• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians the Worst Christmas Movie Ever?

In summary, the conversation covers different opinions on Christmas movies, including the enjoyment of bad Christmas movies and the discussion of what constitutes a Christmas movie. Some favorites mentioned include A Christmas Story, Die Hard, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated version), and various Christmas variety shows. There is also mention of some disliked Christmas movies, such as the Jim Carrey version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
raebates
Staff member
I enjoy watching even bad Christmas movies. I'm currently watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. It's been included in several lists as one of the worst movies ever. Green martians. Freeze rays. Boxy robot. Food pills. Bad acting. This one has it all. I must admit that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. When they announced the title I hit record on the VCR. The Furry Guy will love it. We've talked some about Christmas movies we love. What ones do you consider really bad? For years The Furry Guy hated A Christmas Story. We couldn't watch it if he was in the house. He's begun to tolerate it, though.

DH hates any Christmas movie. He won't be quiet when there's one on TV - just keeps saying "barf" and groaning through the whole thing. (He does the same thing with feel-good programs like Secret Millionaire, too.) The two movies I can think of that he'll tolerate that can maybe be considered Christmas movies (just because they're set at Christmas) are Die Hard and Die Harder. :rolleyes:

We watch both of the Santa Clause movies a lot. Mainly b/c Luke now likes them. Russell will watch a movie OVER and OVER but I only watch certains one over. And I do really care for the Christmas movies that much myself - not the classics anyway. And does Mickey Mouse's Once/Twice Upon a Christmas count?

The Furry Guy's uncle considers Die Hard the best Christmas movie ever. I love to tell people we're watching the uncle's favorite Christmas movie. Their expressions when they hear the title are usually great.

Anything counts, Jennifer.

chefann said:
DH hates any Christmas movie. He won't be quiet when there's one on TV - just keeps saying "barf" and groaning through the whole thing. (He does the same thing with feel-good programs like Secret Millionaire, too.) The two movies I can think of that he'll tolerate that can maybe be considered Christmas movies (just because they're set at Christmas) are Die Hard and Die Harder. :rolleyes:

Slight hijack here -- My DH also considers these (Die Hard and Harder) the BEST Christmas movies ever made. I have to admit that after seeing each one 3 or 4 times, he does have a point. They are good action Christmas flicks! (There's an oxymoron for you.) There's even some feel good mushy stuff at the end and smirky Bruce Willis kicks a$$.​

I've had a thing for Bruce Willis for years. I'd watch him in just about anything. Heck, I have watched him in just about anything. LOL!

You might want to know that I did a search for "Best Christmas movies" and Die Hard was number 16 on the Top 25 list, also GREMLINS, I think that was number 21!

A Christmas Story was voted number 1.

I totally remember Santa Claus Conquers the Martian. Pia Zadora is in it as one of the little kids. I found it last year in the $1 bin at Target and had to buy it.

The name caught my eye in the opening credits. I wouldn't have recognized her, though. Wow, 1964 was a long time ago. LOL!

Well, Dennis The Menace Christmas Movie was on the other night, so we thought it would be a fun family movie. NONE of us liked it - not even the 4 yr old! We finally watched a DVD of the cartoon How The Grinch Stole Christmas.. MUCH better!

I LOVE Christmas Movies - and cartoons, and the old Christmas Variety shows - Like Andy Williams Christmas, Osmonds Family Christmas, etc....

I have to admit that the Jim Carey version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas makes my list of the worst ever. The original animated version is one of my favorites, though.Never seen the Dennis the Menace one, but I can't imagine it's all that good.

raebates said:
I have to admit that the Jim Carey version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas makes my list of the worst ever. The original animated version is one of my favorites, though.

That's on the schedule to watch tonight!:D

You poor thing.

raebates said:
You poor thing.

No, really - I like the Jim Carrey version. That movie is so over the top - I don't really identify it with the original version. Nothing can compare to the original version.

I know there are people (obviously, including you) who really like it. I could barely sit through the whole thing. It's interesting what speaks to different people.

raebates said:
I know there are people (obviously, including you) who really like it. I could barely sit through the whole thing. It's interesting what speaks to different people.
But Rae - you said you enjoy even bad Christmas movies! You can sit through the Christmas Martian movie, but not Jim Carrey as Grinch? That cracks me up!:D:D:D

raebates said:

I CANNOT STAND the Jim Carrey version...I was racking my brain trying to find a Christmas movie I didn't like (hence, the search on the top 25) and I forgot about that one, probably because I blocked it out of my memory.
Why they touched that Dr Seuss story I will never know but I LOVE the original, I have it memorized!

Just the other day I asked my son if he had seen "Elf". He immediately said --

"Buddy the elf, what's your favorite color?"

umm....that's a "yes"? Oh, yeah, he's 27.

Ohhhh, I like Elf too!

A Christmas Story is my all time favorite, followed by Donovan's Reef. (John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Jack Warden, Dorothy Lamour, Cesar Romero and Elizabeth Allen. Pax?)A Christmas Story isn't really one story, it's several rolled into one. Jean Shepherd is one of my all time favorite writers, in fact, he did the voice over for the movie, reading his own lines. The technique is the same one he used in several PBS specials, like, The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski and The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters.All of them came from one book, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. It's listed as a novel, but it isn't. It's a collection of short stories, short stories were Shepherd's trademark. Each short story revolves around growing up in fictional Homan, Indiana, which is thought to be a composite of Hobart, Gary and several other northwest Indiana towns. Each story is tied together as Ralph reminisces with Flick, who now owns a neighborhood bar.A Christmas Story is composed of several of those stories, including the Red Ryder BB Rifle, Wilbur Duckworth (the drum major who shorted out the streetcar catenary and blacked out the city by tossing his baton into the air and across the wires) the major award, the triple dog dare, the Oldsmobile, the great furnace fighter...they were all short stories that are included in the book.The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters is also from that same book, from stories like Ludlow Kissel and the Dago Bomb that Struck Back and the blind date. The blind date story is my all time favorite Jean Shepherd story and is a primary example of Shepherd's command of the English language and his ability to turn a phrase.He was a brilliant humorist, an excellent observer of human nature and behavior, and a captivating writer.

A Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland and they do tours of the actual house the movie was shot. Sometimes the stars from the movie come out and do appearances as well.

The end of the film where they are seeing Santa was filmed at a Higbees in downtown Cleveland and one of my old coworkers was an extra in the movie. She played one of the elves. She worked at Higbees at the time and they asked for volunteers. She has all kinds of memorobilia from it...so neat!

I don't know if they are doing this production country wide, but A Christmas Story is also a musical at our downtown Clevleland Playhouse this month.

Jack Frost with Michael Keaton, where Jack (the father) dies, and comes back as a snowman. Completely stupid movie, have to force myself to watch it to the end - just so I can cry when he says good-bye.

If you think the Jim Carey version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas is bad, did you see The Cat In The Hat? Omigosh, absolutely no redeeming qualities!!

A small aside - the theme for our church's float in this year's Christmas Parade was "Don't let the Grinch steal Christ out of Christmas." So cute seeing all my friends dressed up as Whos!

pampchefsarah said:
Jack Frost with Michael Keaton, where Jack (the father) dies, and comes back as a snowman. Completely stupid movie, have to force myself to watch it to the end - just so I can cry when he says good-bye.

If you think the Jim Carey version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas is bad, did you see The Cat In The Hat? Omigosh, absolutely no redeeming qualities!!

A small aside - the theme for our church's float in this year's Christmas Parade was "Don't let the Grinch steal Christ out of Christmas." So cute seeing all my friends dressed up as Whos!

I have never seen jack frost, although I know it's on all the time, simply because it looks THAT STUPID.

I totally forgot about the Cat in the Hat! Yes, that was a total waste!

ChefBeckyD said:
But Rae - you said you enjoy even bad Christmas movies! You can sit through the Christmas Martian movie, but not Jim Carrey as Grinch? That cracks me up!:D:D:D
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is so bad it's kitschy good. Kinda like watching those old Jason and the Argonauts, grade B horror movies, or spaghetti westerns. Jim Carey's Grinch was just bad. Like Huey Lewis says, sometimes bad is bad. LOL!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
A Christmas Story is my all time favorite, followed by Donovan's Reef. (John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Jack Warden, Dorothy Lamour, Cesar Romero and Elizabeth Allen. Pax?)

A Christmas Story isn't really one story, it's several rolled into one. Jean Shepherd is one of my all time favorite writers, in fact, he did the voice over for the movie, reading his own lines. The technique is the same one he used in several PBS specials, like, The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski and The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters.

All of them came from one book, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. It's listed as a novel, but it isn't. It's a collection of short stories, short stories were Shepherd's trademark. Each short story revolves around growing up in fictional Homan, Indiana, which is thought to be a composite of Hobart, Gary and several other northwest Indiana towns. Each story is tied together as Ralph reminisces with Flick, who now owns a neighborhood bar.

A Christmas Story is composed of several of those stories, including the Red Ryder BB Rifle, Wilbur Duckworth (the drum major who shorted out the streetcar catenary and blacked out the city by tossing his baton into the air and across the wires) the major award, the triple dog dare, the Oldsmobile, the great furnace fighter...they were all short stories that are included in the book.

The Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters is also from that same book, from stories like Ludlow Kissel and the Dago Bomb that Struck Back and the blind date. The blind date story is my all time favorite Jean Shepherd story and is a primary example of Shepherd's command of the English language and his ability to turn a phrase.

He was a brilliant humorist, an excellent observer of human nature and behavior, and a captivating writer.

You can also see Jean Shepherd in A Christmas Movie. He's the guy who says, "Hey, kid, the line ends here. It starts there."

Tonight is The Polar Express in 3-D!

It's family movie night at our house. We have the DVD, and it came with 3-D glasses. So - we are having Tacos for dinner, and then it's movie time!

I can't stand It's a Wonderful Life, I also don't care for A Christmas Story

My favorite all time is the original Miracle on 34th Street followed close by National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!!
Does anyone else feel like they aren't playing many Christmas movies this year? Or am I just not looking on the right channels? I love most of the old cartoon movies and would love for my kids to watch them with me.

chefshawna said:

My favorite all time is the original Miracle on 34th Street followed close by National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!!
Does anyone else feel like they aren't playing many Christmas movies this year? Or am I just not looking on the right channels? I love most of the old cartoon movies and would love for my kids to watch them with me.

Hmm, we were just commenting that there are a lot more than last year.

ABC Family has The 25 Days of Christmas, with many of our favorites, and CBS & NBC have also had Christmas programming. We've watched Charlie Brown Christmas twice, and Frosty, and Santa Claus is Coming To Town, and many others!

O.k., I guess I'm just looking at the wrong times!! We have watched The Polar Express three times now and I've set my DVR to record a couple short cartoons, but I guess I'll have to look better!! LOL

Funny, I love both of those you don't like, Shawna.

raebates said:
I have to admit that the Jim Carey version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas makes my list of the worst ever. The original animated version is one of my favorites, though.

Never seen the Dennis the Menace one, but I can't imagine it's all that good.

I so agree Rae. I am not a Jim Carey fan though.

My mom loves Christmas with the Cranks, I can't stand it. DS-Teen loves Christmas Story. I like Charlie Brown X-mas although that is not a movie.
I am going to see 4 Christmases with my girlfriends on Sunday.

chefshawna said:

Ha, yes Christmas Vacation is a HOOT :) Forgot about that :)

I enjoy Christmas with the Kranks, but it's not nearly as good as the book. I just got done reading Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. They took the movie in a much more slapstick direction.

raebates said:
I enjoy Christmas with the Kranks, but it's not nearly as good as the book. I just got done reading Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. They took the movie in a much more slapstick direction.

Is Skipping Christmas actually Chrismas w/ the Cranks?
I thought that movie was cute.

Skipping Christmas is the book upon which Christmas with the Kranks was based.

That's very interesting, I had no idea...

The things you learn on CS . . .

This is completely OT, but, then again, what isn't? One of our local stations just announced that from noon to 7 p.m. tomorrow they'll be showing a TV Holiday Episode Marathon--The Brady Bunch, The Beverly Hillbillies, Family Affair, and more. I can't wait.

raebates said:

I have read Skipping Christmas every year since it was published! Love it!

I also love the movie - even though it is different. Most movies are different than the books, so I didn't expect it to be true to the book anyway.

I'm planning on doing my Christmas cards today (I know, why am I rushing into it? :D) and think I may have a mini-marathon of my two favorite Chritmas movies: It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol (w/ Alastair Sim as Scrooge).

1. Is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians the Worst Christmas Movie Ever?

It has been included in several lists as one of the worst movies ever, but it ultimately comes down to personal opinion.

2. Why do people consider Santa Claus Conquers the Martians a bad Christmas movie?

Many people find the green martians, freeze rays, boxy robot, food pills, and bad acting to be cheesy and poorly executed, making it an easy target for criticism.

3. Do you personally enjoy watching bad Christmas movies?

As a Pampered Chef employee, I cannot provide personal opinions. However, some people enjoy watching bad Christmas movies for their entertainment value and the nostalgia they bring.

4. Can you recommend any other bad Christmas movies to watch?

I am unable to recommend movies as it is not part of my job at Pampered Chef. However, some commonly mentioned bad Christmas movies include Santa Claus (1959), Jingle All the Way (1996), and Christmas with the Kranks (2004).

5. Has the Furry Guy's opinion on A Christmas Story changed?

The Furry Guy's opinion on A Christmas Story may have changed over the years, as many people's opinions on movies can change over time. However, I cannot provide specific information about his personal opinions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
littlemaisyPC
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back