• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

December 7, 1941, a Date Which Will Live in Infamy

In summary, on December 7, 1941, the United States was at war while the world was at peace. Japanese forces attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, sinking or sinking many ships and most of Hawaii-based combat planes. The attack rallied Americans into a united cause and much has changed in the world since then.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Towards the end of 1941, the world was at war while the United States was at peace. Slowly, Americans were being drawn into the European war by sending materiel to England on the Lend/Lease program, but American merchant marine vessels were being attacked by German U-boats. American neutrality was in serious jeopardy.The Japanese, meanwhile, were embroiled in a seemingly endless war in China. Japan's lack of natural resources was a problem. When Western powers cut off all trade with Japan in July of 1941, the desperate war machine made plans to seize the rich resources of southeast Asia. War in the Pacific was inevitable. President Roosevelt had moved most of the US Navy fleet to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, to act as a deterrent to the Imperial forces. The Japanese command saw the US Navy as the only roadblock to their Imperial ambitions.On Sunday, December 7, 1941, the Japanese fleet launched a massive aerial attack from aircraft carriers. Within minutes, five of eight battleships at Pearl Harbor were sunk or sinking. Several other ships and most Hawaii-based combat planes were also knocked out.
pearl42.jpg

This image of the Arizona, sunk and burning, is probably second only to the flag raising,
on Mount Surabachi on Iwo Jima, in the minds of Americans for WWII.

Over 2400 Americans died in the attack.The best piece of luck for the Americans, which spelled the eventual doom for Imperial Japanese aspirations, was that the American aircraft carriers were at sea on maneuvers. Had the carriers been in Pearl Harbor, the war might have been, at best, prolonged or at worst, lost.It's been 66 years since the attack that rallied Americans into a united cause and much has changed in the world. Please, take a moment and remember the Americans who perished on this date in 1941.
ArizMem2.jpg

The Arizona memorial today.

Thanks KG! I'm sad but I've had our local news on all morning and they have NOT mentioned anything so far. How sad for those whose lives were forever changed by this day and how sad for us and our children that those in a position to remind all of us are ignoring what this day in history is. I'm going to call the station right now and complain.

Wow, Diane, I can't believe your local media aren't mentioning this. Here it's gotten serious airtime, and by serious, I mean it's gotten more airtime than the stories about the LSU football coach signing his contract extension!Thanks, KG, for your excellent post on the subject.

You would think in an area with as many military bases as we have... we'd be hearing more... I need to change channels .... maybe someone else is remembering

DH went in early to work to make sure the flags there were flying half-mast.

This is a day a of National Remembrance. I sure hope it gets talked about in schools, and with no revisionist history slant!

Captain Franklin van Valkenburgh ran to the bridge of his ship, the USS Arizona, minutes before the ship exploded under fire. There were three men on the bridge including an ensign and quartermaster. Van Valeknburgh directed the defense of his ship from the bridge until a violent explosion tossed the three men to the deck. The ensign survived but the other two men were never seen again. Nothing of his remains were ever found, except for his Naval Acadamy class ring, which was later found in the wreckage.He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, the highest military honor bestowed by the United States.

Thanks again for the great reminder...and the reminder to teach my kids about it today.

Thanks for the reminder, KG. The men at Pearl Harbor gave the ultimate sacrifice. I'm grateful for all of the men and women who willingly put themselves in possible harm's way to secure my safety.

Nearly 1.5 million gallons of fuel went down with the USS Arizona. About two quarts bubble to the surface daily which survivors refer to as "black tears." Estimates say about 500,000 gallons remain, guaranteeing that the black tears will continue for decades.(Assuming that some environmental do-gooder does not find a way to ruin it.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nearly 1.5 million gallons of fuel went down with the USS Arizona. About two quarts bubble to the surface daily which survivors refer to as "black tears." Estimates say about 500,000 gallons remain, guaranteeing that the black tears will continue for decades.

(Assuming that some environmental do-gooder does not find a way to ruin it.)

That is very interesting - and a fact I hadn't heard before. What a reminder of who & what lies at rest beneath the water...

A Day of RemembranceA year later bump.

Most of this post was reproduced in today's Update thread, but not everyone reads it anymore - so here's a reminder for those of you about what is significant, and special, about this day.

And, 67 years ago, it was also a Sunday.

It is my grandfather in-law's birthday. He's turning 80 years old. What a birthday!

When we moved back to the states in 2005 from Japan, we stopped in Hawaii for a few days vacation. One of the first things we did was go to the Arizona memorial. I was in tears from the moment our feet set foot on the memorial. It is a very powerful place..........

My Mom and Dad were married on December 7, 1935. They said this was really hard for their 6th anniversary! Just think...everyone heard this on the radio! There was very little TVs around to show it "up close and personal" as the 9/11 attacks were shown! I think the saddest part is that so few bodies were ever found because of the devastation! I had never heard the "black tears" thing either!

1. What event occurred on December 7, 1941?

On December 7, 1941, Japanese forces launched a surprise attack on the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

2. Why is this date significant?

This date is significant because it marked the United States' entry into World War II. The attack on Pearl Harbor also led to the United States declaring war on Japan and later, Germany and Italy.

3. How many casualties were there during the attack?

The attack on Pearl Harbor resulted in 2,403 American deaths and 1,178 wounded. 4 American battleships were sunk and many other ships and aircraft were damaged or destroyed.

4. How did the United States respond to the attack?

Following the attack, President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivered his famous "a Date Which Will Live in Infamy" speech to Congress, calling for a declaration of war against Japan. The United States also implemented various measures to strengthen its military and prepare for war.

5. How is December 7, 1941 remembered today?

December 7, 1941 is remembered as a day of remembrance and honor for the lives lost during the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is also recognized as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day in the United States and is marked by commemorations and ceremonies at the Pearl Harbor memorial in Hawaii.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back