• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feeling stuck with my Pampered Chef business - Any advice?

In summary, the author is a new consultant who has had challenges starting her business. She is disappointed with the lack of business she has been getting. She is set up to do a craft fair with another consultant, but she is not getting any leads. She is ready to give up on her business.
LCOLACHICO
Hi Fellow CS friends,

I will try to be as shot as possible.

My husband is in the Marine Corps and we have just relocated to Texas. The DFW area, and I was so pumped for our new move and I listened to move your business, asked all kinds of questions to those who have moved before.. and such.. and I was on a mission to build up my business here. I have only been a consultant for a yr now and I have had many challenges since the beginning, but have maintained to keep truckin.. I am still here :) and my sil just signed up too.

I get settled in the new house and ALL the neighbors have noticed that I am a Independent Pampered Chef Consultant.. because I have the decals on my cars. I have talked to each one of them as a whole and one on one.. I find that they all like/love pc. Even HAD one think that she might want to join the pc team. But since then she has decided to babysit instead..
what ever wks :) I was thankful to her honesty. She saved me time and saved herself time & money.

A few weeks ago I organized a block party ( just to get to know one another) and we all had a blast. Everyone loved all the pc stuff, one of the gals wants to have a show in a few months .. I am excited.. I did not want to make it all about me and wanting to get them to buy anything.. it was really laid back..

Any how I am bummed because later I was all ready , on my way out to deliver my " new consultant in the area fliers".. with the possibility of meeting some new people.. and my neighbor tells me that its against the law here to leave anything in or outside the mail box... and not to mention I find out later that same day that I need a permit from the city to pass around any type of fliers.

It gets better... I live in HOA community and I have learned that I am not allowed to run a home business out of my home.. Well THEY are OUT of LUCK, I am doing it anyway.. they failed to give me my contract that states this in advance, prior to the purchase of my home.. Most of my wk is off in a different location any way.

But here is the issue even with the business permit, I still cannot advertise in the neighborhood. Against the HOA rules. They even want me to take off remove my car decals.

I am super disappointed with the lack of business with my move out here.
I have asked family and friends if they would like to host a catalog show.. and most are to busy right now or simply just not interested.
and really I don't want to depend on my friends and family to keep my business going..

Unless I get $200. of sales by the end of this mo, I will become inactive.. I have already carried myself though the previous 2 mo (due to the move)
and I can;t do it again this time.

I am set up to do a craft fair with another consultant here in TX the 27th of this mo.. but other than that I have no leads!!!! (well I have leads, but I really don't feel that they are valid.. every time I follow up with those "so called people that say they want a show or a catalog party" always have a "reason" as to "right now is just not good".. why not just come out and say I have changed my mind.. I will have to call you back at a later time and try to mk it wk.. instead of me calling them over and over.. but I don't want them to think that I have just crossed them off the list.. I have taken their word that they "really" want to get together..:eek:

I just feel stuck... has anyone else felt this way..??? and how did you get through this.
I feel that I have tried all the possible ways.. ( I could be wrong)

Honestly I think being away from "home" and all my friends has made it harder to "suck it up" and move on...

I am ready to toss my hands up.. I love pc and as much as I want to try and make it wk the journey has been LONG!!! and I finally made it to where I was getting some where back home and then I moved 2000 miles way..

SORRY to sound so bitter.. :grumpy: Really I don't want to feel this way..:(

So I am trying to hold fast to the word that God has passed on...
"I know the plans I have for you Lara" Jer 29:11

and so I am reaching out to all of you for some advise and putting it all out on the table and looking forward to "what you would do or have done"

Thank You !!!
my novel is complete:D

first welcome to Texas!!

It is illegal anywhere in the US to put things in mailboxes it is a federal offense so it's not just your area.
it is against my HOA to have a home based business too, but ours allows MK, PC, AVon etc it does not allow landscape business, pool business, welding, etc (check this may be your restrictions as well)
If you drive a companty car even a police car home and it has verbage or logos it must be parked in the garage or covered

not sure which city you are in but permits are inexpensive get one and pass out your fliers.
I have the decal on my window and its acceptable.

When I get in a "RUT" like that I have to make a check list. Make a list of bullet points of all the obsticles you have listed. Then one by one and it sounds like Teresa has some good points above) you can check them off. She is right, a permit should be too expensive. Check into it. We can all get down sometimes and not be able to see outside of the box. Just check into all of those things as Teresa said and maybe it won't seem as bad as it does right now. GOOD LUCK to you.

Also, if you can't put them in the mailbox, put them on the door or give it to them personally.

I would be in a tail spin too if I were you!

Here's what you need to do---get into a booth or something else where you can meet people. A lot of schools do the vendor fairs this time of year for holiday shoppers. You have to branch out and do that.

As far as the logo on your car does it haveyour personal info?? If they want you to take down the personal info I could see that, but if you have the PC sticker (like a bumper sticker) I do not see how they can ask you to take it down.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Thank you all very much.. very valid points .. :0)

I'm amazed that they can tell you what you can have on your car! Can you park it in the garage? I agree w/you that if all of this wasn't presented in paper form to you before you purchased the house then how do they expect you to abide by the rules? Sorry this is happening to you! Keep your head up it will get better for you!

I'm sorry you are going through this. Yes, we have all felt the same way at one point or another (at least those of us who have been around for a while) so you are not alone.

We are not supposed to have a business in our home either in my sub division, but that means people coming and going from your house. Like you said, you are tecnically going to your job at peoples homes.

I think the booth is your best way to go. Try to get signed up for more.

there are some HOA in the metroplex that if you don't drive a mercedes, volvo , jag etc you can not park it in your own driveway.

Teresa Lynn said:
there are some HOA in the metroplex that if you don't drive a mercedes, volvo , jag etc you can not park it in your own driveway.

That is crazy!:eek:

Teresa Lynn said:

I don't even know how that can be legal!:eek: You can't tell somebody what kind of car they have to own. I so wouldn't live anywhere like that. Even if I was very wealthy!!

Until you get some bookings I would wear logo wear EVERYDAY! Every time I go to the grocery store someone stops me. I have PC licence plate covers, PC decals (with personal info) on my windows, PC Riboon Tote purse. If I've just come from working out I'll have a PC visor on. If I've just done a show I've got a PC shirt on. If I'm just in a PC mood I'll have a PC shirt on. I send my 5 yo (who LOVES doing it, btw) to school in her red PC shirt for Red, White and Blue day.

We are our main marketing tool. Cover all of your bases.

FYI, I have moved my business 3 times in the 5 years I've been a consultant. This last move was the only one I had any family or friends. You are on the right track with the booth. Keep looking for them. It is the time of year that you can work one every weekend if you wanted. Can't find one? Make one! If you find any business cards for other DS consultants around town or in your neighborhood get together with them and put together an open house. You benefit from all of them inviting their contact lists. That's what I like about that option.

Look up the thread..I think it's called, "A new way to Pamper A Business" There were AWESOME ideas shared in that thread. If you can pamper a business or 2 next week that should be enough to keep you active this month. Then get to work on those booths!!

Good luck honey!

That's ridiculous that they can tell you how you can and can't be employed!

Hathery said:
That's ridiculous that they can tell you how you can and can't be employed!

That is usually related to people running business out of their home which would also bring traffic and lots of card parked in their yard. DS is excluded from that.

All of these are great helpful pieces of information for you. One thing you might want to do if you don't get the sales you need by the end of the month is to apply for a waiver b/c of the month. That way you don't go inactive.

Consider joining Curves. During my first year I was allowed to display my PC products, FREE, for a week at a time. Other DS members did the same on a rotating basis. I had a drawing for a prize at the end of the week. I kept it simple and gave out three to five Seasons Bests. Over that first year, I had at least five members hold parties for me that
led to other bookings. Some of them have booked a second time, and others continue to place orders from time to time when I get on the phone and make follow up calls.

My Director is in Waco. TX, and is a great encourager. If you need someone in your area to hook up with for encouragement, I would be glad to share her contact info with you.

rennea said:
I don't even know how that can be legal!:eek: You can't tell somebody what kind of car they have to own. I so wouldn't live anywhere like that. Even if I was very wealthy!!

Yes, it was featured on the news here in the last month that one guy's brand new Chevy truck couldn't be parked in his driveway because it wasn't 'nice enough' or something like that. It's an exclusive, gated community about 15 miles from my house. This is why we have an older home where there isn't an HOA. My husband drives a 30 year old car. Mine's only 10! :) But back to the issue at hand...

The booth should be good for generating bookings; make sure you have a drawing for a FREE cooking class (show). This really just means that you bring the food with you (maybe paper plates if you don't have our Outdoor Party Plates, too), but you can determine the recipe too! Each person in that enters can be a winner if you want.

You probably will have some people who want to just straight order...plan for it. If you can afford to not make money on this show and the other consultant you are doing the booth with is OK with this, then offer FREE direct shipping on orders of $50 or more (or you can combine w/ guest special and make it $60 and they get a FREE product and FREE shipping!). This way, you only need 4 orders and you don't have to drive to meet the person later and it will effectively cost you $5 + tax max. Or you can say "The first 5 orders of $40 or more get FREE direct shipping. You'll get a FREE Mix N Chop with a $60 order and one lucky lucky person will get to select any piece or set of cookware at 60% off!"

Again if your main goal right now is to stay active and you don't need the income specifically, then pick a non-profit or other organization and do a "fundraiser." Tell the pet shelter/church/sports team that you've been challenged to reach out and help more and you'd like to help them via a Pampered Chef catalog fundraiser. They can pass the catalogs around to the volunteers/parents/members and 25% of all purchases will go to the organization as long as they gather a minimum of $200 in orders (only 10% if less than $200). PC will give the 10% and you write a check for the other 15% that you received as commission. This is great because the organization will also get $3 per booking (I enhance to $5, but I'm also at the 17% commission level on fundraisers) so you have a great angle to obtain bookings from that group.

aPamperedBride said:
Tell the pet shelter/church/sports team that you've been challenged to reach out and help more and you'd like to help them via a Pampered Chef catalog fundraiser.

Just to keep you honest...I am challenging you to step out of your comfort zone and help worthy cause in your new neighborhood by holding a PC fundraiser for it. Should you accept this challenge, you must let me know how you fulfill it!

Host your own show. And ignore the comments about your car. They can't tell you what to put on your car, it's a HOME OWNER's association, not a car club.

rennea said:

Ditto!! I had to re-read Teresa Lynn's post a couple times to make sure I read it right.....unreal!!!!!

And, Lara, sorry you're going through this...:( I don't really have any words of advice for you, as I have not had that experience. But it does sound like you've gotten some great advice here. You can totally do this! Hang in there and don't give up. Keep a positive attitude - remember, "Energy flows where attention goes"!

Actually, they can. Most HOA have a lawyer and they are strict
I assume actions are different depending on if it's run by homeowners or a management company (like ours is). In our neighborhood you receive a letter as a warning & 10 days to correct it, then they check again and send a certified letter. then a fine then a lien on your house for violations. this can be yard, exterior of house, cars in driveway, # of pets etc.

HOAs really burn me up. They seem to provide some control over rundown yards and other possible blight in a neighborhood. But they're really a way that people relinquish personal freedom without realizing they're doing so until they get the "cease and desist" letter from the group. Are there some yards in my neighborhood that could use a visit from the "yard cops" and be told to clean up? Sure. But nobody but the city code department is telling me where I can park my cars or how many pets I can have.Sorry. end rant...If you weren't given a full copy of the HOA rules before you closed on the house (heck, I'd insist on seeing them before I even made an offer), you may have some legal justification for not meeting those rules. But I'm not an attorney. Sounds like you may need to check with one.

Teresa Lynn said:
Actually, they can. Most HOA have a lawyer and they are strict
I assume actions are different depending on if it's run by homeowners or a management company (like ours is). In our neighborhood you receive a letter as a warning & 10 days to correct it, then they check again and send a certified letter. then a fine then a lien on your house for violations. this can be yard, exterior of house, cars in driveway, # of pets etc.

This is why I will NEVER live where there is an HOA. I don't care how much I LOVE a house, it's just a house...

Sorry... end rant!

in our case the HOA was formed AFTER our neighborhood was almost completed
we had lived here 4 years and I LOVE my house my kids are happy here and we abide by the rules. just like our children do when they are in school.

Unfortunately in some places the alternative to living in a nice kept up HOA area is living in an old SKANKY gross neighborhood. I appreciate my HOA it keeps my neighbors from leaving trash cans out all week, parking cars in their yards, having overgrown weeds in their front yard, listening to loud barking dogs all hours of the night and children loitering at night. And when something needs to be fixed you know exactly who to call. And I'm with Teresa, if you abide by the rules (and they aren't ridiculous) you have no problems.

WOW - an HOA sounds alot like a Union.

They know what's best, and are looking out for your best interest, whether you want them to or not.

I'm glad I live in a plain old suburb neighborhood.

There is the guy down the street who has really dirty curtains in his front window (and they are crooked too!), and he never mows his yard until it's about a foot high - and across the street, there is a teenage boy who always has his friends over working on old junker cars that sit in their driveway (and their music is loud!) - but that's okay. I can live with that, as long as it means I don't have some HOA telling me what I can or can't do with my own home and property.

ChefBeckyD said:
There is the guy down the street who has really dirty curtains in his front window (and they are crooked too!), and he never mows his yard until it's about a foot high - and across the street, there is a teenage boy who always has his friends over working on old junker cars that sit in their driveway (and their music is loud!) - but that's okay. I can live with that, as long as it means I don't have some HOA telling me what I can or can't do with my own home and property.
You may be able to have your city's code enforcement department check on the items I bolded. Even without HOAs, most cities have regulations about how property must be maintained, because poorly maintained property can be both unsafe and a factor in lowering home values. Common items for city codes include: lawn length, exterior home/garage repair/painting, number of cars on the property, parking requirements (in garage) for unregistered vehicles, sidewalk repair, sidewalk shoveling, noise ordinances, car repair locations (in garage), etc. Your city offices should be able to provide information to you about the codes in effect in your city.

The difference between city codes and HOAs (typically) is the level of nitpickiness. (yeah, I'm using that as a real word. So there.) City codes are more about public safety and property values. Some HOA rules, in my opinion, are there so that power-hungry people can run your life, too (like the silly rules in my sister's former neighborhood about the 5 approved house colors and how your house couldn't be the same color as those on either side of you or across the street; and each color had specific approved trim colors which also couldn't duplicate the houses immediately adjacent).

We do have codes - and I'm sure they probably get warnings from the Township (technically, we are a Township, not a City, Town, or Village) - but, it doesn't really bother me that much, and the neighborhood is well kept and friendly for the most part. If you get a warning about your yard, and don't mow it - the Township comes and does it for you, and bills you $90.

I live in an area that is very much "keep gov't out of our personal lives" in thinking. There was a HUGE uproar this past year when the township board decided that you had to get a permit if you were going to put up a yard sale sign. People were so ticked off - and there were all kinds of letters to the editor of the local paper. No one will publicly point to that decision as the beginning - but as I remember it, it was the beginning of the downfall of the current Township board. In the elections in Aug - all but one of them was voted out!

Besides - the outside of our house has been in disarray all summer because of our building project - so who are we to talk?:eek:

Well, I have strong feelings against HOA. I understand following rules, but if I am paying for my property, it's just that, MY PROPERTY!! We have a HOA, but it is a voluntary one, meaning, if we don't want to pay dues and belong to it, we don't. They just keep up the 5 properties that everyone in my development owns jointly. A couple parks, a lake dock, basketball court and were our sign is for our development. I would have never bought this home if I would have had to join a HOA.
Anyway, I agree that if they didn't show you any rules or paperwork with the legal aspects of the HOA before you bought the house, then you should be able to get out of the whole deal, or at least be able to get around some of the rules. Good luck!!

we live in the country, so we don't have city rules to enforce

I rented a home in an HOA for a few months. It was kinda nice, actually, but it wasn't a terribly strict one. They didn't say anything about the type of car, business or advertising. However, they did not allow anyone to park on the street overnight. Silly, because you could park there all day long and they really only gave tickets on one or two nights of the week (and it was usually the same nights!). I happened to have a Sacramento Police officer living next door. He brought his patrol car home every night and parked in the street and no one ever gave him any problems for it. My husband and I think that since it was the end of the street, it just looked like he was parked there while on patrol and people felt safer because it deterred malicious mischief. And they were pretty hard on sign violaters. I never tried to pass out fliers because we didn't live there very long.

When we bought our house, our realtor gave us the regulations before we closed, and said this was required by law. You might want to look into this . . . if they didn't follow the law, you may have a loophole.

1. How can I build my Pampered Chef business in a new location?

Building a business in a new location can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of success. First, make sure to network and get to know people in your new community. Attend local events, join community groups, and get involved in your neighborhood. This will help you meet potential customers and hostesses. Additionally, consider partnering with other local businesses or organizations to reach a wider audience. Finally, utilize online marketing and social media to reach potential customers in your new area.

2. What should I do if my neighbors are interested in Pampered Chef but I can't advertise in my neighborhood?

If you are not allowed to advertise in your neighborhood due to HOA rules, focus on building relationships with your neighbors and offering incentives for hosting parties or purchasing products. You can also reach out to friends and family in the area and ask them to spread the word about your business.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing challenges with my Pampered Chef business?

Starting and maintaining a business can be tough, and it's natural to feel frustrated or discouraged at times. One way to stay motivated is to focus on why you started your business in the first place. Remind yourself of your goals and the reasons you are passionate about Pampered Chef. Additionally, seek support from other consultants or mentors who can offer advice and encouragement. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

4. How can I handle potential customers who express interest but then don't follow through?

It can be frustrating when potential customers express interest in hosting a party or purchasing products, but then don't follow through. One way to handle this is to follow up with them once or twice, but if they continue to have excuses or don't respond, it may be best to focus your efforts on other potential customers. Remember, not everyone will be interested in Pampered Chef, and that's okay.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to make sales and may become inactive as a consultant?

If you are struggling to make sales and may become inactive as a consultant, it's important to take a step back and evaluate your business. Are there any areas where you can improve, such as marketing or customer service? Consider reaching out to your upline or other consultants for advice and support. You can also look into alternative income streams, such as hosting online parties or selling at local events, to supplement your sales. Remember, it's important to stay positive and keep trying, but also be realistic about your goals and expectations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dooleycrew
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
dooleycooks
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jengillette
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies