• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Empowering Elderly Cooking: Recipe Ideas & Product Focus for My Grandma's Show

In summary, My Grandma is having a show to help me out and I am expecting most of her guests will be elderly. I have been doing this for over a year and she has refused to have a show until now because she says none of her friends will buy anything because they are old and they already have everything. I finally talked her into it because I NEED to have a show! I am in a slump. Anyway, what products should I focus on? Any ideas for recipes that would be helpful for elderly people cooking for one or two that would be easy to
Tanya423
My Grandma is having a show to help me out and I am expecting most of her guests will be elderly. I have been doing this for over a year and she has refused to have a show until now because she says none of her friends will buy anything because they are old and they already have everything. I finally talked her into it because I NEED to have a show! I am in a slump. Anyway, what products should I focus on? Any ideas for recipes that would be helpful for elderly people cooking for one or two that would be easy to demeonstrate? Any ideas would be great!!!! Thanks!

I did a show with mostly elderly women a couple months ago and it was a $1000 show! I didn't really do anything different. Just be prepared--they will all be on time and they will sit quietly and listen to your presentation. It was a little eery. :eek:

i had an elderly lady at one of my shows and she was interested in the samller stuff, and loved the new design on the peeler. easier on the hands

as for the recipe i would have some made ahead, so there is enough to go around but make a single serving of something in one of the mini bakers

just a though :)

dont forget they have gifts to buy as well and usually start early

Don't forget the jar opener !!!

I think the Easier Opener would do good too.

But I would not just push products for the "older" crowd b/c they may not like being treated differently. Just a thought!

I would play a points game with finding stuff in their purses. We just did this at my church last night and everyone loved it. I am thinking of doing that at my shows next.

My mother-in-law is 72, and has told me that, she is looking to get rid of stuff, that she has no need or desire to "re-stock" her kitchen. I totally get that, so, when I'm at her house, I try to "observe" things, then choose PC items that I think she'd enjoy. (they're always gifts to her, as she's totally awesome, and I just can't take her money!! So...when she's watched my kids, or the dog, it's kind of a "thank you"...)

Anyway, I gave her a Food Chopper, and now she wonders what she ever did without it! Absolutely loves it!!

I also gave her a Large Grooved Cutting board. A couple of years later, she had a car accident, where she broke her knee cap and had to have surgery. While recuperating, she actually used this cutting board as a "writing desk", believe it or not!! It's large size worked great for that!!

I agree, the older crowd is not necessarily "fragile". Some are, some aren't. Many may look for things for themselves, but many are looking for gifts. One Consultant I know had a show with a senior, in August, as a matter of fact, and this hostess actually used all of the host benefits to do her Christmas shopping!! What a clever idea!!

I don't think I'd focus on stoneware, other than the small ones, as many, as is the case with my dear mother-in-law, find them to be too heavy.

Lighter weight, I'd suggest! Things like....

Food Chopper
Cutting Boards
Colander/Bowl Set
Can Strainer
Can Opener
Easy opener
Jar Opener
Chillzanne Rectangle Server
Micro-cookers
Scraper Collection
I-slice
Mix 'N Chop
Ice Cream Dipper
Easy Read Measuring Cups
Prep bowls
Small Saute' Pan
Heart Trivet
Pantry collection
Mini Muffin Pan
Tart Shaper

Also, if you want to encourage "gift purchases", you may want to take some time and create groupings of things that go together,and offer them at a special price...maybe deduct 10%? It would cost you a little out-of-pocket, but it may cause the show to be higher, too, so it may be worth it. If you go this route, I'd suggest you offer a variety of prices to choose from, so you can "tap into" several different budgets!! (Don't be shy about offering a $100 price set, either, as someone there may be looking for a special shower or wedding or birthday, or even Christmas gift!!)

I wish you the best!! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!

Paula Lewis
Wave 2....Can't wait!!

I have sold quite a few sets of the prep bowls for making individual jello, pudding, etc. Also the microcookers are good for cooking in the microwave for smaller portion sized meals.

JoLynn

Paula's post said exactly what I was going to say - same list of products, too!

Definitely show how to make small dishes quickly and easily, and gift items are great to promote, too.

Just a note - my cousin's grandmother came to her show (she's 95!) and ordered the professional saute pan, can opener, jar opener and some other things for HERSELF - she spent over $100!! So, don't prejudge - treat it just like another show, and ask your grandmother what products she likes or wants to hear more about and go from there (just like you would with any host). Good luck!

I don't know when your show is/was but make sure you mention the wedding registry too!! someone's favorite granddaughter is sure to be getting married at some point and grandmas are always on the look out for stuff like that to pass on!

Here is a list that the group came up with a while ago for "older" people. I'm also attaching a "dorm survival list" as many of them may have children in college or moving into their first apt.

I would be careful on selling them anythign but the mini-stoneware if it is for their own use as the stoneware is heavy. The mini-baker, small round, etc are all good for reheats and small meals but the large stones and bakers may be too heavy for them.

Attachments

• Terrific Gifts for Seniors or Arthritis Sufferers.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Dorm Room Survival Guide.doc
    662.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Terrific Gifts for Seniors or Arthritis Sufferers.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Dorm Room Survival Guide_pdf.pdf
    153.4 KB · Views: 276
don't forget to mention ideas for holiday gifts- a lot of the elderly do not like getting out in the crowds at that time of year but still want to buy gifts for children, grandkids, etc. To make it simple, suggest getting all the girls in her family the xx(whatever-oven mitt, etc.) and all the guys the xx(bbq tongs, etc.)

See my thread about my 88 yr old host.
I did a Trifle - and they LOVED it! Sold 2 Trifle Bowls......seems most of them don't do a lot of cooking anymore, but they love being able to make a pretty dessert that is easy to transport to family gatherings/Sr. Potlucks, etc......

Also - the 8" Saute Pan, and the Cooks Tools Small Spatula were a big hit, as well as the Microfiber Towel. The mini spatula, the Silicone Scrapers.......and the Bamboo Tools. I had the Going Going Gone brochure in each Guest Folder, and they were really interested in getting the Bamboo before it is restyled and goes up in price.

I did a show with a lot of older women and I had all of them bring the ugliest wooden spoon they owned. It was so funny the spoons they brought. I then had everyone vote for the worst and bought the winner a new set of spoons. It was a great ice breaker. I got the idea off an old Pampered Chef training tape. You could also give out a smaller prize.
Also, try to let them know it is not to early to start shopping for Christmas presents. The show I did closed at over $700 by letting them know to think about Christmas and up coming birthdays. Good luck.

What is the purpose of "Empowering Elderly Cooking: Recipe Ideas & Product Focus for My Grandma's Show"?

The purpose of the show is to provide recipe ideas and product recommendations specifically tailored for elderly individuals, to help them continue enjoying cooking and preparing meals in their golden years.

What types of recipes will be featured on the show?

The show will feature a variety of recipes that are easy to prepare and use simple, familiar ingredients. These may include slow cooker meals, one-pan dishes, and comfort foods that are perfect for seniors.

How will this show benefit my elderly loved one?

This show will provide valuable resources and tips for cooking and meal preparation for elderly individuals, helping them maintain their independence and enjoyment of cooking. It may also introduce them to new products that can make cooking easier and more enjoyable.

What types of products will be recommended on the show?

The show will showcase a range of products from Pampered Chef that are specifically designed to make cooking easier and more accessible for elderly individuals. These may include ergonomic utensils, kitchen appliances, and meal prep tools.

Can I watch this show with my elderly loved one?

Absolutely! This show is meant to be enjoyed by both elderly individuals and their loved ones. It can be a fun and educational activity to watch together, and you may even pick up some new tips and tricks for cooking and meal prep.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• flemings99
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Karen
  • AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
mspibb
Replies