• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has Anyone Had Their Basement Done

In summary, Owens-Corning is overpriced and you can get a similar system for less from local contractors.
cewcooks
I know this has nothing to do with PC but ned a little advise. We had a owens corning consultant/representative come to our house and give us an estimate on having our 330 sq ft townhouse basement finished and my husband and I felt so pressured to sign the cost a whopping $25K!! that was the second deal, the first estimate with their specials was $30K! That was w/o a bathroom, and he knocked the price down a little just to include a carpet! :grumpy:

So have any of you have your basement done and what approx cost did you pay and if you don't mind sharing what you had done...

Thanks in advance to all you fellow cheffers

We had an estimate done by them as well. They are way overpriced! As with any contract, I would get more estimates before making a final decision.

We would really like to use their system as well but you have to use specific contracrors and it is soooooo expensive!

Just a little FYI
Depending on what type of basement you have, if there is a flood, very little is covered.

that's ridiculous. There are plenty of out of work carpenters right now who would love to finish your basement for cash. I know my BIL would. That would probably be the best way to go.

What is this basement thing of which you write? :confused:

:)D J/K Basements are extremely rare in S. Calif.)

With all home improvements, we look for five or more bids from professionals.

All good wishes to you!

I don't have the ability to finish my basement but I know of neighbors that had their house jacked up over a foot and then put in a concrete floor and finished their basement and it cost 25K that was EVERYTHING. The houses in my neighborhood have maybe 7ft from the dirt floor to the rafters in the ceiling, stone walls etc. And they got everything done. Now at my house I had to replace a basement/foundation wall and it cost me $5300 to do that one wall.

We have never had ours done, but that price sounds RIDICULOUS!

I would check with a few local contractors, and ask for personal references, so you can speak to people who have used them, and maybe they will let you come visit and see what they had done...

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/1226617200

cewcooks said:
I know this has nothing to do with PC but ned a little advise. We had a owens corning consultant/representative come to our house and give us an estimate on having our 330 sq ft townhouse basement finished and my husband and I felt so pressured to sign the cost a whopping $25K!! that was the second deal, the first estimate with their specials was $30K! That was w/o a bathroom, and he knocked the price down a little just to include a carpet! :grumpy:

So have any of you have your basement done and what approx cost did you pay and if you don't mind sharing what you had done...

Thanks in advance to all you fellow cheffers

As a former mortgage consultant (aka Loan Officer) Townhouses are one type of housing that you will more than likely not see a profit on your investment when it comes to home improvements.- Now finishing a basement off, will obviously add value, but be careful not to over-improve. It won't matter if you have the bestest and prettiest house in the area, if all the other townhomes are going for $40K less- you won't get your money back.

So I would shop around- even ask local Realtors who they use when it comes to contractors- almost all of them know someone trustworthy that will give you a fair estimate.

I think just to put up sheet rock, tape and paint- $25K is a little steep. Does this include wiring and insulation?

HTH

We had ours done a few years ago and it was no where near that price and we have bathroom too. We had a regular carpenter do it with a drop sealing , carpet and tile in the bathroom and laundery room . My Dh painted the walls with a thick paint so we would not get water , we never do. then the walls went up over that so look into that . I would get another price

Kitchen Diva said:
I think just to put up sheet rock, tape and paint- $25K is a little steep. Does this include wiring and insulation?
The Owens-Corning system mentioned in the first post isn't drywall. It's a system of removeable moisture-resistant panels (I think fiberglass) that are installed on tracks. They can be removed to get to wiring, plumbing, and walls in case there's a problem. Owens-Corning markets it as a better alternative to drywall because there's no patching necessary if you need to take a section of wall down to make repairs.

IMO, the O-C system looks pre-fab. When DH and I partially finished the basement in our former home, we put up drywall for the ceiling, painted the cinderblock walls, and put down carpeting over pad designed for below-grade use (rubber pad with closed cells, basically). It looked fine. If you're worried about seepage, prime the walls with DryLock, or other moisture barrier paint. We used that in the small room that's under our front porch, and haven't had a drop of moisture in there yet.

Related to Has Anyone Had Their Basement Done

1. Can you recommend any specific contractors for basement renovations?

Unfortunately, as a representative for Pampered Chef, I am not qualified to recommend specific contractors for basement renovations. However, I can suggest reaching out to friends and family for referrals or searching online for highly rated contractors in your area.

2. How long does a typical basement renovation take?

The timeline for a basement renovation can vary depending on the scope of the project and any unforeseen issues that may arise. However, on average, a complete basement renovation can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

3. What are some common features to consider when renovating a basement?

Some common features to consider when renovating a basement include adding extra living space, creating a home office or gym, adding a bathroom, and improving storage options. It is also important to ensure proper insulation and waterproofing for a comfortable and dry living space.

4. How much should I budget for a basement renovation?

The cost of a basement renovation can vary greatly depending on the scope of the project and the materials used. On average, a complete basement renovation can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000. It is best to consult with a contractor for a more accurate estimate.

5. Are there any special permits or approvals needed for a basement renovation?

In most cases, a building permit is required for a basement renovation. It is important to check with your local government or contractor to ensure all necessary permits and approvals are obtained before starting the renovation process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cewcooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cewcooks
  • KellyTheChef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
simonsays
Back