• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Detroit's Spirit: Sports Traditions in a City of Champions

In summary, the statue in front of Comerica Park is being dressed in a Red Wings jersey to celebrate the team's Stanley Cup victory. There is also a tradition of throwing octopi on the ice during playoff games.
I need to go to TJ's. mmm... calamari... I went to Meijer today - half expected to run into you and you mom. :)

HA! We did GFS and TJ's today... Friday morning will be Meijer! ;)

Tomorrow's Kroger day for me (grapes are on sale), and maybe a run to TJ's. Hopefully, tomorrow will be game-winning-hangover recovery day. :)

Some octopus love for the game:
http://image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.28530462.jpg

http://image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.27545798.jpghttp://image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.27371897.jpg
He's for sale

Yeah!!He shoots he scores!!

For those of you who are not watching the game, here's the recap:

WOOHOO!!!

WOOHOO!!!

CRAP!

Or better said:

Goals by Detroit: 2
Goals by Pittsburgh: 1
Drinks by Jean: 0

oooohhhh.... only 2 minutes left....

awwww..... CRAP!

WINGS WIN!!!

Newsflash:Sales of calimari and squid plummet. Commercial fishing operations forced to lay off hundreds.Details at 11...

And for all of you in the neighboring states who wondered what the loud noise was coming from Michigan, it was the entire state going

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

with .4 seconds left when we though it may all go south...

WooHoo!

What a night to have a 10 to 11 pm conference call. And too bad the leader never called in. :(The crowd in the stands looked less than thrilled that the Wings won.

Very Very Very Happy this morning on Snowshoe Circle!!!!!

chefann said:
The crowd in the stands looked less than thrilled that the Wings won.

That what my DH and I were thinking too...did they play at Joe Lewis Arena? We were at TGI Fridays and I was trying to read the name of the arena...but couldn't.

DH is from Detroit...so ANY team from there is the best!:love: I missed the final score. I just saw the replay over and over with the goalie that sat on the puck and it ended up a goalie...I felt bad for him. Of course, my DH said "that's the game!"

They were in Pittsburgh last night. There was a LOT of celebrating last night, but from the reports on the news this morning, people were well-behaved. The championship shirts are in stores already. :D

finley1991 said:
Very Very Very Happy this morning on Snowshoe Circle!!!!!
Better than Wisteria Way?

chefann said:
The championship shirts are in stores already. :D
That's because they were all printed a month ago.

The Pittsburgh championship shirts are on their way to several third world markets, where they will be sold for next to nothing. Travelers often report going into the bush and seeing kids wearing t-shirts that say things like "Green Bay Packers NFL Champions 2007" or "New England Patriots Superbowl Champions 2008."

Kitchen2u said:
I missed the final score. I just saw the replay over and over with the goalie that sat on the puck and it ended up a goalie...I felt bad for him. Of course, my DH said "that's the game!"

So did this mishap lose the game?

chefann said:
They were in Pittsburgh last night. There was a LOT of celebrating last night, but from the reports on the news this morning, people were well-behaved. The championship shirts are in stores already. :D

Okay, now it makes sense about the crowd. I'm glad the people in Detroit are behaving...

Last night while watching the news they said something about the red wings & I asked Larry what did they say...did they win? He said when did you start following hockey? I said the girls on the msg board have been talking about it & they are for the red wings. He rolled his eyes - lol. Hockey pretty much has no following in Arkansas so it surprised him that I even knew. We had two different arena hockey teams but they didn't make it. Good note though one of my friends met & married one of the players from Canada that was on one of our teams. He now teaches it somewhere at a skate place.

Based on what Meredith Vieira said this morning, I have even less respect for her now (taking it negative, if that's even possible). They mentioned the win, and she made some lame comment about "They even did it on skates!" Apparently she doesn't realize that most of those players were practically born with skates on their feet. What an idiot. :rolleyes:

Meredith sucks. The Today Show has not been the same since she joined. I don't miss Katie but I don't like Meredith.Detroit fans are the best! And classy!

Why do you even watch the drivel?My outlook on life improved immensely when I turned that crap off in the morning.

I don't usually have it on purposely, but DH leaves the TV on when he leaves for work. And that's the channel it's usually on because it's our preferred local news (the others are "Detroit's Homeliest News Team" and "Find Out What's Killing You!!").

chefann said:
I don't usually have it on purposely, but DH leaves the TV on when he leaves for work. And that's the channel it's usually on because it's our preferred local news (the others are "Detroit's Homeliest News Team" and "Find Out What's Killing You!!").

That's the way it works at our house too. If DH has to leave for work early - I don't turn the TV on....

LOL - We have a reporter on one of the locals who is obviously using her stint at this whistle stop to try to get to the networks - as many have done from here. Her name is Ashley Barry, and whenever she signs off, she always emphasizes the first sylable, "ASHHHHH-ley Barry" to the point that both The Kat Lady and I sign off with her - saying in unison, "ASHHHHH-ley Barry..."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's because they were all printed a month ago.

The Pittsburgh championship shirts are on their way to several third world markets, where they will be sold for next to nothing. Travelers often report going into the bush and seeing kids wearing t-shirts that say things like "Green Bay Packers NFL Champions 2007" or "New England Patriots Superbowl Champions 2008."

There was a comedian on Last Comic Standing tonight joking about the same thing..."Third world kids have never heard of the Yankees or the Lakers. But, man, are the Buffalo Bills popular!"

<h2>1. What is the Spirit of Detroit?</h2><p>The Spirit of Detroit is a large statue located in downtown Detroit, which has become the official symbol of the city. It has been dressed in various sports jerseys and outfits to represent the local teams during major championship events.</p><h2>2. What is the tradition surrounding the Spirit of Detroit?</h2><p>The tradition involves dressing the statue in the jersey of the local team that is in the finals or has just won a championship. This tradition has been ongoing for several years and has become a beloved tradition among Detroit sports fans.</p><h2>3. What is the current status of the Spirit of Detroit statue?</h2><p>Unfortunately, the Spirit of Detroit statue is currently undergoing some work or renovations. As a result, another statue, located in front of Comerica Park, is being dressed up in a Red Wings sweater to represent the team in the Stanley Cup finals.</p><h2>4. Who owns the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers?</h2><p>The Detroit Red Wings and Tigers are both owned by Mike Ilitch. This makes it even more fitting that the tiger statue in front of Comerica Park is wearing a Red Wings sweater to show support for both teams.</p><h2>5. Is there a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater?</h2><p>Unfortunately, at the time of writing this, a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater could not be found. However, there are several photos online of the Spirit of Detroit wearing various sports jerseys, including the Red Wings, in previous years.</p>

Related to Detroit's Spirit: Sports Traditions in a City of Champions

1. What is the Spirit of Detroit?

The Spirit of Detroit is a large statue located in downtown Detroit, which has become the official symbol of the city. It has been dressed in various sports jerseys and outfits to represent the local teams during major championship events.

2. What is the tradition surrounding the Spirit of Detroit?

The tradition involves dressing the statue in the jersey of the local team that is in the finals or has just won a championship. This tradition has been ongoing for several years and has become a beloved tradition among Detroit sports fans.

3. What is the current status of the Spirit of Detroit statue?

Unfortunately, the Spirit of Detroit statue is currently undergoing some work or renovations. As a result, another statue, located in front of Comerica Park, is being dressed up in a Red Wings sweater to represent the team in the Stanley Cup finals.

4. Who owns the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers?

The Detroit Red Wings and Tigers are both owned by Mike Ilitch. This makes it even more fitting that the tiger statue in front of Comerica Park is wearing a Red Wings sweater to show support for both teams.

5. Is there a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater?

Unfortunately, at the time of writing this, a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater could not be found. However, there are several photos online of the Spirit of Detroit wearing various sports jerseys, including the Red Wings, in previous years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies