• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Savings: Navigating Airline Baggage Fees for Your Upcoming Trip

In summary, the conversation involves discussion about packing for a conference and the possibility of baggage fees for the airline they will be flying with. They also mention options for shipping items back home, including using FedEx or the McCormick Center. It is suggested to leave space in one's suitcase for freebies and to consider sharing essentials with others in their group. The conversation also mentions a possible solution for avoiding baggage fees with Delta by being a SkyMiles Credit Cardmember, but some are not eligible for this. Additional suggestions are given for using Southwest airlines to avoid baggage fees. There is also a question about how many bags to check in and carry on for the flight.
Careyann
Gold Member
I haven't booked a flight yet but I have paid for registration, baby steps to commit, not sure about hotel yet so I don't want to commit until I know where I am staying!
Anyway, the airline I would fly charges baggage fees. Being it's just me, I would probably bring 1 suitcase with my stuff, they say as an attendee you may get like $100 worth of stuff while there, never been before so how does it work when you get things? Do you bring a large suitcase and just make sure there is room for what you need to bring home? (this is obviously not a bad problem to have!;))

The quantity of stuff depends on how much you buy in addition to the freebies. I found that it's the stuff from Merrill and the surprise boxes (which may not be available this year) that take up the most room.

In the past, FedEx has had a booth at NC so that if you have stuff that doesn't fit into your suitcase, you can ship it home using your Consultant Number, and it is paid through a commission adjustment.

I did hear on the radio this morning that Delta is doing something with SkyMiles cardholders about waiving fees, but I don't know if that's the airline you're flying, or if that's for all cardholders or just a specific card.

It depends on what they give you. Typically, in years past, you have been able to buy new recipe cards and mini's etc on site. As well if you buy anything from Merrill, when they had surprise packs, you could stuff your materials in one box and have Fed Ex ship it all home saving you fees if your bag was overweight, etc. This year, since they are saying surprise boxes aren't going to be there (which I don't know whether to totally believe that because how can someone know for certain?) we don't know if Fed Ex will be there or not. I"m sure they will be, but since they are doing things so much differently this year, it will all be a waiting game.

If you can, I would leave space in your suitcase for your freebies and any minis, etc, you might want to buy. It's summer so your clothes should pack lightly (consider wearing mix and match - same pants two days, things like that) so a rolling carryon should be enough for most people. Talk to your team and see about each of you bringing one of the essentials (curling iron, larger hair dryer...) so you can share in the room.

In the past we have always gotten a tote at conference and for the most part everything you get would fit in that - to give you an example of the space you'd need. I'd use the tote as a carry on with things that might be more fragile and that you'd want to look over on the flight home (notes from workshops, catalog, etc).

We usually drive so I don't have this problem but the last year they did Leadership I was able to go. I basically took a carry on bag but made sure that I had enough room for some extras. On the way back I used the reusable shopping bag as my second "purse" so that I could carry some of the extras home.

Wasn't there a separate shipping place in the McCormick Center? It was either around the corner from the main auditorium or down by the bus terminal (I can't remember which). Anyway...if PC didn't have shipping outlets there, you might be able to use that?? (McCormick Center website might have information on what the facility has. Big thing though is not knowing WHICH area they are going to be within the center...since they are doing more consultants at one time and we're all in one general session. )

I do have to fly Delta but I am not a skyMiles Credit card holder - bummer!!!

Careyann said:
I do have to fly Delta but I am not a skyMiles Credit card holder - bummer!!!

From what I can tell, you don't have to buy the ticket with the card to qualify, so if you're not opposed to it, you could apply for the card just to show it at check-in. ;)

Check out Southwest's website...their tickets were cheaper than any other site and you are allowed 2 bags and NO baggage fees!!!!! Cant beat that!!!:sing::sing:

How many of you check in a bag and carry on one or do you only take carry-on's?

smart2cook said:
How many of you check in a bag and carry on one or do you only take carry-on's?

We're flying Southwest, so I'll check my bag, and probably have a small carry-on. Last year I had two duffle bags (so I could put all my freebies and purchases in one!), but haven't really thought about what I'll do this year.

millthayer said:
Check out Southwest's website...their tickets were cheaper than any other site and you are allowed 2 bags and NO baggage fees!!!!! Cant beat that!!!:sing::sing:

Oh, how I wish Southwest flew to Atlanta...

NooraK said:
Oh, how I wish Southwest flew to Atlanta...

I know it, we don't have Southwest here either! We drove all the way to Denver when we went to Disneyworld last year just to go on Southwest, SOOO much cheaper then the airlines out of here!

4 of us are driving to Philadelphia in order to fly Southwest. They did have the best price even before the free luggage part.

What are the current baggage fees for domestic flights?

The current baggage fees for domestic flights vary depending on the airline. However, most major U.S. carriers charge between $25-$35 for the first checked bag and an additional $35-$45 for the second checked bag.

Are there any ways to avoid paying baggage fees?

Yes, there are a few ways to avoid baggage fees. Some airlines offer free checked bags to their loyalty program members or credit card holders. You can also try to pack light and only bring a carry-on bag or choose an airline that offers free checked bags.

How much do airlines charge for overweight or oversized bags?

The fees for overweight or oversized bags also vary by airline. Typically, you can expect to pay an additional $75-$150 per bag if it exceeds the weight or size limit set by the airline. It's important to check with your specific airline for their exact fees.

Do airlines charge for carry-on bags?

Some airlines do charge for carry-on bags, while others include it in the cost of your ticket. It's best to check with your airline beforehand to see if there are any fees for bringing a carry-on bag.

Are there any items that are exempt from baggage fees?

Generally, personal items such as a purse, laptop bag, or small backpack are exempt from baggage fees. However, each airline may have their own specific guidelines, so it's important to check with your airline before traveling.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefpenny99
Replies
Views
Melissa78
Replies
Views
chefmelody
  • Oracle
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing