• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Garrett's Popcorn Really Worth $53 per Gallon?

and DH gets a giant bag to bring home. :)At our house, husband loves the caramel, I am a cheese person. I have to bring him back a huge bag. It's the last thing I buy before I leave town. If I bought it first, it would be gone before I left!!SarahGarrett's is an institution! Each year at conference, we walk and windowshop. Garretts is one place we stop. Now...I buy a small bag for myself to eat while walking....and DH gets a giant bag to bring home. :)
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
So one of my bosses (one of the presidents) LOVES popcorn. He has a tiny popcorn machine (like those movie theater ones) in his office and every day he pops himself a little bowl of popcorn.

I thought I'd look into Garrett's popcorn in Chicago and maybe get him a little something.

It can be as much as $53.00 per gallon container! What the heck?!?!? It's popped corn, not platinum or gold! Holy cow!!!!! That's a tank of gas and almost 3 meals worth of groceries for DH and I. I'm in total shock that they think a gallon by volume is worth $53.00!

So is it that good, or is it just hype? Don't get me wrong, I generally buy more expensive things, but just have less because I'm all about quality- but again... it's POPPED CORN!

Any thoughts? I just had to know before I took the plunge...

Garrett's IS awesome popcorn, but I don't know if that's worth it. Does that include shipping? There's a place here in Geneva, IL called Kernel Fabyans that I think is just as good as Garrett's. They ship as well. At quick glance, a one gallon of theirs is just $24, plus just $9 for UPS ground shipping. There's no tax. I seriously think it's just as good as Garrett's and to me it's better because I can drive there in 5 minutes.:) My favorite is their Nellie's mixed (caramel and cheesey). Yummy combo!!

Their website is Fine Gourmet Popcorn & Unique Personalized Popcorn Tins!

Yum!!!

Thanks, Becky! I just have a hard time spending that much on CORN! :) I'd spend that much on a good skin cream at Lancome, or a hair cut- but $51.00 for a gallon of light as air corn seems a little bit ridiculous.

:) I'll spend more on quality cheeses, meats and stuff like that, but not corn. :)

I like the prices at Fabyan's and will try them. Thanks so much!!!

Yikes! We have a machine like that at work...we get a huge bag of popcorn from Sam's Club, salt from there, and coconut oil to cook it in from the local store.On popcorn - get him some kettle corn - YUM!

I hear ya...it is just CORN!! It still sounds weird to spend $24 on popcorn, but it is REALLY good and if your boss is a popcorn connisseur (sp?) he'll really love it.

Let me know how you like it! It makes me want to go get it tomorrow. Yum!

Garretts is pretty awesome. Are you going to conference??? Bring him back a small container.

At our house, husband loves the caramel, I am a cheese person. I have to bring him back a huge bag. It's the last thing I buy before I leave town. If I bought it first, it would be gone before I left!!

There's a great caramel corn recipe that you can make yourself in the Roasting Pan. I'll have to dig it up for you--or I'm sure it's in the files here, cuz this is where I got it! :D

Kacey, I agree that's a tad pricey for popcorn.

I have to voice my opinion, even though this isn't the advice you were seeking - NOT A GOOD IDEA TO BUY YOUR BOSS A GIFT!! While it's a really nice thought, it's not going to make a good impression (on anyone in the office).

Sarah

DebbieJ said:
There's a great caramel corn recipe that you can make yourself in the Roasting Pan. I'll have to dig it up for you--or I'm sure it's in the files here, cuz this is where I got it! :D
I just made 2 batches of this last week. YUM!!

6 quarts popped popcorn
2 sticks (1 cup) butter - do NOT use margarine
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 250ºF. In Roasting Pan set over 2 burners, melt together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to boil for 5 minutes (this is what develops the rich caramel flavor). Turn heat to low and add vanilla extract and baking soda. Stir well. The caramel mixture will lighten in color and foam up. Stir in popcorn. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on cooling racks, breaking up large clusters before they cool.

If desired, 1-2 cups nuts may be added with popcorn. I like to add them when it's cool, along with candy corn or candy-coated chocolates.

Garrett's is an institution! Each year at conference, we walk and windowshop. Garretts is one place we stop. Now...I buy a small bag for myself to eat while walking. (That is, after you have waited in line for AN HOUR or more!) But I do NOT see what all the hype is! It's good...but it's not THAT good! I would never spend $50 on it!

I agree...make him some homemade caramel corn or kettle corn. The thought would probably go a long way!

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/1226617200

Related to Is Garrett's Popcorn Really Worth $53 per Gallon?

1. What is "Holy Price Gouging, Batman!"?

"Holy Price Gouging, Batman!" is a phrase often used to express shock or frustration at exorbitant prices for products or services.

2. Why do prices sometimes seem unreasonably high?

Prices can seem unreasonably high for a variety of reasons, including supply and demand, production costs, and market competition.

3. How can I avoid falling victim to price gouging?

To avoid falling victim to price gouging, it is important to research prices before making a purchase, compare prices from different sellers, and be cautious of prices that seem significantly higher than average.

4. Is price gouging illegal?

In most cases, price gouging is not illegal unless there is a state or federal emergency declared. However, it is often considered unethical and can damage a company's reputation.

5. What can I do if I suspect price gouging?

If you suspect price gouging, you can report it to your local consumer protection agency or attorney general's office. You can also choose to not support the company engaging in price gouging and instead purchase from a different seller.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back