• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring the Iconic Mackinac Bridge

In summary, KG likes bridges and has a few favorite ones. He also admires the skill it takes to build bridges.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
Hey KG, I accidently clicked on the link to your profile instead of the cold weather thread, and stumbled across your bridge album (nice pictures, BTW). I love bridges too, and thoiught I'd share a couple of my favourites.

The first one is the Clifton Suspension Bridge, in Bristol, England, where I went to university. It is the world's first suspension bridge, and it is beautiful. I used to live just down the road from it and we'd often walk over it for hikes. I miss living there... Sigh...

The Clifton Suspension Bridge

The second was built when I was a kid, in my home town of Hull, England. When it was built it was the world's longest single span suspension bridge. It was pretty amazing seeing it built, and I still love to visit it when I go home to see my folks. It is also beautiful.

http://www.humberbridge.co.uk/

Another favourite is the new Maumee River Crossing in Toledo, which we often drive over en route to Michigan. It is a very cool bridge!

Veterans' Glass City Skyway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This web-site doesn't have great pictures though.

And one last favourite - after living in MI for 7 years, the Macinac Bridge, of course! One of these years, I'll do the walk across it...

Last edited:
Here's Lucas County, Ohio on the Bridge Hunter website, with several of the Maumee River crossings, including the new one that (I think) is open now, replacing the troublesome bascule bridge. Bridge Hunters Lucas CountyThe Bridge Hunter website has thousands of pictures of US Bridges.

That's a cool web-site, I'm going to have to check it out some more. It shows the new Maumee Crossing partly built. It has been finished for a while, but it is a neat picture.

It always amazes me how they build bridges... If I ever go back to school, I would love to study civil engineering. I think I did the wrong degree first time around - oops!

Here is a link with better pictures than the first one I posted... It really is an impressive bridge.

I-280 Maumee River Crossing, OH - Road Traffic Technology

KG, if you ever get the chance to visit the UK there are some really interesting old bridges!

KG has perfect new luggage for such a trip, too. ;)(He knows the bag to which I refer.)The ancient structures in Europe, whether they're bridges, aqueducts or buildings, always amaze me. Especially when they're still in use.

Annie - you are such the dare-devil!! Those first 2 are downright scarey! And there's no way I'd go across that one that's in the clouds!

pamperedlinda said:
Annie - you are such the dare-devil!! Those first 2 are downright scarey! And there's no way I'd go across that one that's in the clouds!

Don't be too impressed Linda, it's really not that high. Those clouds are just VERY low lying... British weather at it's best... :)

Related to Exploring the Iconic Mackinac Bridge

1. What is the history behind the Mackinac Bridge?

The Mackinac Bridge was completed in 1957 and connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. It is currently the fifth longest suspension bridge in the world and has become an iconic landmark for the state.

2. Can visitors walk or bike across the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there is an annual event called the Mackinac Bridge Walk where pedestrians are allowed to walk across the bridge. Bicycles are also permitted during the event, but are not allowed on the bridge at any other time for safety reasons.

3. Is there a toll to cross the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there is a toll for vehicles to cross the Mackinac Bridge. The current toll for cars is $4.00, with additional fees for larger vehicles.

4. Are there any activities or attractions near the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are several activities and attractions near the Mackinac Bridge. This includes Mackinaw City and St. Ignace, which offer shopping, dining, and ferry rides to Mackinac Island. There are also parks and trails near the bridge for hiking and biking.

5. Can visitors take a tour of the Mackinac Bridge?

Yes, there are guided tours available for visitors to learn more about the construction and history of the Mackinac Bridge. These tours are offered by the Mackinac Bridge Authority and require reservations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy