• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Constellation/Charter Schools - Any Experience with These?

In summary, charter schools are public schools that operate like private schools, with smaller class sizes, uniforms, and a focus on individual attention. They can be a last resort for students struggling in traditional public schools, but there are mixed opinions on their effectiveness. Some charter schools have stricter rules and higher academic standards, as well as mandatory parental involvement. However, it ultimately depends on the specific school, as there can be both good and bad aspects. Charter schools also often have a full range of extracurricular activities. Overall, they offer a different approach to education and may be a good fit for some students.
chefsteph07
Anyone know anything about these or have experience w/ a child in one?
My stepson (13) just got accepted this year to start at the end of the month..they are set up like a private school but they are public.
Smaller class sizes, uniforms, etc. more individual attention. We are hoping that this is what will straighten out his attitude and his grades, kind of a last resort.

If anyone is familiar or has a child in one, can you please share your experiences and what to expect as parents and as a student?

I know there have been reports in my area about charter schools not being the solve-all solution because the teachers don't have to be certified, and the facilities often don't include seemingly basic school rooms like gyms.

I don't have personal info (my kids are too young) BUT I have heard from other mothers that it really depends on the school. If this one doesn't work for him try another one. They can be very different and you may just need to find the right fit.

I think it's great that you are doing this for him. Keep up the good work!!

The Charter Schools in this area are highly thought of, and offer a full range of extra-curricular activites (I've set up a vendor table for a fundraiser in the gymnasium of a couple of them).

My brothers kids went to one, it had a waiting list, and I know that they had much stricter rules and higher academic standards than the public schools in the area. There was also a mandatory parental involvement. Parents had to volunteer to help with activities in order for their kids to go there.

I guess Charter Schools are like anything else - you get the good and the bad, depending on the one you choose.

ChefBeckyD said:
The Charter Schools in this area are highly thought of, and offer a full range of extra-curricular activites (I've set up a vendor table for a fundraiser in the gymnasium of a couple of them).

My brothers kids went to one, it had a waiting list, and I know that they had much stricter rules and higher academic standards than the public schools in the area. There was also a mandatory parental involvement. Parents had to volunteer to help with activities in order for their kids to go there.

I guess Charter Schools are like anything else - you get the good and the bad, depending on the one you choose.

Yes, this is like how they are here. There was a waiting list, ss mom applied for him right after his regular school ended and she called me yesterday stating they called him and there was an open space for him so we are going to go for it. There is mandatory parental involvement and they have high academic standards, which he needs. He also needs the smaller classroom with more attention and they also focus on family values and moral character, which we thought was wonderful.

We feel honored that he was accepted, and we hope that working w/ his teachers will help ss more than his regular public school. We don't want him falling through the cracks, which is what we started to see happening. Thanks for your input Becky!

chefsteph07 said:
Yes, this is like how they are here. There was a waiting list, ss mom applied for him right after his regular school ended and she called me yesterday stating they called him and there was an open space for him so we are going to go for it. There is mandatory parental involvement and they have high academic standards, which he needs. He also needs the smaller classroom with more attention and they also focus on family values and moral character, which we thought was wonderful.

We feel honored that he was accepted, and we hope that working w/ his teachers will help ss more than his regular public school. We don't want him falling through the cracks, which is what we started to see happening. Thanks for your input Becky!

You're welcome. If it's like the ones I'm familiar with, be prepared for tons of homework!

If the Public School System that we are in wasn't so good, I would consider making the drive to a charter school in one of the neighboring districts. There are no charter schools in my district - but the districts surrounding us have them. We are very blessed, in that our schools are so good, that there is a "school of choice" waiting list of students trying to get in here, too!

Good luck with this!

My son goes to one. Last year was the first year for the school. It was really great. All of the teachers are qualitied, certified teachers, and had to go through a tough hiring process. They incourage parent involvement, but it is not required.

Our school is based on the concept of visual learning and creating gifted learners. All students (starting in K) at taught spanish and sign language. No we don't have a gym as someone mentioned, but we have full time PC teachers that work with the kids several times a week, much more than regular public school students are getting in this area.

The biggest differences I see are, the differnce in the way we are able to use our state funding and the level of parent commitment.

ShanaSmith said:
My son goes to one. Last year was the first year for the school. It was really great. All of the teachers are qualitied, certified teachers, and had to go through a tough hiring process. They incourage parent involvement, but it is not required.

Our school is based on the concept of visual learning and creating gifted learners. All students (starting in K) at taught spanish and sign language. No we don't have a gym as someone mentioned, but we have full time PC teachers that work with the kids several times a week, much more than regular public school students are getting in this area.

The biggest differences I see are, the differnce in the way we are able to use our state funding and the level of parent commitment.

I might be brain dead today... what is a PC teacher?

oops PE teachers! my baby was helping me type that and I wasn't paying too much attention

ShanaSmith said:
oops PE teachers! my baby was helping me type that and I wasn't paying too much attention

LOL - At first I thought - Wow! They teach Pampered Chef? :D

I have had to go back and edit things I posted because my small people 'helped' too. Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

1. What is the main difference between a constellation school and a charter school?

A constellation school is a type of charter school that focuses on providing specialized education in a specific subject or area, such as math and science or the arts. Charter schools, on the other hand, are publicly funded schools that operate independently from the traditional public school system.

2. Are constellation schools open to all students or do they have specific admission requirements?

Constellation schools are open to all students, but they may have specific admission requirements such as auditions or academic criteria. These requirements vary depending on the school and its focus.

3. Can a constellation school convert to a charter school?

Yes, a constellation school can convert to a charter school if it meets the requirements set by the state and obtains approval from the authorizing entity. This process is known as conversion chartering.

4. How are constellation schools funded?

Constellation schools, like charter schools, receive public funding from federal, state, and local sources. They may also receive additional funding from private donations or grants.

5. Are there any drawbacks to attending a constellation school?

While constellation schools offer unique educational opportunities, they may have limited resources compared to traditional public schools. They also may not offer certain extracurricular activities or programs that are available in larger public schools.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Stampaholic1961
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Stampaholic1961
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • MissChef