• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Garmin Gps Update...have to Pay??

In summary, the new Map Update 2009 for North America is a $69.99 software update that offers full coverage for the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. This update includes updated, fully routable, detailed maps, nearly 6 million points of interest, and postal code support for Canada.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Here is a portion of an email I received the other day. Does anyone know if this is the only way to get the maps updated? DH and I were under the impression that the company updated via satelittes about every two years, and that you didn't have to PAY unless you were getting an "upgrade" on services....

Garmin is pleased to announce the new Map Update 2009 for North America. For the most up-to-date maps and navigation on your portable Garmin GPS unit, this is the software you want. This $69.99 update offers full coverage for the U.S, Canada and Puerto Rico - making it easy and convenient to update the detailed maps and latest points of interest into your compatible Garmin unit.

The update includes:

Over 8 million miles of road coverage
Updated, fully routable, detailed maps for the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
Nearly 6 million points of interest
Postal code support for Canada
Purchase the Map Update 2009 today!

Thanks if you can help!!

It's essentially a software update, not unlike moving from Acrobat 5 to Acrobat 6, or upgrading to a new version of Word. They all charge for map updates.You don't have to buy it, but you might be sailing along a road one day while your Garmin shows you doing a baja across a field, complaining about returning to the road. Not buying the upgrade will, eventually, be like driving cross country with a gas station map from 1956.

Yep, you have to pay.

GGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Neither of us knew about that. Makes sense, though...they want to keep making $$ off of you!

Almost 1/3 of the purchase price seems steep to me, though!

we were aware of that as well.

Sorry Kelly!!! Does anyone know if they do the updates annually?

KellyTheChef said:
GGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Neither of us knew about that. Makes sense, though...they want to keep making $$ off of you!

Almost 1/3 of the purchase price seems steep to me, though!
Once you sign your consultant agreement and get your kit, you don't expect TPC to just send you new products, it's the same with any company. They have a staff that works on improving the products and building new maps, those people aren't volunteering their time.

Software maintenance has been an issue as long as there has been software - so this is really nothing new.

Actually, upgrading for about 1/3 of the purchase price isn't bad. Software is the most expensive part of any system because it's the most labor intensive.

Well, TPC does not send us new products for free but they do send us the updated software for free.

Kelly, if I had a GPS I would be aggravated about having to spend that to updates the maps too when it is navigated by satelite I would think they would just update their satelites and that they make enough from sales to cover the updates.

jrstephens said:
Well, TPC does not send us new products for free but they do send us the updated software for free.

Kelly, if I had a GPS I would be aggravated about having to spend that to updates the maps too when it is navigated by satelite I would think they would just update their satelites and that they make enough from sales to cover the updates.
I agree, mostly.

And TPC DOES send us new products for free too! It's the bonus for sales at certain times but it's still free.

This is why we don't yet have a GPS - looks like a money pit to me. I understand that they should be able to charge something to pay for the technology but 1/3 of the purchase price it way too much IMHO. Personally I think they should GIVE purchasers upgrades for at least a couple of years or at least tell them up CLEARLY upfront what the additional costs are estimated to be.

Yes, you have to pay. You should've gotten a TomTom. Map upgrades are free :D

bsaxman said:
Yes, you have to pay. You should've gotten a TomTom. Map upgrades are free :D

That is good to know, we were considering getting a GPS, but didn't know which ones are the best.

BethCooks4U said:
I agree, mostly.

And TPC DOES send us new products for free too! It's the bonus for sales at certain times but it's still free.

This is why we don't yet have a GPS - looks like a money pit to me. I understand that they should be able to charge something to pay for the technology but 1/3 of the purchase price it way too much IMHO. Personally I think they should GIVE purchasers upgrades for at least a couple of years or at least tell them up CLEARLY upfront what the additional costs are estimated to be.
Always remember TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

TPC products are not exactly free because you have to earn them. The cost involved is not monetary but it is still a cost.

I don't believe that Tom Tom offers free maps forever. Maybe you get free upgrades for X months after you purchase, but a quick visit to their site shows they're offering a 30% discount on purchasing maps - so I'm a little skeptical about free maps from them.

Some GPS can have free updates, as the Tom Tom, but they are also more expensive up front, but offers less hassle and in the long run are cheaper than the ones that need to be updated by software.

From what I'm told, they recommend updating the GPS systems every two years.

twinkie10 said:
Some GPS can have free updates, as the Tom Tom, but they are also more expensive up front, but offers less hassle and in the long run are cheaper than the ones that need to be updated by software.

From what I'm told, they recommend updating the GPS systems every two years.

We just got one for both mine and DH's parents, on sale at bestbuy for $229.00, and it was the text-to-speech verson. As far as I know the upgrades are free forever (at least thats what we were told!)

Related to Garmin Gps Update...have to Pay??

1. Can I update my Garmin GPS for free?

No, unfortunately Garmin charges for their GPS updates. However, they do offer a one-time free map update within 90 days of purchasing a new device.

2. How much does it cost to update a Garmin GPS?

The cost of a Garmin GPS update varies depending on the type of device and the type of update you are looking for. Generally, updates range from $50 to $150.

3. How often do I need to update my Garmin GPS?

It is recommended to update your Garmin GPS at least once a year to ensure you have the latest maps, routes, and points of interest. However, if you frequently travel or rely on your GPS for navigation, it is recommended to update every 3-6 months.

4. Do I have to pay for updates if I have a lifetime subscription?

If you have purchased a device with a "Lifetime Maps" subscription, you will not have to pay for map updates for the life of your device. However, this does not include software or feature updates, which may require additional fees.

5. Can I update my Garmin GPS without a computer?

No, in order to update your Garmin GPS, you will need a computer with an internet connection. You will also need to download and install the Garmin Express software to complete the update process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefpenny99
Back