• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Are Your Best Budget-Friendly Family Meal Ideas?

In summary, the author's sister and niece have been staying with them, and they are having trouble coming up with meals that everyone will like. They have been through most of their PC cookbooks and are in need of menu ideas. They are also in need of groceries soon. They have been trying to be more frugal at home and have found that dishes with pasta or rice are the most filling for the money. They have also been trying Chicken a la King and Bean Burritos with Brown Rice.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hello fellow cheffers- how are you all doing?

I've been away for a bit as I threw my back out (for the second time in about 6 weeks) so I've been happily doped up and in bed for the past week, but I'm happy to say that I'm sober today and feeling pretty good...well I was good until I read Ms. Jean's thread and found out I'm addicted to carmex, kleenex, and pepto bismol, but I'm a trooper, so I'll get through this disturbing discovery with expensive therapy and bags of M&M's!

Since my sister and niece came to stay with us, and I am still unemployed I am finding it difficult to come up with affordable, yet satisfying meals to cook for all of us. I've been through all my PC cookbooks, and we've done most of what I know everyone will eat/like at least twice and I'm in need of some menu ideas/recipes from you guys.

I could easily go to Allrecipies.com, or another recipe site, but I trust you guys and if you say your picky eaters LOVE it, well then I'm up for trying it. If it is easier, feel free to email me your recipes at [email protected]- or just share it here for everyone else to enjoy.

It doesn't have to be a PC recipe, in fact I'd prefer if it weren't. It just has to be hearty (meaning I don't want a recipe for a whimpy salad, or a cheese sandwich, but need something substantial with some meat/protein in it. If you give me the main entree, I can figure out what side dishes will go best with it)

My hubby would be so happy with steak and baked potatoes every night, but since the arrival of my sister and niece, our grocery bill is about $700.00 each month, so steak is now a luxury. I can't believe how much my sister eats, and milk is about $4.59 per gallon here, and they drink an awful lot of milk. Don't get me started on how much toilet paper and kleenex they go through too! UGH...

Anyway, I need recipes and ideas because I really need to get groceries either tomorrow or Saturday because tonight I had to make pancakes because I'm fresh out of ideas, and the fridge is getting bare.

Thanks for the help in advance- I can't wait to see what you have for me! :)

Last edited:
hmm....What about a Chili (turkey or ground beef), soup, stew?
Cook up a chicken or turkey - that will give you a few different meals.

Sorry, I am not very good at this. :)

Baked beans. I second the chili option. I found Menu Mailer (saving dinner) to be good at a period when I was having similar sorts of troubles. It is fairly cheap and she sends you an email once a week with a menu and a grocery list sorted by area of the grocery store. There are different options including a frugal one. I tried the vegetarian one (I had a meat aversion in my first pregnancy) and the regular one. Both were quite good.It was a lifesaver at the time. ZK (having really bad insomnia tonight)

Kacey- have you tried using The Grocery Game? The site lists items on sale at grocery stores in your area and actually lists what you should buy based on sales trends and coupons. There are people who save over 60% on their groceries! There's a free trial to the site, but if you sign up can you use my email ([email protected]) as the person who referred you? (I can get free weeks.)Now on to the food. I've been trying to be more frugal at home, too, and I've found that dishes with pasta or rice are the most filling for the money. We tend to eat too much meat in this country (not that everyone needs to go vegetarian, but a couple of ounces at dinner is plenty), and serving a one-pot meal can help stretch the number of servings from a pound of meat. The Creamy One Pot Pasta from the current SBRC is GREAT with grilled chicken mixed in (cut into little pieces). And you can change up the vegetables in it to suit your family's tastes - and even add more to stretch it.I like Chicken a la King - another recipe that allows me to stretch 2 cooked chicken breasts into 6 servings. I've posted my recipe, but I'll try to remember to post it here again.

Regarding what Ann said. One of the most filling meals we make (and my boys have hollow legs) is bean burritos with brown rice. Roll beans,(kidney or black) salsa, red and green peppers, celery and red (or plain) onions into a tortilla, top with cheese if desired and bake for a bit (this varies depending on whether the beans are already hot). Serve with more salsa and some sour cream (if desired). ZK

I love to grab some oven stuffers on sale - cook up at least 2 (we are a family of 7) throw in some mashed potatoes and a veg - (meal 1) then strip the left over chicken literally down to the bones - take that chicken and make either soup, chicken salad, throw some southwest season mix or jerk rub and cook it up - stir fry with some veggies - (meal 2)

Kacey,

I think that many people are having this problem of everything being so expensive. Here is something that is easy that I make and my family loves it.

Take 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them up into bite size pieces and then put them in a skillet with a little olive oil and cook. Then while that is cooking chop up 1/2 of an onion and 1/2 of a green pepper and then once the chicken is cooked then add the onion, green pepper and 1/2 a bag of frozen corn. Saute all of this for a little bit and then add about 3 cups of rice, 1 jar of salsa and 3 cans of chicken broth. Bring this to a boil and then turn down to low and cover. Cook until rice is ready to eat. The rice will soak up the liquid and will get so that you have no more liquid. I stir it every so often. Hope that you enjoy this.

Ashley Smith

First of all I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, but be sure to shop around for the best prices. Do you have an Aldi store where you live? That is where I buy many food items since I have 3 teenage kids! For example a box of animal crackers (yes my 15 year old loves them) is only $1.19 for a huge box. They taste just like the once with the circus box (can't remember the name). I also get syrup for $1.19 a bottle. Pancake mix for $.99, the add water only kind. Bread there is cheap too, but if you have time go to a bread outlet store. They usually have a loaf of bread for $.45. Of course, these are pricec in Indiana. We have five people in the family and I usually spend about $600 a month on groceries.

Here are some of the cheap things I like to make. Spaghetti (I make my own garlic bread w/piece of bread cooked on grill pan), breakfast for dinner, homemade pizza (I make my own sauce w/tomato sauce, garlic and PC Italian Seasoning), Country Style ribs (boil w/garlic for about 40 min. and put in slow cooker for the day w/BBQ sauce - you can make your own w/PC seasoning), hamburgers, meatloaf. I also don't go to the store until we are out of just about everything so we don't end up throwing stuff away. When we get to the end we sometimes just make egg sandwiches (a fried egg on bread).

Here is a recipe that will spread 1 lb. of hamburger very far - you may be able to use just 1/2 lb. for 4 of you. We call them Girl Scout Hamburgers because that is where we got the recipe when I was a little kid:

Preheat broiler.
Mix hamburger w/chopped onion (to taste but I would say 1/2 cup),
add 1 egg, a nice squirt of mustard, and a few shakes of Worsteshier Sauce - mix. Take hamburger buns and spread mustard on them (1 of my kids doesn't like mustard and I leave a few plan for her). Top with a thin (must be thin or it won't cook through) layer of hamburger mixture. Lay on a broler pan and broil for about 5 minutes, but you must watch them close so they don't burn. Don't put them real close to the broiler. I put them on the center rack of the oven. Take them out when the meat is no longer pink.

Make homemade cheese fries to go w/them. Take potatoes, peal (if you don't like the peal on fries), cut them with your APCS, place the rings of potatoes in your DCB, melt butter or margarine w/a clove of garlic in the microwave (I usually use about 1/2 of stick or so), pour over the potatoes, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and make sure they are done. Top with cheese and bacon bits, put lid back on until the cheese melts.

There are a log of tips, but when milk goes on sale, stock up and freeze it. It tastes great when thawed.

I know these are tough times. I'm spending about $800 on gas for my husband and I to drive to work and back. Just imagine was I could do w/$400 a month in my budget if gas was about 1/2 of what it is now! Makes me sick to think about it!

Take Care and let me know if you have any questions on the recipes.

You said your DH likes steak - have you ever tried a pork steak? They are very tasty on the grill and way less expensive than beef.

I'll put my thinking cap on and check back with you in a little while with more ideas.

I am posting this article I wrote incase you find somethign useful in it:

Maximizing your Profits by Saving Money at the Grocery Store
by Kristina Hege of First Friends Home Daycare & Preschool

Now that we able to claim the standard meal deduction, keeping track of who eats what (family vs. daycare) becomes much less important. We are able to better benefit from storing foods bought at loss leader prices. I thought I would share with you some tips that may help you save money as you shop for child care food supplies, as well as your family.

~Don't shop hungry. It seems obvious that we would be more likely to add unneeded items to our shopping cart if your tummy is rumbling.

~Leave them at home. It's unlikely that you'll be able to make accurate price comparisons with your husband or young children tagging along, let alone the extra items they are likely to add to the cart.

~Shop with cash. People are generally more likely to increase their spending if they are using a debit or credit card, as opposed to cash. For some reason, it's harder to hand over the green.

~Plan your weekly menus based on weekly adds. Make it a challenge to add as many loss leader (deeply discounted sales items stores use to lure you to THEIR store) into your menu as possible.

~Shop with a list and stick with it. Add the loss leaders found in the exercise above, planning to purchase extras of non-perishable foods.

~Ask for a Rain Check if the store is out of the advertised sale item. Every grocery store I have ever frequented has offered rain checks on out of stock ADVERTISED items. When a clerk replies with an estimate of when more product may be available, I state that it is unlikely that I will return by that time and that I would prefer the rain check.

~Coupon storage. Make a place for your coupons. I use a small Rubbermaid or sterlite container with index cards and stationary sized envelopes. Make sure to throw a calculator in there as well.

~Clip coupons on any item you would buy IF it were at least half off. File the coupons right away. You won't use them if you can't find them!

~Take time once a month to quickly discard expired coupons. Although it is not always the case, many coupons expire at month's end. You could piggy-back this task with your food program submission, so you won't forget. It takes less time than you think to do this, and it will keep your system working by keeping you from becoming frustrated while searching through your file at the store.

~Coupons should only be used if a lower unit price is produced. Be selective and make sure the coupon item is a better buy than a similar sale item or store brand item. I probably only use about 5% of the coupons I clip. Because I clip a good number of them, that still adds up to a significant savings.

~Use manufacturer coupons and store coupons together (one each). Nearly all store (Costco excluded) will allow you to use BOTH a manufacturer coupon (as in the Sunday paper) along with a store coupon (as in the store's weekly sales flyer).

~If you find a good deal, particularly on items that do not soon expire, buy the limit. A pantry filled with $.20 tuna fish, $.45 peaches and $.50 refried beans serves you three-fold. By purchasing items at loss leader prices you will spending less money over-all on the same groceries, you will have a strong food storage to aid you in disaster preparedness, and you may very well be able to avoid otherwise unnecessary trips to the store.

~Purchase quality whole-grain breads from bakery outlet stores. I purchase bread from the Franz/Gai Outlet near 112th & Golden-Givens, but others can be found in the phone book or on-line. Breads can be frozen and stored for 2-3 weeks without compromising taste, texture, or safety. By switching to cracked wheat (which is NOT whole grain) first, I now have all of the children eating whole grain bread, rolls, bagels, english muffins, and buns. For variety, I also occasionally purchase sliced french bread (great for french toast), butterflake rolls, specialty breakfast breads and the like.

~Costco offers convenience, but not necessarily the best prices or healthiest options. You may want to try some of the ideas mentioned here before renewing your membership.

~Cash-n-Carry (near 112th & Pacific among other locations) offers warehouse prices without the warehouse fees. Look for excellent prices on dairy items, fresh fruits and vegetables, tortillas, and paper products among other things. This is also a great place to purchase pitchers, slotted spoons, serving trays, and other things needed to aid in effective family style serving. Milk is always less than $2 per gallon.

~When purchasing items in bulk or from a warehouse type store, consider whether you are actually saving money, or are instead receiving more product than you need. Will you use the item before it expires? Would you be just as happy with less (and healthier too if the product is potato chips or something like that.)

~Keep a price book to compare savings. A price book does not have to be a fancy notebook. It could be as simple as keeping a piece of notebook paper in your wallet, listing your most frequently purchased items and their unit prices at various stores. You may be surprised to find that your membership is not worth it's prince in savings, or that you could save dollars simply by crossing the street. Having this information handy can also help you decide whether to purchase an item where you are shopping, or to wait until your next trip to the another store. Often the unit price is calculated for you on the tiny shelf sticker.

~Only purchase groceries at the grocery store. Often the stores are able to offer lower priced grocery items, at least in part, by increasing prices on "essential" non-grocery items. Laundry, paper and other household items should be purchased elsewhere. If the item is a loss leader item, it may very well be less expensive at the grocery store, but in most cases that is the only way.

~Private label/store brands often have great taste. I personally tend to dislike Western Family and some Fred Meyer brand items, but like most all of the Safeway and Albertson's items. Generic items are definitely worth a try, especially when trying them out at loss leader prices.

~Always check the expiration dates! A great deal is only a great deal if you can safely and reasonably use the product before its life's end.

~Unsure how to best select produce, ask! Take a moment to learn a few tricks from your produce stocker, who will likely be more than happy to explain how to select a cantaloupe or onion.

~Summit Foods in Puyallup off of Canyon Rd has 10 pound sales on fruits, vegetables and meats every week. If you are in the area, I suggest you check it out. Unless all of the bananas are bright yellow already, I can definitely use 10 pounds of cantaloupe, apples, oranges, or bananas before they go bad. While the other IGA stores (Sarr's Market Place) do not tend to have as deeply discounted prices, you may want to check them out, especially for produce and meats. No matter where you shop, always take the time to bag your own produce, rather than select a bag off the display. No one will take more care picking the best produce, than you!

~Bulk spices are available at Fred Meyers. Often when buying spices and seasonings, you are paying for the container. Why not help the earth and your pocket book by reusing the ones you have. Cash-n-Carry also has decent prices on packaged seasonings.

~Albertson's take competitors coupons - you may not use non-grocery store coupons (drug stores, produce stands), but do take Fred Meyer's grocery item coupons. In-ad manufacturer coupons are also not usually accepted.

~Wherever you shop, be sure to sign up for the store's ad mailing if they offer to mail them to you. Also, signing up for the store's preferred program will often get you specials and coupons not offered to other customers.

For more money saving ideas, pick up one of the three volumes of Tightwad Gazette from the Pierce County Library, or visit the dollar stretcher online at http://www.stretcher.com.

Coupon Organization

You can organize your coupons a number of ways (by location in store, alphabetical, etc), but the most important thing is use a system that will work for you.

Store coupons to be used this week
Rain Checks to be used this week
Rain checks
Baby Supplies
Baking (in which I put anything found in this isle - Jell-O mix, marshmallows)
Beverages (have a separate envelopes ~ coffee, juice, other)
Body (soap, razors, deodorant)
Bread (including hot dog buns, bagels)
Candy
Canned foods (4 envelopes here~ fruit, tomato, p&j, other such as beans
Cereal
Cleaning
Condiments (one for ketchup, mayo and mustard, and one for everything else including salsa, marinades, and sauces)
Cookies
Crackers
Dairy/Cheese
Dog food
Feminine
Frozen Foods
Hair
Household (batteries, biscuits, etc)
Ice cream (yes, a whole envelope just for ice cream, cones and toppings!)
Laundry
Meat
Medicines
Mouth (toothpaste, gels, floss, rinse)
Paper products (tp, paper towels, napkins)
Pasta/rice
Plastic (garbage bags, glad wrap, bags)
Snacks (ships, fruit snacks, pretzels)
Seasonings
Soup

Happy Shopping!

This site has a "frugal" plan to save you money while you prepare good meals for your family. My husband and I used to subscribe but we got out of the habit. The food was good and the shopping list plus recipes make it simple. You can download a free menu to see what it's all about. I enjoyed the fact that someone else had to decide "wha't for dinner".

Welcome to Saving Dinner

We had this for dinner last night and it was very good and could definately be stretched like others have mentioned.

-1 1/2 lbs chicken - cut into strips or cubes - brown in pan with Sesame oil (could use olive oil but we like the Sesame) and some Soy sauce.
-Cook some brown rice - we did the minute rice and I did it for 4 (only 2 of us but we wanted lunchs for today) - you can make as much as you need.
-When the chicken is done dump in a bag of frozen asian or stir fry veggies - I bought a bag for $1 and also a bag of sugar snap peas - also $1. Cover and let the veggies steam and you can add some of our asian seasoning.
-Dump the rice in when the veggies are done.

I put a little bit of peanut sauce from the store for extra flavor and served more on the side (DH is 2 and it is a little spicy for him). Could definately stretch with more veggies and rice - it was very tasty and filling!

Kacey
I know this isnt recipes but what really helps me stick to a budget I do around 200 a week for my family of 5 is I plan out meals ahead of time and stick to my grocery list mostly. But one meal I really like is hamburger stroganoff. Hamburger, onion,cream of mushroom soup, a little water or milk heat through when heated through add about 1 cup sour cream serve over rice or noodles my DH loves it over rice.

Also I go to Albertsons here after 7:00 and they always have thier meat on reduced price so I can get it for 1.29 lb and I stock up on it when ever I can. One day I got 40lbs of hamburger for a little over 50.00 Good luck with everything that is going on.

Sometimes we enjoy ramen noodles and I throw in whatever I have on hand, chicken/beef/veggies (canned, fresh or frozen), any leftovers I want to use up.

Also there are some great recipes (variations) to spice up ramen noodles --sauces etc.

Good luck!

Hi Kacey,In May's Good Housekeeping (which I am pretty sure I subscribed to for free through Vistaprint) there is an article about dinners for $10: 2 weeks of meals for 4 or more. Does anyone know if it would be a copyright issue if I scanned the article and posted it here?

Thanks for all these great ideas, guys! I have to go back and re-read all of this because I was just on my way out the door. I appreciate the help!

I just joined this website called the coupon clipper, and I have quite a load of coupons coming my way for stuff I actually use! None of the stores in my area allow double coupons, or double coupon days, so I've noticed that about 85% of the coupons that are in the local market's flyers are for things we don't eat, or like...or I have to buy 10 of them to get the discounted price, and I don't have room for 10 boxes of frozen pizza!

We have a small freezer in the garage to stock up on bread, veggies, and meats, but it fills up fast. My DH is italian, and is a very picky pasta eater- I don't make a ton of pasta because I'm insulin resistant and the pasta just turns to sugar in my system, and I'll just store it all as fat...and my sister only likes mushy pasta dishes, and I cook my noodles like a chef, not a buffet table chef. (totally not trying to offend buffet cooks :) )

If I like it, DH or Sister won't...if I don't like it, they will- it gets tough. The meals that are the most affordable, DH won't eat, or he'll just eat a tiny portion and then will go through an entire bag of potato chips, or half a container of ice cream, or half a bag of cookies throughout the night because he's still hungry. He won't eat the fruit up here, because in all honesty the produce in the Twin Cities is sub-par quality at best. I normally shop at the high end grocery stores just to get produce, but they charge $5.99 per pound of grapes. Granted they last longer, because they are fresher, but still- when you see that cash register charging you $14.00 for a bag of grapes you get a little ticked off- THEY'RE GRAPES- not GOLD! Grrrr

I agree with the rice one dish meals, but DH HATES rice- he'll only eat Jasmine rice and at that, I can't serve it more than twice a month or he'll complain. I know- tell him to suck it up, but I'd rather cook something that he'll get full on, then have him devour a weeks worth of snacks and lunch box items in one sitting- because then I just spend additional money during the week to replenish that stuff. The more I think about it, the more upset I'm getting at just how darn spoiled and picky he is, and same with my sister.

I should just make what I want, but like I said- I can't because of the snacking that goes on to fill up his overly large stomach because he didn't eat at dinner.

Well, thanks for the ideas, I gotta run- keep them coming! :)

jbachen said:
Hi Kacey,

In May's Good Housekeeping (which I am pretty sure I subscribed to for free through Vistaprint) there is an article about dinners for $10: 2 weeks of meals for 4 or more.

Does anyone know if it would be a copyright issue if I scanned the article and posted it here?

You could scan them and email them to me in a PDF if you wanted...I won't tell the copyright police. Or I could just go and buy the magazine when I run to the grocery store tomorrow. :)

Kitchen Diva said:
You could scan them and email them to me in a PDF if you wanted...I won't tell the copyright police. Or I could just go and buy the magazine when I run to the grocery store tomorrow. :)

Well, if you buy the whole magazine, you get the added benefit of Paula Deen's favorite family recipes! ;) But if you have trouble finding it and still want me to scan the article, just let me know...

jbachen said:
Well, if you buy the whole magazine, you get the added benefit of Paula Deen's favorite family recipes! ;) But if you have trouble finding it and still want me to scan the article, just let me know...
Super! Thanks much, and I'll let you know if I cannot find it! :)

You guys are sooo super helpful! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
The more I think about it, the more upset I'm getting at just how darn spoiled and picky he is, and same with my sister.

I should just make what I want, but like I said- I can't because of the snacking that goes on to fill up his overly large stomach because he didn't eat at dinner.
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like DH and sis each need a good smack upside the head with your grocery bill!

I'm with Ann but I also understand the frustration... you are the only one that is conscious of the budget and no one else cares!! Same at my house. Maybe you need to sit them both down and explain the issue and ask them for dinner ideas that they can agree on or at least compromise on. Explain the snack issue as well, or package the lunch items individually as soon as you get home and stash them in a special tub or something and tell DH they are off limits or you will chop his hands off! (sorry, feeling a little violent today :angel: )

Or as my grandmother would've said to her kids--- "eat it or go to bed hungry" LOL

Oops- sorry about that. I had a lot more that I wanted to say in my last post and a customer called with an order ($140! woo-hoo!). And now I've forgotten specifics, but it boils down to: eat it and like it or go hungry. You aren't a short order cook in a diner - you're one person trying to make ends meet in a household where things have been really shaken up in the last couple of months!I know you had mentioned earlier that your sister was going to find out about getting some assistance (WIC, etc.). Any good news from that? Because it wouldn't necessarily help you come up with meals that everyone will eat, but it would help with the bills.

I have a household of picky eaters - they are getting better, well the little ones are.I'll type up some of the common meals we do that are reasonable sometime tonight for you.We do MANY variants with boneless skinless chicken breasts.On a side note, has your sister gotten assistance yet...or maybe a part-time job to help with the bills?

You could also look into Angel Food Ministries. It has been mentioned on here before... like $25 for a good size box of food. You can check out the website and see if the menu items are anything you would be interested in. I also found online sometime in the last several days some menu planner site that takes the Angel Food box and puts it into meal plans for you (to make life a little easier). We found that we weren't using all of the stuff so we stopped but it might be worth checking into. There are no qualifications for getting the boxes - usually at local churches.

just a thought!

Kacey
What I do when my kids munch on everything I tell them once its gone its gone till next pay day. We went a whole week without chips since my kids got into them and devoured them.

chefann said:
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like DH and sis each need a good smack upside the head with your grocery bill!
I agree! If I fold it into halves, then halves, then halves, it should be as thick and as sturdy as your garden variety BRICK! :)

BTW- my sister had to file for a protection order, and was requesting money for living expenses, and I told her to put down $300.00 per month for groceries, and she said: "You want me to give you $300.00 per month for groceries?!!" And I said, well, until you came along I was only spending about $400 per month, now I'm spending $700-$800 per month, so yes... I'd like $300.00 a month from you. My gosh- the child has never eaten so well! I guarantee you that she never ate this well on the budget she had back in her home!!! Picky little twit!

Okay, off my soap box, and back to my baked BBQ chicken...

Here's a great recipe I make at home that gets gobbled right up and is cheap and filling...

Attachments

• Messy Lasagna - not a PC recipe.doc
    20 KB · Views: 224
I would say not only will the 300 help with groceries but I am sure that your electric bill and water bill went up so you can tell her that can help for that added expense to.

hperschnick said:
You could also look into Angel Food Ministries. It has been mentioned on here before... like $25 for a good size box of food. You can check out the website and see if the menu items are anything you would be interested in. I also found online sometime in the last several days some menu planner site that takes the Angel Food box and puts it into meal plans for you (to make life a little easier). We found that we weren't using all of the stuff so we stopped but it might be worth checking into. There are no qualifications for getting the boxes - usually at local churches.

just a thought!

As tempting as that sounds, we are not hard up for food- I really feel that this is something that should be left for families that have to choose between gasing up their cars to get to work each day or eating each day...I am just looking for ways to be more frugal and stretch that dollar as far as it will go. I'm not working, and my sister sure isn't helping out with the bills- hence my desire to get other menu ideas from all of you guys here!

Thanks for the suggestion however, it is a good one! :)

Jennie4PC said:
I would say not only will the 300 help with groceries but I am sure that your electric bill and water bill went up so you can tell her that can help for that added expense to.

Don't even get me started! Water bill has doubled, and electric bill is about $150-200 more than it was this time last year... My little niece has 5 blankets on her bed and my sister still complains that we took the space heater out of her room... I told her if she wanted the space heater in my nieces room, to get a job to pay for it because we can't afford to run it and it's not getting below zero anymore at night and the child won't freeze to death...

dannyzmom said:
Here's a great recipe I make at home that gets gobbled right up and is cheap and filling...

What are malfalda noodles? I thought I was in the know when it came to pasta, now I'm afraid I don't know nothin'!:D

janetupnorth said:
I have a household of picky eaters - they are getting better, well the little ones are.

I'll type up some of the common meals we do that are reasonable sometime tonight for you.

We do MANY variants with boneless skinless chicken breasts.

On a side note, has your sister gotten assistance yet...or maybe a part-time job to help with the bills?

Sister is complaining about how much chicken we eat, but beef is more expensive here than it is in South Dakota...and she doesn't qualify for assistance because DH makes 6 figures (hold your horses, we are taxed to the hilt, and he takes home less on this income than he did on a 5 figure income) and they count all the income from every member living in the house so sister does not get assistance- she needs to get a job!

One thing I did when trying desperately to come up with menus was to post a piece of paper on the fridge or the family calendar for meal ideas. In your case I'd combine it with the threat that any days without suggestions will be filled in by you with what you want to eat.I'd also getting them involved with the budget. I use You Need a Budget and they suggest that you sit down with the major stakeholders and work it out between you. I usually do up the budget and then give it DH to approve it. I usually only pass along numbers that affect him (ie there is no point on him approving the mortgage payments or the phone bill). If they have to sit down with you to juggle the numbers they may have more respect for meals you serve. You want steak every night - then no cable, no internet (okay not no internet :) ) no beer and and the only one who drinks anything but water is your niece (she gets milk at meals). Too harsh - then may I suggest roast chicken, bean burritos and chili instead of steak? ZK (Thinking of going over this thread for recipes too!)

For meat, we bought half a cow this year. Before that I would buy it in 3 lb. packages on sale and then break it up until 1 lb. bags before freezing it.For spaghetti, I buy cans of tomato soup on sale - when there is a 50 cents per can sale and get tomato sauce and tomato paste at Sam's Club by the case.My spaghetti recipe is:1 lb. hamburger browned with garlic sauceThen 1 mix 1 can of tomato paste - 6 oz.
1 can tomato soup - 10 3/4 oz.
1 can tomato sauce - 15 oz.
1/2 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
1/2 Tbsp. Basil
1/2 Tbsp. Oregano
1/4 cup sugarHaving 3 adults in the family, I'd do:2 lbs. browned hamburgerThen 1 mix 2 cans of tomato paste - 6 oz.
2 cans tomato soup - 10 3/4 oz.
2 cans tomato sauce - 15 oz.
1 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
1 Tbsp. Basil
1 Tbsp. Oregano
1/2 cup sugarYou can usually buy a loaf of french bread cheaper than crescent rolls or other things and make garlic bread with it.We do pizza burgers other nights...Brown hamburger with garlic sauce, mix 1 jar Ragu pizza sauce (about $1) in per pound of hamburger. Mix in some mozzarella cheese. Place on 1/2 of English muffin and top with additional mozzarella. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese and crisp English muffin.Regular hamburgers on the grill...I usually make cans of corn or other vegetables to go with them...

Last edited:
Kitchen Diva said:
What are malfalda noodles? I thought I was in the know when it came to pasta, now I'm afraid I don't know nothin'!:D

The look like miniature lasagna noodles

janetupnorth said:
For meat, we bought half a cow this year. Before that I would buy it in 3 lb. packages on sale and then break it up until 1 lb. bags before freezing it.

For spaghetti, I buy cans of tomato soup on sale - when there is a 50 cents per can sale and get tomato sauce and tomato paste at Sam's Club by the case.

My spaghetti recipe is:

1 lb. hamburger browned with garlic sauce

Then 1 mix 1 can of tomato paste - 6 oz.
1 can tomato soup - 10 3/4 oz.
1 can tomato sauce - 15 oz.
1/2 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
1/2 Tbsp. Basil
1/2 Tbsp. Oregano
1/4 cup sugar

Having 3 adults in the family, I'd do:

2 lbs. browned hamburger

Then 1 mix 2 cans of tomato paste - 6 oz.
2 cans tomato soup - 10 3/4 oz.
2 cans tomato sauce - 15 oz.
1 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
1 Tbsp. Basil
1 Tbsp. Oregano
1/2 cup sugar

You can usually buy a loaf of french bread cheaper than crescent rolls or other things and make garlic bread with it.

We do pizza burgers other nights...

Brown hamburger with garlic sauce, mix 1 jar Ragu pizza sauce (about $1) in per pound of hamburger. Mix in some mozzarella cheese. Place on 1/2 of English muffin and top with additional mozzarella. Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 10 minutes to melt cheese and crisp English muffin.

Regular hamburgers on the grill...

I usually make cans of corn or other vegetables to go with them...

See, that's where you are lucky- you can use Ragu, or make your sauce from tomato soup. DH had a German mother and a full blooded Italian father, and she made her sauce from ketchup and tomato soup after DH's dad died, and so DH hates jarred sauces and hates sauce that is made from anything else other than cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatos.

The frustrating thing is that DH does the finances, so he knows how tight things are, and he just is completely oblivious to the fact that I'm doing the best I can. like I said earlier, most coupons are for things we don't eat. I don't do boxed meals, I do fresh food... I shop the outer perimeter of the supermarket- which means higher costs...(except for my pillsbury cinnamon rolls!)

We have a medium sized refridgerator, otherwise I could stock up on certain things when they are on sale, to use at a later time, but if I don't use the fresh produce I buy within a few days to a week- it's all rotten, and I end up tossing it. I could try to just buy that stuff the day or two before I need it for a meal- but then I'm running an additional errand that I don't need to run. I guess it's better than tossing food I never got to eat- so maybe I'll try that!

DH is anti-hotdish/casserole, my sister has an issue with properly cooked chicken- she blames her pregnancy with my niece as the reason why her chicken and pork have to be cooked until they are so dry that sand pops out of them... and if I undercook her steak (has to be MEDIUM-too much pink juice and she starts to get sick, and won't eat it, and it goes to the trash) so it's to the point where I am started to stress out over the doneness of my meat- and I've never had to do that before. Tonight her chicken breast was not dry enough- I mean cooked enough (it wasn't pink anywhere, but if it looks juicy, she translates that to undercooked and gets grossed out) I stuck her peice in the microwave for 3 minutes until it was so dry dust was popping out of the knife hole I poked into it to check for doneness... and her baked potato has to be wapped in foil so the skin isn't too crispy, and she has had bad luck with pork ribs, so she'll only eat beef ribs...yada-yada-yada.

Tonight I told her that we don't get ground beef for 1.50 a pound here like she does in SD, and if I make pork ribs, which we love- and she thinks they are too fatty (I've not had that problem) then I told her she could have a PB&J sandwich.

I'm more worried about making DH happy, since he's the breadwinner and it is important to me that he gets a good, substantial cooked meal. I can't do a meatless dinner- it just wouldn't go over well.

I've ranted long enough...I appreciate the recipe ideas, and the cookbook ideas. I need to find some slow-cooker recipes, too!

And since my sister doesn't qualify for assistance, and won't get a job because she doesn't want my niece in daycare- DH and I are going to sit her down this weekend and tell her- get a job, or move out by June 1st, because we have all but depleated our savings account to support you and the munchkin, and that money was supposed to be for a new living room window, new patio furniture, and a few other things we were saving up for. It's like she doesn't even care that she's costing this much money and has no desire to help us out...she thinks the help should come from other people so she doesn't have to do anything. She's already praying for a new husband and wants to be married by November of this year (she hasn't even filed for divorce yet)- so she can go from one "got it made" situation, to being supported by her new hubby. Unreal! DH keeps telling me that he's amazed we are related because I am sooo not like that.

Sister was rear ended the other day SO hard that the lady's license plate is IMPRINTED on my sister's bumper! Letters and numbers! VISABLE!!! Because sister wasn't hurt, and munchkin wasn't hurt, and air bags didn't employ- she only got the ladies name and number...NO insurance info. I was so ticked at her. She told me she prayed about it, and no one was hurt and the car was fine. I told her it didn't matter if there were no injuries or visible damage, you have to get the insurance info to report the accident to your insurance company and INCASE something happens to the car down the road. Well yesterday we had to go to the court house to get an order of protection and when she had to break from high speeds that car shimmied, and shook, and pulsated so bad I told her I was never driving with her again. I told her that her frame was probably bent in the crash, and she was foolish for not getting that ladies insurance info- You should see the way the steering wheel was moving when she had to break. She's just clueless- so now she's broke and has a car that's broke...

Thanks for letting me vent. It's been a tough week, with recovering from my back going out, and being jerked along by unemployment, and it's goin on 2 months of supporting sister and niece with no end in sight. We are telling her there is an end, and she had better start planning for it! wish us luck and say a prayer!

sorry this got so long!!:yuck:

Sounds to me that with your sisters' pickiness and her lack of employment, SHE should be the one cooking the meals in your household...

You go ahead and vent, Kacey! What are friends for, but to lend a sympathetic ear when you need it. And we understand that sometimes a vent is just a vent, not a request for solutions (although we love to solve problems, and you did ask for help at the beginning of the thread).

Kacey, sending some big hugs your way and a few extra prayers!!

Kitchen Diva said:
See, that's where you are lucky- you can use Ragu, or make your sauce from tomato soup. DH had a German mother and a full blooded Italian father, and she made her sauce from ketchup and tomato soup after DH's dad died, and so DH hates jarred sauces and hates sauce that is made from anything else other than cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatos.

No, not lucky, I'd be SHOT if I use Ragu or any jar sauce for spaghetti.

He only allows pizza sauce for pizza burgers.

Just modify my spaghetti with diced tomatoes (DH doesn't like the chunks so we don't use them).

Watch for coupons and stock up on can goods when on sale - they keep for awhile.

On the rest - talk to her - have DH talk to her. She needs to realize life DID smack her in the face and she needs to be a responsible adult. She needs to report that accident NOW!!!! Just because she didn't get insurance information doesn't mean she can't file the complaint and get it corrected. She probably sustained quite a bit of mechanical damage and with a bent frame she'll have things go out one after another - I had a vehicle that was hit and it was nothing but trouble because they couldn't fully straighten the frame.You and your husband have been more than generous to your sister and I hope it blesses you in the long run despite the troubles now.

I just wanted to add my hugs to those posted previously, like Ann said - what are friends for if not to lean on when you need help. And, I don't really have much advice to add to what has been said before, since I agree with all of it, so I just wanted to send you hugs and let you know I am thinking of you!

As we were walking around our house trying to clean up the "winter mess" - you know all the things you discover have blown in your yard during the winter and appear after the snow melts (we still have snow piles in our yard)! I passed my tomato plant area and thought of you again...You complained about stuff going bad in the fridge...why don't you start yourself a small herb garden this year...parsely, oregano, basil, chives, whatever you want. Once you get it going, you can have FRESH herbs without going to the store...Also, if you get some great tomato plants going, you can use some now and can some later in the year......just some additional thoughts.I'm going to take my tomato plants out of the ground this year and try hanging them upside down on the porch - heard it works great and there are some good websites on it...

Kacey, as I was reading your recent posts I had a few ideas... since your sis is so picky and adding so much to your greoery bill why dont you let her cook for herself and your niece? If she get's the assistance tell her to do her own grocery shopping. Give her her own cubbord and shelf in the fridge. Weekends and or 1 night a week could be a group meal. She should not be taking such advantage of you! She took care of herself and her DD before she should be doing it now.

another idea.... how far are you from the farmers market in minneapolis? You can get some great deals and when the produce starts to come in you can go every few days and just get what you will eat. We only have the farmers market once a week (may-oct) here but I love it for the savings and freshness, not to mention supporting the local farmers.

most importantly... I think you your sis and hubby need to sit down and really look at all this. Look at where you can cut and make a plan. This is not going to work if you all can't work together to keep life stable and happy for your niece. not everyone will get what they want but it should help cut the stress for all of you.

Last edited:
chefann said:
You go ahead and vent, Kacey! What are friends for, but to lend a sympathetic ear when you need it. And we understand that sometimes a vent is just a vent, not a request for solutions (although we love to solve problems, and you did ask for help at the beginning of the thread).

Well, I surely do appreciate that I can vent, and let it be just that...a vent session. I do also appreciate the help and advice. I do take it all to heart.

Sounds like my sister is going to try and get her husband kicked out of their home in SD, so she and my niece can move back there. It would be temporarily, but at least they do have a house there, and friends and a church that can help AND SD will provide her with every kind of assistance under the sun, and she has a former employer that will re-hire her if she ever wants her old job back- so on Monday, she is going to make some calls and see if that will be the best thing to do- otherwise I told her I didn't care if she wanted to do daycare or not- We can't affrord to support them and she must go and get a job. She agreed, so we'll see what happens! :) Thanks again for all the prayers and encouragement- you once again have helped me through a rough patch!:)

janetupnorth said:
As we were walking around our house trying to clean up the "winter mess" - you know all the things you discover have blown in your yard during the winter and appear after the snow melts (we still have snow piles in our yard)! I passed my tomato plant area and thought of you again...

You complained about stuff going bad in the fridge...why don't you start yourself a small herb garden this year...parsely, oregano, basil, chives, whatever you want. Once you get it going, you can have FRESH herbs without going to the store...

Also, if you get some great tomato plants going, you can use some now and can some later in the year...

...just some additional thoughts.

I'm going to take my tomato plants out of the ground this year and try hanging them upside down on the porch - heard it works great and there are some good websites on it...

we do that each summer, but DH is putting up a shed in my veggie garden, so all I have now is the perenial (sp?) garden left! We agreed to put the shed on the side of the house, and he changed his mind, so I just lost my garden. I need a drink- where's the vodka???;)

That's good news! Still focus on your "money-saving" ideas though...even if she heads back, you need to recover from all the help you've given her and that will take some work.

janetupnorth said:
That's good news! Still focus on your "money-saving" ideas though...even if she heads back, you need to recover from all the help you've given her and that will take some work.

Oh, I totally will! I really like that coupon website I found, and now that I'm back to making a menu for each pay period (2 weeks worth of meals) it will be easier to take advantage of the sales at the grocery stores, and use my coupons!

I'm just glad that my sister realized she had to get off her butt and start doing something! I was starting to get cranky if you couldn't tell! :angel:

Kitchen Diva said:
Oh, I totally will! I really like that coupon website I found, and now that I'm back to making a menu for each pay period (2 weeks worth of meals) it will be easier to take advantage of the sales at the grocery stores, and use my coupons!

I'm just glad that my sister realized she had to get off her butt and start doing something! I was starting to get cranky if you couldn't tell! :angel:

Naw, not a bit...didn't seem unusual at all... :rolleyes:

<h2>1. What are some affordable meal options from Pampered Chef?</h2><p>Some affordable meal options from Pampered Chef include one-pot meals, budget-friendly casseroles, and quick skillet dishes. You can also use pantry staples like rice, beans, and pasta to create budget-friendly meals.</p><h2>2. Can you share some non-Pampered Chef recipes that are hearty and budget-friendly?</h2><p>Absolutely! Some non-Pampered Chef recipes that are hearty and budget-friendly include chili, stir-fry, tacos, and soups. You can also check out budget-friendly recipe websites like Budget Bytes and The Kitchn for more ideas.</p><h2>3. How can I save money on groceries while still providing satisfying meals?</h2><p>One way to save money on groceries while still providing satisfying meals is to plan your meals in advance. Make a grocery list based on your meal plan and stick to it while shopping. Also, try to buy in bulk and use coupons to save money. Buying seasonal produce and purchasing store brand items can also help cut down on costs.</p><h2>4. What are some tips for cooking for picky eaters on a budget?</h2><p>When cooking for picky eaters on a budget, try to incorporate ingredients that everyone enjoys, such as chicken, pasta, or vegetables. You can also involve picky eaters in the meal planning process to ensure they will enjoy the dishes. Another tip is to try new recipes and flavors in small portions to see if they are well-received before making a larger batch.</p><h2>5. Can you recommend any resources for budget-friendly meal ideas?</h2><p>Aside from Pampered Chef cookbooks, there are many resources for budget-friendly meal ideas, such as Pinterest, food blogs, and recipe websites. You can also check out budget-friendly cookbooks from your local library or browse through cookbooks at thrift stores. Additionally, try asking friends and family for their favorite budget-friendly recipes.

1. What are some affordable meal options from Pampered Chef?

Some affordable meal options from Pampered Chef include one-pot meals, budget-friendly casseroles, and quick skillet dishes. You can also use pantry staples like rice, beans, and pasta to create budget-friendly meals.

2. Can you share some non-Pampered Chef recipes that are hearty and budget-friendly?

Absolutely! Some non-Pampered Chef recipes that are hearty and budget-friendly include chili, stir-fry, tacos, and soups. You can also check out budget-friendly recipe websites like Budget Bytes and The Kitchn for more ideas.

3. How can I save money on groceries while still providing satisfying meals?

One way to save money on groceries while still providing satisfying meals is to plan your meals in advance. Make a grocery list based on your meal plan and stick to it while shopping. Also, try to buy in bulk and use coupons to save money. Buying seasonal produce and purchasing store brand items can also help cut down on costs.

4. What are some tips for cooking for picky eaters on a budget?

When cooking for picky eaters on a budget, try to incorporate ingredients that everyone enjoys, such as chicken, pasta, or vegetables. You can also involve picky eaters in the meal planning process to ensure they will enjoy the dishes. Another tip is to try new recipes and flavors in small portions to see if they are well-received before making a larger batch.

5. Can you recommend any resources for budget-friendly meal ideas?

Aside from Pampered Chef cookbooks, there are many resources for budget-friendly meal ideas, such as Pinterest, food blogs, and recipe websites. You can also check out budget-friendly cookbooks from your local library or browse through cookbooks at thrift stores. Additionally, try asking friends and family for their favorite budget-friendly recipes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cmdtrgd
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef