• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Choosing the Best Suitcase Size for Your Conference Trip: Tips and Advice

In summary, Carolyn says that she usually packs whatever she wants when going to a conference, but this year she is packing a large rolling suitcase to avoid any problems.
cookie325
This may be a totally stupid question, but what size suitcase do you guys use when going to Conference? Do you use the bigger rolling one, or the smaller rolling carry-on? :confused: I ask because though this is my fifth conference, this is the first time I'm going with my clustermates (I usually go with my husband and a baby, but this time I'm leaving hubs and the kids at home.) We are driving, not flying, and the car owner said that I can pack whatever, but my Director said she only takes two small duffel bags, and I just don't see how the heck I'm going to pack that light. :eek: We're leaving here on Sunday, and will return Friday - so five days. I worry that all my stuff won't fit in a carry-on. Plus toiletries. OY VEY!! What would you do?

I feel your pain! I am at a loss too! :)

I take a large rolling case. This year I'm putting a few of my things in a garment bag. So, those will be the only two pieces I carry.

I went to Leadership in Denver with only a carry on. It's completely up to you!

In the past, I've always done my carry-on with a softside luggage piece inside so I would have something to lug home all the stuff I bought, but don't know that that will be an issue this year, so I too am debating checking a large rolling case vs. a stuffed carry-on with just a tote and purse. For me, just a carry-on will save me $50 bucks on checked luggage charges and right now, I'd really like to save that $50. Not much help, huh? Just keep in mind that you can second guess yourself to death, so try not to stress over it too much. Have a great trip!

I think it totally depends on YOU and what you're planning to pack.
I got a big rolling garment bag/suitcase because I am packing pantsuits and a couple of casual outfits to wear when we go out to dinner and non-conference places. Plus I have shoes for each outfit, undergarments, toiletries and incidentals. Plus I want to leave some room for gifts they send home with us. I also bring a rolling backpack (like the rolling dots tote) to take on the plane with me.

Pack how you want--but check with your group before to see what they are doing.

My 1st conference I checked my bag only to find out no one else did. My Dir. was VERY upset with me b/c she booked the flights close to when they needed to be at a dir. event and didn't have the time to "wait" for me to get my bag. It worked out. I think they were late--but I had no idea that was their plan.

Personally I bring too much, but would rather have an extra change of cloths if needed.

The biggest reason that I don't like to check my bag on the way there is that if it doesn't happen to go WITH ME in the bottom of that plane... I am sad! My upline had this happen and you are pretty lost without your things so I try to put it all in a carry on and then on the way home I check the bag so I don't have to worry about it. It does keep me from taking too much. This year with an extra day, it will be a bit more of a challenge. I got a couple of those space bags to put some things in and compact items that it won't hurt to do that to wrinkle wise.

Thank you guys so much! Since we're not flying, I'm not worried about checking bags (which I personally always do, but that's because I can't pack everything needed for an infant into a carry-on...this year, that's not a problem!) My biggest concern was my cluster seeing my suitcase and thinking I'm a complete nutcase! :eek:

Carolyn - you hit the nail on the head. I dress business casual at conference, but after hours, I want to have casual clothes. And I am a shoe-aholic, so I do have a pair of shoes for each outfit (well, I exaggerate...I am going to end up taking 4 pairs of shoes I think, with maybe 3 handbags.) :p I normally just pack whatever I want since I only go with my family, and my hubs knows I tend to overpack. But my cluster doesn't know my dirty little secret!!! :blushing: Still, its looking like a large rolling suitcase is going to be the way to go for me. I just hope I don't overdo it!

This week I was house-sitting for a friend, so this was a test for me: Could I fit an entire week's worth of clothing and toiletries in my carry-on? Guess what? I could easily fit 3 pairs of pants, a pair of capris, several blouses and shirts, undies, nighty, socks and a change of shoes in there. Plus got a ziplock and started shoving trial sizes in ...If I was flying an airline that didn't charge me baggage fees, though, I'd take the bigger case. It's not that much bigger and I'd have room to take the freebies home if I was going to conference, and wouldn't have to worry about getting trial sizes of shampoo and the like.

Di, thanks for your input! I did decide to take the bigger suitcase - better to over-pack than under...BUT...keep in mind that if you're flying, I think you DO have to take trial sizes of toiletries to be TSA compliant. I don't think they allow full sizes anymore, though I could be wrong. But I thought I read that somewhere last year...

There is no way I could carry on! I have so many different lotions, washes, shampoo and conditioner's, shaving cream, liquid make up, etc. I refuse to pack all these things in tiny 3oz bottles. Plus, I am bringing 8 pairs of shoes :D

If you're checking luggage, you can go ahead and put the full-sized stuff in there. The clear plastic baggie thing is for those who are carrying on. Believe me, I've been obsessing over whether glass bottles of foundation are OK, and whether I can find a smaller container for my texturizing paste, and whether I need to put my lipstick, or for that matter, the rest of the Mary Kay compact, in the baggie ... What I can't fit in there I will buy in Colorado because that's where I am going. Wish I was going to Chicago! But I figure that if I can survive for 7 days on the contents of a small case, those on the fence can get by with it IF THEY MUST.

What size suitcase should I buy?

The size of your suitcase depends on how long your trip will be and how much you plan to pack. As a general rule, a 22-24 inch suitcase is suitable for a weekend trip, a 26-28 inch suitcase is good for a week-long trip, and a 30-32 inch suitcase is ideal for trips longer than a week.

Do airlines have size restrictions for suitcases?

Yes, most airlines have size restrictions for carry-on and checked luggage. The standard size for carry-on luggage is 22 x 14 x 9 inches, while checked luggage can typically be up to 62 inches (length + width + height) and weigh no more than 50 pounds. It is important to check with your specific airline for their size restrictions before purchasing a suitcase.

What is the difference between soft-sided and hard-sided suitcases?

Soft-sided suitcases are made with flexible materials such as fabric or nylon, making them lighter and more flexible for easy storage. Hard-sided suitcases are made with a rigid material such as polycarbonate or ABS, providing more durability and protection for your belongings. The choice between soft-sided and hard-sided suitcases ultimately depends on personal preference.

Can I use a larger suitcase than the recommended size?

Technically, you can use a larger suitcase than the recommended size, but it may result in extra fees for overweight or oversized luggage. It is always best to stick to the recommended size to avoid any additional charges.

Are there any other factors to consider when choosing a suitcase size?

In addition to trip length and airline restrictions, you may also want to consider the weight of the suitcase itself, as well as any additional features such as expandable compartments or built-in locks. It is also important to make sure your suitcase can easily fit into your mode of transportation, such as a car or train.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• aussiecook
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
lmradlein
  • DebinCincy
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • babywings76