• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

America's Most Overpriced Suburbs

Invisible hand" is at work as people are moving to these expensive places because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
JAE
Just thought I'd start a "day of rest" post, you know, not work related. It was on my home page, and I find housing around the country quite interesting. I also like to see where you all live and wonder what it's like to live in places like CA, NY, NJ, WY, and AK among many other places because I've always lived in Michigan. (It is quite different on the east side of the state compared to the west and I have lived in both places.) Anyway, I'd love to hear about where you all live and what you think of the article and how it relates to you. Have a great Super Bowl Sunday. http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas_most_overpriced_suburbs.html

I don't think our suburbs are overpriced, just overtaxed.

I'm living in one of them-- I live in Fairfax County, which is where Alexandria is (mentioned in the article). It is atrocious, and we try not to think about it when we're writing the mortgage payment check every month.

I live in Southern California... it has always been expensive and will always be expensive. You pay for the 365 day outdoor friendly lifestyle. I am a stay at home mom and we own a home. It can be done. The cities they mention in the article are all really close to the beach, so of course they are expensive!

I live in pretty small community for being one our states biggest cities! The houses here can be really reasonable. I'm shocked to watch some of those house shows on HGTV. Some 2 bedroom 1 bath home that would go here for $75,000 are worth $500,000 in places like California! Glad I don't live out there.

Adam Smith's "Invisible hand" at work.The trouble with real estate is that they're not making much of it anymore, so it's all supply and demand.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I don't think our suburbs are overpriced, just overtaxed.
For sure! I agree with that.

We haven't bought a home yet due to us moving every 2-3 years so far (military), but I do know that the amount they would be giving us if we lived on the economy here would be almost 3 times as much as they were giving us in Oregon. But then again, we live in a remote town where it's 6-8 hours to the next big city....summer driving that is.

Yep, lots of people moving outta Cali here to buy a nicer home out of state. Trouble is, once they move out, they will most likely never afford to come back if they don't like it.

My MIL is a perfect example. She sold her house to move to Texas to care for her parents. She will have to retire there now. So now the pressure is on for us to move too. Not gonna happen. I love California too much.

I live in Orange County, CA - if you watch TV or have teenagers who watch TV, then you've heard of my county... let's see there was the show The O.C., Laguna Beach, Real Housewives of the OC, The Real O.C., and probably a few others that I haven't watched. Life is sure expensive here and it's true we do live off of credit, but the sun shines almost everyday, and we are extrememly close to the happiest place on earth ~ Disneyland.

I've visited 24 of our 50 states and even lived in south wisconsin for 4 whole months, only to drive back here as soon as the snow plow cleared the road from the rural house that I lived in, we are talking less than 315 people in Viroqua, WI.

There's no place like home, and although some people gawk at our outlandish lifestyles and extremely overpriced everything, I wouldn't trade any of it.

Where else could you live 10 mins from the beach, 2 hours from another country (baja california - mexico), 45 mins from the snow, and 2 hours form the desert and about 4 hours from wine country? Only in Southern California. Going to other areas of the US is nice for vacations to "get away from it all", but let me tell you after 2 weeks of relaxation and slower pace of life. I am so ready to come home, clean my house and get back into the swing of things. Even though full speed is the only speed of life here.

my 0.02 cents.

allisonserna said:
I live in Orange County, CA - if you watch TV or have teenagers who watch TV, then you've heard of my county... let's see there was the show The O.C., Laguna Beach, Real Housewives of the OC, The Real O.C., and probably a few others that I haven't watched. Life is sure expensive here and it's true we do live off of credit, but the sun shines almost everyday, and we are extrememly close to the happiest place on earth ~ Disneyland.

I've visited 24 of our 50 states and even lived in south wisconsin for 4 whole months, only to drive back here as soon as the snow plow cleared the road from the rural house that I lived in, we are talking less than 315 people in Viroqua, WI.

There's no place like home, and although some people gawk at our outlandish lifestyles and extremely overpriced everything, I wouldn't trade any of it.

Where else could you live 10 mins from the beach, 2 hours from another country (baja california - mexico), 45 mins from the snow, and 2 hours form the desert and about 4 hours from wine country? Only in Southern California. Going to other areas of the US is nice for vacations to "get away from it all", but let me tell you after 2 weeks of relaxation and slower pace of life. I am so ready to come home, clean my house and get back into the swing of things. Even though full speed is the only speed of life here.

my 0.02 cents.

This totally sums it up for me! My Dh was born and raised in Costa Mesa and I was in San Bernadino County. We are now on the Central coast and have no plans on leaving. We like living on the central coast a bit more b/c of less traffic, smog (although not too bad in CM) and crime is a bit lower. So true about the variety of climates here. I took a California history class in college and it was so fascinating! I felt like I was training for a category on Jepordey the whole time. LOL!

Okay end hi-jack! (Go Cali!):D

Related to America's Most Overpriced Suburbs

1. What makes a suburb considered "overpriced" in America?

A suburb is typically considered overpriced if it has a high cost of living, expensive real estate prices, and a high average household income. Other factors that may contribute to its label as "overpriced" include high property taxes, exclusive amenities, and a desirable location.

2. Which cities or suburbs are typically included in the list of "America's Most Overpriced Suburbs"?

This list is constantly changing, but some cities that have consistently made the list include areas like San Francisco, New York City, and Los Angeles. Other suburbs that frequently make the list include places like Greenwich, Connecticut and Atherton, California.

3. How does living in an overpriced suburb affect the daily lives of its residents?

Living in an overpriced suburb can have both positive and negative effects on daily life. On one hand, residents may have access to exclusive amenities and a high standard of living. However, they may also face financial strain and have to make sacrifices in order to afford the cost of living.

4. Are there any benefits to living in an overpriced suburb?

Yes, there can be benefits to living in an overpriced suburb. These areas often have low crime rates, highly-ranked schools, and access to top-notch healthcare facilities. They may also offer a sense of community and a high quality of life.

5. Is it worth it to live in an overpriced suburb?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on an individual's personal preferences and financial situation. While living in an overpriced suburb may come with desirable benefits, it also comes with a high cost of living. It's important to carefully consider all factors before deciding if it's worth it for you to live in an overpriced suburb.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • pcsharon1
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies