• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should You Do If a Guest Stops Payment on a Cleared Check?

In summary, the check cleared the bank and then when the stop payment happened, the account was debited and they added a $10 fee. The person has already received their products ($50) and the host is out of ideas.
susan g
What do I do now?? The check cleared my bank and then when the stop payment happened, my account was debited plus they added a $10 fee. By the time I got the letter, not only had the show been submitted but this person already has her products ($50).

When I called her, she claimed to have no idea why there was a stop payment, said it must be a bank error. Possible but I doubt it... And said she would get me cash via the host right away. Now it has been almost 2 weeks and surprise, I still have no $$$. I sent a letter saying I need my money by the 13th at the latest (one more wk). but

what do I do next?

I feel pretty sure by next week she still won't have done anything.

If it was a bounced ck, I would just take it back to the bank but with this I'm afraid I may be stuck. Does the DA handle this kind of thing just like a bounced check?

Don't involve your host. This is not her problem nor is it any of her business.Offer to meet her halfway to get the money + the $10 fee.

Is she local... can you pay a visit to her house? Were you able to find out from the bank why the stop payment was placed. Usually when you place a stop payment you give a reason and that would be part of the record. Perhaps you could get a copy of it from your bank and armed with that, pay her a visit to pick up the cash. I'm out of ideas other than that... not sure who you'd contact about bounced checks.

I would take the check and a copy of the receipt to the bank. I know that you have to have a valid reason to stop payment. I think the bank may be able to put it through anyway since you have proof that she did business with you, and you have not been paid yet.

I hope it works out easily for you.

I didn't think you could stop payment once the check had been cashed.

pamperedlinda said:

I didn't think so either.

I would definitely call her or send her an e-mail or letter. Do you charge a fee for bounced checks? I've had this happen once, so I called them; and they said they'd send the money. Of course, nothing happened. Then I sent her a letter notifying her that I will be charging an additional $25 for bounced check fee. She didn't like that and immediately called and asked if I'd waive the fee. I told her she had until the end of the week, and the money seemed to arrive right on time.

pamperedlinda said:
She cashed it at her bank but then when it went to the guest's bank, it was showing as stop payment. So her bank wouldn't have known when they cleared it but only after they sent it back to the original bank.

wadesgirl said:
She cashed it at her bank but then when it went to the guest's bank, it was showing as stop payment. So her bank wouldn't have known when they cleared it but only after they sent it back to the original bank.
That makes more sense. The check was only deposited, not yet cleared.

DebbieJ said:
Don't involve your host. This is not her problem nor is it any of her business.

Offer to meet her halfway to get the money + the $10 fee.

I didn't involve the host, she did. She suggested sending me the money through her friend, the host and I agreed since it would mean that I get the money.

She doesn't live that close to me but I could meet her halfway. My concern is that she doesn't seem bothered at all by this situation which is basically stealing from me. I could see her as the type who would agree to meet me and then just not show up.

Being that I am a huge telephone baby, I really don't want to keep on calling. I want to do something big that will get results on the next try. I will call until I get results but I feel like calling hasn't been too effective so far. I just want this to be over with!

I didn't know that you had to give a reason to stop payment on a check so I will definately look into that.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

Have you explained to her that this came out of your pocket? There are a lot of people that do not realize that we pay PC for the products out of our own accounts.

You can involve the District Justice or Magistrate on this (the District Attorney (DA) is usually not involved). The customer stopped payment and has the goods. She must either pay for it or return the merchandise...unopened. I would call the DJ's office straight away to find out what needs to be done.
When you sent the letter did you send it with Return receipt to prove it was received? If not send a new one right away and it MUST have the return receipt, that is your proof that you attempted to send it.
I was caught up in an NSF situation that came days shy from falling into court. The person finally came up with the cash. But the DJ's office had certain protocol that had to be followed in order for me to get my money.
Best of luck with your situation and I hope this helps you!!

Yes, she knows. I sent a letter to her after my phone call and included a copy of the stop payment notice I got from the bank since she claims she has no idea how it happened. In the letter I mention that my family is out $60 because we are paying for the products she is using and that we need our money as soon as possible for our own expenses.

pampered.chris said:
You can involve the District Justice or Magistrate on this (the District Attorney (DA) is usually not involved). The customer stopped payment and has the goods. She must either pay for it or return the merchandise...unopened. I would call the DJ's office straight away to find out what needs to be done.
When you sent the letter did you send it with Return receipt to prove it was received? If not send a new one right away and it MUST have the return receipt, that is your proof that you attempted to send it.
I was caught up in an NSF situation that came days shy from falling into court. The person finally came up with the cash. But the DJ's office had certain protocol that had to be followed in order for me to get my money.
Best of luck with your situation and I hope this helps you!!

I did not send letter #1 return receipt because I wanted to try being nice (and cheap) at first. I do plan on sending the next letter in this way.

Just curious-how much did you have to spend on your NSF situation before it settled?

pamperedlinda said:

Depends on the bank. We did a stop payment on a check. The funds had cleared (withdrawn from our acct) in the meantime. Once the stop payment took effect, the money was deposited back to our acct.

susan g said:
I did not send letter #1 return receipt because I wanted to try being nice (and cheap) at first. I do plan on sending the next letter in this way.

Just curious-how much did you have to spend on your NSF situation before it settled?

I figure the phone call is the "nice" option, if they don't follow through it goes to Return Receipt/Certified letter..I have had a few NSF issues and learned that being nice means I wait longer for my money.

You can charge for NSF's up to $50 for an NSF fee. It is said it needs to be posted at your show what you will charge, I have a label sticker on my tri-fold and it isn't big letters, but it is veiwable that I charge $35. (my bank charges $30 if it bounces my account, thankfully that hasn't happened).

BUT, as far as how much this will cost you. Charge YOUR fee for it to cover your expenses. If it does go to court and you win, which you most likely will, the customer pays all court costs plus your fee!! So in the end, it shouldn't cost you anything but a headache!! :D

I really hope that makes you feel better!! :) I feel your anger at the situation. it is frustrating!!!

What is a "Guest Stopped Payment on Check"?

A "Guest Stopped Payment on Check" is a situation where a customer who has made a payment using a check has requested their bank to stop the payment from going through. This can happen for various reasons, such as insufficient funds, lost or stolen checks, or disputes over the purchase.

What should I do if a guest has stopped payment on a check for their purchase?

If a guest has stopped payment on a check for their purchase, you should first try to contact the guest to resolve the issue. If the issue cannot be resolved with the guest, you can contact your bank to see if they can assist in recovering the funds. Additionally, you may need to report the incident to the authorities as it could be considered a form of check fraud.

Can I still deliver the products to the guest if their check has been stopped?

In most cases, it is not advisable to deliver the products to the guest if their check has been stopped. This is because there is a high likelihood that the check will not be honored, and you may end up losing both the products and the payment. It is best to wait until the issue has been resolved before delivering the products.

Will I be charged any fees if a guest stops payment on a check?

Depending on your bank and the specific circumstances, you may be charged a fee for a guest stopping payment on a check. This fee is usually to cover the cost of processing the check and any additional administrative work that may be required. It is best to check with your bank for their specific policies on this matter.

How can I prevent guests from stopping payment on checks?

To prevent guests from stopping payment on checks, it is important to verify the authenticity of the check and the guest's identity before accepting it as a form of payment. You can also consider using alternative payment methods, such as credit cards or online payments, which are more secure and less prone to issues like stopped payments. Additionally, providing exceptional customer service and addressing any concerns or issues promptly can help prevent guests from resorting to drastic measures like stopping payments on checks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • babywings76