• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Are the Legal Ways to Advertise a Small Business?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dos and don'ts of advertising for a new business, including options such as purchasing ads on a PC website, using billboards and door flyers, and leaving flyers in newspaper boxes. It also mentions the importance of not violating any federal laws, such as putting flyers in mailboxes. The conversation also shares personal experiences with advertising in local papers and offers suggestions for effective advertising techniques, such as using logo wear and catalog totes. The conversation ends with a cautionary tale about unintentionally violating advertising rules due to online versions of newspapers.
emiscookin
Hey everyone. As you all know I am new to the business and REALLY need to expand it!!

What are the things that I am allowed to do to advertise my business?

I understand I can't post on Craigslist or have a fan/group page on Facebook correct? I also understand that I can't put flyers in people's mailboxes because it's illegal. Someone mentioned putting them in the newspaper holder next to the mailbox, but could I get in trouble for that too??

Can I advertise in the newspaper?

Would love to hear from you and any clever ideas you have that have worked. Thanks! :)

In our policies online you can read the dos and don'ts but here are some basics. On our PC website Merrill has some ads we can purchase for ($3.25?) They are in a email format that you can send in to newspapers to put in their paper. These are made by the company with a variety of sayings. You can make your own to post in a paper, but you can only use pictures that are not copyrighted. That's why using merrill is the best choice.I have used advertising in my local paper several times. I usually got 2-3 bookings a month and I got a recruit from it! You can put your flyers in the paper boxes. The reason you can't in the mailbox is it's a federal offense. * billboards okay
* door flyers okay (find a company that puts these out for you- makes it easy. We have one in our town I'm going to use)
* business that will let you leave your information

lockhartkitchen said:
... I have used advertising in my local paper several times. I usually got 2-3 bookings a month and I got a recruit from it! ...

... as long as the paper doesn't offer an online version. I learned that lesson the hard way. I thought I was following all the rules for advertising in my local paper ... not one of the top 100 ... no web address, etc. Then I got a complaint from HO where someone had reported me. When I called, it took forever to figure out that it was because they offered the classifieds online that made it a violation. :(
I suggested that they add that clause to the advertising section of the Policy & procedures ... because I followed that section by the book! I had a true moron trying to help me because the "right" person was out of the office. So I'm not sure that the "right" person got the message relayed or if the "wrong" person ever really understood why someone would be confused.

Oh, but the moron did tell me that I could put an ad in the paper with my name & number and that would be okay ... as long as I didn't advertise what I sell. Hmmm, let's see ... I wonder what kind of calls that I would get off an ad like that??? I doubt it would be any potential PC customers, PC hosts or PC recruits! It would probably be a bunch of men looking for a good time. :(

Oh, that's funny. I can see it now:

I have great stuff to offer.
Call me.
Sheila Dacey
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Oh yeah, that would bring in the PC business. LOL!

Don't forget logo wear and the catalog tote. Even a catalog sticking out of your purse can work as a simple idea.

raebates said:
Oh, that's funny. I can see it now:

I have great stuff to offer.
Call me.
Sheila Dacey
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Oh yeah, that would bring in the PC business. LOL!

Oh, I'd have to make it more fun than THAT Rae! ...

Let's call all your friends over for a fun evening and you can earn stuff for free & at a discount! My hosts NEVER pay full price! :D name/number

LOL

Sheila said:
... as long as the paper doesn't offer an online version. I learned that lesson the hard way. I thought I was following all the rules for advertising in my local paper ... not one of the top 100 ... no web address, etc. Then I got a complaint from HO where someone had reported me. When I called, it took forever to figure out that it was because they offered the classifieds online that made it a violation. :(
I suggested that they add that clause to the advertising section of the Policy & procedures ... because I followed that section by the book! I had a true moron trying to help me because the "right" person was out of the office. So I'm not sure that the "right" person got the message relayed or if the "wrong" person ever really understood why someone would be confused.

Hmm...thanks for sharing that. I wonder if I tell the newspaper people not to post it online, will they?

emiscookin said:
Hmm...thanks for sharing that. I wonder if I tell the newspaper people not to post it online, will they?
I wouldn't bet on it. They aren't going to make a code modification for one person most likely. You can ask them if it is an option for you to NOT be listed online. They may have a way to leave it out entirely....just depends on the company. Can't hurt to ask.

Sheila said:
Oh, I'd have to make it more fun than THAT Rae! ...

Let's call all your friends over for a fun evening and you can earn stuff for free & at a discount! My hosts NEVER pay full price! :D name/number

LOL

Now THAT could get some interesting responses. :eek:

lockhartkitchen said:
In our policies online you can read the dos and don'ts but here are some basics. On our PC website Merrill has some ads we can purchase for ($3.25?) They are in a email format that you can send in to newspapers to put in their paper. These are made by the company with a variety of sayings. You can make your own to post in a paper, but you can only use pictures that are not copyrighted. That's why using merrill is the best choice.

Could you send me a link to that? I can't find it on the Merrill website. Thanks!

Sheila!!! Second career maybe??? I understand you can make a LOT OF MONEY that way! Could you imagine? Pull out a Baker's Roller and offer a message! Then give them a half priced item as the Happy Ending!

Ok, here's a conundrum - what about a "race car sponsorship" but it doesn't use the logo and it's just a script that says Pampered Chef by Laura and my phone number?

As long as it's local I don't see the problem, Laura.

Yep. Just a local little dirt track. LOL!! No Dale Earnhardt, Jr. or anything. HAHA!!

1. How can I advertise Pampered Chef products?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are allowed to advertise products using various methods such as social media, flyers, business cards, and local events. However, all advertisements must comply with the company's policies and guidelines.

2. Can I use the Pampered Chef logo in my advertisements?

Yes, you can use the Pampered Chef logo in your advertisements as long as it is used in accordance with the company's branding guidelines. This includes using the correct colors, font, and sizing.

3. Am I allowed to promote discounts or sales on Pampered Chef products?

Yes, you are allowed to promote discounts or sales on Pampered Chef products, but it must be done in compliance with the company's policies. This includes following the proper channels for promoting sales and not offering discounts that are not approved by the company.

4. Are there any restrictions on where I can advertise Pampered Chef products?

There are no specific restrictions on where you can advertise Pampered Chef products. However, it is important to ensure that your advertisements do not violate any local, state, or federal laws or regulations.

5. Can I use my own personal images or content in my Pampered Chef advertisements?

Yes, you can use your own personal images and content in your Pampered Chef advertisements as long as they comply with the company's policies and guidelines. This includes ensuring that the images and content are appropriate and do not violate any copyright laws.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pcnm2010
  • jengillette
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jordanleigh1743