• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Be Wary of Cooking in Plastic - Is it Safe?

In summary, there is a concern about cooking and reheating food in plastic containers and the potential health risks associated with chemicals leaching into the food. Some members of the conversation have chosen to avoid using plastic in their microwaves, while others are more concerned about the chemicals in their food and water in general. There are also questions about the reliability of research and the influence of companies in the industry. Overall, it is important for individuals to make informed decisions and do their own research when it comes to potential health risks.
redsoxgirl
Anyone else leary of cooking or reheating in plastic?
The post yesterday with the micro-cooker kind of added to my worries.

I just can't see how heating plastic to that high of a temerature can't leach out the chemicals from it in to your food. :yuck:

Maybe I'm just a worry wart... :(

I know this is another controversial subject. I remember reading an email about that recently and looked it up on snopes.com. They said that there is no proven truth that there is a problem microwaving with plastic. They did state that plastic companies have very high regulations on their products.
Here is the link to read it yourself:Urban Legends Reference Pages: Microwaving Plastic Releases Cancer-Causing Agents

plastici do not microwave anything in plastic. i have some info about it that i cannot access at the moment - but when i can i will post it here. no one in my family microwaves in plastic anymore and many do not store food in plastic anymore either. so - no, i do not think you are crazy! ;) i think we are all crazy if we don't believe that all the chemicals in our lives are not affecting our health.

bump

dfdsfs

Re: plastic
jcwarr said:
i do not microwave anything in plastic. i have some info about it that i cannot access at the moment - but when i can i will post it here. no one in my family microwaves in plastic anymore and many do not store food in plastic anymore either. so - no, i do not think you are crazy! ;) i think we are all crazy if we don't believe that all the chemicals in our lives are not affecting our health.

I totally agree on this point.....but I'm not quite as concerned about microwaving in plastic as I am about all of the chemicals in our food and water....and all of the cleaning products we use every day.

That being said - the only plastic piece I use in the Micro is my microcooker. I use prep bowls and stoneware for most things.

If you look on CC under Products and Recipes, you will see PC's official response to this question regarding microwaving in plastic.

i NEVER microwave in plastic. i will try and find my resources to post - but it's something i am really leary of!

I've never liked plastic. Just one of my weird traits. Has nothing to do with cancer; I've been like this as long as I can remember. Glasses, plates, mugs, tupperware, generic tupperware, etc. I've never mentioned micro-cookers or Rice Cooker plus in my shows because I've never used them...They sell anyway!

How about this.. I don't even use the microwave.... We do need to be aware of what we do and how we do it. It is up to you to take care of yourself!! That is my choice... You are free to choose what you want to do. Just do plenty of research.. And beware of snopes. I have seen 3 things on there that are not true. Does anyone know who pays for the research snopes does?? I guess I sound so radical. I don't mean to.. LOL I always look at the researchers.. It is hard for me to believe say.. plastic is ok when the plactics companies pay for that research that says it is ok. Kinda what the tobacco companies did for years. You should never feel bad about checking out potential problems for you and your family.

gingertannery said:
How about this.. I don't even use the microwave.... We do need to be aware of what we do and how we do it. It is up to you to take care of yourself!! That is my choice... You are free to choose what you want to do. Just do plenty of research.. And beware of snopes. I have seen 3 things on there that are not true. Does anyone know who pays for the research snopes does?? I guess I sound so radical. I don't mean to.. LOL I always look at the researchers.. It is hard for me to believe say.. plastic is ok when the plactics companies pay for that research that says it is ok. Kinda what the tobacco companies did for years. You should never feel bad about checking out potential problems for you and your family.

I don't think you sound radical at all. I feel the same way about knowing who sponsors any research.

Personally, I hate / fear plastic and use as little of it as possible. This whole PBA thing has just added to my aversion. I use glass whenever possible.

1. Is it safe to cook in plastic?

It is generally not recommended to cook in plastic, as high heat can cause chemicals from the plastic to leach into your food. These chemicals can potentially be harmful to your health.

2. What types of plastic are safe for cooking?

Plastics labeled with #2, #4, and #5 are considered safe for cooking, as they do not contain harmful chemicals that can leach into your food.

3. Can I microwave food in plastic?

It is not recommended to microwave food in plastic, as the high heat can cause chemicals to leach into your food. Instead, use microwave-safe glass or ceramic containers.

4. Are there any alternatives to cooking in plastic?

Yes, there are many alternatives to cooking in plastic, such as using glass, ceramic, or stainless steel containers. These materials are safer and do not leach harmful chemicals into your food.

5. What should I do if I accidentally cooked food in plastic?

If you accidentally cooked food in plastic, it is best to discard the food and the plastic container. It is important to avoid consuming any food that has been in contact with heated plastic to prevent potential health risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedmomto3
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • PCALISON437613
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedprincess
  • DebbieJ