• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Much Do You Spend on Groceries?

In summary, you spend between $100-125 on groceries each week for a family of five. This varies greatly based on what is available in your area and what your family's needs are.

How much do you spend on Groceries?

• Under $50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50 to 100

• $100-150

• $150-200

• Over $200

• Varies greatly

• I have no idea, I just keep going back for more !!

• I eat out and don't buy many groceries

• Where can I buy groceries, I never seen that kind of store!

• Total voters
ardipc
Gold Member
Need someone in Eugene/Portland, ORHi all,

I have a new consultant (Melissa) who is red hot! Yay! Her sister-in-law is wanting to sign up under her, however she's never been to a show, and would like to attend one before she starts trying to book her own shows so that she'll have at least an idea of what she'll be doing. Melissa and I live in Austin, TX, so the earliest she can attend one of our shows is in November.

Is there anyone in Eugene (or possibly Portland), Oregon who would agree to have Melissa's potential recruit as a guest at one of their shows before she signs with Melissa?

Thanks in advance,
Ardi

I have been curious for a long time about the average cost of groceries for families on a weekly basis.

I used to be able to spend between $30-50 per week for a family of four (2 adults, 10 and 11 year old - about 5 years ago), and was told that was VERY cheap but now I spend somewhere between $100-125 for a family of 5 (2 adults, 17,16, and 3 year old). I am sure the cost of groceries have gone up, but my boys are teenagers now and eat lots more also. For instance, one bag of supersize cereal used to feed them most of the week, now I go through about 3 of those bags each week. 1-2 gallons of milk would get us a week or sometimes more, now we go through 3-4 gallons a week and still run out upon occasion.

How many and what ages do you have in your family and how much do you spend weekly?

You are lucky on the milk - I go through 6-8 gallons a week with DH, a 3 year old DS, and 6 year old daughter (I don't drink milk).

Also, mine varies greatly. It depends what I have in my freezer to use...I can go for a few light weeks then have to spend more to "stock the pantry". I think I usually average about $100-$150 per week (groceries aren't cheap here...unless I'm diligent with coupons.)

Oops, I meant $200-250 per month on my big runs then $50-100 on smaller runs by weekly. 4 people in the family. 2 girls age 2 and 5 and us.
1.5 gallons a week for milk.

We also don't eat out at all...once in awhile the kids get a McDonalds trip before AWANA.

I rarely spend less than $90 during my big trip every week, and I ususally spend at least $100. I always go back for more at least once and probably twice because of produce. I have two boys, 10 and 12, and a husband who must eat meat. Meat is expensive. I'd rather spend the money on produce.

janetupnorth said:
Also, mine varies greatly. It depends what I have in my freezer to use...I can go for a few light weeks then have to spend more to "stock the pantry". I think I usually average about $100-$150 per week (groceries aren't cheap here...unless I'm diligent with coupons.)

Mine varies quite a bit also, but I know I spend at least $100 average each week with more added with each trip to pick up one or two items (which usually end up being about 12 items costing me another $20 or more !!:cry:)

Some weeks, I can still get by with less than fifty but like you said, I make it up the next week, buying the stuff I didn't get the week before...

I added the varies greatly option, mostly thinking about step families. Some might have their kids a week or two or part of the month and spend a lot more during the time they are there versus not being there. I would imagine that if I had a few extra kids one week, that it would add a significant amount of food to my bill during their stay.

I eat alot so my bills are depressing. I prolly spend $400 a month on groceries just for myself! :(

If I go to a certain store which is about 30 minutes from me I can get away with $135-140 a week. Myself, DH a 5 yo, 15 yo DD ,10 yo DS.

I only mention the 30 minutes because I have 3 other stores within 5 minutes of me. I know in some places a 30 minute drive is great! But if i was to shop at one of those that same list would be well over $200

We rarely eat out. I budget about $600 a month.....I also make all my kids lunches and that includes household products and dog food!!
There are 5 of us;DH and I, DS-11, DD-7.5 and DD-5.5 as well as DS-15 who spends summers with us (he lives with his mom for most of the year!)

I average $150 per week, but that is EVERYTHING...all groceries, toiletries, and miscellaneous stuff.

We have 4 in our family (5 when DSD visits in summer or Christmas break...and it goes up then)
DH
me
DSS 13
DS 2.5

PLUS:
Dog (who eats FOUR cups of food a day!)
Cat (who WANTS to eat four cups of food a day!)

BTW- I just joined the grocerygame.com last night....and I am hoping that I will save tons of money!!

we don't drink sodas & the only junk food is for my 17 year old, he is addicted to Doritos and Oreos & he drinks a gallon of milk every other day.
Because I love to cook we seldom eat packaged convenience foods but I spend more than the $200 a week because I go nearly every other day for the milk & lunch stuff and the other things jump in my cart.
We also eat out alot which frustrates me I throw things away because I had good intentions to cook but it molds or rots before we can use it.
Our kids pack their lunches and DS takes 3 or 4 sandwiches in a gallon baggie. he goes thru one package of turkey or ham himself.

I didnt read the whole post but I spend about 200 every 2 weeks I try not to run to the store during the week. I have 5 in my family me DH 5 yr old DS 3 yr old DD and an 14 month DD I swear the 14 month old eats more then the 3 yr old

Right now I'm spending about $60 a week for a family of three and one dog, but I plan to get that lowered if I can. I use grocerygame.com too and it's made a difference already!

Attachments

• dollar days.doc
    112.5 KB · Views: 189
  • dollar days.doc
    112.5 KB · Views: 203
  • dollar days.doc
    112.5 KB · Views: 190
We run about $50-100 a week since we made the no eating out rule. We have been trying not to eat out at all, but we have gone a few times this month. We did 2 weeks and the difference in our bank account was so big that DH thought I had sold stuff online and put money in the account or that some bill had failed to go through.

I normally spend around $60-80 each week on groceries. We usually eat out about once a week on the weekend. I do eat with my parents on Sunday after church and Sunday night we just snack on what ever we can find.

I go once a month when my husband gets paid and buy enough meat to freeze for the month. If something is on sale I will stock up on it in the freezer.

I love this thread! I need help in this area. We eat out waay too much.
Those of you that spend less than $80 per week...I need to learn from you!

twingirlsmom said:
I love this thread! I need help in this area. We eat out waay too much.
Those of you that spend less than $80 per week...I need to learn from you!

I think the biggest thing is to preplan meals for the week. When we "shop on a whim" for what we want that night, it gets expensive. When I plan ahead and use coupons, it is better.

Like others, you also have to eat what you buy. Don't buy 3 bags because it is on sale. Buy 1...better to spend 5 cents more than throw out 2 bags...

Also, I'm bad at my fridge getting "too full" then you don't know what you have and it goes to waste...mainly sauces or dressings...you buy cocktail sauce for a meal, then don't have shrimp for 2 more months and the sauce is bad...things like that.

I have three sons...two of them teenagers with bottomless pits for stomachs. Plus we eat mostly organic which is a little bit expensive. I spend about $900 per month on groceries. Our shopping trips are like planning an expedition to the north pole or something! It's insane...but it's all gone at the end of the two weeks when we go back to the store again! I would LOVE to be able to spend $100 per week again like I did when my kids were younger. Or less of them. wow.

JAE said:
I rarely spend less than $90 during my big trip every week, and I ususally spend at least $100. I always go back for more at least once and probably twice because of produce. I have two boys, 10 and 12, and a husband who must eat meat. Meat is expensive. I'd rather spend the money on produce.

I hear ya on the man and meat thing!

KellyTheChef said:
BTW- I just joined the grocerygame.com last night....and I am hoping that I will save tons of money!!

couponmom.com basically does the same thing...for free.

Attachments

• Kristis New Consultant Training Class 1 Section 2.doc
    119 KB · Views: 207
    119 KB · Views: 231
    119 KB · Views: 241
janetupnorth said:
I think the biggest thing is to preplan meals for the week. When we "shop on a whim" for what we want that night, it gets expensive. When I plan ahead and use coupons, it is better.

I have preplanned meals for 1 week at a time but I'm not consistent with it.
I have seen moms in store holding an Excel spreadsheet of grocery items...that would be my goal eventually but seems like a far way down the road!

janetupnorth said:

Like others, you also have to eat what you buy. Don't buy 3 bags because it is on sale. Buy 1...better to spend 5 cents more than throw out 2 bags...

Also, I'm bad at my fridge getting "too full" then you don't know what you have and it goes to waste...mainly sauces or dressings...you buy cocktail sauce for a meal, then don't have shrimp for 2 more months and the sauce is bad...things like that.

I agree you have to plan your meals and shop for them, don't get all the extras. It's easy to say, not always easy to do. I'm thinking about trying the grocery game.

I used to spend about 2 hours every day at work wondering what to have for dinner. Questions like "what do they want, what do I feel like cooking, how much time will it take, what do I have at home, and how much will it cost to pick that item up for dinner?"

Then I took a sheet of paper, made a list of all the meals I know and they family likes and listed them. Realized I had gone one whole summer without tacos, just flat out forgot about them. Had more grilled cheese and egg sandwiches then we could handle.

Anyway, after the list, I took an empty calendar and filled in meals for the whole month. That eliminates having the same meal too many times in a row and I can try to use some products for several meals instead of having lots of leftover items. (for instance, a head of lettuce can be used for tacos, Blt's, and salads)

This has saved a lot of money and worrying time knowing what to buy and being able to condense the list.

What if I don't want pizza on the 23rd? or spaghetti on the 13th? I just switch the meals around to fit my schedule for that particular week. I always seemed to have an extra meal in the pantry anyway for last minute changes. It has been an awesome thing for me to do.

We spend about $110 every two weeks at the grocery store & about $200 every 5 weeks at Sam's. This includes all of our households, toiletries & diapers for the baby.

What helps us keep our $$ lower is that we don't pay for any beef or pork. We have livestock that we have processed.

I also do a lot of meal planning as far as making a list of what we like. Ingredients for our favorites are usually kept on hand as go-to meals. I plan it so that we can change up what we're having if we feel like something different.

Related to How Much Do You Spend on Groceries?

1. How much should I budget for groceries each week?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as grocery budgets can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, family size, dietary restrictions, and personal spending habits. However, a general rule of thumb is to allocate around 10-15% of your total monthly income for groceries.

2. Is it more cost-effective to buy groceries in bulk?

It can be more cost-effective to buy certain items in bulk, such as non-perishable staples like rice, pasta, and canned goods. However, it's important to consider your storage space and consumption rate before purchasing in bulk to avoid food waste and spoilage.

3. How can I save money on groceries without sacrificing quality?

There are many ways to save money on groceries without compromising on quality. Some tips include planning meals and making a list before shopping, buying in-season produce, opting for store brands instead of name brands, and utilizing coupons and discounts.

4. Are there any budget-friendly meal planning resources available?

Yes, there are many free meal planning resources available online, such as budget-friendly recipe websites and apps. Pampered Chef also offers a variety of meal planning tools, including customizable meal plans and shopping lists.

5. How can I stick to my grocery budget while still buying healthy options?

One way to stick to your budget while buying healthy options is to prioritize whole, unprocessed foods over pre-packaged and convenience foods. These whole foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and grains, are often more affordable and healthier than their processed counterparts. Additionally, planning meals and making a list before shopping can help you avoid impulse purchases and stick to your budget.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies