• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Desperate for Help - Infected Ear Lobe Woes!

probably to the neosporin. Try using a different type of antibiotic ointment. (I forget the name, but it's a topical cream). You might also want to take some tylenol.
Carolyn, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????

CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW! You need antibiotics and a cream. That's exactly what mine was like (even the lump below the ear)!

...what is that about something in Neosporin causing a problem?? I tried that too before going to the doctor...

Ok - I just called te doctor's office and my options were today at 2:45 or tomorrow at 11:30am. I opted for today at 2:45. I'll post when I get back and let ya'll know what he said/did.
Beth - thanks for calling this morning and giving me the little nudge I needed!!

OH THANK GOD!!!! you are obviously scaring us! Let us know how it goes!

I just got on this a.m. but fully agree...I noticed the lump on the side of the face right away too...you have a gland or something swollen there...I am glad you are going in today!

By the way, it isn't as gross as I expected...I think the toe WAS worse!

janetupnorth said:
By the way, it isn't as gross as I expected...I think the toe WAS worse!

See? I toldja!!
I should have shown ya'll pictures of my son's plantar wart and the whole process of removing it - now THAT was nasty!! I still have the pics if you want to see them - LOL

That's quite alright - we already have one thread that sucks, another that burns and this one.

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:
See? I toldja!!
I should have shown ya'll pictures of my son's plantar wart and the whole process of removing it - now THAT was nasty!! I still have the pics if you want to see them - LOL

Ewww! I hate planter warts, I get them every 7-8 years all over my feet.

Yep, the bump was the first thing I saw too! It's traveling and that's not good! I'm relieved that Beth called and talked your stuborn arse into going to the Doctor! Your household can not afford to have their Mom out of comission or worse! Let us know, I will be checking in later! I'm glad you're 3 hours ahead I won't have to wait as long!:D

Last edited:
wadesgirl said:
Ewww! I hate planter warts, I get them every 7-8 years all over my feet.
TMI!! :yuck: :)blushing: sorry :p )

Carloyn,
It was great talking with you this morning! Be sure to let us know what the doctor says!!!

ok ok ok -- it seems to be calming down now.
after this mornings' warm compress it didn't ooze so much...the itchy bump under my ear has gone down. I know ya'll are gonna tell me to go see the doc anyway but I really think it's looking better!

if you even remotely think of not going to the doctor...I will hunt your stubborn arse down and drag you there!!:mad:
IT WON'T HURT TO GO...IT WILL HURT IF YOU DON'T....yes I am yelling!

chefmeg said:
if you even remotely think of not going to the doctor...I will hunt your stubborn arse down and drag you there!!:mad:
IT WON'T HURT TO GO...IT WILL HURT IF YOU DON'T....yes I am yelling!

:::::cowering::::::
I'll go...I'll go!!
:cry:

Don't make me call you again!!

Yes, I'm yelling too! You better go!

...leaving now for my 2:45 appt

Good job ladies... ....of course a trip to Florida this year wouldn't be half bad...

I know the times that show up on our posts are weird, but Carolyn posted something on Director CS at 2:23......she better not be playing hooky from the doctor!!!!!!!!!!! OR a trip to Florida will be required! Who is with me? Beth, I'll pick you up on the way, OK???!!!!;)

chefmeg said:
I know the times that show up on our posts are weird, but Carolyn posted something on Director Chef Success at 2:23......she better not be playing hooky from the doctor!!!!!!!!!!! OR a trip to Florida will be required! Who is with me? Beth, I'll pick you up on the way, OK???!!!!;)
I'll be ready!

Ok - I went. He gave me 7 days worth of antibiotics...no topical though...and told me to cleans with Hibiclens a few timea daily. Oh, and told me it was my own fault for being stupid - LOL

well...

I am glad you are being treated! You wouldn't want to go around with a deformed ear! :yuck:

(If anyone has a deformed ear please don't take offense. I mean no harm.)

dannyzmom said:
Ok - I went. He gave me 7 days worth of antibiotics...no topical though...and told me to cleans with Hibiclens a few timea daily. Oh, and told me it was my own fault for being stupid - LOL
If you are looking for us to disagree, it's not happening! :p I'm glad you got some antibiotics. That is best. It's fine without a topical, sometimes they cause more harm than good and it heals best when kept clean.
Your body will fight the infection with the antibiotics.Psst...increase your yogurt intake after your antibiotic dose to replace the good bacteria that gets killed...

dannyzmom said:
It's just NASTY.
If I were totally larval and vile I'd take a picture and post it here...ya'll don't wanna see it do ya? Do ya? Huh? huh? huh?

Been there, seen that... when I worked at that piercing place, we had a little girl of about 8 who came back with very infected ears. She either didn't keep them up or had a reaction to the posts we put in... well, her parents wanted US to deal with it. We mentioned them taking her to the docs and they insisted, we did the piercing, we do something. So we donned gloves, took out the earrings and applied the cleanser we had. What else were we to do, eh? But don't think I'll ever forget the state of those lobes.

dannyzmom said:

Sounds like a typical doc visit. LOL.. Glad you went.

CarolynHave you ever heard of MRSA??

As you may recall two years ago I got a staff infection in my leg. It almost cost me my life and leg. NEVER, EVER, EVER LET AN INFECTION GO THESE DAYS. They are so strong, antibiotic resistan and down right deadly, you simply can't mess around like that!!!

dannyzmom said:
Did he give you a script for that, too? If he did, I'd like it, too.

Script:Carolyn: I will always go to the doctor when I have a nasty infection.CS: Good, we will hold you to itOkay, I'm tired and hungry but still full from last night's gluttenous fondue girls night out.

dannyzmom said:
And, I must say - that was the most fun breakfast I had the whole weekend in Chicago!
We MUST make sure to do it again this summer - which wave are you? I am #1

Just catching up from the last day or so...YES!!! I will be in #1 too!!!! WOO HOOO!!! We can talk about your ear at breakfast this time!! Hope you are taking pictures!!!:D

really glad you went so that we can find someone else to harrass now!!!! really...good luck!

pampered1224 said:
Have you ever heard of MRSA??

As you may recall two years ago I got a staff infection in my leg. It almost cost me my life and leg. NEVER, EVER, EVER LET AN INFECTION GO THESE DAYS. They are so strong, antibiotic resistan and down right deadly, you simply can't mess around like that!!!

You're so right John...SOOOOO right.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did he give you a script for that, too? If he did, I'd like it, too.

If he had one, I'd have stolen the whole pad. I can think of quite a few people I'd like to hand that scrip to!

baychef said:
Just catching up from the last day or so...YES!!! I will be in #1 too!!!! WOO HOOO!!! We can talk about your ear at breakfast this time!! Hope you are taking pictures!!!:D

Yippee!!
And by then I should have a whole bunch more pictures of all the gory, puss-filled, oozing injuries and what-nots that happen in this household! (am I the only freak who photographs funky wounds??)

dannyzmom said:
If he had one, I'd have stolen the whole pad. I can think of quite a few people I'd like to hand that scrip to!

"You can't fix stupid". :p

I'll take a copy of the script for common sense for a few dozen people please... :rolleyes:

Maybe the lady with the Gen II pan needs one...along with one for common courtesy to fellow human beings.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yes, you are.:yuck:

I thought she was too, but then I remembered the severed fingers and other things in my medical books and unless Carolyn was out photographing and making money, someone else takes those pictures too! :eek:

dannyzmom said:
Yippee!!
And by then I should have a whole bunch more pictures of all the gory, puss-filled, oozing injuries and what-nots that happen in this household! (am I the only freak who photographs funky wounds??)

You may have to do a crop...for the pictures, not the earlobe. Honestly, it is not as bad looking as I thought it would be HOWEVER the red areas that others were concerned about were the first things that I saw that alarmed me. SOOOO glad you went to the dr. Better to be safe then sorry!

If you let that go, gangrene may set in, your ear would fall off and then you may not be able to hear the next gross conversation over our meals!!!

How is it doing today? Crusty, hot, red, swollen (I am talking about your ear and not your DH!!!:D )

Well, it is harvest time in Florida so maybe this is where she is right now...
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/morecorn.gif

If so...we are in trouble. This will be Carolyn in the chair getting a pedicure and me holding her down before conference!!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/jeff_daniels4.jpg

OMG you guys are a riot!
I got out for a few hours and look what happens!! LOL
And speaking of pedicure Ann...that's where I am headed in a few minutes - LOL
Anyway - ear is drying out and crusting over...itchy but not unbearable. No more oozing and no longer swollen. If ya'll are still acting up when I get back from my pedicure, I'll take a nother picture for ya.

We'll behave. Honest. Best behavior.No more pictures!

BTW Carolyn, how are you? Is your ear much better? I bought my daughter a pair of little hoop earings at Walmart the other day... and she was begging me to put them in when we got in the car..... Your infected ear picture came to mind and I was like "ahhh hell no!!!" I told her no way, until I got home and cleaned them with Peroxide! Then I told her your story, her eyes got real wide :eek: :eek: (mind you, she's 7!) and said "nevermind!) LOL!:D

MissChef said:
BTW Carolyn, how are you? Is your ear much better? I bought my daughter a pair of little hoop earings at Walmart the other day... and she was begging me to put them in when we got in the car..... Your infected ear picture came to mind and I was like "ahhh hell no!!!" I told her no way, until I got home and cleaned them with Peroxide! Then I told her your story, her eyes got real wide :eek: :eek: (mind you, she's 7!) and said "nevermind!) LOL!:D

Do NOT put an earring in her ear w/o sterilizing it!!!!! LOL
My ear is slowly healing - much slower than I'd like and today it is itching like poison ivy. The antibiotic is giving me killer headaches and I can't wait til I am done with it!!!

I too thought of our Crusty Carolyn yesterday!! I was putting on a new pair of earrings...I am old fashioned, I only have one piercing per ear lobe:rolleyes:
Well, I am not a great morning person and many times the bling gets skipped so my ears are not used to earrings as much. This pair of earrings had a thicker piece of silver that went through the ear. One ear, no problem, but I had to get physical with the other one. It isn't like yours, Carolyn, but it let me know all day that this was not a good fit. And today...I skipped the bling. Will post pictures if any infectious goo, crust or inflamation appears!!!!:eek:

So as to not completely hijack the retiring products thread, Carolyn, what does your location, "Shivering at the bottom of Lake Superior", mean? I think I remember it coming from a thread a long time ago???

Q: What shivers and lays at the bottom of Lake Superior?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Q: What shivers and lays at the bottom of Lake Superior?

A: a nervous wreck

It came about last summer when my ex was taking my kids cross-country for 10 days while I was at NC...I was freaking out with worry over them. I just never got around to changing it.
I need a new one...

Got it! A nervous wreck. Thanks, KG!

Sorry, Carolyn - posted at the same time! And I had to go searching for that one!

dianevill said:
Sorry, Carolyn - posted at the same time! And I had to go searching for that one!

LOL - there's a lot of that going on right now - LOL

dannyzmom said:
Do NOT put an earring in her ear w/o sterilizing it!!!!! LOL
My ear is slowly healing - much slower than I'd like and today it is itching like poison ivy. The antibiotic is giving me killer headaches and I can't wait til I am done with it!!!
Just be sure to take them all!!

Glad to hear it's healing.

<h2>1. How do I know if my ear lobe is infected?</h2><p>If your ear lobe is infected, you may experience symptoms such as redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, and discharge of pus or blood. You may also have a fever or feel generally unwell.</p><h2>2. What causes an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>An infected ear lobe can be caused by various factors, such as using dirty earrings, not properly cleaning your piercing, or having an allergic reaction to the earring material. It can also be caused by bacteria or other microorganisms entering the piercing site.</p><h2>3. How should I treat an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>If your ear lobe is infected, it is important to keep the area clean and dry. You can use warm compresses to help reduce swelling and promote healing. It is also recommended to apply an antibacterial ointment, such as bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment, to the infected area. If the infection does not improve or gets worse, seek medical attention.</p><h2>4. Can I use peroxide or neosporin to treat an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>Peroxide and neosporin can be too harsh for the delicate skin of the ear lobe and may cause irritation or allergic reactions. It is best to avoid using these products and stick to warm compresses and antibacterial ointment for treatment.</p><h2>5. How can I prevent an infected ear lobe in the future?</h2><p>To prevent an infected ear lobe, make sure to properly clean your piercing with a saline solution or mild soap and water. Avoid using dirty earrings and make sure to regularly clean and disinfect them. If you have a history of allergic reactions, choose earrings made of hypoallergenic materials. It is also important to not touch or play with your piercing and to avoid submerging it in water until it is fully healed.</p>

Related to Desperate for Help - Infected Ear Lobe Woes!

1. How do I know if my ear lobe is infected?

If your ear lobe is infected, you may experience symptoms such as redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, and discharge of pus or blood. You may also have a fever or feel generally unwell.

2. What causes an infected ear lobe?

An infected ear lobe can be caused by various factors, such as using dirty earrings, not properly cleaning your piercing, or having an allergic reaction to the earring material. It can also be caused by bacteria or other microorganisms entering the piercing site.

3. How should I treat an infected ear lobe?

If your ear lobe is infected, it is important to keep the area clean and dry. You can use warm compresses to help reduce swelling and promote healing. It is also recommended to apply an antibacterial ointment, such as bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment, to the infected area. If the infection does not improve or gets worse, seek medical attention.

4. Can I use peroxide or neosporin to treat an infected ear lobe?

Peroxide and neosporin can be too harsh for the delicate skin of the ear lobe and may cause irritation or allergic reactions. It is best to avoid using these products and stick to warm compresses and antibacterial ointment for treatment.

5. How can I prevent an infected ear lobe in the future?

To prevent an infected ear lobe, make sure to properly clean your piercing with a saline solution or mild soap and water. Avoid using dirty earrings and make sure to regularly clean and disinfect them. If you have a history of allergic reactions, choose earrings made of hypoallergenic materials. It is also important to not touch or play with your piercing and to avoid submerging it in water until it is fully healed.

Back