• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ifMicrowave Swt Potato Hasn't Quite Worked for You ...

In summary, microwaved sweet potatoes may come out soggy due to overcooking, lack of steam escape, or lack of absorption. Adding water to prevent drying out is not recommended, but covering with a damp paper towel can help retain moisture. For a crispy skin, baking or air frying is suggested. If the sweet potato is still hard, it may need longer cooking time or a higher power level, and cooking multiple potatoes at once is possible with some adjustments.
ChefetteDuJour
Gold Member
If you haven't been exactly thrilled with the results of your sweet potato chips in the microwave, try this --- it's not the low calorie version, but people will love them.

Pre-heat oven to 275 (F).

Slice off ends of sweet potato then scrub with a clean sponge to ensure all dirt is removed. Slice sweet potato on setting #2 of the Simple Slicer (no need to peel first).

Insert a double-stacked Microwave Chip Maker of sweet potatoes and cook per the Use & Care Directions - except - cook only about 2/3 - 3/4 cooked. Potato slices will still be flexible but mostly cooked and not yet dried or crisp.

Use Chef's Silicone Basting Brush to very lightly brush Large Sheet Pan with Orange Infused Canola Oil. Transfer partially cooked slices to sheet pan.

Bake about 30 - 45 minutes or more until crisp, turning over half way through cooking. Cooking time will vary depending on how well cooked they were when you started as well as your oven's dependability and/or hot spots, which rack in oven, etc. You can experiment with this. 300 degrees seemed a little high but if you really like them crispy and don't have much time, try that.

When done to your satisfaction, remove from oven. Combine spices to suit your palate - such as sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne, etc., and dust chips with spice combination.

If chips are thoroughly dry, you should be OK storing them at room temp, but if any moisture still remains, refrigeration would be a safer bet.

Then let us know what spice mixtures you come up with!

I'm sure regular potatoes could also be cooked this way - I'll try them with the Rosemary Infused Canola oil.

Attachments

• Sweet-Potato-Chips_Baked_w_OrangeInfusedCanola.jpg
    Sweet-Potato-Chips_Baked_w_OrangeInfusedCanola.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 535
Could you do this on a stone?

Yes, I'm sure that would work - maybe even better.

1. Why does my microwaved sweet potato come out soggy?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure you're not overcooking the sweet potato. Microwaves vary in power, so it may take some trial and error to find the right cooking time for your specific microwave. Additionally, make sure the sweet potato is pierced with a fork or knife before cooking, as this allows steam to escape and prevents it from becoming soggy. Lastly, try microwaving the sweet potato on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate to absorb excess moisture.

2. Can I add water to my microwaved sweet potato to prevent it from drying out?

No, adding water to the sweet potato will actually make it more soggy. As mentioned before, make sure to pierce the sweet potato and place it on a paper towel or microwave-safe plate to prevent it from drying out. You can also cover the sweet potato with a damp paper towel while microwaving to create a steamy environment that will help keep it moist.

3. How can I get a crispy skin on my microwaved sweet potato?

Microwaving will not produce a crispy skin on a sweet potato. For a crispy skin, try baking the sweet potato in the oven or air fryer instead.

4. My sweet potato is still hard after microwaving, what did I do wrong?

It's possible that the sweet potato was not cooked for long enough or that your microwave's power level is too low. Try cooking the sweet potato for longer or at a higher power level. You can also try cutting the sweet potato into smaller pieces to help it cook more evenly.

5. Can I microwave multiple sweet potatoes at once?

Yes, you can microwave multiple sweet potatoes at once. Just make sure they are similar in size and poke them with a fork or knife before cooking. The cooking time may need to be adjusted slightly, and you may need to rotate the sweet potatoes halfway through cooking for even heating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
mspibb
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies