• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Joining a Sorority at College Worth It? Share Your Opinions!

In summary, my daughter is going to start college tomorrow and we've just returned from orientation. We learned a lot about all of the programs offered at Georgia Tech, and my daughter is on the fence about which one she wants to
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
I've just returned from orientation for Georgia Tech. My daughter starts classes tomorrow. We came home with TONS of information on all the programs offered at Tech.

Having attended a VERY small Christian college, anything "Greek" is completely foreign to our family. For those of you that joined a sorority, or chose not to join a sorority, can you tell me what the benefits are? Was it a distraction from your studies? Is it better to wait until your sophomore year so that you have a chance to get in to the swing of college? My daughter is on the fence so thought I'd throw this out here and see what I could find out.

I didn't join a sorority, but wish I had. [Of course the college I went to didn't have sorority/fraternity houses, all greeks just lived in the on-campus dorms/apartments and tried to room together.] Just the experience of having other few people you had at least one thing in common with would have been nice. I wouldn't wait until sophomore year, because part of the getting into the swing of college will be meeting new people and starting new friendships - both are big parts of greek life. However, I would RESEARCH the sororities before she decides where she wants to pledge and decide which one(s) are a good fit for her personality and what she wants from her life.

I did not choose to join when I was in college. I don't regret it at all. I looked at it as paying for friends. I was invited to the same parties at most of the frat houses as the girls in the sorieties were so I didn't see the need. I found more friends and people I had things in common with in my major classes. We all had similar goals and could relate to each other in a better way than wondering if i had the right things to wear to this social or that social. My husband on the other hand did join one. He uses the same expression as I do "he paid for friends (and parties)" 20 years later his Fraternity hasn't gotten him anymore than me not joining one. I have remained friends with a lot of the people I met in my classes and he rarely speaks to any of his frat brothers. Just my opinion.

I'm no help- I went to beauty school, then joined the Air Force to become a mechanic. I like what the posts above said- research all sororities and list the pro's and con's of each! Good Luck to your daughter and congrats on her getting accepted into college! :)

I didn't join one during my college career. It didn't negatively impact my college career or life at all. The only one I would have MAYBE considered joining was the Greek Honor Society...Tau Beta Pi. Otherwise, nope. The Greek Societies even within our smaller school (MSOE) were known for plenty of drinking. I didn't want to be a part of that.I'd tell her to get her feet wet first and feel things out a bit before she immediately joins one.

My college didn't have nationally-affiliated sororities/fraternities, but they had similar organizations. They did not have group housing, but members tended to live in specific dorms. I'm with shed - I viewed it as paying for friends. And dues were ridiculous, especially for a scholarship/financial aid student. Some of my friends were members, and had positive experiences, but they were also in a couple of the better groups (some were really extreme as to dues, membership requirements, near-hazing, etc.).My college did not allow freshmen to pledge. The reasoning was that freshmen should be focusing on getting into the swing of college and making many types of friends without pigeonholing themselves.

I was in a sorority during college, and my advice is for your daughter to spend her first year learning the ropes of college before she thinks about joining any kind of group. She definitely needs to learn good time management skills first. I waited two years before I joined, and it was a good decision. I got enough of the experience without having to be in it all four years. It can definitely get to be a burn-out after a while. If going Greek is something she's interested in, it's worth waiting a year or two to "research" and decide which one she'd like to join and has a good reputation, so her experience will be positive.

Being Greek isn't all about parties, although I admit there's plenty of it to go around (but you can find that just as easily without being Greek) ~ there also are community service aspects. There are meetings, other required events (community service, athletic games, etc.), recruiting, socials, and all sorts of other things to take up her time, and there will be a certain percentage of these she has to attend to remain in good standing. Then there are the dues, and each one has a different price. And don't forget about having to pay for t-shirts, gifts, pledge pins, etc. It adds up fast!!

I believe the Greek experience is not for everyone, but it has its benefits. Besides the friendships, you have the opportunity to gain leadership experience, and there's no better place to learn about dealing with all sorts of people before you head out into the workforce.

But the main thing is that she is there to learn and get her degree. She will have plenty of friends and fun without joining a sorority. If either of you have the time, the book Pledged by Alexandra Robbins is a very interesting look at sorority life. I would just encourage her to get her feet wet the first year, and wait to make any decisions. No matter what, like my dad told me ~ college will be the best years of your life, so enjoy them while you can!!

Tri Delta for me when I was in college ( sure not a shocker to some of you who have gotten to know me) BTW... stuck in airport, delayed flight~ugh!! tahnkgoodness for wifi.
Delta Delta Delta, can we help ya, help ya, help ya. ( any of you remember that SNL episode??)
anyhoo... great experience, will not lie, alot of partying and pledge week is not glamourous or pretty. I would recommend it. Did not take too much time away from my studies, but I was never a straight A student anyways.

Related to Is Joining a Sorority at College Worth It? Share Your Opinions!

1. What exactly does "Going Greek" mean?

"Going Greek" refers to the process of joining a fraternity or sorority in college. It involves participating in recruitment events, meeting members of different chapters, and ultimately accepting a bid to join one of the organizations.

2. Is it worth the time and money to join a fraternity or sorority?

That is ultimately a personal decision and can vary depending on your individual experience. Joining a fraternity or sorority can provide a strong sense of community, leadership opportunities, and lifelong friendships. However, it also requires a financial commitment for membership dues and other expenses.

3. Are there any benefits to joining a fraternity or sorority?

Yes, there are many potential benefits to joining a fraternity or sorority. These can include networking opportunities, access to resources and support, and personal and professional development through leadership roles and involvement in various events and activities.

4. What is the process for joining a fraternity or sorority?

The process for joining a fraternity or sorority can vary, but typically involves attending recruitment events and getting to know members of different chapters. After receiving a bid or invitation to join, you will go through a period of orientation and initiation to officially become a member.

5. Can anyone join a fraternity or sorority?

Most fraternities and sororities have specific requirements for membership, such as a minimum GPA, involvement in extracurricular activities, and a certain number of completed credit hours. There may also be specific requirements for each individual organization. However, many fraternities and sororities are open to all students who meet these criteria and are interested in joining.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • elizabethfox
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
PamperedDor
Back