• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can anyone offer relief for scoliosis-related back pain in young athletes?

In summary, my dd was diagnosed with a minor case of scoliosis a few months back. The curve is so slight that her Dr. couldn't see it. She has been complaining of back pain while playing soccer for a at least 2 years now. So I insisted on x-rays which showed the problem. But my question is anyone have this or know someone who does who has pain related to it? and what do they do for relief?
reba515
my DD was diagnosed a few months back. The curve is so slight that her Dr. couldn't see it. She has been complaining of back pain while playing soccer for a at least 2 years now. So I insisted on x-rays which showed the problem.

But my question is anyone have this or know someone who does who has pain related to it? and what do they do for relief?

I feel so bad for this kid she's 14 soccer is her LIFE! she made the varsity team as a freshman this year. The only time it actually hurts is when shes running/ playing.

She's already going to P/T and the chiropractor, uses those stick on heat pads and takes a few Excedrin Back & Body before playing.

what else can we do!!!??

Acupuncture?

I have been diagnosed with a minor case in my lower back. I started out by seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week. I am now down to every 2 weeks. I haven't tried acupuncture but I do a lot of stretching. I have problems when I work out as well and the stretching really helps.

I too have scoliosis. I was diagnosed when I was in middle school. I did not have any problems with back pain until I got into high school and started playing field hockey and softball. I have also swam competitive all my life. I never did anything about the pain other than pain medicine. I have been working with PTs so that I can get into PT school myself but I know that they do not get along very well with chiropracters. Anyways I guess I have not been much help but tell this girl that the pain is normal and really do the exercises that the PT gives her.

thanks. I keep telling her how important it is to do the stretches the P/T gave her she usually is pretty good about it but I know she hates it so who really knows how much she is actually doing. I mean I can watch her do them but this dosen't mean she's getting REALLY stretching. KWIM?

The thought w/ doing both the chiro. & P/T was to streghthen & straighten.

Like I said before if she wasn't an athlete this would'nt so much an issue.the curve is so slight

I know what you mean about the curve being so slight. My curve is the same way and sometimes I think that I am making a bigger deal of it than I need to be. Like I said, I was very athletic and always wondered if the pain would be less if I was not doing sports. I was also one that would appear to be stretching but not really. Now I wish I had done the simple things such as stretching to help prevent injuries and maybe not hurt as much all over now. Anyways I hope that this helps a little.

When I first entered the Air Force I got diagnosed with a 10 degree curverature. I was 18 at the time. Stretching and strengthening the muscles supporting the back are the absolute best things you can do. I do have pain here and there but most of the time I can ignore it. But I'm also the type of person who, once I understand where the pain is coming from, I deal with it much better.

Being 40 now, it really has never gotten worse. My back just feels "tired" alot. Definitely encourage to do what she can. This doesn't have to have a huge impact on her life, especially since it is slight, but she has to do her part. That's a tough concept for teenagers though.

Good luck!

My 10 yr old DD was diagnosed with 11% curvature 2 years ago. Her pediatrician told us that referrals were not routinely done to Orthopedics for that degree of curvature. If she was at 20-22% he'd refer her and once it would get to a 40+ they definetly do surgery. He also told me that she wouldn't straighten up anymore. "We just need to watch her and re-assess every year" he said. Well, I couldn't just sit there and cross my arms and wait for my daughter to keep curving. We faithfully prayed for the Lord to guide us in this matter and it so happened that a Sister from church has a brother that is a Chiropractor. She mentioned our situation and he requested to see my daughter. He looked over her x-rays and checked her hips and feet. Surprisingly we found out that she is flat footed more on one foot then the other causing one of her hips to slightly tilt forward, therefore causing the curvature. Well, long story short... she has been wearing orthopedic insoles and she's being given adjustments every 2 weeks ever since and a year later, x-rays were retaken and her scoliosis is now at 6%... Praise the Lord. He also has her doing special exercises with an exercise ball every night before bedtime.

Our Chiropractor believes that all children should be checked by a Chiropractor routinely, especially during growth spurts.

1. What is scoliosis?

Scoliosis is a medical condition characterized by an abnormal curvature of the spine. It can affect people of all ages, but it is most commonly diagnosed during adolescence.

2. How do I know if I have scoliosis?

The most common symptoms of scoliosis include uneven shoulders or hips, a noticeable curve in the spine, and back pain. However, the only way to know for sure is to see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.

3. Can scoliosis be treated?

Yes, there are various treatment options available for scoliosis. The most common treatment methods include physical therapy, bracing, and in severe cases, surgery.

4. Will scoliosis affect my daily life?

In most cases, people with scoliosis can lead normal lives with proper treatment and management. However, it is important to listen to your doctor's recommendations and avoid activities that may worsen your condition.

5. Can I still use Pampered Chef products if I have scoliosis?

Yes, our products are designed for everyone to use regardless of their medical condition. However, if you have difficulty using any of our products due to scoliosis, we recommend consulting with your doctor for any modifications or alternative options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieSAChef
Back