• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Homemade Beneighs: A Delicious Donut Treat from the South

New Orleans. ;)If you go to cafedumonde.com, you can order the mix. I buy it at Walmart but yours may not carry it.I was going to suggest going to their website.
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
Hey everyone..My husband has fond memories of Beneighs ( i think i'm spelling it correctly....almost like a donught thingy --that is deep fried..)

Anyway, I'm trying to look online where i can find recipes to make them..or even buy some pre-made mix for them..and NO SUCCESS..

Anyone at all have a clue??

smilesarepriceless said:
Hey everyone..My husband has fond memories of Beneighs ( i think i'm spelling it correctly....almost like a donught thingy --that is deep fried..)

Anyway, I'm trying to look online where i can find recipes to make them..or even buy some pre-made mix for them..and NO SUCCESS..

You mean beignets?

I saw a little machine somewhere that made mini-beignets......fried them, too. I can't remember where I saw it, though!

They are the best!!! Cafe du Monde in New Orleans serves them up (or at least did before Hurricane Katrina)- maybe try there online- I think once you find the correct spelling (wish I could help you there!) you'll find the recipe.

Good luck and enjoy!

well, we're making progress..I found in a google search the spelling I had..but it wasn't looking to promising..Your spelling :> is bringing up at least ' recipe' ish sites..

:> I'll get there eventually..THANKS!

smilesarepriceless said:

Hi Heather-
My favorite online recipe stop is www.allrecipes.com:chef:. They have three recipes there, all with good reviews. The word is spelled beignets (though, you might find it as benets on other sites).

Hope this helps :love:-

Sarah

smilesarepriceless said:
well, we're making progress..I found in a google search the spelling I had..but it wasn't looking to promising..Your spelling :> is bringing up at least ' recipe' ish sites..

:> I'll get there eventually..THANKS!

My spelling is correct..I'm a French teacher. ;)

leftymac said:
My spelling is correct..I'm a French teacher. ;)

Definitelly correct then. :thumbup:

Your spelling is correct. I'm familiar with the dessert. :)

Lancelot, Galahad and Gawaine went to Camelot because they wanted to benights.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Lancelot, Galahad and Gawaine went to Camelot because they wanted to benights.

:) :p :chef: :D

You crack me up. Your posts often make me laugh!!!

cookingwithkelly said:
They are the best!!! Cafe du Monde in New Orleans serves them up (or at least did before Hurricane Katrina)- maybe try there online- I think once you find the correct spelling (wish I could help you there!) you'll find the recipe.Good luck and enjoy!
http://www.cafedumonde.com/ appears to be open.http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html: Beignets
Beignets were also brought to Louisiana by the Acadians. These were fried fritters, sometimes filled with fruit. Today, the beignet is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar. They are served in orders of three.(Psst! Follow the link. They tell you how to make them.)

Love them!!! check out Foodnetwork.com and type in beignets and see what pops up!

I used to have pilots bring these back for me when they'd fly into New Ohlans (Orleans) as they'd say... VERY yummy!

If you would like Heather, I could go to Meijer (kinda like a super Walmart, but way better) and buy you beignet mix. I bought the exact same mix when I was in New Orleans at Leadership back in 1995. They are soooooo yummy! Let me know because I will be going there this weekend. I can check the price out and then PM you with it if you would like.

If you go to cafedumonde.com, you can order the mix. I buy it at Walmart but yours may not carry it.

I think it comes oin a blue box at Kroger and Walmart (I think I find them near the hushpuppy mixes)

We make "fry bread" at camp every Saturday night...it used to be called Squaw bread but since we are close to too many Indian Reservations and I guess the word "Squaw" is derogatory for them, we have to call it fry bread.

RebelChef said:
If you go to cafedumonde.com, you can order the mix. I buy it at Walmart but yours may not carry it.

I was going to suggest going to their website. Our family went there years ago, & I remember my mom bringing home some mix.

Kitchen Diva said:
Love them!!! check out Foodnetwork.com and type in beignets and see what pops up!

I used to have pilots bring these back for me when they'd fly into New Ohlans (Orleans) as they'd say... VERY yummy!

I hate to correct you, but the name of the city is one word with two syllables - just barely two syllables: Nawlins.

janetupnorth said:
We make "fry bread" at camp every Saturday night...it used to be called Squaw bread but since we are close to too many Indian Reservations and I guess the word "Squaw" is derogatory for them, we have to call it fry bread.

Squaw is another word for a female's "whoo-whoo"...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I hate to correct you, but the name of the city is one word with two syllables - just barely two syllables: Nawlins.

You wouldn't be correcting me, you'd be correcting the pilots that pronounced it that way to me. ;) That's just what they'd say to me when they came back with those yummy treats! :) I was like- Ooooo!!!! Where did you get these? And they'd say New Ohlans... (maybe it was their Maryland accent, who knows)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
http://www.cafedumonde.com/ appears to be open.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html: Beignets
Beignets were also brought to Louisiana by the Acadians. These were fried fritters, sometimes filled with fruit. Today, the beignet is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar. They are served in orders of three.

(Psst! Follow the link. They tell you how to make them.)

Cafe du Monde is open, I was in New Orleans during the hurricane and enjoyed some beignets from there before I moved in Feb 2006... Love their beignets, nothing like 'em!:love:

janetupnorth said:

Kitchen Diva said:
Squaw is another word for a female's "whoo-whoo"...

Welllllll, not really.

The origins of this borrowed word are in the Algonquin language, the root word does, in fact, mean "woman." Like many words that get misused by people who have no idea what they're talking about, for the most part, "squaw" has been accepted for nearly 400 years to mean "woman." (Another example is "schmooze," a wonderful Yiddish word that is taking on a meaning of its own in popular culture than nothing to do with the word's real meaning. The true meaning of schmooze is a nice conversation by two people, usually over coffee and has nothing to do with confidence or pulling one over on people, but I digress.)

The controversy was started when a Native American activist appeared on on Oprah Winfrey's show in 1973 and added this incorrect definition to the word.

You can read the whole story here.

Making me miss Cafe Du Monde. One of my favorite places to go is Cafe Du Monde for Cafe Au Lait and Beignets. I am not quite a native but Nawlins was my home for 14 years including before and after Katrina.

Dez, you need a longer name. Your title block doesn't quite fill my entire screen.:D

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Dez, you need a longer name. Your title block doesn't quite fill my entire screen.

:D

I already had it fixed today. :)

Related to Discover Homemade Beneighs: A Delicious Donut Treat from the South

What ingredients are needed to make Homemade Beneighs?

To make Homemade Beneighs, you will need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, active dry yeast, salt, milk, butter, eggs, and vegetable oil for frying.

How do I shape the dough for Homemade Beneighs?

To shape the dough for Homemade Beneighs, roll it out onto a floured surface and cut it into small squares. Then, pinch the corners of each square together to create a triangular shape.

Can I make Homemade Beneighs ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the dough for Homemade Beneighs ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, let the dough come to room temperature before shaping and frying.

What is the best way to serve Homemade Beneighs?

Homemade Beneighs are best served warm and fresh out of the fryer. You can top them with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or your favorite glaze for an extra delicious treat.

Are Homemade Beneighs difficult to make?

While making Homemade Beneighs may seem intimidating, they are actually quite easy to make with the right recipe and instructions. Just be sure to follow the recipe closely and allow enough time for the dough to rise.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
kdangel518
Replies
Views
baychef
  • cmdtrgd
  • Buy and Sell Items