• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boy in the Helium Balloon a Hoax

In summary, the "Boy in the Helium Balloon" story was indeed a hoax orchestrated by the boy's parents for their reality TV show. The boy did not actually fly away in the balloon and was later found hiding in the family's attic. The parents faced consequences for their actions, including criminal charges. The public had a mixed reaction, with some feeling outraged and others criticizing the media for giving the story so much attention without verifying its validity. Similar hoaxes involving children and dangerous situations have occurred in the past.
doughmama
Silver Member
not surprised but sad how people will do anything for attention and $$. just feel badly for the kids.:(

I wasn't surprised either - what a nutcase of those parents to put their kids through that! I saw them on Wife Swap so I wasn't shocked when the news came out.

yes, some people just shouldn't be parents...and congrats on your new recruit!! - or is that an old signature?

I saw them on wifeswap too. Since I also like to storm chase, I stopped to watch this episode. What a strange man. The other couple they swapped with must be laughing their heads off!

We actually had bets going here at work from the minute we heard about it. I saw the wipe swap episode as well and I put money on it being a scam from the get go! Those two seemed so warped on WS, I just knew it had to be a scam. And he said of the skeptics they were pathetic! Who is pathetic now?

What I find more amazing is the attention this story got in the first place. They should have ignored this idiot and his idiot wife as the non story it was.

the attention this story got in the first placethe first time authorities do that and a child is truly in danger, gets who gets in trouble.I hope they put those two in jail for a while.

1. Is the "Boy in the Helium Balloon" story a hoax?

Yes, it was discovered that the entire event was staged by the boy's parents as a publicity stunt for their reality TV show.

2. Did the boy actually fly away in the balloon?

No, it was later revealed that the boy had been hiding in the family's attic the whole time.

3. Were there any consequences for the parents' actions?

Yes, the parents were charged with several crimes, including conspiracy to commit a hoax, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and attempting to influence a public servant.

4. How did the public react to the hoax?

Many people were outraged and felt that the parents had put their child's life at risk for their own gain. Others criticized the media for giving the story so much attention without verifying its validity.

5. Has anything similar happened in the past?

Yes, there have been several other instances of hoaxes involving children and dangerous situations, such as the "Balloon Boy" incident in 2009 and the "Baby Jessica" well rescue in 1987.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
topchef.heather
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies