• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Navigate the Scary World of Self-Employment?

M
mistym
Hey guys, I guess I need a little inspiration so I figured I would come to you guys for that!
I decided not to go back to work and stay home with my almost 1 yr old (here in Canada, Mat Leave lasts a year and the government assists you every month - my last government cheque is in 2 weeks). I want to do PC and babysitting full time. As a person who always had a steady paycheck coming in as well as being the breadwinner, this is very scary for me as now I am looking at fluctuating paychecks, figuring out taxes etc etc by myself. So last night we sat down and worked out the budget and figured out what I needed PC and babysitting to bring us and ok, the budget was tight but manageable. Well, today I get a phonecall from the mom of of the child I was going to babysit and it turns out she is having second thoughts - so this has thrown me into a tizzy! The unknowns are killing me. I do have faith that it will work out but being out there, doing it for myself is Scary - with a capital S.

I know it will be fine, but as a planner, I am scared and stressed as to how the ends are all going to meet.

Anyone else out there been through the same situation?- how did you manage to keep from pulling all your hair out???

Thanks guys - I needed that

Misty

Never been in your situation - but hope it works out well for you!!!!

Misty,
When I decided to quit working when DD#2 was born we were literally cutting our income in 1/2 I was so scared but we just put our trust in the Lord and he definitly looked out for us. Since I quit my DH has had 2 new promotions Everything seems to work out the way it needs to work out. Good Luck with everything

I don't have an answer for you, except to say that (from experience) I know that you can live on FAR LESS than you think you can.

10 years ago when my hubby and I got together, we both made about the same $$ per year. We made the decision for me to first cut back and only work part time so I would be home when his kids (from a prev. marriage) got home from school. Then, I cut back even further....Then, totally quit almost two years ago when we had our first child together. God has blessed us in other ways financially. Hubby is teaching a PT class at a local college and bringing in extra $, my PC business has always brought in "just what we needed" for unexpected extras, hubby has gotten really nice raises, etc.

That all being said, I am a "planner" too and I know how scary that is!!! I would just pray about it and see what happens. I still have to (daily, monthly, whatever) give over my financial worries to God. That is one of my biggest struggles.

Keep us posted! I hope it all turns out great for you!

Staying home with my little guy has been the best! I LOVE the time we get to spend together!

Related to How Do I Navigate the Scary World of Self-Employment?

1. What are the first steps I should take when starting my own business?

The first steps to take when starting your own business include determining your target market, creating a business plan, securing funding, and registering your business with the appropriate government agencies.

2. How do I manage my finances as a self-employed individual?

Managing finances as a self-employed individual can be challenging, but it is important to keep track of all income and expenses, set aside money for taxes, and create a budget to ensure financial stability.

3. What are the tax implications of being self-employed?

As a self-employed individual, you are responsible for paying your own taxes and filing tax returns. It is important to keep track of all income and expenses and consult with a tax professional to ensure you are meeting all tax obligations.

4. How do I handle the uncertainty and fluctuating income of self-employment?

The key to handling uncertainty and fluctuating income in self-employment is to have a solid financial plan in place. This includes setting aside money for emergencies and creating a budget that accounts for potential income fluctuations.

5. What tips do you have for staying motivated and managing stress in self-employment?

It is important to set realistic goals and break them down into manageable tasks. Also, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout. Surround yourself with a supportive network and seek guidance from other self-employed individuals who have successfully navigated the challenges you may be facing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MORFIA
  • kcmckay
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • JennyJennJen