• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How the Vanilla Shortage in Madagascar Could Impact Your Pantry

There is some concern about the fungus spreading, but it is not believed to be a major issue. The article mentions that 80% of the plantations are affected, so there may be some difficulty getting vanilla in the near future. However, the guest at my show said she was going to buy all the vanilla she could before it was gone.
byrd1956
Gold Member
My husband found a small article in our newspaper...just wondering how this will affect us? It reads:
FUNGUS MAY CAUSE VANILLA SHORTAGE
Farming officials in Madagascar say a deadly and incurable crop fungus has spread widely in the island's main vanilla-producing area. Agronomic research chief Simeon Rakotomamonjy says the situation is "critical," with 80 percent of plantations affected in some regions. Madagascar, a larg island off the coast of southeast Africa, is the world's main vanilla producer. Most of its crop is exported to the United States, where it is used for making confectionary, soft drinks and ice cream.

So how long is our vanilla's shelf life and should we stock up??

Well, there goes 10 lbs. next year. ;)Seriously, I don't eat much ice cream...but I like my Coca-Cola!

Hmmm, I LOVE Vanilla- I think I'll be running to WS to get some this weekend! :)

I think I have enough for a small shortage, but I use a lot. I hope it doesn't last long.

Actually this happened a few years back and I don't remember anyone noticing then...

ooo....:love: I love vanilla, too and I never use 1/2 as much of ours like they suggest.....in fact, sometimes I splash in a little extra :D

maybe my DH will have to get use to the vanilla my mom brought home from mexica last yr.

oh, use that vanilla from Mexico!! When I was there with my family in August I bought some and started using it the morning after we got home!! It is the BEST...french toast never tasted so good!! I asked my MIL to pick me up a larger bottle when she goes there this winter. My bottle is 8.3oz and I am already dreading running out!! (only about 1/3 of the way done, but I DO NOT want to run out!!) the flavor is awesome in everything I use it in!! :love:

I agree - the vanilla from mexico is delicious!! My mom got some when on a cruise and it is so yummy!! I wish I knew someone heading back that way so I could get some more! Mmmm.....

I get my vanilla from Ecuador- it's AWESOME... sad about Madagascar, though. I hope they find a cure-

I called Pampered Chef about this last week! They sent me to the test kitchens...who rarely respond...No response yet...

A guest at my show told eveyone to buy it. I wanted to get a customer service email out there before the shipping cut off.

I have had the bottle inmy cabinet for a few years I think, so, I will be fine, ha!

I just got home from shopping all day...and finally had a response from the Test Kitchens on my machine.

It took awhile because "she" needed to contact our vendor. Apparently the story has been blown way out of proportion, and our vendor said we will have no problems with getting our vanilla from our suppliers.

That was pretty much the message.

Related to How the Vanilla Shortage in Madagascar Could Impact Your Pantry

What is causing the vanilla shortage in Madagascar?

The vanilla shortage in Madagascar is primarily caused by natural disasters such as cyclones and floods, as well as political instability and poor harvests.

How will the vanilla shortage affect the availability of vanilla products?

The vanilla shortage in Madagascar has led to a decrease in the supply of vanilla beans, resulting in higher prices and potential scarcity of vanilla products in the market.

Is there a substitute for vanilla in cooking and baking?

While there is no exact substitute for vanilla, you can try using vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste as alternatives in your recipes. Other flavors such as almond or maple can also provide a similar taste profile.

Will the vanilla shortage impact the quality of vanilla products?

Since the supply of vanilla beans is limited, some manufacturers may resort to using artificial or synthetic vanilla flavors, which may affect the overall quality of the product. It is important to check the ingredients list when purchasing vanilla products.

What can consumers do to support the vanilla industry in Madagascar?

Consumers can support the vanilla industry in Madagascar by purchasing ethically-sourced vanilla products from reputable companies. This helps to support the farmers and ensures fair wages for their labor.

Back