• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New PC Consultant Struggling with Unreliable Director - Seeking Advice

In summary, the conversation revolved around a new consultant's experience with their director, "Sally." The consultant had a difficult time communicating with Sally, who often forgot or did not respond to their requests for assistance. This resulted in the consultant having to pay for shipping costs and not receiving the necessary items on time. The consultant also expressed frustration with not being able to get the help they needed from their director and considered contacting headquarters for a change in director.
JTNT8704
This is a bit long, but I want to make sure I get it all out so that I can get accurate opinions... Thanks for reading and TIA for you help!

So, I am quite new to the PC family- I started in June. I wasnt recruited, I basically went to the PC.com site and knew I wanted to be a consultant, and then I got assigned to a director. Lets call her Sally. So I filled out the form, and Sally called me a week later. By this time I had already had my 4 show dates booked and had put in all my information to receive my kit. She gave me her contact info and told me her preferred method of contact was Email. So my first show was in NY (Im in MO)-- I travel to NY about once every 2 months to visit family. I had anticipated having my kit in time to bring with me, but since she didnt submit it when she said she was going to, I left MO for NY without my kit. So I Emailed her telling her what happened, and that I still wanted to have the show- so I asked her if I could buy some of her cash and carry items and have her ship to me. (The show was a week away, plenty of time I thought). Well, she agreed and said she would send a trifle bowl with some recipes and a couple tools I would need to make the PB cup trifle. Great I thought-- So I waited. 2 days before the show I still hadnt gotten anything, so I called her. She said she forgot all about it (seriously???) and she would overnight it right away. Which she did do. I received the package and had my show. When I got back to MO, she had sent me a bill in the mail for the cost of the items PLUS the $56.00 shipping charge. I was blown away- as I only had to have these items overnighted because she forgot twice to do what she said she would do. But, I am new, and I wanted to succeed at my business, so I just wrote the check and moved on.

I Emailed her again a few days later (because I read on here that people have cluster meetings...) and asked her if a group ever got together to meet. Her response was, "No one ever comes, so I gave up on organizing those". Ok I thought-- again, what do I know, shes a director- Im a less then 30 day consultant. So once I got back to MO I had a really rough time making connections for parties, and I Emailed her to ask about leads or whatever, or just coaching for that matter. No response. That went on for a couple weeks, and finally I called her cell phone (which she said is for last resorts only) and she told me she would have a list of names and numbers for me that she got at a fair not too long ago and doesnt have the time to follow up on. That was a month ago, I still havent gotten that, and I have Emailed asking for it many times with no response.

She sent an Email to our group about 10 days ago about (finally) having a meeting to talk about conference highlights- and that once she was settled back at home she would contact us all with a date for that. Never heard again.

So what do I do? It is always dead end after dead end with her, and Its frustrating as a new consultant to not be able to get the help from your director that you need. I have thought about contacting HO and asking for a change in director, but didnt know if this was possible.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Please understand that this is not normal. I think she should absorb the cost of shipping since her forgetfulness/laziness has caused the problem with you not receiving items on a timely basis and that way why it was overnighted. The is just not fair. I don't know if there is a way to get hospitality director or a change of director but I would let HO know that are you are not happy and I would also let 'Sally' know how you feel too.

So sorry to hear you are having so much trouble communicating with your director. Do you know your upline director's name? You could try connecting with her. If not, call HO and talk to them about it.

I agree - this is not a normal situation. Most successful PC Directors are successful because they take the time to take care of their team's needs, whether that's weekly phone calls, getting information, or responding to communication in a timely manner.

You sound like you're ready and willing to be a success. She doesn't deserve a great consultant like you! (Well, at least from hearing your side of the story anyway.)

I do remember reading about a situation in which a consultant can switch upline, but it was very specific, and I don't remember what it was. Barring that, your other option is to work your tushie off and promote to Director yourself so you don't have to deal with Sally any more. :)

I think that should be an option. Switching uplines. It's unfair to end up really helping someone (they make money from you) that isn't willing to help you. I have a WONDERFUL director that is always there for me even though she's over 3 hours away. She does monthly meetings for us in our area since there are 6 or so around here that come.I would contact HO regarding it. After all, if this is not isolated (and we all have things happen that make us appear irresponsible and rude to the outside world) then she probably isn't servicing the other consultants she has. Do you have their names/emails? I would contact THEM directly and see if they are interested in meeting with or without her. You don't NEED a great director (you have CS!) but it is nice to meet with your cluster.

Contact HO with the specifics of what went on and how you handled it. It seems to me that she got a gem of a consultant and doesn't open her eyes enough to know it. As for changing directors, that is tricky. It should be a very difficult process because I know some people would like to change so they could be under a successful upper level director. That isn't fair to us normal directors who are trying to get to the upper level status!!! Anyhoo, she should have originally called you within 24 hours of you going to the PC website. Call and talk with someone in Career Solutions (choice 3) and see what they can do. If you do want and can change directors, I know a lot of us here would be thrilled to have you in our downline - me included!!!

Me-me-me! Just kidding! I'm not a director, but I'd still love to have you under me.

Please call HO and explain everything to them. If they won't switch your upline (which I doubt) they should at least assign you hospitality because this director won't help train you.

Be sure to detail EVERYTHING that has happened with HO and don't leave anything out.

Good luck! ...and you have a great "virtual" cluster too, but it would be nice for you to have a local cheerleader!

Jules711 said:
It's unfair to end up really helping someone (they make money from you) that isn't willing to help you.
This is the reason I'm waiting out 6 more months and going inactive permanently and then re-signing again under another director (even though she'll be in a different state than me).I agree with everyone else - call HO and talk to someone. If nothing else, it will alert them to possible poor service she is providing to PC customers. I doubt they'd be happy to hear about that!

Another option is to find out who your upline director is, it's on your commission check, and contact her and let her know what happened. If this director is doing this, trust me... it's not news to her director. My director has been a little flaky due to dozens of personal reasons. I had thought she was going inactive and possibly resigning but realized after conference (which she didn't attend) she has no intention of leaving. In any case, I have been in contact with my upline (my director's director) and she is coaching me weekly. It's been awesome and my business is growing as we speak (write... anyway). If your upline isn't helpful, go to HO. They won't be able to change your director but can offer you some suggestions and it's important for them to know that she most certainly is not doing what she agreed to do when she signed her director agreement. Good luck -- remember you have us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

It is a shame that some directors don't take their agreement seriously. We agree to help those on our team and it is to our benefit to do so.

People naturally have differences now and then and I am sure that's why we can't change directors once we sign. Could you imagine the mess if they allowed us to move about whenever? The sad thing is that some potentially great consultants are lost along the way because they didn't have the support that would have helped or because they were that upset about their upline that they said "the heck with it".

I doubt HO will let you switch teams but who knows. You are a home office lead and if you have documentation of how little she was around and how she acted about those products at the beginning (Why did she send in your agreement? You could/should have done that.) they just may consider doing something for you.

The only time they usually allow someone to change directors is if someone immediately asks to move to someone else for a very good reason and all 3 request it (old dir, new dir and consultant).

~ you can ask any one of here for help!! And PC gives you all the information on line and in your business guide. You are not alone! Good luck to you!

I don't have any extra advice to add...I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry that you aren't getting the support that you deserve! Hopefully, either your Director can get her act together, or you can find a really great hospitality director so you can attend meetings and get support from other consultants on that team!

WowWOW :eek:

Ok I have gotten over the shock of just how horrible this director has treated you!! No wait.....:eek:

Ok now I think I am really over it. I can't believe she would charge you for the overnight shipping when she forgot to send it to you. Talk about being clueless about being a leader, not to mention irresponsible, not dependable and lazy.

I suggest you quickly look for a hospitality director, you don't necessarily have to switch to another director because I heard that is practically impossible, but you can find another director in your area, either through this website or by word of mouth, who will be a great support and encouragement to you. Someone who will help your business, not complicate it. I hope you find someone soon.

When she told you that email is the best way to reach her and she still does not answer or respond, there is a huge lack of communication on her part and she is really dropping the ball with her responsibilities.

RUN....RUN to another director while you still can. Don't let her wrong you anymore!!

Debbie :D

So.....what happened???

BethCooks4U said:
I doubt HO will let you switch teams but who knows. You are a home office lead and if you have documentation of how little she was around and how she acted about those products at the beginning (Why did she send in your agreement? You could/should have done that.) they just may consider doing something for you.

I realize I'm coming into this discussion a few days late :eek: but, as I read this, my thought is if she prefers to communicate via email and you hopefully saved them....I'd put that altogether and submit to HO (especially the part about how she forgot to send the stuff then charged you $56!!!!) Since you were a lead and had no connection to her to begin with....it just might work.

Like Beth, I also wondered why she submitted your agreement. From a legal standpoint, you were supposed to submit it since it's a contract between you and HO.

It's very frustrating for those of us that are working our business and training our new consultants to hear stories like yours. Most everyone on CS would LOVE to have a go-getter like you on our team :) Hang in there!!

Hey everyone, Sorry I havent followed up on this. I have a sick/teething/not-sleeping baby...

I decided after reading everything you all wrote, that since this is not normal- I would just press on and use the help, support and advice I get here instead. I have learned way more and gotten much needed support here- and have been successful. So Im going to kleave well enough alone I suppose.

As for the agreement- i dont know why she did that. I thought it strange myself that she wanted to submit it herself. I had to give her my CC info and everything...

Im not confrontational- so I think I will just see how the next couple months go

Hey,
You should still try to contact your upline director. Her/his name is on your commission statement. Get it touch with him/her so that you can be put on their email list. 'Cause you're not going to get much from "Sally"! Best of luck!

Home office definitely won't let you switch uplines...but at the rate 'Sally' is going she won't be director long...and believe me...it is worth the wait!
My director rarely contacted me...I felt very alone...at first...had no clue what I was doing.
She eventually lost her directorship...she wasn't helping any of her girls! And now my director is extremely helpful!...which I'm sure has a LOT to do with why she is a SED!!!
So hang in there...contact your upline if you can...and check in often with CS !! This place is awesome...especially for us 'cluster-less' people!!

And I agree...Home Office my not be able to do anything...but they should hear about it!

1. How can I handle a director who is not reliable?

As a new PC consultant, it can be frustrating to work with an unreliable director. The best way to handle this situation is to have open and honest communication with your director. Express your concerns and ask for specific actions that you need from them to be successful. If the issue persists, reach out to your upline or the company's support team for further guidance.

2. What should I do if my director is not providing enough support?

If you feel like you are not receiving enough support from your director, don't hesitate to reach out to other consultants in your team or seek support from the company's resources. Attend training sessions and events to learn from other successful consultants and build a network for additional support. You can also reach out to your upline or the company's support team for guidance and mentorship.

3. How can I motivate myself when my director is not pushing me?

It can be demotivating to work with an unreliable director who is not pushing you to reach your goals. In this situation, it's important to set your own goals and stay committed to them. Surround yourself with positive and motivated consultants, attend training events, and take advantage of the company's resources to stay motivated. Remember, your success ultimately depends on your own efforts and not solely on your director's actions.

4. What should I do if my director is not keeping promises?

If your director is not keeping promises, it's important to address this issue with them directly. Express your concerns and ask for clear communication moving forward. It's also helpful to have a written agreement or contract outlining the promises and expectations between you and your director. If the issue continues, reach out to your upline or the company's support team for further assistance.

5. How can I build a successful business despite having an unreliable director?

While having a reliable director can be beneficial, it's not the only factor that determines your success as a PC consultant. Focus on building your own skills, networking with other consultants, and providing quality service to your customers. Utilize the company's resources and attend training events to learn from other successful consultants. Remember, your success ultimately depends on your own efforts and determination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • almondfarm
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • ChefBeckyD