• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preserving Cucumbers: A Recipe for Pickling

In summary, my friend is trying to locate her recipe for cucumber salad that she had made in the past but has not been able to find it yet. She knows that you soak them in salted water for a few hours, then add sugar, vinegar and celery salt/seed to them. The recipe also contains cucumbers, bell peppers and onions. Another question that my friend had was about how thinly you have to slice the vegetables for the salad to be edible. The final question that my friend had was about whether or not you have to rinse the vegetables after salting and draining them. The answer to all three questions was that you do not have to rinse them, and they will still taste salty if you do not let
jrstephens
My friend is trying to locate her recipe but has not found it yet.

She knows you soak them for a few hours in salted water, then add sugar, vinegar and celery salt/seed to them. Contains cucumbers, bell peppers and onions.

I have a bunch of cucumber that I want to put up this way b/c I do not want to have to do different steps for days to put them up.

Thanks for sharing!

Got it!Someone just called me with it! Here it is in case any one would like it.

6 cup cucumbers
1 cup bell peppers
1 cup onions

1 Tablepoon salt

Stir together cover store 2 hours

Drain all liquid

1 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Sit in frig over night. mixture will dissolve on its own. Can store in frig up to 6 months.

Thanks! I love these.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks! Too bad I don't have a garden full of cukes and zuchinni! You guys talking about all of these today is making me want some!

Guess I'll have to pay .75 per cuke at the store, dangit!

Jennifer~

I was reading over the recipe again, and I have a question.

After you let the cukes, peppers, and onions sit salted and you pour off the liquid, do you need to rinse them? It won't be too salty?

Another question:

Do they have to be thinly sliced for this to work? How "thick" can you make them?

I sliced mine with the V blade on the Mandoline.

I drained mine but did not rinse them. Some people rinse and some don't. The ones I tasted did not rinse theirs, so, I did not either. I guess it depends on how salty you like stuff.

I made a batch last night and have not tasted them yet. I am going to make another batch tonight. Iwill go taste last night's batch and tell you if they are really salty. Be back in a few minutes with the results.............

They did not taste salty at all. They still need to sit longer before eating I think for the flavors to soak more in the cucumber.

PS,
I got a huge jar at Walmart for $5 that will probably hold 3 makings of these. I found it on the aisle with the Canisters and stuff - not in the canning section.

1. How do I choose the best cucumbers for pickling?

The best cucumbers for pickling are small, firm, and have thin skin. Look for pickling cucumbers at your local farmer's market or grocery store. Avoid using cucumbers that are too large or have thick skin, as they will not absorb the pickling brine as well.

2. Can I use regular table salt for pickling cucumbers?

No, it is important to use pickling or canning salt for this recipe. Regular table salt contains additives that can cause the pickling brine to become cloudy. Pickling salt dissolves more easily and will help give your pickles a clear appearance.

3. How long do I need to wait before I can eat the pickled cucumbers?

The pickled cucumbers need to sit in the brine for at least 24 hours before they are ready to eat. However, for the best flavor, it is recommended to wait 1-2 weeks before opening the jar.

4. Can I reuse the pickling brine for another batch of pickles?

Yes, you can reuse the pickling brine for another batch of pickles. However, the second batch may not be as flavorful as the first. It is recommended to use fresh brine for each batch of pickles.

5. How long will the pickled cucumbers last?

If stored properly in a cool, dark place, the pickled cucumbers can last up to 1 year. Once opened, they should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within a few weeks for the best quality.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BlessedWifeMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperedSD
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies