• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alexander Solzhenitsyn Dead at the Age of 89.

In summary, Solzhenitsyn was a brilliant writer and thinker who had a lot to say about world politics and history. He was also a very prophetic speaker, having given a speech at Harvard 30 years ago that is still very relevant today.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I'm strange, I know - but world politics, and history, are loves of mine.

A. Solzhenitsyn was an incredible man & thinker. I have been fascinated with him since I was in High School - here is some info about him, and a link to an eerily prophetic address he gave at Harvard 30 years ago.

World News - Soviet dissident writer Solzhenitsyn dies at 89
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/solzhenitsyn/harvard1978.html

ChefBeckyD said:

A. Solzhenitsyn was an incredible man & thinker. I have been fascinated with him since I was in High School - here is some info about him, and a link to an eerily prophetic address he gave at Harvard 30 years ago.

Well, I really tried to read the address, but there were too many words that I had to think too hard about the meaning. I'll have to read it when I'm not tired.

JAE said:
Well, I really tried to read the address, but there were too many words that I had to think too hard about the meaning. I'll have to read it when I'm not tired.
Yeah, it's not bedtime reading!

I saw this earlier on the news very sad. He was an amazing man.

Hey Becky...fellow history buff here. A.S. is a favorite author. He had an amazing and biting wit (which is unfortunately lost in most translations of his books...prefer the russian, but his writing can be a challenge to get thru). Sorry to hear of his passing. A truly great man.

ChefBeckyD said:

Yeah, but that's part of why we love you. :love:

The man was an inspiration to many. His is a voice that will be missed.

I've finished about 3/4 of it - will have to finish later. I agree w/some of his points, but many I do not.

Okay I fast forwarded to the last section. He does get to my point which is we have "free will" when it comes to faith in God (or a Supreme Complete Entity as he put it). There is sin in the world. There is no perfect society and never will be; however, I will take a democratic society over a socialized one any day.

We are humans and that "free will" always gets us into trouble:yuck:! There is no way of saving us from it. As put in the Bible, "Weeds will always be growing among the good wheat. It will not be separated until the harvest."

Last edited:
Remember that the weeds in the wheat also have the right to vote - and most of them are completely uninformed about for whom they are casting their vote. It saddens me to know that my vote can be nullified by some idiot who voted for the other guy because a television commercial told him to.

1. Who was Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn was a Russian novelist, historian, and short story writer. He is best known for his work on the Soviet Gulag system and his criticism of the Soviet Union.

2. How did Alexander Solzhenitsyn die?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn passed away due to heart failure at the age of 89 on August 3, 2008.

3. What were Alexander Solzhenitsyn's most famous works?

Some of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's most famous works include "The Gulag Archipelago," "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," and "Cancer Ward."

4. What impact did Alexander Solzhenitsyn have on Russian literature and society?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn's works were banned in the Soviet Union, but they were widely circulated as samizdat (underground publications). His writing brought attention to the harsh realities of life in the Soviet Union and sparked discussion and debate about the country's political and social climate.

5. How is Alexander Solzhenitsyn remembered today?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn is remembered as a courageous and influential writer who shed light on the human rights abuses and injustices in the Soviet Union. His works continue to be studied and celebrated around the world.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies