• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cake Decorators - Help Me Please

In summary, Teresa is a cake decorator and she plans to make a baby shower cake for a friend. She found a cute cake online and decided to copy it, but wants to put airplanes across the chest area instead of the yellow-whatever-it-is-design (dinosaurs - maybe?) that was used in the sample. She is a self-taught cake decorator and needs layman's terms to explain the decoration to her friend. She also plans to practice with some extra icing before the shower.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I volunteered to make the baby shower cake for a friend :chef:

A little background first: I live in an airpark/fly-in community, which means that most everyone here owns/flies airplanes and we have a runway in our neighborhood. There are about a dozen of us that go to the same hair-dresser and we are giving her a baby shower. I found this cute cake online and decided that I can copy this one! :D But, I want to put little airplanes across it instead of the yellow-whatever-it-is-design (dinosaurs - maybe?) that they used. I'll probably do it the in a similar color scheme as this sample, but I have no clue how to make the little airplanes across the chest area. How would I do that so that they look like airplanes and not blobs? I am a self-taught cake decorator btw so I need laymans terms when you describe it for me....and pictures would be a great help. Thanks!

Here's the cake I plan to copy:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/babyonesiecake1.jpg

I don't do cakes like that, but don't you make the decorations like the ducks or your planes, on wax paper or something and transfer them when they are hardened? You could practice and when they look right use those. My neighbor decorates cakes and she always has a lot of decorations on the side and even saves some for later cakes.

What about finding little airplanes to stick in the cake? Im sure you could find them at a party store. I think that migt be a little easier. With a cake that cute, im sure you cant go wrong! Good luck!

ChefClairissa said:
What about finding little airplanes to stick in the cake? Im sure you could find them at a party store. I think that migt be a little easier. With a cake that cute, im sure you cant go wrong! Good luck!
I thought about that too. I've only looked at Michaels so far - nothing. The shower isn't until March 2nd so I have time.

On cakecentral.com there are a few airplane cakes. A couple people posted that they made there's with gumpasted(?) or white chocolate.

JAE said:
On cakecentral.com there are a few airplane cakes. A couple people posted that they made there's with gumpasted(?) or white chocolate.
I have been all over the internet looking at airplane cakes - there are some really good ones too. I want my little airplanes to look kind of like an embellishment - I really don't want a 3D design. I want it to look like a real onesie. I was thinking about doing it in one color and maybe outlining it in a darker shade kwim?

I'm making DS's bday cake later this week so I'll practice with some of the extra icing.

I used to buy sweet tart type candies at a bulk pantry (we no longer have one here) that were in the shapes of trains planes and automobiles...if you don't have any luck with that, you could try using a mini cookie cutter (see link) as a templet and mark the cake area then pipe in with colored frosting.

http://www.homemadekits.com/site/1396444/product/902-6782965

I do cakes...let me know if you need to pick my brain.

Good Luck
Teresa

ChefTess said:
I used to buy sweet tart type candies at a bulk pantry (we no longer have one here) that were in the shapes of trains planes and automobiles...if you don't have any luck with that, you could try using a mini cookie cutter (see link) as a templet and mark the cake area then pipe in with colored frosting.

http://www.homemadekits.com/site/1396444/product/902-6782965

I do cakes...let me know if you need to pick my brain.

Good Luck
Teresa
Thanks Teresa! I have an airplane cookie cutter that's larger. I was thinking about tracing it, then shrinking it on the copy machine. I also thought I'd look through some of DS's coloring books. The cookie cutter design is the shape that I had in mind.

You are very welcome. Another thought I had was to use royal icing to pipe out airplane shapes. It will dry hard so you could make them on wax paper then place them on the cake. I can post the recipe if you need it.

ChefTess said:
You are very welcome. Another thought I had was to use royal icing to pipe out airplane shapes. It will dry hard so you could make them on wax paper then place them on the cake. I can post the recipe if you need it.
I use the Wilton meringue powder to make Royal Icing - do you have a better recipe?

Nope, thats the one I use as well...Have fun with the cake :)

What about buttons? You said you wanted to make it look like a real onesie. You can find airplane buttons in the sewing department. It could either be the shanked buttons or the flat ones with holes and just pipe a really thin line of icing to look like the thread.

I think it would be most obviously a plane if you did it looking down on it. I searched at a few embroidery web sites and found this:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii177/fikibiff/2502137294708080_1.jpg

Hope that helps!
Niki

Have you looked for those little sugar candy things that you decorate cakes with? Maybe they have some airplanes in those. I like the idea of buttons or woodcraft peices. Just make sure to clean them well and remove them before anyone gets a chance to eat one.

Maybe you could make just 1 airplane instead of 3- then it would be easier to recognize as an airplane (vs a blob) and do a dot or little clouds on either side if you want 3 things across the chest. I also think the idea of using little buttons would be cute-just be sure no one eats one!

susan g said:
Maybe you could make just 1 airplane instead of 3- then it would be easier to recognize as an airplane (vs a blob) and do a dot or little clouds on either side if you want 3 things across the chest. I also think the idea of using little buttons would be cute-just be sure no one eats one!

i bet you could find airplane shaped buttons!
or just go to Target or a toy store and get some mini die-cast planes

I"m no help, but just wanted to say....what a cute cake!

I was going to say just draw it but then again, I dont know if that is something you'd want to do.

Practice on some wax paper, but I think it would be easy to draw. I mean the idea in my head tells me its easy, but telling you how isnt so. LOL

I enjoyed reading the replies, everyone has such great ideas.

I have seen candy icings at the market and Wilson.com that have candy icing with airplanes.
if not there try Joann's fabrics in the cake department:)
l monninger

Try Fondant....they have it pre-mixed in all different colors....you just roll it out and cut your shape out of it. It should work pretty well for a simple plane shape.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area?? I know they have a lot of cake decorations too. I can check here at our Hobby Lobby and also at Mangelson's for you. Let me know Linda.

What are the different types of cake decorating tools?

There are a variety of cake decorating tools available, including frosting bags, piping tips, spatulas, fondant smoothers, and cake decorating brushes.

How do I use a piping bag?

To use a piping bag, fill it with frosting or icing, twist the top closed, and gently squeeze the bag to create the desired design on your cake.

What is the best way to create smooth frosting on a cake?

To create a smooth frosting surface on a cake, use a cake decorating spatula or fondant smoother to gently spread the frosting in an even layer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when decorating a cake?

Some common mistakes to avoid when decorating a cake include using too much frosting, not letting the cake cool completely before decorating, and not using a leveler to create an even surface.

How can I make my cake decorations stand out?

To make your cake decorations stand out, try using different piping tips for varied designs, adding food coloring to your frosting for a pop of color, and incorporating edible decorations such as sprinkles or fondant shapes.

Back