• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Detroit's Spirit: Sports Traditions in a City of Champions

In summary, the statue in front of Comerica Park is being dressed in a Red Wings jersey to celebrate the team's Stanley Cup victory. There is also a tradition of throwing octopi on the ice during playoff games.
chefann
Gold Member
Sometimes, (when it's not football season), it's good to live in Detroit.

The Pistons were knocked out of the running for the NBA title last week, but the Red Wings can win the Stanley Cup tonight. I looked online for a pic of this year's version of an interesting Detroit sports tradition, but can't find one.

For several years, there's been a tradition in Detroit to dress a very large statue downtown in a jersey of the local team that's in the finals/just won a championship. The statue is the Spirit of Detroit, and, while only 50 years old, it has come to be the official symbol of the city, featured on police cars and city limits signs. It's worn Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings jerseys, as well as a tuxedo when the three tenors were in town for a concert.

This year, however, there is work being done on or around the statue. What's a Detroit sports fan to do? Dress up another statue! In front of Comerica Park, where the Tigers play, there's a large concrete tiger. And today, it's wearing a Red Wings sweater. (And it's somehow fitting because the Wings and Tigers are both owned by Mike Illich.)

You can see a picture of the tiger statue here, but as I noted above, I couldn't find a shot of it in the sweater.

I love :love: traditions...I went to Auburn University and when we win a football game (and any other "big" game/title) we TP the trees in front of an old drug store called Toomers, so the intersection there is called Toomers Corner...check this pic out!

Attachments

• toomers.jpg
    toomers.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 288
Aw, crud. Pittsburgh just scored. :(---
More Detroit sports trivia...It's traditional at Red Wings playoff games to throw octopi (plural of octopus) on the ice. There's even an unofficial purple cartoon octopus mascot. Why? When the tradition started, a team needed 8 wins to win the Cup. 8 wins, 8 legs = octopus. Etiquette states that one not throw octopi during the national anthem(s) (should there be a Canadian team playing), but after the anthem(s) and after Wings goals. It's never good sportsmanship to aim at an opposing player. And it's considered good manners to boil the octopus before sneaking it into the arena, to reduce how much it sticks to the ice.Find all you ever wanted to know about the octopus tradition here.

eeeewww!!!!!!!!!!! where do the octopi come from? Is there some seafood store in Detroit that overstocks when they know a game is coming up???

The current hot spot to buy octopi is a fish market in the suburbs, Superior Fish Market. They do get extra stock during playoffs. :) And they publish octopus recipes, too.

rassa-frackin' g-dmn Penguins.
:mad:Pardon my French.

Another bizarre thing done this year involved the Detroit Zoo (which is actually located in Royal Oak, coincidentally home to Superior Fish Market). Once it was known that the Wings would be playing the Penguins for the Cup, the Zoo temporarily (for the duration of the finals) renamed the penguinarium the Winguinarium.We're just a little nuts, over here in the mitten. :rolleyes:

We're a little (ok a LOT) out of control over here on the west side too.

There has been copious amounts of yelling at the television.

Mostly OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sometimes followed by

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

(yeesh, that Penguin just took a puck to the head.....that's gonna leave a mark).

(Hey, that reminds me of a joke....what's black and white and red all over???.....)

Yeah- blood EVERYWHERE! DH saw the blood (he's on the phone and neither of us are following the game in super detail), and commented, "I hope it was the puck because then there's no penalty." :)

Jean DeVries said:
(Hey, that reminds me of a joke....what's black and white and red all over???.....)
There are several answers to this one - most of which are even too tasteless for me to post.

chefann said:
Yeah- blood EVERYWHERE! DH saw the blood (he's on the phone and neither of us are following the game in super detail), and commented, "I hope it was the puck because then there's no penalty." :)
I've never seen anyone bleed like a stuck Puck.

Unless an actor in a Midsummer Night's Dream has a problem with the imp.

Sometimes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

is followed by

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

(woohoo)

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!

(double woohoo)

Yay!!One more goal as a buffer would be nice...

My BIL and nieces in Colorado are probably dancing around the basement with Hockey Bear (a teddy bear who wears a Wings onesie).

chefann said:
Yay!!

One more goal as a buffer would be nice...

Yeah. I wanted 6.

I believe what I last yelled at the TV was "Now bury those m*****f******"

And how poetic that Hockey Bear lives in Colorado :)

My BIL gets a lot of grief from his buddies when the Wings are playing the Avs.Doesn't help that BIL hosts the playoff parties - they have a 7x10 FOOT screen. :D And he has risers he built to make stadium seating.

I repeat my earlier rassa-fracking gdmn Penguins comment.
:mad:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

34 frackin' seconds!! Gack!(Gotta love made up swear words from TV that can be used instead of real swear words. Frell and Frack being the most common.)

Well, it's bedtime. Give me the score in the morning.

There is no joy in Moville, Mighty Calimari Has Struck out.Penguins 4, Redwings 3 in three overtimes - the fifth longest game in Stanley Cup Playoff history.(How's that for mixing metaphors and sports?)The Univ of Minnesota hockey team was so inspired by this game that they went out to practice tonight. Sadly, the entire team drowned BECAUSE WHY DOES ANYONE PLAY FRICKIN' HOCKEY IN JUNE!!!

Sad. So, so sad.
(Both about the Wings, and KG's joke.)

sorry Ann....maybe next year?

It's not done yet - they'll just have to play a game 6.

I couldn't stay away....sad to see the score this morning.I bet Colleen is pissed. :D

Well, at least she's probably happy that no one threw squid in the church last Saturday.

I can't keep my eyes open at work today, because I stayed up to watch the ENTIRE game last night.

That wasn't so bad, because my bedtime is usually right around when it ended.

But I was so pi$$ed I couldn't sleep for like an hour afterwards.

I mean, if you're gonna tank the game anyway, do it in the third period.....don't drag it out. A girl needs her beauty sleep!

Besides, I really wanted them to win it at home. I'm sure the Detroit cops didn't share my sentiment, though.....

Now we gotta win it in Pittsburgh, home to endlessly looping freeways....

DebbieJ said:
I bet Colleen is pissed. :D

Colleen was pissed last night! This morning she is too tired to be pissed. We got home at 3:35am. Now that I'm waking up, I'm just sad... :(

Jean DeVries said:
I can't keep my eyes open at work today, because I stayed up to watch the ENTIRE game last night.

That wasn't so bad, because my bedtime is usually right around when it ended.

But I was so pi$$ed I couldn't sleep for like an hour afterwards.

I mean, if you're gonna tank the game anyway, do it in the third period.....don't drag it out. A girl needs her beauty sleep!

Besides, I really wanted them to win it at home. I'm sure the Detroit cops didn't share my sentiment, though.....

Now we gotta win it in Pittsburgh, home to endlessly looping freeways....
I have a friend who teaches at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He says it's a law in Pennsylvania that when you cross a bridge in Pittsburgh, you see the one you actually want to be on.

Aside from how confusing Indiana University of Pennsylvania is, I would have to agree.

My friends and I once tried to get to the Carnegie museum. We drove by Three Rivers Stadium THREE times trying to figure out where we were supposed to be.

We went to the Andy Warhol museum instead. That we could find.....

Now that Three Rivers Stadium is gone, I can never go back to Pittsburgh. It was my reference point to finding everything.

Not to mention the speed limit is still like 55. Yeesh.

You never heard of Indiana, Pennsylvania?There's a famous hardware store there. In fact, I'm told (I've never actually been there) that there is a bronze statue in front of the hardware store.When James Stewart won his first Oscar, his father displayed it in the window of his hardware store and, of course, the statue is of James Stewart, Indiana's favorite son.

I must have faded in the beginning of the first OT. Don Cherry (he IS the worst dressed list) predicted the Wings would win the cup and it did look like they were going to sweep.

Just like to see a good competitive series especially for the finals in any sports games. The Wings and the Penquins fans must be exhausted:indif: !! What a great series so far!

*sigh* It would have been nice to win on home ice, but that's not going to happen now unless the series goes to 7 games. And nobody wants that.

Well, they won the other series on the road, so they'll just win this one on the road. :)

Am I the lone voice cheering for the Penguins???? Before all you Wings fans attack -- please know that Sidney Crosby is from my town & for years played hockey about 5 minutes from my house.He is so generous with his support to our entire city. We just received several signed items from him, to sell as part our school's major fundraiser (& it is not the school he attended).So I say (with more confidence than I feel) GO PENGUINS!!!!

No, you can root for the Penguins.

You'll just have to forgive those of us who call them not-so-nice names. :)

I don't think I can take the stress of another game like Monday's. There's not enough alcohol in my house.....

Don't be tempted to drink the corn likker in your gas tank, either.

No need to worry Jean... they'll wrap it up tonight.I just put a bottle of champagne in to chill for the celebration! ;)

finley1991 said:
No need to worry Jean... they'll wrap it up tonight.

I just put a bottle of champagne in to chill for the celebration! ;)

Now, be careful...talk to the Patriot fans about their undefeated season (until the Super Bowl) last year. They were completely confident, as a Giants fan we were ready to take a beating and then...there was a REAL game. Yes, I am a Giants fan, but I spoke to no Giants fan that was even 75% confident (well, you always have your die hards)

Not saying they won't win, but who would have thought that there would be 3 OT's!!! UGH!!

Good luck to both teams, looking forward to a good game and for next year go Sabers!!;)

I'm dressing my penguin in a wings jersey, just to cover my butt.

The problem was is that I DIDN'T put the champagne in the chill Monday. :)

finley1991 said:
The problem was is that I DIDN'T put the champagne in the chill Monday. :)
Have you gotten into that bubbly already? :D

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/slider_winesmiley.gif

I'm heading over to the Finley's house. :) That'll be one BIG par-tay! hmmm.... I'd better take a tray of snacks, to be polite. Calamari seems appropriate (Yes, I know it's squid, not octopus, but it's close enough).

I am still gagging about this whole squid throwing thing!
Have fun!

It's just a good thing his boss gave him time off from work.

http://www.octopuscarwash.com/ozzie.png

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I bet Jean has. ;)

Not yet.

But it isn't for lack of wanting....

Work. Very. Busy. No. Time. To. Think.

or Drink.

I never drink until after 5.Of course, it's already after 5 in Michigan.

Just started with the wine.... :) I'm 2:12 hours late! Almost bought some calamari at Trader Joe's today!

<h2>1. What is the Spirit of Detroit?</h2><p>The Spirit of Detroit is a large statue located in downtown Detroit, which has become the official symbol of the city. It has been dressed in various sports jerseys and outfits to represent the local teams during major championship events.</p><h2>2. What is the tradition surrounding the Spirit of Detroit?</h2><p>The tradition involves dressing the statue in the jersey of the local team that is in the finals or has just won a championship. This tradition has been ongoing for several years and has become a beloved tradition among Detroit sports fans.</p><h2>3. What is the current status of the Spirit of Detroit statue?</h2><p>Unfortunately, the Spirit of Detroit statue is currently undergoing some work or renovations. As a result, another statue, located in front of Comerica Park, is being dressed up in a Red Wings sweater to represent the team in the Stanley Cup finals.</p><h2>4. Who owns the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers?</h2><p>The Detroit Red Wings and Tigers are both owned by Mike Ilitch. This makes it even more fitting that the tiger statue in front of Comerica Park is wearing a Red Wings sweater to show support for both teams.</p><h2>5. Is there a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater?</h2><p>Unfortunately, at the time of writing this, a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater could not be found. However, there are several photos online of the Spirit of Detroit wearing various sports jerseys, including the Red Wings, in previous years.</p>

Related to Detroit's Spirit: Sports Traditions in a City of Champions

1. What is the Spirit of Detroit?

The Spirit of Detroit is a large statue located in downtown Detroit, which has become the official symbol of the city. It has been dressed in various sports jerseys and outfits to represent the local teams during major championship events.

2. What is the tradition surrounding the Spirit of Detroit?

The tradition involves dressing the statue in the jersey of the local team that is in the finals or has just won a championship. This tradition has been ongoing for several years and has become a beloved tradition among Detroit sports fans.

3. What is the current status of the Spirit of Detroit statue?

Unfortunately, the Spirit of Detroit statue is currently undergoing some work or renovations. As a result, another statue, located in front of Comerica Park, is being dressed up in a Red Wings sweater to represent the team in the Stanley Cup finals.

4. Who owns the Detroit Red Wings and Tigers?

The Detroit Red Wings and Tigers are both owned by Mike Ilitch. This makes it even more fitting that the tiger statue in front of Comerica Park is wearing a Red Wings sweater to show support for both teams.

5. Is there a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater?

Unfortunately, at the time of writing this, a photo of the tiger statue in the Red Wings sweater could not be found. However, there are several photos online of the Spirit of Detroit wearing various sports jerseys, including the Red Wings, in previous years.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies