really for him. :) We've had her for over 2 years, and I still wouldn't consider myself an animal person - but she is definitely part of our family. I spend way too much time cleaning and vacuuming everyday so that her hair isn't all over the place, but it's worth it to see how happy my sons (and DH) are to have her. She is the best dog we could ask for. She's a great protector (of course, she's a German Shepherd! lol), really loyal, and awesome with our kids. We know that she's just a big baby, but at the same time, we are completely aware of the fact that other people may not know that. I'm sure it would scare someone to death to have her barking and growling while they're trying to walk in the door. That's why we always let her outside in the backyard when we are expecting company. If it's raining, too cold, too hot, etc then we'll put her into her cage - which she loves, because she can rest w/out our kids always wanting to play. lol I think of our home as her home as well, but I would never want someone to feel uncomfortable while being a guest in our home. So if that means she has to stay in her cage or outside for a little while, that's okay!

I like dogs, but I do have trust issues with them.

Many years ago I went to a friend's house, and I had not visited her for a while. She had a dog, who had lived with her for several months. The dog was barking away at me. My friend suggested I pet the dog and she would calm down. I had no apprehension because I was told by my friend it was the thing to do. Well, that dog took a nice bite into my arm. Luckily I was wearing a sweater so I only got a big bruise out of it. However, that really shook me up! This was at a friend's home, so you can imagine how hard of a time I have when I go into a stranger's home and I am told not to worry.

So when you have people over to your home, please remember they may have emotional scars for which you are not aware. Let me tell you, you don't want to have the fear, it is just something very hard to get over.

Thanks!
Lisa

tpchefrebecca said:
I even bought a bark controller collar, which should arrive today, so that she will learn not to bark at the door bell or when being crated when we leave.

I don't know much about beagles, but my SIL and BIL have the same breed of dog as we do (German Shepherd) and they use a bark controller collar. It works great for their dog - they only use it when away from home though, since it's pretty much impossible to stop a German Shepherd from barking to protect their home or family. They brought him to my MIL's house one day - if he started barking or jumping, all they had to do was show him the remote to the collar, and he'd stop. Our dog was abused as a puppy, so we didn't think it would be a good idea to use one on her. We do crate her when we leave though - she hated it at first, but now all we have to say is "go to your bed Mika" and she runs right to it. It took a few months to get her used to it, but our consistency paid off.

I'm not a huge pet lover but I'm not a pet hater either! I do like properly trained dogs and cats. To me animals have their place in their home like how kids have a place in their home. It is the owner/parents responsiblity to train both their animals and their kids! I do not let my kids jump all over people when they walk in the door (and trust me I have a very social daughter who LOVES people, but I don't let her climb all over people) and I don't let them play with other peoples stuff, I have taught my kids respect. I have been to many homes in the last 8 years both in my business and friends, and you can tell who trains their dogs and their kids. I can honestly say some kids upset me more than animals ever thought to! I love kids but some people don't raise their kids right and their kids rule the house! Same goes with pet owners.
For me my biggest problem is animals that don't listen and people who won't put them out! I don't want animals going through my kit and trying to get into my bags. I can't stand having animals jump on me and I can't stand them sniffing all over me. It freaks me out because it's not right. At first it's one thing that they sniff at you because that's how they know what life's about (their noses!). But my biggest thing is that my daughter is allergic to dogs and cats and she has eczema and itches so bad when she comes in contact with any dander. She breaks out in hives and starts sneezing and rubbing her eyes. When I ask people to keep their animals off my stuff because of that reason, people should respect that. The dander that comes off of animals is bad! It is all over the people that own them and all over everything that is near the dogs and cats, including my kit and bags! Then I bring it home and then it's in my home near my daughter and she goes crazy! My daughter goes crazy at school with all the dander there and when she goes to play areas! My daughter's allergist told me that those areas are so high in pet dander you'd swear a pet lives in those areas! And one more thing, their is no such thing as a dander free pet. Some have low dander but they are not dander free. My daugher is allergic to their dander and their saliva.
I understand that people love their pets like their own kids but if someone told me to not have my kids all over their stuff and I knew they were not kid people, you darn well better believe my kids will not be touching their stuff and they will behave, it's called respect. I'm respecting their feelings and their stuff and my children will too.
So I do agree with the original poster and I do understand many of the other posts but to me people just need to learn to respect other people's feelings.

By the way etteluap70PC, I love your letter idea and I think I'm going to add that to my host letter. I just wonder if I should add my daughter's allergy reason in there also? what do you think?

Last edited:
I'm with the "I love animals, but not during my demo" group. I don't mind animals at all. In fact, when I go do a host's home that has pets, I will make a point to stop and talk with the animal, learn it's name, etc. I do request that hosts keep the animals away from the area where I will be doing my demo, but don't care of the animals are in another room, outside or in a cage... whatever the family usually does.

However, I completely understand about people who do not like animals (espeically dogs) wanting the animals away from them completely. You don't need that kind of stress when you are trying to do a show. I really like Paulette's phrase that she puts in her letter. If you don't like animals (or really have a fear of them), I'd state this so your host knows up front and if this causes a problem for her, you two will have enough time to works something out.

Okay, at the risk of sticking my neck out on a limb here, I am going to add my thoughts. I am truly an animal lover. I am the person that will encourage your dog to "kiss me" I don't mind having my face licked. That is the way they show affection as they do not have the ability to "pucker up". Being a mother, and an in-home care provider for disabled and mentally challenged people, and dealing with life in general, I have seen, touched and experienced far more gruesome things than a dog kiss. To my knowledge, nobody has ever died from dog germs. It warms my heart to see the excitement in my animals, and others, when they greet me. And if by some chance I am wrong and I do die from being licked by a dog ...what a way to go!

Now, I do not push my animals on other people. If they are not behaving properly then they will be put away. But remember, if you are a guest in our home, it is their home too.

Oh and btw, I always wash my hands but if I am not mixing food with my face...the face lick isn't an issue.

yummy4tummy said:
Oh and btw, I always wash my hands but if I am not mixing food with my face...the face lick isn't an issue.

Except when you greet people...most people come in for a hug or peck on the cheek. Gross! Yucko! Anyway...

I like putting the request in your host packet. It is nice and tackful. I know there are a lot of folks out there that think of their animals as family members...more power to ya! You just have to realize that YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THEM THAT WAY!! To other folks they are animals. Plain and simple. Like an earlier poster stated she was following her friends advise by trying to pet the dog and the dog bit her! There is no reason for that to happen. Her friend should've taken heed of her apprehension and put the dog away.

I love my two dogs, the neurotic-and-over-protective German Shepherd and the incredibly-stupid-but-sweet-and-cute-as-is-possible bassett hound. These two are family members, but I respect the wishes of others, too. I have friends who don't like/are afraid of dogs. The dogs go to the laundry room. My grandmother is timid around large animals. The dogs go to the laundry room. Our GS is very protective of the kids, so when others kids come over, the dogs go to the laundry room.

I did have a show where the dogs kept sticking their noses onto the table. The guests all seemed to find this hilarious, so whatever. No one refused to eat the food! That certainly wouldn't have happened at my home, but different strokes...

BTW, lots of people look at animals as family members, not just the people who have them. Most of my friends and family who have pets know that our dogs are part of the family, and they see them as such. Sure, some folks don't see it that way, but I wouldn't say that no one sees it that way.

yummy4tummy said:
Okay, at the risk of sticking my neck out on a limb here, I am going to add my thoughts. I am truly an animal lover. I am the person that will encourage your dog to "kiss me" I don't mind having my face licked. That is the way they show affection as they do not have the ability to "pucker up". Being a mother, and an in-home care provider for disabled and mentally challenged people, and dealing with life in general, I have seen, touched and experienced far more gruesome things than a dog kiss. To my knowledge, nobody has ever died from dog germs. It warms my heart to see the excitement in my animals, and others, when they greet me. And if by some chance I am wrong and I do die from being licked by a dog ...what a way to go!

Now, I do not push my animals on other people. If they are not behaving properly then they will be put away. But remember, if you are a guest in our home, it is their home too.

This entire post made me smile :) Warm, fuzzy, adorable, pet thoughts ha ha

I'm amazed at the different responses from everyone. This pet thing is very emotional to some of us. It's almost as bad as politics! Should we start a political thread?

I am a dog lover and have 2 lab/golden crosses. We absolutely feel that they are part of the family. That being said, I will put them downstairs in their "playroom" (it's filled with toys, chewies and stuff like that) if we are having a large group of people over or small kids. My dogs are very well behaved, but love to be affectionate and play. I would hate to have my dogs scare a little kid and turn them off of animals forever.
Now good friends of mine know that I have dogs and unless they have an allergy or are very scared of them, I leave them out - and they know that.
If I am having someone over to do a show - PartyLite, Epicure, I always
put the girls downstairs. 9 times out of 10, I don't know the consultant all that well and don't know if she's afraid of big dogs, allergic etc. Also, she/he is there to do her/his job and with few exceptions (humane society, pet store, animal shelter etc) there are not pets in the work place. I would expect the same courtesy to be extended to me when I go to someone's home.

yummy4tummy said:

Thanks for such a sweet post!!!!:)

HMMMMM...wonder how many times you have hugged or been hugged or "pecked on the cheek" by someone who just kissed a dog unbeknown-st to you and you lived. There are grosser things that I have seen on or near a person's face than dog. And unless you've been mauled by a slobbering St. Bernard then there should be no residue. Good thing my gag reflexes are better than yours or else my DD would have received no affection after seeing some of the things that have ended up not only on her face but in her mouth as well.

But your kids are your kids. Animals are animals.

rennea said:
Training is hard but remember she is only 4m, she's just a wee baby still. I would love to see photos, I love beagles. Nutmeg is such a cute name. Classes are a great idea. I myself would not use those collars, I think a good stern "no" works just as good if not better. Good Luck and enjoy all the puppy fun:D

I tried to upload photos but they are too big. I know she is just a baby, but my husband works a lot of hours and I do have to leave the house every now and then. Our neighbors do need some peace and quiet. She slept last night in our room in her crate for the first time and didn't bark once! I talked to the trainer for weeks for tips and she tells me this yesterday. Oh well better late than never. She is a very stubborn girl and I try my best. I just tend to loose patience with only 3 hours sleep.

Okay I forgot I had a program that resizes your pics. Here is Nutmeg. All of our pets have been named after culinary terms. She is a red beagle and it seems to fit.

Attachments

• Nutmeg.jpg
    Nutmeg.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Nutmeg 2.jpg
    Nutmeg 2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:
tpchefrebecca said:
I tried to upload photos but they are too big. I know she is just a baby, but my husband works a lot of hours and I do have to leave the house every now and then. Our neighbors do need some peace and quiet. She slept last night in our room in her crate for the first time and didn't bark once! I talked to the trainer for weeks for tips and she tells me this yesterday. Oh well better late than never. She is a very stubborn girl and I try my best. I just tend to loose patience with only 3 hours sleep.

Okay I forgot I had a program that resizes your pics. Here is Nutmeg. All of our pets have been named after culinary terms. She is a red beagle and it seems to fit.

She is way too cute!!!

But your kids are your kids. Animals are animals.

and germs are germs. All God's creatures that deserve love and affection.

If we're talking about God here, He did say humans were to rule over animals, not the other way around. We are to love people. God never says we have to love animals. And I'm not saying we have the right to be mean to them, either. People come first, in my opinion.

JAE said:
If we're talking about God here, He did say humans were to rule over animals, not the other way around. We are to love people. God never says we have to love animals. And I'm not saying we have the right to be mean to them, either. People come first, in my opinion.

Thank you, honey!! I mean I know I'm coming across nasty to some of you, but truly some animal owners go wayyy overboard. Can we say..."get a life/hobby/outside interest?

Chef Kearns said:
Thank you, honey!! I mean I know I'm coming across nasty to some of you, but truly some animal owners go wayyy overboard. Can we say..."get a life/hobby/outside interest?

Ouch:eek: Ok now that's just rude:eek:

tpchefrebecca said:

How sweet, she is a sweety!! Good job on the crate idea, that is what we have done. It worked with two of ours but not our bassett hound:rolleyes: She will learn to like her crate, it will become her little hide away.

Chef Kearns said:
Thank you, honey!! I mean I know I'm coming across nasty to some of you, but truly some animal owners go wayyy overboard.

I agree with you about some owners going overboard. My ex-sister-in-law was one of those people which is why I don't like animals very well. She treated her animals better than she treated people. She got mad at me because she had this one really obnoxious dog that loved me. It wouldn't leave me alone & she got mad when I kept trying to get it to leave me alone. I didn't kick it or anything even tho I wanted to throw it out the window.

I don't tell people they are horrible for liking animals but that's how they treat me if I say I don't like animals. Thank goodness I have allergies so I can use that as a reason to avoid them. I got sick & tired of people trying to convince me to like animals by forcing them on me!

My opinion, of course i am coming from the animal lover side of things ( 4 labs, 3 horses, 2 roosters,4 hens) I feel that if you are being invited to a home for a demo and you as a consultant are not an animal lover. Then instead of starting off on the wrong foot with the host. Weather the host does or does not put the animals away is up to them and if you are not comfortable with this then ask someone else to do the show that dosen't have a problem with animals. My director is not fond of animals at her demos so we have an agreement that instead of hurting the owners/host feelings she asks me to do the show. Some plp (elderly, handicap etc.) familys it is there life, hobby and most importantly companion for life.
I just wanted to put my $.02 in. Not to make anyone upset either way.

<h2>1. Why do people let their dogs answer the door?</h2><p>People may let their dogs answer the door because they view their pet as a member of the family and may not see any harm in it. They may also feel that their dog is friendly and won't harm anyone. However, it is important to remember that not everyone may feel comfortable with dogs answering the door, and it is important to respect others' boundaries and preferences.</p><h2>2. What can I do to avoid being jumped on by a dog when entering someone's home?</h2><p>If you are uncomfortable with dogs jumping on you, it is important to communicate this to the pet owner before entering their home. You can politely ask them to keep their dog restrained or to put them in another room while you are visiting. You can also try to avoid eye contact and turn your body to the side to make yourself seem less threatening to the dog.</p><h2>3. Is it okay to let a dog lick me on the face or hands?</h2><p>This is a personal preference and can vary from person to person. However, it is important to remember that dogs carry bacteria in their mouths, and it is possible to get sick from being licked. It is always a good idea to wash your hands after interacting with any animal.</p><h2>4. How can I politely decline a dog's unwanted greetings?</h2><p>If you are uncomfortable with a dog's greetings, you can politely decline by saying something like, "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable with dogs jumping on me. Can you please call them away?" or "I prefer not to be licked by dogs. Is it okay if I pet them instead?" Remember to always communicate your boundaries respectfully.</p><h2>5. Are there any etiquette classes for pet owners?</h2><p>While there may not be specific etiquette classes for pet owners, there are resources available that can help educate pet owners on proper pet etiquette. Some local animal shelters or training facilities may offer classes or workshops on responsible pet ownership. It is also important for pet owners to stay informed and educated on the proper care and behavior of their pets.</p>

Related to Proper Etiquette for Pet Owners: Avoiding Unwanted Greetings and Germs

1. Why do people let their dogs answer the door?

People may let their dogs answer the door because they view their pet as a member of the family and may not see any harm in it. They may also feel that their dog is friendly and won't harm anyone. However, it is important to remember that not everyone may feel comfortable with dogs answering the door, and it is important to respect others' boundaries and preferences.

2. What can I do to avoid being jumped on by a dog when entering someone's home?

If you are uncomfortable with dogs jumping on you, it is important to communicate this to the pet owner before entering their home. You can politely ask them to keep their dog restrained or to put them in another room while you are visiting. You can also try to avoid eye contact and turn your body to the side to make yourself seem less threatening to the dog.

3. Is it okay to let a dog lick me on the face or hands?

This is a personal preference and can vary from person to person. However, it is important to remember that dogs carry bacteria in their mouths, and it is possible to get sick from being licked. It is always a good idea to wash your hands after interacting with any animal.

4. How can I politely decline a dog's unwanted greetings?

If you are uncomfortable with a dog's greetings, you can politely decline by saying something like, "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable with dogs jumping on me. Can you please call them away?" or "I prefer not to be licked by dogs. Is it okay if I pet them instead?" Remember to always communicate your boundaries respectfully.

5. Are there any etiquette classes for pet owners?

While there may not be specific etiquette classes for pet owners, there are resources available that can help educate pet owners on proper pet etiquette. Some local animal shelters or training facilities may offer classes or workshops on responsible pet ownership. It is also important for pet owners to stay informed and educated on the proper care and behavior of their pets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GeorgiaPeach
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
Replies
Views
AlowayFamily
Back