• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Any tips for cleaning a dirty electric stove before my MIL arrives?

no one has any good ideas for cleaning electric stove burners, vinegar will work, put a slice of lemon or orange in the pan before turning on the stove and microwaving it for a minute. If it doesn't work, soak in hot soapy water.
jbachen
OK, I admit, I am not the best housekeeper in the world. So I am doing some cleaning before my MIL gets here, and the burners on my electric stove are A MESS! I soaked them all afternoon in hot, soapy water, and am not getting anything off of them. Anyone have a good solution for cleaning these things?

Also, does anyone have handy the trick where you microwave a vinegar solution to make cleaning the microwave easier??

TIA.

Just buy new drip pans, they are really cheap at Target- otherwise soft scrub works well- oh, Bonami- it's a Bar Keepers best friend- it's like comet cleanser but not as harsh and the grains are finer.

HTH-
Hopefully MIL won't come with a white glove on!

jbachen said:
OK, I admit, I am not the best housekeeper in the world. So I am doing some cleaning before my MIL gets here, and the burners on my electric stove are A MESS! I soaked them all afternoon in hot, soapy water, and am not getting anything off of them. Anyone have a good solution for cleaning these things?

Also, does anyone have handy the trick where you microwave a vinegar solution to make cleaning the microwave easier??

TIA.

When I had an Electric Stove, I would use oven cleaner on the pans under the burner rings. I'd lay newspaper in the sink, and then put the pans on top of them, and spray them with the oven cleaner, and then cover them with more newspaper and let them sit overnight - and in the morning, just rinse and they were clean. If you do this, be sure and wear your pink polka dot gloves!:D

OR Go to the nearest hardware store, and buy replacement pans!:eek: :D

Q: What is the definition of "mixed emotions"?A: Watching your mother in law drive off a cliff in your new Cadillac.

KG - That's tooooo funny!

For your microwave, take a piece of citrus fruit (orange or lemon) and a mug of water, put the citrus in the mug of water, microwave for 2-3 mins. Wipe clean with paper towel!

This works like a charm and smells so good when done!

I have a great solution for you! Get a flat-top stove!

vwpamperedchef said:
For your microwave, take a piece of citrus fruit (orange or lemon) and a mug of water, put the citrus in the mug of water, microwave for 2-3 mins. Wipe clean with paper towel!

This works like a charm and smells so good when done!

Ohhhh - I'm going to go do this right now!

Show her the picture of my drip pan (it's over in the MICE!! HELP!! thread on page 2) and suddenly, your house will look like an operating room.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Show her the picture of my drip pan (it's over in the MICE!! HELP!! thread on page 2) and suddenly, your house will look like an operating room.

Thanks, KG, you always know how to put things into perspective! :)

Everyone else, thanks for the tips... I think I am going to go with the Soft Scrub overnight... Although the buying new ones is a great idea, too. And while we are on the subject - does anyone ever wrap the metal pieces under the burners with aluminum foil? I did a show for a hostess a couple of weeks ago who had that in her house, but her husband was the cook and she had no idea of the reasoning behind it. It seems to me like a brilliant idea - when they get dirty, tear off the foil and start over! Anyone else do this??

jbachen said:

Everyone else, thanks for the tips... I think I am going to go with the Soft Scrub overnight... Although the buying new ones is a great idea, too. And while we are on the subject - does anyone ever wrap the metal pieces under the burners with aluminum foil? I did a show for a hostess a couple of weeks ago who had that in her house, but her husband was the cook and she had no idea of the reasoning behind it. It seems to me like a brilliant idea - when they get dirty, tear off the foil and start over! Anyone else do this??

As Ghetto as it looks, yes I wrap the drip pans (that's what they are called) with foil. When DH and I lived on a military base getting things dirty was not really an option. When you clean your house before you move elsewhere they go over it with an ultra white glove and a black light! LOL So I started wrapping drip pans in foil to keep them pretty and sparkly and clean!

Don't soak them in soft scrub- scrub them in soft scrub. :) LOL If all else fails, try a paste of lemon juice and baking soda.

jbachen said:
Life is FAR too important to take seriously.

jbachen said:

TIA.
I am sure MIL is here by now and this is a moot point, but I just take my small batter bowl, add water, put in microwave for about 3 minutes and wipe clean! The boiing water helps loosen up any gunk.

I just purchase new drip pans like others have said, but I also use stainless burner covers so when they are dirty you can't see it! I just can't keep them clean w/my husband and kids cooking! They always let things boil over! Yes, I have a boil control from PC, but it doesn't work when they don't use it:)!

Oh my, I just read KG's joke about the MIL and Cadillac...and snorted my drink! Then I saw his mouth picture and about spit out my drink!

Ah, KG, you had such a unique touch!

when I had them I would put them in a black trash bag and spray easy off on them and then rinse them off a few hours later or line them with paper towels and pour ammonia on them and close the bag for a few hoursI also covered them in foil (because thats how I was raised)I'm impressed if drip pans are all your worried about. My family is threatening to burn my list. All our family comes in next week for graduation and I'm freaking out trying to get everything done. I gotta admit some of the things are pretty dumb (clean and defrost both freezers)
my neighbors were here for dinner and they were laughing 'cuz I'm pretty OCD when it comes to cleaning on a daily basis

I use the batter bowl and fill it with water and a little bit of liquid dishsoap. I nuke it for 4-5 minutes and the steam from the water/soap loosens everything up on the inside of the micro and voila! easy cleanup! I also sometimes add a slice of lemon or orange to it as well for that wonderful clean citrus smell but I always add the dishsoap!

Magic Erasers!

I buy those suckers in case lots and cleaned up my nasty burners a few weeks ago. Tore through one or two erasers, but now my stove blings!

I heart Magic Erasers.

Magic Erasers are the absolute best for removing soot - don't ask me how I know this.Also good for cleaning gooky crap like soot is http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SAL.htm. It cuts greasy household dirt better than anything else I've found. http://www.drbronner.com/store/graphics/products/SSLI32.jpg

A little trick my grandmother taught me is that anything that has the sticky residue left behind (from bumper stickers, or removing price tags on items) take a dab of vegatable oil and rub on the spot. It takes it right off!!

Teresa Lynn said:
when I had them I would put them in a black trash bag and spray easy off on them and then rinse them off a few hours later or line them with paper towels and pour ammonia on them and close the bag for a few hours

I also covered them in foil (because thats how I was raised)

I'm impressed if drip pans are all your worried about. My family is threatening to burn my list. All our family comes in next week for graduation and I'm freaking out trying to get everything done. I gotta admit some of the things are pretty dumb (clean and defrost both freezers)
my neighbors were here for dinner and they were laughing 'cuz I'm pretty OCD when it comes to cleaning on a daily basis

This is what I was talking about when I said I soaked them overnight.....I've never tried doing it with soft scrub.

What can I make for my MIL's visit that is easy and impressive?

One dish that always impresses is our famous Bacon-Wrapped Chicken with Garlic & Herbs. It's simple to prepare and bursting with flavor. Plus, the presentation is sure to impress!

How can I accommodate my MIL's dietary restrictions?

We have a variety of recipes and products that cater to different dietary needs. Our Gluten-Free Flour Blend is perfect for baking, and our Veggie Spiralizer can create delicious veggie noodles for a low-carb option. Let us know your specific restrictions and we can help you find the perfect solution.

My MIL is a picky eater, what should I make for her?

We have a wide range of recipes that are sure to please even the pickiest eaters. Our Loaded Baked Potato Soup is always a hit, and our Mini Caprese Bites are a delicious and easy appetizer. You can also browse our website for more ideas and inspiration.

How can I impress my MIL with my cooking skills?

Practice makes perfect! Try out some of our recipes beforehand to get comfortable with the techniques and flavors. Our Easy Homemade Bread is a great place to start, and our Roasted Vegetable Tart is a show-stopping dish that is surprisingly simple to make.

What kitchen tools do I need to make my MIL's visit easier?

Our Garlic Press and Herb Mill are essential for adding fresh flavor to your dishes without the hassle of chopping. Our Deluxe Cooking Blender is also a must-have for easy and delicious soups, sauces, and smoothies. And don't forget about our Quick Slice for perfectly sliced veggies and fruits in no time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • esavvymom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Deb Bixler
Back