• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Could It Be? Is D.b. Cooper Alive?

interesting circumstantial evidence.Minnesota? Well, that was the base of Northwest Orient Airlines (and still is for Northwest Airlines, that succeeded it) so it's possible that Cooper worked for Northworst and knew the procedures. The 727 (except for some very early DC-9's) was the only aircraft the scam would work on, because they were the only aircraft with tail stairs. Cooper had to know what equipment would be used on that flight.Cooper's "brother" claims that he bought a house in the Washington woods and lived out his life there.Unless she has some $20 bills with the recorded serial numbers, it's pretty hard to tell.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Long before many of you were born, a man who was actually a common criminal, became kind of a folk hero for pulling an uncommon crime.

In 1971, A Northwest Orient Airlines flight from Portland to Seattle was hijacked by a man who called himself Dan Cooper. Police were checking out someone listed in the phone book as D.B. Cooper (just in case he was dumb enough to use his real name) and the press got ahold of the name. The result was that the hijacker became forever became known as D.B. Cooper.

Cooper claimed to have a bomb with him on board. The plane landed in Seattle, and he promised to release the passengers for $200,000.00 and a flight to Mexico. He was given the money, he released the passengers, and the plane took off for Mexico.

Authorities figured they had him nailed and that he would be arrested as soon as the plane touched down in Mexico. He fooled them, though, because somewhere near the Washington/Oregon border, he exited the plane through a rear stairway and parachuted into the night.

No one has heard anything of him since. A bag, known to belong to Cooper, washed up on the shore of the Columbia River near Vancouver. It contained almost $6,000.00 and prompted the theory that Cooper had died in the fall, or from exposure afterwards.

An awful movie (starring Robert Duvall and Treat Williams) was made about the caper and legends became the norm. Like all high profile cases, it soon quieted down and was forgotten. The final accepted theory was that Cooper perished during the fall.

Until this week.

Some children dug up a parachute in Oregon this week - and authorities are scrambling to find out if it is, in fact, the parachute that D.B. Cooper used to exit the plane. It's the best lead authorities have had in over 30 years.

Authorities, who never found a trace of him, are sticking to their story that he never could have survived the fall or, if he did survive the landing, that he could have survived in the wild.

But the find is reawakening discussion about a rare hijacking that might have actually worked.

I have heard this story a few times. Very interesting.

The best lesson of the recent developments? Children should be outside playing!;)

Yes, very common story...interesting......and I agree about the playing...I had my two out Saturday in the snow just to get energy out - we cannot WAIT until spring...

yuck! Did I just show my age?:yuck:

The FBI reopened the case a couple of months ago, and I don't think the kids were playing as much as they were out looking for clues. They found the parachute sticking up, out of the ground, that their father had disturbed while building a road.HarlettOhara wrote about this on the Help Find The Missing site back in January. The link goes to her article if you'd like to read more about it.

KIDZ!
rolleye0001.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I was going to make a comment about you being way older than both of us... ;)

...but figured you'd take care of that! :rolleyes: :p

Anyone watch Prison Break?

One of the characters on there was allegedly DB Cooper (it was the old guy - his name was Charles Westmoreland). He swore he wasn't but he told Michael just before he died where a ton of money was that he had buried.

My boyfriend is a hiker and always talks about going out to try and find the money (like a treasure hunt). I'll have to tell him about this new development.

Here's a rather interesting article about a possible D.B. Cooper. It was published in Useless News and World Distort in the July 24, 2000 edition.US News Online - http://www.usnews.com/usnews/doubleissue/mysteries/cooper.htm.A widow in Florida thinks she might have been married to him.

Very interesting and it makes you think maybe it was him?? :chef:

Unless she has some $20 bills with the recorded serial numbers, it's pretty hard to tell.A guy in Minnesota claims it was his brother, and he also has some compelling circumstantial evidence. Minnesota? Well, that was the base of Northwest Orient Airlines (and still is for Northwest Airlines, that succeeded it) so it's possible that Cooper worked for Northworst and knew the procedures. The 727 (except for some very early DC-9's) was the only aircraft the scam would work on, because they were the only aircraft with tail stairs. Cooper had to know what equipment would be used on that flight.Cooper's "brother" claims that he bought a house in the Washington woods and lived out his life there.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Unless she has some $20 bills with the recorded serial numbers, it's pretty hard to tell.

A guy in Minnesota claims it was his brother, and he also has some compelling circumstantial evidence. Minnesota? Well, that was the base of Northwest Orient Airlines (and still is for Northwest Airlines, that succeeded it) so it's possible that Cooper worked for Northworst and knew the procedures. The 727 (except for some very early DC-9's) was the only aircraft the scam would work on, because they were the only aircraft with tail stairs. Cooper had to know what equipment would be used on that flight.

Cooper's "brother" claims that he bought a house in the Washington woods and lived out his life there.

There was a Mythbusters episode on the jumping out of the plane portion of this story...

And did they prove they couldn't do it, even though Cooper did?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
And did they prove they couldn't do it, even though Cooper did?

Not sure, can't find the information on that episode and I didn't watch it all DH did...

I found the theories and results of the raft as a safety device...all the "Point Break" type myths about freefall and talking and catching a skydiver...

...but not that one...

It wasn't D.B. Cooper's parachute...SEATTLE (April 1) - A parachute found buried in southwestern Washington was not used by plane hijacker D.B. Cooper when he bailed out over the Pacific Northwest in 1971, the FBI said Tuesday.Earlier, the man who packed the four chutes given to the mysterious hijacker said they could not have been used by Cooper. Earl Cossey examined the found parachute for the FBI on Friday.He told The Columbian of Vancouver that the newly found chute "absolutely, for sure" could not have been one of the four that he provided."The D.B. Cooper parachute was made of nylon," he said. "This 1945 parachute was made of silk."

I've been following this case since it happened... as a mystery enthusiast.D.B.'s story was recently revisted on CoasttoCoastAM.comTime for a DNA comparison....

1. Could It Be? Is D.b. Cooper Alive?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the whereabouts of D.B. Cooper remain a mystery. Some people believe he may still be alive, while others think he perished during his infamous skyjacking. The FBI officially closed the case in 2016, citing a lack of evidence to continue the investigation.

2. Why do people think D.B. Cooper is still alive?

There are a few reasons why some people believe D.B. Cooper may still be alive. One theory is that he successfully parachuted out of the plane and managed to survive the jump. Another theory is that he was an experienced survivalist and was able to evade capture in the wilderness. Some also point to the fact that none of the marked money from the hijacking has ever been found, suggesting that Cooper may have used it to start a new life.

3. Has anyone ever come forward claiming to be D.B. Cooper?

There have been numerous people who have claimed to be D.B. Cooper over the years, but none of them have been able to provide substantial evidence to support their claims. In 2011, a woman named Marla Cooper came forward and claimed that her uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper, was the infamous hijacker. However, the FBI was unable to confirm her story and the case remains unsolved.

4. What happened to the money from the D.B. Cooper hijacking?

The money from the D.B. Cooper hijacking has never been recovered. In 1980, a young boy found a bundle of $20 bills that matched the serial numbers of the marked money given to Cooper, but it was never confirmed to be from the hijacking. Some believe that the money was lost during Cooper's escape or that he may have buried it somewhere, but its whereabouts remain a mystery.

5. Is there any new evidence or leads in the D.B. Cooper case?

As of now, there are no significant new leads or evidence in the D.B. Cooper case. In 2016, the FBI closed the case after exhausting all leads and resources. However, the case remains open for any potential new information that may arise. The FBI has also stated that they will continue to investigate any credible leads that come in.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy