• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's Your Family's Unique Wassail Recipe?

In summary, people at work were not familiar with wassail, and I used my grandmother's recipe with some variations.
ragschef
I made a batch of wassail and brought it to work this morning and everyone here was like "what's wassail?" with their noses turned up. I used my grandmother's old recipe (minus the brandy) and I've made it a tradition in my family for years now. Here's the recipe I use:

1 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon OJ
PC cinnamon plus blend (about 4 tbsp)
Mulling spices (LOVED PC's mulling spices when they carried them!)
whole cloves poked into an orange
Ground Ginger (about 2 tbsp)
1 cup packed brown sugar

I place the mulling spices in my tea infuser and the cloved orange in the bottom of the crock pot. I pour the juices in and the spices on top. Whisk until the spices settle and put the lid on the pot. I let it steep on high for about an hour and then let it warm for the rest of the day while people sip on it.

When I make it at home I add 2 cups of dry brandy to it. Really adds a lot of flavor, but can't legally have it at work! :)

Just wondering if anyone else has a wassail tradition, and if so, how do you make it?

I thought you needed some big sheets of canvas and a heavy-duty sewing machine.Of course, it's not necessary unless you have wassail boat.

We used to have it served during Madrigal Dinner in High School. Someone else made it though.

I use a recipe similar to that - I just didn't know it was called Wassail. We always just called it hot spiced cider. :eek:

At least now I know what "Here we go a-wassailing..." means now.

ChefBeckyD said:
At least now I know what "Here we go a-wassailing..." means now.

Sure - it's an old sea shanty. You sing it after you make wassail from canvas and then go out on the lake in wassail boat.

I knew KG would turn this around.... (smirk)

We usually have glogg during Christmastime, but I usually go buy the mix from IKEA and throw in some spices and alcohol (if I'm in the mood). This year, since I went to see mom, I bought a bottle with alcohol already in it and brought it home with me.

I have a Christmas book by Sandra Boynton that has a wassail recipe in it. It starts out, "In a largish pewter kettle, combine 125 gallons of ale, 1 bushel whole cloves..."It also describes the tradition of going from house to house drinking toasts to the health of all those who live there. It says, "After the third house, toasts are usually drunk to the furniture, as well."

My wassail recipe has apple cider/ orange juice (12 cups each) and
grapefruit juice (2 cups) bring to a boil, then simmer, adding to it a syrup made with :

1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 8 cinnamon sticks and 24 whole cloves (tied in cheesecloth) - boil this for 10 minutes, then add to simmering juices. This is incredible !!!! For those who like alchohol, the person who gave me the recipe said you can add rum to this. ( I have never tried it with rum)

chefann said:
I have a Christmas book by Sandra Boynton that has a wassail recipe in it. It starts out, "In a largish pewter kettle, combine 125 gallons of ale, 1 bushel whole cloves..."

It also describes the tradition of going from house to house drinking toasts to the health of all those who live there. It says, "After the third house, toasts are usually drunk to the furniture, as well."

What's the name of your book, Ann? We LOVE Sandra Boynton at our house!!

I think it's just "Christmastime." It's several years old, but absolutely hilarious. I found it in paperback on Amazon. My copy is hardbound.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0749310359/?tag=pfamazon01-20Wait! Here's the hardcover: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0894806351/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sure - it's an old sea shanty. You sing it after you make wassail from canvas and then go out on the lake in wassail boat.
ragschef said:
I knew KG would turn this around.... (smirk)

Some would say I either don't have both oars in the water or I've been at Chefann's recipe.

elefant.gif

1. What is wassail and what is its history?

Wassail is a traditional hot spiced drink that dates back to medieval times in England. It was originally made with mulled ale or cider and was used as a drink to toast to good health and prosperity. Over time, wassail evolved to include a variety of spices and juices, and is now commonly enjoyed during the holiday season.

2. What is the difference between wassail and mulled wine?

While both wassail and mulled wine are hot spiced drinks, there are a few key differences. Wassail is typically made with fruit juices, while mulled wine is made with red wine. Additionally, wassail often includes brandy, while mulled wine may include other types of alcohol such as port or whiskey. The spices used in each drink may also vary slightly.

3. What are the main ingredients in your wassail recipe?

The main ingredients in my wassail recipe are apple juice, orange juice, cinnamon, mulling spices, cloves, ginger, and brown sugar. These ingredients are all combined in a crockpot and simmered together to create a delicious and flavorful drink.

4. Can you make wassail without alcohol?

Yes, wassail can be made without alcohol. In fact, the original wassail recipe did not include any alcohol. It is still a delicious and warming drink even without the addition of brandy or other spirits.

5. How do you make your wassail recipe?

To make my wassail recipe, I combine apple juice, orange juice, cinnamon, mulling spices, cloves, ginger, and brown sugar in a crockpot. I let it simmer for about an hour and then let it warm for the rest of the day. For an extra kick, I also add 2 cups of dry brandy, but this is optional. The result is a delicious and festive drink that my family has enjoyed for years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
abigailhutch
  • showoffchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
winklermom
  • Teresa Lynn