• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal How Did My Second Grader Achieve Such Impressive Reading Results?

In summary, the conversation was about a second grader named Sammy who did exceptionally well in the "Accelerated Reader" program at school. She had taken 100 tests, read 501,500 words, and had an average book level of 3.7. Everyone in the conversation was proud of her and shared their own experiences with reading and their hopes for their children to develop a love for reading. They also discussed how the program encourages reading and leads to future success in school.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
I'm so proud of her...

They do the "Accelerated Reader" program at school where you take a test on comprehension on a book after you've read it.

For this year she just hit:

Tests taken - 100
Words read - 501,500
Average book level - 3.7

(She's a 2nd grader).

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Awesome! Good job to her and to you, too:)

That's great! She must love to read. We have that here too and so many kids struggle to get enough points. My DD is too young yet, but I'm excited that she loves books already. She got that and stubborness from me.

That is wonderful Janet! Give her a big HIGH 5 from me!

Congrats - a love of reading can boost you in so many ways!

sounds like my daugher.. when she learned about the library.. we would take her on a Friday and she would check out 15-20 books.. 1/2 the time the librarian would give her a hard time about it.. but by Sunday she would be ready to take them back.. She would have read them all.. We used to tell her she didn't read them but ate them..
She of course just graduated from College in Dec. with 2 BAs and 2 minors in 3 1/2 years.

colegrovet said:
sounds like my daugher.. when she learned about the library.. we would take her on a Friday and she would check out 15-20 books.. 1/2 the time the librarian would give her a hard time about it.. but by Sunday she would be ready to take them back.. She would have read them all.. We used to tell her she didn't read them but ate them..
She of course just graduated from College in Dec. with 2 BAs and 2 minors in 3 1/2 years.

Awesome job...my two B.S. degrees took me 5 years! (Of course engineering takes longer). I can only hope my kids continue to enjoy school.

Up here, they don't complain when you check out that much, especially when they get to know the kids...small town...

Way To Go Sammy!!!
Janet, You should be SO proud!!!

That is awesome! I'm sure you are proud of her and have told her what a great job!

My DD has been learning to read, and it is SO FUN!! I am loving seeing her progress, and learn to love reading and books.

I have always been a HUGE bookworm myself, so I really hope my kids grow up loving to read, it makes so much other stuff easier for them too...

Great Job!!!! My son when he was in 5th grade was #1 in the whole school with the AR Program... He is 16 now and loves to read....Just keep encouraging her and she will succeed in whatever she does....

As a previous librarian, I LOVE to see children read and gain the love for books. Good job!

sounds like me when i was her age. you couldnt get me to put a book down. i would cry when my parents made me stop reading to come eat dinner. now im so busy im lucky if i can read a book in a month.

good job to your daughter janet!

Congrats! I just got my son's AR scores too... That program is really great for encouraging reading!

YEA Sammie!

Great Job! Reading (and the love of reading) is the most important indicator of future success in school. (that's what my son's preschool teacher just told us!)

thecougchef said:
sounds like me when i was her age. you couldnt get me to put a book down. i would cry when my parents made me stop reading to come eat dinner. now im so busy im lucky if i can read a book in a month.

good job to your daughter janet!

Me, too! I read while I brushed my teeth, while I ate my breakfast cereal....now I am lucky if I can catch 20mins to read before bedtime

Get_Pampered said:
Me, too! I read while I brushed my teeth, while I ate my breakfast cereal....now I am lucky if I can catch 20mins to read before bedtime

This was me too. I always snuck a flashlight to bed, so I could read under the covers too.

Oh - and if I didn't have anything else to read, I just read the breakfast cereal boxes. I think that may have been when I started reading nutrition labels!:D

Yup! I also read the shampoo bottle labels in the shower and got in BIG trouble for sneaking into my closet after bedtime to read! Gosh, I hope I have kids who are like I was!

ChefBeckyD said:
This was me too. I always snuck a flashlight to bed, so I could read under the covers too.

Oh - and if I didn't have anything else to read, I just read the breakfast cereal boxes. I think that may have been when I started reading nutrition labels!:D

Oh my goodness...Sammie recently started doing that! I always have chocolate and white milk in the house...they drink all the chocolate milk, especially Daddy and the white milk is for recipes and cereal. All of a sudden I noticed I was running out of white milk and not chocolate. Since my kids get their own breakfast and milk for dinner and have dark cups I didn't look in them. Here Sammie has been reading labels and comparing the amount of sugar in things. When she realized chocolate milk had twice as much sugar, she started drinking white milk instead. :rolleyes:

Wow! That is wonderful - great job Sammie and awesome Janet!!!!

Tell your DD Awesome!!
My DD is also a reader, like myself and my mother. The weekend before Christmas my DD disappeared for the day on Saturday. I knew she was in her room...but wasn't really sure why she felt the need to be absent from BF and I. When she came down for dinner that night she had just finished reading the final book in the Harry Potter series...and my mom had just given it to her on Friday night!! So on Sunday, I dropped it off at my parents and my mom gave me this puzzeled look and asked why she was getting it back so soon, I told my mom, because she finished reading it!!
It is GREAT to have kids that read!!
My DD's AR score was 8.7 in 5th grade, we haven't gotten them yet this year.

That's an awesome score for 5th grade...and a fast reader!

Related to How Did My Second Grader Achieve Such Impressive Reading Results?

1. What is "Congrats to My Little Girl..." all about?

"Congrats to My Little Girl..." is a heartfelt cookbook filled with recipes and stories to celebrate the milestones and achievements of your daughter. It's a perfect gift for any proud parent or guardian.

2. Are the recipes in "Congrats to My Little Girl..." easy to follow?

Yes, the recipes in "Congrats to My Little Girl..." are designed to be simple and easy to follow, even for those with limited cooking experience. Each recipe includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to ensure a successful outcome.

3. Can I personalize "Congrats to My Little Girl..." with my daughter's name?

Unfortunately, "Congrats to My Little Girl..." is a pre-printed cookbook and cannot be personalized. However, you can add a handwritten note or message on the first page to make it more special for your daughter.

4. Are the recipes in "Congrats to My Little Girl..." suitable for all dietary restrictions?

While "Congrats to My Little Girl..." does include a variety of recipes, it may not cater to all dietary restrictions. We recommend checking the list of ingredients before preparing a recipe to ensure it meets your dietary needs.

5. Is "Congrats to My Little Girl..." only for daughters?

Although the title suggests that it's for daughters, "Congrats to My Little Girl..." can be enjoyed by anyone. The recipes and stories in the cookbook can be cherished by anyone who has a special relationship with a young girl in their life.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jenf
Replies
Views
cla519
  • cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies