• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Preschool Beneficial for Children with Speech Apraxia and Autistic Traits?

In summary, Evan has been in speech therapy since June for Speech Apraxia with autistic traits. He has now been accepted into an integrated preschool where he will attend three days a week and have weekly speech therapy sessions. On his first day, he had a great time and even got to ride home on the "yeeyow" school bus. His ex-mother-in-law is his bus driver, which is a great thing. Kelly is very grateful for all the ways God has answered her prayers in this situation. She wanted to share this good news with other parents who would understand her excitement. Some other parents also shared their own experiences with preschool and speech delays, expressing hope and encouragement for Evan's progress.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Some of you know that Evan is still not talking like he should be. He has been in speech therapy since June, and is currently diagnosed with Speech Apraxia with autistic traits. They are watching his social development, now to see if he is autisitic, or if he just does some autistic things.

FINALLY, on Thursday, the school district had me come back in for a meeting. We have been working on getting him into the integrated preschool, so he can be in with 3-5 year olds...some with disabilities, some functioning where they should be. They accepted him! Thank you, Lord!

Today, he went for his first day of preschool! He will be in 3 days a week, and have at least one 30 minute session with a speech therapist each week. (Up to now, he has been going to speech once a week at a nearby therapy place.) He was such a good boy today and loved school and riding home on the big "yeeyow" (aka yellow) school bus! God's hand has been on this situation, too! The bus garage told me the wrong time for pickup (said 12:30, should have been 11:30) so we weren't home. God knew that *I* needed to take him in for his first day! Then...on the way home riding the school bus, his bus driver is actually my ex-MIL! (This is a GREAT THING...she is a wonderful lady and I trust her fully!) Sooooo many ways today, God answered prayer! He has it all in His hands, thankfully!

Just wanted to share a PRAISE item with all of you!

Sorry I haven't been on much, I have just been super busy!

Thanks for letting me share!! I knew there are a bunch of mommies (and daddies!) on here that would understand my super excitement over this!!!

That is so great Kelly! Good luck with all you are dealing with right now! Pre-K did wonders for my DD. She didn't have any issues like Evan but just didn't seem comfortable in a social setting. She has matured so much, teachers are a wonderful gift that truly shape this world by helping our children!

That is great Kelly. I am sure it will prove to be very helpful for him!

Kelly, that is awesome! I'm sure he will have tons of fun at school. That is so great that your ex-MIL was the bus driver, and that the other things fell intoplace too. I hope the speech therapy works out and the autistic "symptoms" just fade away as he spends more time in school developing social skills.

Keep praying!! :)

I AM so glad things are going well for you, lets pray they keep on going.....:)

So glad Evan is in preschool - it will hopefully do wonders for him. My DS is in speech too - I forgot what the technical term is, but he speaks with the front of his mouth instead of using the entire mouth which makes him say a lot of sounds incorrectly (frontal velar or something like that) - for yellow he says yewwow. We had a scary bus incident on his first day riding the bus home from school too (I take him in the am) the school put him on the WRONG bus! Scared the bejeebers out of me when he didn't get off with our neighbor. He was fine after it was all over with. Told me that he needed a cell phone so he could call me if it ever happened again....LMAO.....I don't have to worry about that happening anymore!

That is terrific Kelly!

Woohoo!!:sing: I'm thrilled for you guys! My oldest had some speech issues & the integrated Pre-K was a HUGE help! We kept him in the integrated program through 2nd grade (when we moved to Germany) then put him in the mainstream classes...now he's off his IEP, has A's & B's & is doing amazing! Hope the integrated program works as well for you guys!;)

Hope it goes well for you!! My twins have a speech delay and have been in an Early Childhood preschool since they were 3. The boys go 4 afternoons and go to speech 2 times a week for 1 hour!! You will be amazed at the difference that he has!!

I hope it works out for you! My DS has speech delays, also, and I am currently trying to get him into special needs preschool. My biggest dilemma right now is that I think he will be eligible while his twin sister will not. She was singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star with our speech therapist last week, and the therapist just looked at her and said, "Don't sing for the preschool evaluation team, OK, Alia?" :)

So Kelly, did you cry?

janetupnorth said:
So Kelly, did you cry?
LOL

My DH told me I was nuts for putting him on a bus at three years old. He said he bawled his eyes out with both Brittney and Sean on their first day of school, and they were closer to six. He said he could never put Evan on a bus at three. Then, I started thinking I made the wrong decision and was all worried. Nope! Evan LOVES the "bee boo" (big bus)

To answer your question...I did cry a bit when I was driving away from the school yesterday, but I just prayed that God would help him to feel secure and to understand that he would be coming home soon! His speech therapist was actually in the room yesterday, and she kind of took him under her wing and stayed with him. I was there for about 10 minutes at the beginning of class, and any time his attention shifted to me and he started whining a bit, she diverted his attention back to what they were doing. She did GREAT with him...perfect timing (again, thanks God!) that she is in the room on Mondays!

Thankfully, I didn't "lose it" completely! I think I am MORE excited about him getting more help than I am upset that he is growing up so fast!

Thanks, Kelly, for giving me hope about keeping it together. If my kids get into preschool, my biggest fear is that I am going to break down when I have to leave them there, and it is going to make it worse for them. So thanks for the hope!

Kelly~That is great!! I'm sure it'll help him to be around other kids & having another teacher figure! A friend of mine's little boy has done wonders in speech class!! Preschool is something I always thought I wouldn't bother doing, but my kids asked when they could go to school. My oldest begged me when he was 4, so he went. And since he went, my middle went too...my youngest will definately go. I ask the teacher regularly if she can start now (she'll be 2 in May!! hehe)

Jean~as long as you keep it together with them, when you get out to the car, or once the bus pulls away, then you break down!! I thought I'd be fine when my oldest went on the bus for the first time, but as I walked up the driveway (to get in the van so I could follow the bus) I LOST it!!!! It just hit me......BUT, he was so excited about it all!!!!

God has angels everywhere, I'm glad the ex MIL is one in your case Kelly.

Kelly... I just got DS qualified for speech therapy and in Preschool too. It can be a frustrating road trying to get them where they need to be. We had out first day last week. It was hard on mom since he is one of the youngest in the class but all will be well.
Keep being an advocate for your little people. I feel it is one of my most important jobs!

Last edited:
Oh Kelly, I am glad so many things worked out for you and Evan. I will pray that this will help him and you and that he will continue to ove it! I know as a parent, we worry ourselves sick over our children.

1. What is "Evan's First Day of Preschool!" about?

"Evan's First Day of Preschool!" is a children's book that follows the main character, Evan, as he experiences his first day of preschool. It highlights the emotions and challenges that come with starting school and teaches valuable lessons about bravery and overcoming fears.

2. What age range is this book appropriate for?

This book is best suited for children ages 3-5 years old. However, it can also be enjoyed by older children who are starting preschool or want to relive their first day of school.

3. Is this book available in different formats?

Yes, "Evan's First Day of Preschool!" is available in both paperback and eBook formats. The eBook version is perfect for reading on electronic devices, while the paperback version is great for reading aloud and flipping through the colorful illustrations.

4. Are there any activities or discussion questions included in the book?

Yes, "Evan's First Day of Preschool!" includes interactive activities and discussion questions at the end of the book. These can be used to further engage children and spark conversations about their own first day of school experiences.

5. Can this book be used in a classroom setting?

Absolutely! "Evan's First Day of Preschool!" is a great addition to any classroom library. It can be used as a tool to help students prepare for their first day of school, learn about emotions, and practice social skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies