• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Desperate for Help - Infected Ear Lobe Woes!

probably to the neosporin. Try using a different type of antibiotic ointment. (I forget the name, but it's a topical cream). You might also want to take some tylenol.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Here's a question for you...
My ear is infected - not my EAR, like kids get - but my ear LOBE...my earring hole.
It is a puss-filled, bloody festering nasty-ass mess.
I have had pierced ears since 1976 and now, all of a sudden, my freakin' ear wigs out on me.
I did peroxide & neosporin -- which led to hives at the wound-site (forgot I am allergic to neosporin...dumbass)...so now I am doing warm compresses...any other suggestions????:yuck: :cry: :yuck: :cry:

I know this is going to sound.....well.......yucky, but I had the same problem. I took a needle and thread that was soaked in alcohal and put it through my hole. It cleared up in about 2 days. Good luck!!

Were you wearing costume jewelry? I've never had a bad reaction, but my ears tend to get red when I wear that stuff for too long.

You might want to put in a pair of good gold earrings and give them a 'twist' everynow and then - just like you did way back when you first got them pierced so the hole doesn't grow back together.

You are doing good with the peroxide. Don't know what else to tell you....it will probably get uglier before it gets better though. Do you have a Dr. or nurse friend that you can call for 'real' advice?

Good luck! You might want to take some tylenol too.

slj1229 said:
I know this is going to sound.....well.......yucky, but I had the same problem. I took a needle and thread that was soaked in alcohal and put it through my hole. It cleared up in about 2 days. Good luck!!

Up until yesterday I was putting my earring post in alcohol and then putting it in...but then puss-ickiness was crusting around the earring itself -- ugh it is SO gross...that I thought maybe I should leave the earring out for a bit. I will see if I can scrounge up a needle and thread and try your trick...

you can try to squeeze some of the yucky's out too. That may help.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
:eek: :eek: Not much help here, but call the dr. as soon as you can tomorrow to have him or her look at it. Don't mess with an infection that close to your brain (seriously). They may have to lance it and/or prescribe antibodics.

I had an infection like this in 1977 in my arm pit. It hurt like a %$*#@* and once the dr. numbed it and lanced it, the relief of the pressure made it feel better.

Hope no one has a weak stomach! These are just facts of life and when they occur...damn they hurt.

I think this may be the only site in the world where you can look up Cookie recipes and puss filled infections all at once!!!

LOL!!! As long as they are not on the same THREAD!!!! I could really get gross and relive my days as a 10 year old, but I will refrain in honor of my friend, Carolyn. No matter how old I get...I can still revert back to a 10 year old far too easy!!!

baychef said:
LOL!!! As long as they are not on the same THREAD!!!! I could really get gross and relive my days as a 10 year old, but I will refrain in honor of my friend, Carolyn. No matter how old I get...I can still revert back to a 10 year old far too easy!!!

WHAT??????
You're going to REFRAIN in honor of me?!?!?!
Hello??? I am the one you sat with at breakfast the last day of NC last year having gynecological discussions over our hash browns and egg-product!
I live for gross body function discussions!!

slj1229 said:
you can try to squeeze some of the yucky's out too. That may help.

My friends' mother did that for me last night - numbed me up with a few shots of Malibu rum, soaked my ear with hot compresses and then sqoze the crud out of it for a while. It felt so much better afterward...but the pressure has been building up again all day today :(

baychef said:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
:eek: :eek: Not much help here, but call the dr. as soon as you can tomorrow to have him or her look at it. Don't mess with an infection that close to your brain (seriously).

::::giggle:::::
Maybe all this puss'll help kick things into overdrive in my noggin'

dannyzmom said:
Here's a question for you...
My ear is infected - not my EAR, like kids get - but my ear LOBE...my earring hole.
It is a puss-filled, bloody festering nasty-ass mess.
I have had pierced ears since 1976 and now, all of a sudden, my freakin' ear wigs out on me.
I did peroxide & neosporin -- which led to hives at the wound-site (forgot I am allergic to neosporin...dumbass)...so now I am doing warm compresses...any other suggestions????:yuck: :cry: :yuck: :cry:

Sounds like you've had a reaction, perhaps? Have you recently worn a pair of earrings that are new and perhaps made with nickel? I think that's what it is that many folks react to. I've got both ears pierced three times but don't wear anything anymore due to a reaction you note (though not as bad as yours sounds). I know when I worked at a piercing place (mall kind - not tattoo parlor type piercing) we'd pierce folks sensitive to things like nickel with gold... couldn't use the gun-thingy so wasn't my favorite way to pierce but gold is supposed to be more hypo-allergenic.

This might help: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_tnpierce_hhg.htm

BTW, remember, allergic reactions can come on at any time in our lives. I used to be able to wear cheap earrings all the time. Now? If I so much as look at a pair of cheap earrings, my earlobes start up. Well, okay not that bad but I've tried and within hours my earlobes are red, hurting and getting infected.... so I just gave up. 6 perfectly good [extra] holes in my head and not a darned thing to do with 'em. LOL

lkprescott said:
Sounds like you've had a reaction, perhaps? Have you recently worn a pair of earrings that are new and perhaps made with nickel? I think that's what it is that many folks react to. I've got both ears pierced three times but don't wear anything anymore due to a reaction you note (though not as bad as yours sounds). I know when I worked at a piercing place (mall kind - not tattoo parlor type piercing) we'd pierce folks sensitive to things like nickel with gold... couldn't use the gun-thingy so wasn't my favorite way to pierce but gold is supposed to be more hypo-allergenic.

This might help: http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_tnpierce_hhg.htm

BTW, remember, allergic reactions can come on at any time in our lives. I used to be able to wear cheap earrings all the time. Now? If I so much as look at a pair of cheap earrings, my earlobes start up. Well, okay not that bad but I've tried and within hours my earlobes are red, hurting and getting infected.... so I just gave up. 6 perfectly good [extra] holes in my head and not a darned thing to do with 'em. LOL

Well after reading your article I can tell you EXACTLY what started this whole mess. I have one main earring hole in each ear. For the last 10-or-so years, I have worn one earring in each ear. Many years ago I had 2 holes in one and 3 in the other. About 2 weeks ago, I took an earring from my aunt (that'd been sitting in a box for about 15 yrs) and popped it thru hole #2 on my left ear. Hurt a bit (hadn't used that hole in 10+ years)...hubby didn't like the look of it...I took it out. End of story...or so I thought. That's when things got itchy and slightly oozy. I kept ignoring it - rubbing the nasty crust away with my filthy hands...leadnig to where I am today.
Man...I feel like such a shmuck.

Carolyn~ I'm so sorry you spent your Christmas with that time of pain! I hate it when I get infected ear lobes! I can only wear the good stuff too and my daughter has really bad reactions! And that is a pain because it's hard to send a kid to school in gold! I am going to go buy her some gold hoops because those were the only earrings she ever did really good with!
Good luck girl and don't play with an infection! Get it checked, if it doesn't get better by tomorrow!

See your MD (been there, done that). Your ears may need to heal and be repierced. (been there done that too).When the infection is cleared, order new earrings and parts/converters from simply whispers dot com. NO affiliation, just a satisfied customer for about 20 years. They offer good service and good guarantee. Nice range of designs and prices.

dannyzmom said:
WHAT??????
You're going to REFRAIN in honor of me?!?!?!
Hello??? I am the one you sat with at breakfast the last day of NC last year having gynecological discussions over our hash browns and egg-product!
I live for gross body function discussions!!
As I recall, you were one of the first ones to answer my medical 911 thread almost exactly a year ago. Mine wasn't as much fun - only a high fever and no pus to squeeze out of any orifice.

The proper spelling is "schmuck" and you should delete that from your post. You aren't and you don't want to be. ;)

Carolyn,

Call your doctor this morning! I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. He gave me antibiotics and a cream to put on. You probably need the antibiotic so get on the phone!!

Just found this...ewww...But, I FULLY agree...call your doctor, get an antibiotic and let it heal up. Best to remove all earrings let it fully heal up and repuncture your good hole or get it professionally redone AFTER the infection is gone. Also, sanitize any earrings you've worn during the infection period so you don't spread it to the other ear.

I have 2 holes in each ear too and can only wear earrings in my first holes. Mine get infected like that too! In fact I don't even change mine. I have some real gold claddagh earrings that I never take out.

dannyzmom said:
Well after reading your article I can tell you EXACTLY what started this whole mess. I have one main earring hole in each ear. For the last 10-or-so years, I have worn one earring in each ear. Many years ago I had 2 holes in one and 3 in the other. About 2 weeks ago, I took an earring from my aunt (that'd been sitting in a box for about 15 yrs) and popped it thru hole #2 on my left ear. Hurt a bit (hadn't used that hole in 10+ years)...hubby didn't like the look of it...I took it out. End of story...or so I thought. That's when things got itchy and slightly oozy. I kept ignoring it - rubbing the nasty crust away with my filthy hands...leadnig to where I am today.
Man...I feel like such a shmuck.
You like to live dangerously, don't you Sister? Hopefully you are at the doctor today. And...the puss will not kick your brain into over drive!!!
See, when you touched that nasty crusty hole after 10 years with your filthy hands...you get infections!!! :sing: :eek: Is that piggy enough for you so far???
I do remember you, Rae and I meeting for the first time, talking gyno over eggs, toast and coffee!!!:D :D If that doesn't prove what at sick bunch we are...nothing will!!! I hope you are going to conference one so we can discuss the details of this over cream puffs!!!:eek:

Doesn't it seem appropriate (somehow) to discuss gyno over eggs?I never sausage a thing before.

baychef said:
You like to live dangerously, don't you Sister? Hopefully you are at the doctor today. And...the puss will not kick your brain into over drive!!!
See, when you touched that nasty crusty hole after 10 years with your filthy hands...you get infections!!! :sing: :eek: Is that piggy enough for you so far???
I do remember you, Rae and I meeting for the first time, talking gyno over eggs, toast and coffee If that doesn't prove what at sick bunch we are...nothing will!!! I hope you are going to conference one so we can discuss the details of this over cream puffs!!!:eek:
:yuck: :yuck: :eek: :D Yikes! Anne, wow, that made my tummy lurch a little! That would be the one time I wouldn't want to be with you girls!:eek: :D ;)

It was a "you had to be there" moments!!! We met at the last breakfast and were so excited to meet each other and before you know it....we just eased into girl chat thing. When you are "enGROSSed" in a conversation, you may not be thinking what you are talking about.

And the cream puff thing??? I am sick like that, however, the description of the pain and the ickiness that Carolyn is experiencing was the thing that made my stomach flip! Poor lady!

Hey...where is Miss Rae and Carolyn, did you go to the dr. or have you been admitted for an ear lumpectomy?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Doesn't it seem appropriate (somehow) to discuss gyno over eggs?

I never sausage a thing before.

The sausage may impregnate the egg and the conversation would just go to the birds!

baychef said:
It was a "you had to be there" moments!!! We met at the last breakfast and were so excited to meet each other and before you know it....we just eased into girl chat thing. When you are "enGROSSed" in a conversation, you may not be thinking what you are talking about.

And the cream puff thing??? I am sick like that, however, the description of the pain and the ickiness that Carolyn is experiencing was the thing that made my stomach flip! Poor lady!

Hey...where is Miss Rae and Carolyn, did you go to the dr. or have you been admitted for an ear lumpectomy?

Where the heck is Rae??
Anyway - I have been doing the hot compress thing all day...after a few minutes of hot compress, the crust melts off and the whole lobe areas starts oozing (I have to lay a Kleenex on my shoulder to catch the drippage) :yuck: Then it crusts over and we do it all again in a few hours. It seems less swollen than it has been. The surface fo the skin on the entire lobe is crusty and broken and bloody/puss-oozing...but that's all from my using the Neosporin (forgetting that the last time I used it I broke out in a poison-ivy-like rash). So, I am thinking once the rash clears up I will be better able to deal with the piercing-hole. What a royal pain in the ear.
I am figuring if I am in pain or running a fever tomorrow I'll go to the doc...otherwise if there's no major improvement by Monday I'll go in. I'd rather avoid the doc if I can...that dang place is expensive!

baychef said:

And, I must say - that was the most fun breakfast I had the whole weekend in Chicago!
We MUST make sure to do it again this summer - which wave are you? I am #1

baychef said:
The sausage may impregnate the egg and the conversation would just go to the birds!
Well, I guess I'm toast.

What I've done in the past.......is take an earring and "dip" it in antibiotic cream (something other than neosporin lol) and then put the earring in.....with the back at the end of the post......it clears up very quick

You have convinced me - I'm not having anything pierced.It's bad enough I have tatoo dots.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You have convinced me - I'm not having anything pierced.

It's bad enough I have tatoo dots.
Tattoo dots???
Do tell...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You have convinced me - I'm not having anything pierced.

And seriously -- if it is THIS uncomfortable when my earlobe has an infection due to piercing...what about those people you can see on the Discovery Channel (and in Fort Lauderdale) who have "other" places pierced??? YEOWCH!!!

Yeah, I've been wondering about some of those, um, other places :eek: that people have pierced. The dots were for the laser targeting system on the radiation machine. When they tatooed me, I asked them to put on an aircraft carrier or at least spell out MOM but no. I should have a t-shirt that says "I went to get a tatoo and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

I would go to the doctor also with all the scare with spesis these days and other infections you can get with just a cut.

Ann R.

I agree with calling the doctor. Make sure you tell them you are allergic to neosporin. Wash your hands well before and after touching the affected area and try not to touch the site any more than necessary. I would also avoid some hair products that are sticky in nature.

It's just NASTY.
If I were totally larval and vile I'd take a picture and post it here...ya'll don't wanna see it do ya? Do ya? Huh? huh? huh?

Can't be any worse than the toe Carolyn!

janetupnorth said:
Can't be any worse than the toe Carolyn!

I dunno - this is pretty funky...

This is just for you KG...

http://dyo.customink.com/cink/r.jsp?E=jsiefert%40gmail.com&F=kg

Nothing fancy...

dannyzmom said:
I dunno - this is pretty funky...

Hey, most of us have had kids...that's much worse! ;)

janetupnorth said:
Hey, most of us have had kids...that's much worse! ;)

So... u wanna see it or what???

Chef Endora said:
I agree with calling the doctor. Make sure you tell them you are allergic to neosporin. Wash your hands well before and after touching the affected area and try not to touch the site any more than necessary. I would also avoid some hair products that are sticky in nature.

Yes, tell them, it is probably contact dermatitis with the Neosporin, but it does contain some antibiotics so you could be allergic to one of them.

I'm glad the warm compresses are helping though...

dannyzmom said:

I'm like Ann E., not much grosses me out...I'm game.

If someone reads the thread, they've had PLENTY of warning!

dannyzmom said:
I haven't been privvy to a conversation like this since third grade. :rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I haven't been privvy to a conversation like this since third grade. :rolleyes:
LOL!!!! Hilarious!
janetupnorth said:
I'm like Ann E., not much grosses me out...I'm game.

If someone reads the thread, they've had PLENTY of warning!

I'm game too, Carolyn! Even though I said my stomach lurched a little earlier, that was over the cream puff idea! Food and puss don't mix! But I can handle seeing anything! LOL! I have kids for goodness sakes! Nothing can be as sick as some of the crap we've had to view and smell when it comes to our kids!:yuck: :eek: :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

Last edited:
How's the ear this morning Carolyn?

pamperedlinda said:
How's the ear this morning Carolyn?

It's itchy all round the ear is well now...you can see the bumps in the picture :(
TestShots1122.jpg

TestShots1123.jpg

Oh Carolyn - please go to the doctor! It looks like the irritation/infection is spreading to around your ear too. It brings tears to my eyes to see it! :cry:

OK-it is time to go to the DR!!! See that lump under your ear??? NOT GOOD!!!
I don't care how much it costs to go....call now!!!!!

chefmeg said:
OK-it is time to go to the DR!!! See that lump under your ear??? NOT GOOD!!!
I don't care how much it costs to go....call now!!!!!

That is what I noticed too Meg! So NOT GOOD!!!

<h2>1. How do I know if my ear lobe is infected?</h2><p>If your ear lobe is infected, you may experience symptoms such as redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, and discharge of pus or blood. You may also have a fever or feel generally unwell.</p><h2>2. What causes an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>An infected ear lobe can be caused by various factors, such as using dirty earrings, not properly cleaning your piercing, or having an allergic reaction to the earring material. It can also be caused by bacteria or other microorganisms entering the piercing site.</p><h2>3. How should I treat an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>If your ear lobe is infected, it is important to keep the area clean and dry. You can use warm compresses to help reduce swelling and promote healing. It is also recommended to apply an antibacterial ointment, such as bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment, to the infected area. If the infection does not improve or gets worse, seek medical attention.</p><h2>4. Can I use peroxide or neosporin to treat an infected ear lobe?</h2><p>Peroxide and neosporin can be too harsh for the delicate skin of the ear lobe and may cause irritation or allergic reactions. It is best to avoid using these products and stick to warm compresses and antibacterial ointment for treatment.</p><h2>5. How can I prevent an infected ear lobe in the future?</h2><p>To prevent an infected ear lobe, make sure to properly clean your piercing with a saline solution or mild soap and water. Avoid using dirty earrings and make sure to regularly clean and disinfect them. If you have a history of allergic reactions, choose earrings made of hypoallergenic materials. It is also important to not touch or play with your piercing and to avoid submerging it in water until it is fully healed.</p>

1. How do I know if my ear lobe is infected?

If your ear lobe is infected, you may experience symptoms such as redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, and discharge of pus or blood. You may also have a fever or feel generally unwell.

2. What causes an infected ear lobe?

An infected ear lobe can be caused by various factors, such as using dirty earrings, not properly cleaning your piercing, or having an allergic reaction to the earring material. It can also be caused by bacteria or other microorganisms entering the piercing site.

3. How should I treat an infected ear lobe?

If your ear lobe is infected, it is important to keep the area clean and dry. You can use warm compresses to help reduce swelling and promote healing. It is also recommended to apply an antibacterial ointment, such as bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment, to the infected area. If the infection does not improve or gets worse, seek medical attention.

4. Can I use peroxide or neosporin to treat an infected ear lobe?

Peroxide and neosporin can be too harsh for the delicate skin of the ear lobe and may cause irritation or allergic reactions. It is best to avoid using these products and stick to warm compresses and antibacterial ointment for treatment.

5. How can I prevent an infected ear lobe in the future?

To prevent an infected ear lobe, make sure to properly clean your piercing with a saline solution or mild soap and water. Avoid using dirty earrings and make sure to regularly clean and disinfect them. If you have a history of allergic reactions, choose earrings made of hypoallergenic materials. It is also important to not touch or play with your piercing and to avoid submerging it in water until it is fully healed.

Back