• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Take a Child With Them to Shows?

In summary, Taking your daughter to a show as your assistant can be a great bonding experience for you and her. However, you should check with the host beforehand to make sure it's okay.
floccies
I have a 10-year-old daughter and I was wondering if it would be out of line to take her with me to shows as an assistant occasionally?

She could help hand out catalogs, collect products that had been passed around etc.

I thought it would be good to spend time together and make her feel special to get to go with me when the other two kids would be home with my husband.

Does anyone else do this? Any problems?

I don't but my children are 6, 4, and 2~ No children going with me!!:D

the only time I do this is when it is a Childrens Cooking show - my kids are 10 and 13 - and are perfect helpers for this theme show.....but I wouldn't do it for any other shows. Most shows are a chance for moms to get away for the night without their kids.....their own or others.

Melinda

My daughter (13) goes with me, especially if it a larger group. She helps with passing things out and bringing in product. I pay her for helping me too. It helps her realize the value of money and working.
She did go with me when I was with another company and she was 10 then.

HTH-
Kelly

My daughter comes with me to many shows (she's 11) and has been for about 3 years. I tend to have her come to daytime shows only, and very often she does the demo for me while I talk. People seem to appreciate the fact that my daughter takes such an interest in what I do!

Mary

I do not see anything wrong with it. You will always know the host and all and can always decide if some may prefer to not have a child there.

I think its up to you and knowing her maturity level. Maybe you could "try it out" with some of your friends or family hosting shows first. What a great learning experience!! I tried to take my 7 yr. old and she's just not old enough yet, she drove me crazy! She was SOOOOO excited and kept interupting me with "tell them about this" and "show them that"! :rolleyes: I told her afterward how proud I was of her because she really did try to help but it was only like my third show and it was too difficult for me with her there.

I definently will take her or my son when they are a little older, I can't wait!

The times that I took Lucy with me is because the host has asked me to.

Now there was this one time the host asked and so I took Lucy and here her children never showed up and Lucy was my assistant and she did a great job. She was 6 years old then. She handed out catalogs, then the door prize slips passed around the products that I was talking about, collected the door prize slips back and she drew the name of the winner.

I guess you have to judge the kid more then anything.
Would they listen?
Would the child get bored?
What kind of day is the child having?
Does the child have anything else to do (homework, practice for something)?

~

I think it could be a great idea! Especially if she's a good helper. It would really show that you are incorporating your family into your business. Let me also say that I'm not sure I'd bring her if it's going to be a roudy crowd or they will be serving alcohol though.....you might want to check with your host and get a feel for the guests before you do this.

I say go for it!

pamperedlinda said:
...Let me also say that I'm not sure I'd bring her if it's going to be a roudy crowd or they will be serving alcohol though.....you might want to check with your host and get a feel for the guests before you do this.

This was going to be my caution, as well. My (now 15) daughter came with me a lot when I first started. She earned 10-15% of what I earned, depending on how helpful she was. It was a good time for us.

However, I never thought to ask my hosts if it would be okay. I had a catalog show with a new host, and a cooking show booking off of her. Then, she was holding her own cooking show. Now, keep in mind, that this particular host ended up being the host from you know where, and I consequently fired her as a host and customer (don't you just LOVE this business?!)

When I was doing my host coaching calls, she specifically asked that I not bring her to her show, because she would be serving alcohol, and she was uncomfortable having her there. I had no problem having her see others drink, it opens up the door for conversation about responsibility and right and wrong as far as I am concerned, but the host was adament. So, she didn't come.

After that, I started asking the host if they minded, and I never had another host say not to bring her. But I felt better knowing they knew she was coming.

HTH!

Nine year oldMy nine year old daughter has expressed a desire to come to the shows with me. She is very mature and helps me at home with as much baking and cooking as I let her.
She just appears when I start opening the fridge to make dinner or dessert. It's funny but she ALWAYS wants to help. She loves mixing, stirring, measuring and of course cracking eggs into the recipes.

I have thought about taking her and most of my hosts would not have minded but of course I would still ask first. Alot of my hosts are from my church, others are friends of mine, and then there are the referrals.

I think I might bring her one day to see what it's like, but I will wait until it's a show I know will be comfortable for her with people we know really well.

Debbie :D

I'd ask the host. There was a lady I heard of awhile back who took her kids...of course it was a unique situation - one has autism and it became a distraction for her and there were too many complaints. Some moms (hosts) may love it...others may want their PC party to be their "break" from kids. Consider your customer...

I took my 10 year old to shows before, but only to my friends :)

Last edited:
My 14 year old goes with me all the shows that she has time to attend. She is a HUGE help. In fact, some of my regular hosts are disappointed when she can't come. She's my brain!

My ten year old goes with me when she can. She's helped me get some of my best sales.

I bring my 7 year old when it's a friend or family. I might have to bring both her & my 3 year old this weekend; I don't have a babysitter! It's someone I know so it will be okay. I'd rather not bring my 3yr old though....
I think it's your biz; just be sure to ask your hosts first...

Interesting thread! I am signing ( yeah!!!) in the next week or so and plan to work this business with my 17 1/2 yo daughter. She loves to cook ( has even enertained a thought or two of culinary $chool ) and can't find a part time job that suits her, so I suggested that I join PC and she can help me 50/50 with the business and I'll split the profits with her (as long as she does her share!). We are pretty excited about it. I also told her if we worked hard enough and earned a trip, we'd go togeher and leave the boys ( my husband and 2 yo son ) home!

FuturechefinPA - I think taking a teenager (15+) is a great way to introduce them to the working world and let them see what you do. And it is great that you and your daughter can work together!!!

I say ask the hostess first!

I took my daughter to my second cooking show and she was almost 3!

But this was my previous co-worker, and she only had 3 guest show up. One was her Mom, another previous co-worker (whom brought her 4 year old) and my host's best friend.

By the way, the three of us that worked together worked in a daycare -preschool setting, so we were used to having kids on the job. :)

I did however still ask for permission. My husband and two teenagers had gotten free tickets to a festival in the area and wanted to go.

It turned out great, but I don't think I would want to take her to someone's party that I don't know well, unless there was a last minute emergency that would require me to watch her, and I would call the host and explain it first.

I plan to take my son with me when he is older. I homeschool and would love for him to learn how my business works and give him a chance to earn a little bit of money for himself helping me.

That's GREAT.
DebbieSAChef said:
My nine year old daughter has expressed a desire to come to the shows with me. She is very mature and helps me at home with as much baking and cooking as I let her.
She just appears when I start opening the fridge to make dinner or dessert. It's funny but she ALWAYS wants to help. She loves mixing, stirring, measuring and of course cracking eggs into the recipes.

I have thought about taking her and most of my hosts would not have minded but of course I would still ask first. Alot of my hosts are from my church, others are friends of mine, and then there are the referrals.

I think I might bring her one day to see what it's like, but I will wait until it's a show I know will be comfortable for her with people we know really well.

Debbie :D

I sure wished I helped my MOm more, I ALWAYS wanted to be with my
Dad. I know how to do some guy things, but mostly with farm animals!! hehe.

That did help me the last couple of weeks though as my contractor who worked on my house //water damage repairs, was taking care of his daughter's (grown) pets while they took their first honeymoon after 32 yrs, anyways, her goat unexpectly had twins. I used to raise goats, so for those couple of weeks I went and helped milk the mama goat and supervised my contractor (78 yr old) and his assistant's to build a better goat condo :)

They're doing great now too.

Enjoy your daughter and hopefully she'll be more domesticated than I am!!

Liz

Definetly ask the host first then use your best judgement as others have said.

My experience: I have brought my kids twice to shows.
The first was to My SIL's 2nd show with me. My whole family went. DD & Dh went fishing with BIL and kids. I was a little stressed out because my little guy was only 6 months old. Luckily it was a very relaxed outdoor show. I had my Son in an exersaucer under a tree. Also My SIL that did the show has 4 kids (3 had gone fishing) and there was another SIL there to help as well. I would not have done this in anyother situation.

Recently I took my 5yr old DD to a show (she was sooooo excited) but it was at the home of one of her kindergatden friends. When I booked the show I did not know that the hosts daughter and mine were in class together. When the host and I realized that they had class together She asked me to bring her. It worked out pretty well. I talked to my daughter about how I wanted to to act (she is a good girl and very polite). I admit I was a little stressed out durring the demo that she and the other kids would keep comming in and out, but it was fine and I got lots of compliments on how good she was.
I would have not taken her in any other situation. She is good but still she is not even 6 yet.

Last edited:
My daughter is 14 and she and I have been doing this together since last April. I split everything with her - including the work load. I prepare some of the recipe and she prepares some. Also, it has helped a great deal with her business skills. She looks forward to her paycheck and also to balancing our account for PC.
She has even come up with several games that she plays while I am finishing the recipe.
I never thought to ask the hosts about this as I always let them know in advance that my daughter is my partner and will be helping out as well...
They seem to enjoy having her there and all comment on her knowledge of the products and how well spoken she is. She has come a long way with her public speaking as well!

I don't have any children, but I feel the need to comment on this from a host's point of view.There are no kids in my house, so it is not "child-proofed." Because of that, I would be very resentful of anyone who brought a child into my home without letting me know ahead of time and getting my permission. I also view it as unprofessional for the demonstrator to bring a child (emergencies excepted). You don't take your child with you to your FT job, do you? Obviously, some of the situations mentioned above don't fall into this category, as the host invited the children to come.Several years ago, I hosted a PL party, and the rep brough her 3 YO daughter with her to my house to close the party - without asking. The brat (and she was) was into everything and the rep kept blaming me for having breakables on low shelves and not having outlet covers or child-appropriate beverages (specifically Kool-Aid) in the house. I never again did business with that rep, in part because of that.

chefann said:
I don't have any children, but I feel the need to comment on this from a host's point of view.

Several years ago, I hosted a PL party, and the rep brough her 3 YO daughter with her to my house to close the party - without asking. The brat (and she was) was into everything and the rep kept blaming me for having breakables on low shelves and not having outlet covers or child-appropriate beverages (specifically Kool-Aid) in the house. I never again did business with that rep, in part because of that.

I can't believe the nerve of the PL rep! If you don't have children why would you have your home child proof? If you knew that children were coming you might have made some changes but not everything.

Personally, I never "childproofed" my own home - no outlet covers, a woodburning stove in the living room, breakable dishes around, etc. My children know what "no" means and not to touch hot things.

Actually, I'm more worried about my husband breaking something than my kids!!! LOL!

I myself don't have children and my house is totally not child safe, but lucky that friends have taught their kids "no". With that said I think that there is a huge difference between bringing a 3 year old and a 14 year old. If the older child is helping you out and isn't getting in the way then I think that it's great experience for the child.
I have working for me in my kitchen at work two 15 year olds, we treat them like every other employee age isn't an issue. I guess that why it doesn't seem strange to me that somebody would be doing PC with there teen.

1. Can I bring my child to a Pampered Chef show?

Yes, children are welcome at Pampered Chef shows. We understand that finding childcare can be difficult, so feel free to bring your child along with you.

2. Is there an age limit for children at shows?

There is no age limit for children at shows. However, we recommend that children be at least 5 years old so they can fully participate and understand the demonstrations.

3. Will my child be able to help during the show?

Yes, children are welcome to help during the show. Our consultants may have specific tasks for them to do, such as passing out samples or helping with setup and cleanup.

4. Do I need to pay for my child's ticket?

No, there is no charge for children to attend a Pampered Chef show. They are welcome to join for free and participate in the same activities as the adults.

5. Can I bring more than one child to a show?

Yes, you can bring multiple children to a show. However, we recommend that you have one adult for every two children to ensure everyone's safety and enjoyment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedbecky
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BethCooks4U
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Nanisu