• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling as a Young Teacher: My Experience with a Challenging 3rd Grade Class

In summary, Amanda is a new teacher who is feeling overwhelmed by her class. She has contemplated quitting because she is not able to help all of her students. She talks about how her customers have been flexible and she is grateful for that. She talks about how she has been able to focus on her weaker students and how she is looking forward to conference.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
Some of you know that in mid March I took over a 3rd grade class to the end of the year and it has not been easy. I have 13 boys (a lot of emotions, quick to anger), and 5 girls. So the dynamics of this class is already hard.

Well w/ me being a young teacher (still green) I want to help everyone succeed in one way or another. Well I finally had to realize that I can't help everyone, and to bless and release. Personally still knowing I can't do anything I feel like I failed, but I know this parent does not want me to teach their son. They don't want their son punished because it's never his fault or it's petty. So I am pretty much a baby sitter and that's not what I went to school for.

Yesterday this student said he was sick (4th time in 3 weeks), and I don't usually let him go to the office because I know he's faking it. However yesterday I told him to go and take his stuff because I knew mommy would come and get him and I wanted to focus my time and energy on the students who wanted to do our project. I felt bad at first, then I thought why should I can't teach this student.

I don't know why it took me so long w/ fellow teacher friends saying just let him be don't pay attention to him, that's what he wants. I guess I am too stubborn, thinking I could have made a difference. According to his mom from what she is telling other teachers and parents is that this is the worst experience he has ever had. I wanted to yell her and say what do you think you have done to me?

Now if you have made it this far, thank you! Now my PC biz has taken a huge hit. I have been doing 1 show a month since April (thank God they were 1k+ each), but I have not been motivated to get on the phone consistently. I want to crash when I get home. I am so drained that I have been going to bed before 9PM (which is not like me, I am a night owl).

I have contemplated quiting, but it was not worth it to loose my customers for a year, So now I need to get off my duff and become director. I have been lucky enough to not go to my dir's meetings for the last 2 months (had other stuff scheduled at that time). I have also gone to Ida's meetings, she has been a huge help. Conference is going to be weird, but I know it will be the boost that I need.

Sorry it's so long I had to get it off my chest. I feel a little better. TIA if you made it this far.

We are always here to listen. Vent away!!

Off to start a bright shiny new day Amanda!!
No worries, stay at Ida's meetings if you are happier and don't sweat conference. EVERYONE"S NICE at conference ;)

That's what so cool about our businesses... they are FLEXIBLE and can be picked up and run with when you can run!

Do you realize that it is illegal for a child to interfere with the learning of other children in the classroom? Same with parents? So, as much as you hate the fact you can't "help" him, you actually are following the law. You might even be doing him a favor by telling him exactly how you feel (gently) and that you are tired of pandering to him and will work with him when he is ready.

Geez, thank goodness the school year is almost over...move on.

cmdtrgd said:
Do you realize that it is illegal for a child to interfere with the learning of other children in the classroom? Same with parents? So, as much as you hate the fact you can't "help" him, you actually are following the law. You might even be doing him a favor by telling him exactly how you feel (gently) and that you are tired of pandering to him and will work with him when he is ready.
God I wish I had known THIS earlier! There are 4 "troubled" kids in my daughters class that take so much time & attention from the teacher that the other 17 kids can't learn! I am praying that DD gets a really good teacher for 3rd grade since her 2nd grade teacher was too busy being a disciplinarian than a teacher!

Amanda....as a teacher, I am betting "bless & release" works there too!

Ginny, I am trying to see if we have met before. I am in Barb's line as well. You might know who my dir is???? I have met so many of Barb's people it's sometimes hard to keep track.

I was wondering how things were going with this situation. I'm happy that your shows have at least been large volume and sorry that you've just lost your desire to do much once you get home.

I used to teach and got out of it for a similar reason as you- except my class was full of parents like the mother of the boy with the health issues...

I will keep you in my prayers and I'm glad that you at least came to the conclusion that you can't help every child, especially when there is a chance that his parents have let him know of their frustrations with you- which just makes him think his situation is the worst ever, because of how his parents are handling it!

Hang in there! :)

Oh thank you guys, I do feel better. Now is the crunch time to get report cards done, and teacher placements for next year (first round). I guess this has been really hard for me because I always hated when teachers just left students out in the left field. The teacher I actually took over for told me last year when I subbed for her I only teach to the left side of the room. The other's can't behave and follow directions so I don't waste my time. I was floored when she said it, but now I see where she was coming from. She is a strong teacher and gets a lot of requests from parents w/ kids that have issues in some way. So now that she was forced to retire, I got the cream of the crop. Now that the school drama is ending, I can focus on PC and have a kick A$& fall! I need to earn trip after this. Thanks again for being here, you guys all rock!! I am truly inspired by you guys and sometimes I forget to say Thanks! So Thank You! I hope everyone is haveing a Beautiful Day! Weather is great here!

pamperedalf said:
Oh thank you guys, I do feel better. Now is the crunch time to get report cards done, and teacher placements for next year (first round).

I guess this has been really hard for me because I always hated when teachers just left students out in the left field. The teacher I actually took over for told me last year when I subbed for her I only teach to the left side of the room. The other's can't behave and follow directions so I don't waste my time. I was floored when she said it, but now I see where she was coming from. She is a strong teacher and gets a lot of requests from parents w/ kids that have issues in some way. So now that she was forced to retire, I got the cream of the crop.

Now that the school drama is ending, I can focus on PC and have a kick A$& fall! I need to earn trip after this.

Thanks again for being here, you guys all rock!! I am truly inspired by you guys and sometimes I forget to say Thanks! So Thank You! I hope everyone is haveing a Beautiful Day! Weather is great here!

I'm glad we could help. Please feel free to come to us anytime! And I am sorry you even had to go through this! God must think you are mighty special and will do something great for kids- so He placed you with the difficult ones!

Isn't it only 5 more hectic and crazy days for you.. and then it's over? My class the year before last year was absolute hell. This past school year was SO MUCH better! Just take a deep breath, remember that each hour that passes is one hour closer to all of you moving on. Hopefully next year will be WONDERFUL for you and you'll remember why you wanted "to be a teacher when you grew up". We all need years that remind us of that every now and then! 5 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

straitfan said:
Isn't it only 5 more hectic and crazy days for you.. and then it's over? My class the year before last year was absolute hell. This past school year was SO MUCH better! Just take a deep breath, remember that each hour that passes is one hour closer to all of you moving on. Hopefully next year will be WONDERFUL for you and you'll remember why you wanted "to be a teacher when you grew up". We all need years that remind us of that every now and then!

5 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My day is over, only 4 hectic & crazy days!!!!:yuck:

Kasey, you need to change your avatar to Lucy with her pshycologist sign!!! 5 cent advise given here!

chefmeg said:
Kasey, you need to change your avatar to Lucy with her pshycologist sign!!! 5 cent advise given here!

I have a candy dish like that at work!

(Actually it was meant to be a planter, but I thought it was more appropriate for my use.)

I fill it with Dark Chocolate and people know when they have a REALLY tough day, they can come get some "psychiatric help".

Wahoo! :) :)

1. How did you handle the challenging behavior of your 3rd grade class?

As a young teacher, I found that the best way to handle challenging behavior was to establish clear expectations and consequences from the beginning. I also made sure to build positive relationships with my students and implement strategies such as positive reinforcement and behavior charts to encourage good behavior.

2. What did you do to keep your students engaged and motivated in class?

To keep my students engaged and motivated, I incorporated a variety of hands-on and interactive activities into my lesson plans. I also tried to make learning fun by incorporating games, group work, and creative projects. Additionally, I made sure to provide positive feedback and celebrate each student's individual progress.

3. How did you handle the workload and stress as a young teacher?

Managing the workload and stress as a young teacher can be challenging, but I found it helpful to prioritize tasks and seek support from colleagues and mentors. I also made sure to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

4. What strategies did you use to help struggling students in your class?

I used a variety of strategies to help struggling students, such as differentiated instruction, small group work, and one-on-one support. I also communicated regularly with parents to discuss their child's progress and work together to find solutions.

5. How did you maintain a positive attitude and stay motivated during difficult times?

Maintaining a positive attitude and staying motivated during difficult times was crucial for me as a young teacher. I found it helpful to remind myself of why I became a teacher and focus on the progress and growth of my students. I also leaned on my support system and sought out professional development opportunities to continue learning and improving my teaching skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• vanscootin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies