• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boost Your Health: My Exercise and Diet Changes for the New Year

In summary, Rae made several changes to her exercise and eating habits in order to improve her blood levels and energy level. She also traded her office chair for an exercise ball.
raebates
Staff member
One week ago today millions of Americans made resolutions, pledges, plans, or whatever, for the new year. Personally, I make plans. One of the plans I made was to continue tweaking my exercise and eating behaviors to help me be my best, healthiest self. (I made huge changes last year, and they made a big difference to my blood levels--great for a diabetic.) This year I've made a couple of changes to my exercise regime and adjusted a couple of my supplements. I'm beginning to see a difference in my energy level and my waistband. :thumbup:Another thing I did was trade my office chair for an exercise ball. I found one that was roughly the diameter of my chair height. Sitting on an exercise ball forces you to hold yourself up, which strengthens your core muscles. It also encourages movement, since it's tempting to bounce a bit and move around while you're sitting, which burns more calories than simply sitting. So, how are you doing with your, well, whatever?

Wow Rae! Just wanted to say keep up the great job!!

Thanks. While I'm definitely in the "Fluffy" category, i don't put weight loss in my plan. For me, it places the focus in the wrong area. I work on good test numbers and energy level.Of course, knowing my less-than-coordinated habits, my friends are waiting for me to show up with black eyes from falling off the ball into the desk. LOL!

About 10 years ago, I resolved never to make new year's resolutions again. This is the longest I've kept a resolution! :)That being said, I always seem to "improve things" at the start of the year.2009 isn't so bad so far. ;)

Unlike KG who resolved to make no resolutions, thereby making and breaking one in the same sentence? Like I've said before, I believe that "resolution" is Latin for "things I know I should do but really have no intention of doing for any length of time." I know there are people out there who make resolutions and keep them. I'm just not one of them. Plans work better for me.Plus, I tend to re-evaluate how things are working for me 3 or 4 times a year. My friend says I'm the only person she knows who reads self-help books and then actually does what they suggest. LOL!

Decided I'd share my before & after picture. That's me on the left in February 1996. The one on the right is from NC 2008. Unfortunately, the 1996 picture was a really good picture of me. It was also a wake-up call. I am only 5' 2", and in that picture I wear a size 24 (provided it was loose). By the end of that year I had lost about 40 pounds. By and large I've kept all but 15 pounds of that off. Those 15 pounds kind of came and went for about 10 years. I took them off for good 2 years ago.

BeforeAfter.jpg

I'm still 5' 2", and I wear a 14 or 16, depending on the cut. My weight does fluctuate about 7 to 10 pounds due to edema from the diabetes. It's especially bad when I'm in hot, humid weather.

I think your hair looks cuter now too! ;)

Thanks, Janet. It wasn't really as black as it appears, but it was pretty dark.

Rae- I have a funny story about the exercise ball. Before I became a SAHM, I worked in an advertising agency (read: Very lax atmosphere). Well, one of the copywriters read in self about sitting on the exercise ball and so her Boss, the department head (read: makes ton of money) bought everyone on her team those balls to sit on. At the time I was in an entry level position but promoted a couple months after to a print buyer. I moved into an office and had to meet all these outside supplier reps. Well, one day one came in to introduce himself and I was wearing a skirt that day. The bare skin on my leg stuck on the ball and I went face first into my desk. Needless to say I traded the ball for a chair after that. I wanted to use it again once I got to know my reps better, but one day my boss's daughter was in and was playing with it in the hallway and it hit the corner of a filling cabinet and got a hole in it!

But, it really does help your core. I got a bosu ball for Christmas. I am very excited to use it.

Rae- you look great!! In the first picture you look kinda like Ina Garten! :)

If I didn't deal with the public so much, I'd get one for my office at work.

I didn't make an actual resolution, but my goal is to be 100% positive this year and stay away from negative people that bring me down. I just got done reading "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne...very inspiring.

My year has been absoulutely fabulous and I am looking forward to each and every new day this year!!

"Success is MINE in 2009"

I think your beautiful Rae :)

I have kept up with my "changes" so far:

More fruits and veggies

Lowering stress

PCMelissa said:
I got a bosu ball for Christmas. I am very excited to use it.

Bosu Balls are amazing!! they give you a spectacular workout and really help you with balance....

squats on the ball work wonders for the glutes... and pushups with the ball side down really work you.... makes me want to use one now!!

Thanks so much for all of the kind words. And, congratulations to all of you who are moving forward with your decisions to succeed in one way or another this year.

After all of that talk about feeling good, I woke today freezing. Every joint in my body is achy. Now I'm dealing with other, um, issues. Yuck. I certainly hope it's short-lived.

I'm feeling better now, but I did fall off my exercise ball chair today. I reached for something on the floor beside me. It wasn't a good idea. Another of my plans was to write down the stories behind our Christmas decorations and ornaments as I put them away this year. I finally got that done today. Yep, that's right. I just took down my Christmas decorations today.

I measured my waist this morning. In the You books I'm reading Drs. Oz and Roizen stress the importance of your waist measurement. They say that it's a much more important number than what's on the scale. Your waist measurement is also a good way to track your health.Well, as of today I've lost a full inch in my waist! I was shocked. Happy, but shocked. It looks like the changes I've made are working.

Good for you Rae, that is wonderful.

1. How often should I exercise?

It is recommended to aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week.

2. What types of exercises are best for overall health?

A combination of cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises is ideal for overall health. This can include activities such as walking, cycling, weight lifting, and yoga.

3. How do I make healthy choices when eating out?

When eating out, opt for grilled or baked options instead of fried foods. Choose dishes that are rich in vegetables and lean proteins, and limit your portion sizes. Also, try to avoid sugary drinks and opt for water instead.

4. How can I stay motivated to stick with my exercise and diet changes?

Setting realistic goals, finding a workout buddy or support group, and tracking your progress can help you stay motivated. Rewarding yourself for reaching milestones can also help keep you on track.

5. Can I still enjoy my favorite foods while trying to boost my health?

Yes, it's important to have a balanced approach to your diet and allow yourself to enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. Focus on portion control and incorporating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins into your meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
bridedream
  • cmdtrgd
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
  • esavvymom